2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Bill, You've been using the phrase,"reverse Well" for a few years and I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Can you explain what "Reverse Well" is and offer suggestions on how to avoid it???

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by rXd
I did say reliable history. What were the wandervogel experiences of Hipkins, Bechstein, Blüthner, in Europe and the Steinway sons on the east coast of America and Europe between 1840's and 1853 that led to the simultaneous revolution in piano design. What were the mathematics behind thee scale designs based on and for how long had they been designing along these principles? What was the prevailing temperament at the Royal college of Music when my old friend and mentor was one of the first students there in 1889 and told never to play with piano accompaniment if he wanted to be a string ensemble musician? Indeed, what was the prevailing pitch. It wasn't until 1895 that 439@68* was adopted for the proms. A lowering of 15 Hz. An expensive proposition. I wish I knew enough at the time (I was 12) to ask the right Questions. Would he have had some answers?

At some time, as I say, it ceased to be an issue. There was an academic interest in old temperaments in the 1930's. I have read some of the books, Dolmetsch and C Dayton Miller, etc. Indeed I used to tune the Blüthner upright in Carl's descendants home in Haslemere. I have slapped an old Kay bass that I found under a trailer in the Alleghenies. I know that though the frets are calculated twelfth root of two, they are not tuned in accordance by bluegrass players. Never underestimate the ears of them old rock and rollers from the sixties who are still doing sessions. I am often asked to tune when there's a piano in the mix. they don't want cheesy overstretching either, just like mature string players of the same vintage.

Sorry I I seem to have gone on I was on the train for too long I'll stop now.

I agree that it ceased to be an issue, for the most part, with regard to tuning pianos in the early twentieth century.

However, we are in the twenty-first century and interest in the quality of the aural musical experience has undergone significant changes, as all of you out there know. Orchestras now play with vastly less vibrato than they did in the early and middle part of the previous century, which means the players actually have to try to play the same pitches as each other. HIP players do not attempt to tune ET, but use UTs that they choose to make the music more sonorous. Even some classical and jazz pianists are now choosing to perform on instruments tuned in UTs. Over time, we may find the standard is not some attempt at ET, but many UTs. And at a later, we may be back to ET again. Who knows?

It seems the only "musicians" , and I use that term in jest only, who use ET, are those pop singers who use on-the-fly pitch correction to ensure they sing perfectly in ET. I don't know about you, but listening to truly perfect ET is about the most unmusical experience one can have.

R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Yes. Same stuff different day. But interesting points arising.

The undesirability of popular music rmhamcent is again being blamed upon ET. Please don't rush to some king if emotional judgement on this yet.

Have any of you seen the latest enhanced release of "Help"? I Saw it on television the other day. Yes. It has lost it's character but why?

the Beatles are straining at notes they do actually reach in the enhanced version but far too soon which kinda makes the characteristic straining for tje notes pointless sounding. It was never quite reaching some if the notes that gave the lads that endearing quality we all remember. As Frank Muir said at the time, that "the quality of Mersey is not trained". Nothing wrong with that

If the Beatles played and sang in tune with electronic enhancement but in an unequal temperament of your choice, which one would render the results artistically acceptable? (since it seems that it is only equal temperament in these "enhancements" that causes "artistic" problems, the original is randomly out of tune. ). I choose "help" as a typical example, any of you who are interested may choose your own.

Although, unlike most, I have no emotional attachment to any of this, I am still academically interested.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
RXD, singers don't sing in unequal temperament.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Bill Bremmer RPT
RXD, singers don't sing in unequal temperament.

Aw. You spoiled it for me. But I for my point across.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Most musicians and instruments do not use any particular temperament. Of those that do, most of them are not particularly accurate.

That is why this is a non-issue for me.

Semipro Tech
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Dave B
Bill, You've been using the phrase,"reverse Well" for a few years and I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Can you explain what "Reverse Well" is and offer suggestions on how to avoid it???

Reverse Well is the reverse of Well Temperament. Since in your training and that of most other piano technicians, you were denied the knowledge of what Well Temperament is or that it ever existed, then Reverse Well cannot exist either.

I've been using the term a lot longer than just a few years but I am virtually the only person who ever uses it. Therefore, as most people on here would say, there is no such thing and nobody ever tuned it.

If you buy any book on piano tuning from the most modern down to Cree Fisher and William Braide White from a hundred years ago to Montal in the 19th Century (now conveniently translated to English and available for purchase as such) you will find instructions for tuning the temperament.

Just follow those instructions and whatever the results, it is all good. But if you happen to dig deeper and acquire a book that reveals more profound knowledge and you actually learn to use that knowledge, you will be getting yourself into some serious trouble.

Ignorance is strength. What you don't know won't hurt you.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Temperament is only a function of tuning a fixed pitch instrument. All other instruments and voices practice intonation either very well or not so well.

The recording industry now routinely uses so called "pitch correction software" to help the total package of the product they sell sound more appealing but whenever I hear it, it turn it off. It doesn't sound better to me. I wonder what Billy Holiday would sound like with it deployed? Some people did not really like her singing because so much of it was "in the cracks" as they say. But to me, that is where the artistry was. She had a unique sound and messing around with it could never improve it.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by rXd
Yes. Same stuff different day. But interesting points arising.

The undesirability of popular music rmhamcent is again being blamed upon ET. Please don't rush to some king if emotional judgement on this yet.

Have any of you seen the latest enhanced release of "Help"? I Saw it on television the other day. Yes. It has lost it's character but why?

the Beatles are straining at notes they do actually reach in the enhanced version but far too soon which kinda makes the characteristic straining for tje notes pointless sounding. It was never quite reaching some if the notes that gave the lads that endearing quality we all remember. As Frank Muir said at the time, that "the quality of Mersey is not trained". Nothing wrong with that

If the Beatles played and sang in tune with electronic enhancement but in an unequal temperament of your choice, which one would render the results artistically acceptable? (since it seems that it is only equal temperament in these "enhancements" that causes "artistic" problems, the original is randomly out of tune. ). I choose "help" as a typical example, any of you who are interested may choose your own.

Although, unlike most, I have no emotional attachment to any of this, I am still academically interested.

Agreed, I shouldn't blame the crap we hear on enhanced ET. It would sound just as bad in enhanced UTs. It is the removal of the musician from the music that is the problem. I never had a problem with the sound and quality of the Beatles. It is precisely the unique (and sometimes self imposed damage to the vocal apparatus - think Rod Stewart, Sting, Mel Tormé, Buffy St. Marie for example) sound and resulting pitches that make them musically interesting.

Can you imagine the result if Joshua Redman had his sax tracks all corrected to ET, or any xT other than his own unique, in the moment tuning?

B
BDB Offline
B
I have known Joshua Redman for a long time (I knew Dewey, too), and he has never spoken to me about temperament.

Semipro Tech
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by BDB
I have known Joshua Redman for a long time (I knew Dewey, too), and he has never spoken to me about temperament.

I'm jealous.

I don't know why he would talk about temperament. His style is his chosen temperament.

He clearly doesn't play in ET, and though he is not thinking about the specific UT he uses when he plays (it is not specific), he must be aware about how much he can pull a pitch for emotional effect on just about every note.

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I wonder if this is what RXD was talking about? I didn't hear any of the characteristics or pitch correction software but what I do hear is a lot of Mp3 distortion which is really awful. I have Sirius Satellite Radio in my car but I rarely use it because all music on every channel has that distortion in it and I can't get used to it. I even hear it on talk radio channels and can't stand it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r77L3oPOLVA

Compare it to this unadulterated live British TV broadcast from 1965:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWP6Qki8mWc

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Here is a great example of Billy Holiday singing. There is not a single note that maintains a steady pitch but it is what it is and it is great artistry. A clanging piano can also be heard in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_1LfT1MvzI

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
B
BDB Offline
B
If temperament were important to him, I would be the one to talk to.

A style is not a temperament.

The only people who talk to me about temperament are people who are trying to convince me that some horribly out of tune piano sounds good, usually trying to convince me that one of the two or three tones from a unison might have something to do with how the piano might have been tuned.

As far as I am concerned, all these discussions of temperament are ways of avoiding dealing with what really makes a piano tuning sound good: Good treble, good bass, and good voicing.

Semipro Tech
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by BDB
As far as I am concerned, all these discussions of temperament are ways of avoiding dealing with what really makes a piano tuning sound good: Good treble, good bass, and good voicing.

That stll leaves the possibility of a lousy mezzo, just where we hear the temperament. laugh

M
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by prout
Originally Posted by BDB

I'm jealous.

I don't know why he would talk about temperament. His style is his chosen temperament.

He clearly doesn't play in ET, and though he is not thinking about the specific UT he uses when he plays (it is not specific), he must be aware about how much he can pull a pitch for emotional effect on just about every note.

Only fixed pitch instruments have a temperament. Have I missed something? Why are we talking about singers and horn players. Come on you guys!

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Originally Posted by BDB

I'm jealous.

Only fixed pitch instruments have a temperament. Have I missed something? Why are we talking about singers and horn players. Come on you guys!

Horns, reeds, and such are, in modern instruments, built to ET specifications. That they can pull pitch is an advantage.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Here's a solution. smile

[Linked Image]

M
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Bill Bremmer RPT
Temperament is only a function of tuning a fixed pitch instrument. All other instruments and voices practice intonation either very well or not so well.

The recording industry now routinely uses so called "pitch correction software" to help the total package of the product they sell sound more appealing but whenever I hear it, it turn it off. It doesn't sound better to me. I wonder what Billy Holiday would sound like with it deployed? Some people did not really like her singing because so much of it was "in the cracks" as they say. But to me, that is where the artistry was. She had a unique sound and messing around with it could never improve it.

I see it a different way. Enhancing vocal tracks is just another way of adding a certain tonal colour to the music. Just like reverb or chorus.

Is it natural? No. Certainly not like reverb or chorus is. Interesting that we can accept electronics that mimic natural sounds while enhanced pitch correction does not sound anything like natural.

Hey, want to throw something at your computer? Watch this! Yamaha created them to show off its synthetic vocal software for composers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuRSIbfwjrE

All synthesized voices, but LIVE musicians! (I guess the producers figured we're not ready for that yet.)

Want to see something even more bizarre? This is a heck of a long way from some Japanese anime hologram.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqfa-u3DSdk.

The obvious question is, where are we going from here?

M
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Originally Posted by BDB

I'm jealous.

Horns, reeds, and such are, in modern instruments, built to ET specifications. That they can pull pitch is an advantage.

Not an advantage, a necessity. Trumpets have slides, wind musicians must learn to fight the instrument so we can play in tune. Temperament is not a consideration for any non-fixed pitch instruments. That's because they're called NON-FIXED PITCH INSTRUMENTS. Come on!

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission