2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, 10 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2455875 09/01/15 10:19 PM
F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Guys,

I play songs on Ireal Piano App but something baffles me.

It says Gm/Ab but Ab is not played at all. So what is the point? What is the role of Ab then ?

And i play a song on tone E but D Major chord is also played in this song. D Major has no place on tone E . So can i play D key on my melody line while playing this song?

Thanks

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Slash chords are used more as convenience for the player than anything. Chords themselves (and music as a whole) have patterns and guides but no hard rules.

You could play any note you want under a chord, you might have a chromatic run in the base over a normal chord progression that would end up with some really funky chords on paper but would sound fine in the music.

Likewise when playing melodies or solos every note is available to you. A part of learning about music theory is about understanding what how any note does given a key or chord context. There's no right or wrong, just different sounds made.

On a side note I've started using iReal too and what a fantastic little app it is. I recommend starting off with the 'blues - simple' exercise if you're finding the chords difficult. It's a straight 12 bar blues chart using dominant 7th chords. Try playing along with that in some different keys like C, F and G.

Last edited by AndrewJCW; 09/01/15 11:17 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Fatih
Guys,

I play songs on Ireal Piano App but something baffles me.

It says Gm/Ab but Ab is not played at all. So what is the point? What is the role of Ab then ?

And i play a song on tone E but D Major chord is also played in this song. D Major has no place on tone E . So can i play D key on my melody line while playing this song?

Thanks

Gm/Ab - play a Gm triad in the RH and play the Ab note in the LH. To most ears this chord sounds unpleasant on its own but if it's a passing chord (for example, going quickly to A or Eb/G) it might make more sense. The Ab here (the note under the slash) is what's known as the root of the chord which, as you've noticed here (unless it's a typo!) doesn't have an easy relationship with the notes of the chord of Gm. Quite often the root will be one of the chord notes and might even be the tonic itself in which case you don't need the slash.

Ignore 'rules' if you're playing pop. If you have a responsive ear and a strong sense of what sounds good or bad then let that be your guide. All you need to do, if you're trying to get to grips with existing written music, is to learn to read and play as immediately as possible the various chord symbols. My advice is not to try and take in the entire panoply - just work in a few select keys and get familiar with the kind of chords you use in your favourite music.

F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Andrew and Dire, thanks guys. I get your point very well. I still don't get why a music software would ignore a note that should be played but i think i should just ignore these kind of stuff and keep going. Thank you.

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
When you say the software doesn't play the Ab, it would be played by the bass, not the piano, in IRealPro. The note to the right in a slash chords indicates a bass note, and in IRealPro, the piano part is playing (correctly) rootless chords, so the note to the right of the slash would only be played by the bass.

Check out the bass and see if you can hear the "missing" note.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission