Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
125 registered members (Beowulf, BbAltered, AlphaBravoCharlie, Beemer, Angelos58, anotherscott, accordeur, Bill McKaig,RPT, 29 invisible), 1,688 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Piano Places in Tokyo, Japan ? #65413
11/20/06 01:31 AM
11/20/06 01:31 AM
Axtremus Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
Axtremus  Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member

It looks like I'll be visiting Tokyo, Japan near the end of the month.

Would appreciate recommendation on interesting piano places to visit (e.g., spectacular piano shops, piano museums, great recital halls, piano factories that allow tours, etc.).

If there is any PW member in the area who might like to meet, I'd also appreciate receiving e-mail from you.

Thanks.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Piano Places in Tokyo, Japan ? #65414
11/20/06 08:09 AM
11/20/06 08:09 AM
Philadelphia/South Jersey
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Rich Galassini  Offline
Platinum Subscriber

Ax,

Have fun! I hope you will have time to explore the city while you are there.

I have a client in Tokyo who I am sure can help. He works there and sometimes here in the US. His English is excellent.

I will email his address to you.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: Piano Places in Tokyo, Japan ? #65415
11/20/06 08:53 PM
11/20/06 08:53 PM
Axtremus Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
Axtremus  Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member

Thank you, Rich G.
Your e-mail received, and is much appreciated. smile

Re: Piano Places in Tokyo, Japan ? #65416
11/22/06 11:45 PM
11/22/06 11:45 PM
Tokyo, Japan
M
masaki Offline
masaki  Offline
M

Tokyo, Japan
Axtremus,
 It has been three days since I saw your post first, and I have been trying to nominate places, but only few have came up in my mind.

There are, as I know of, no piano factories, very few small pinao musiums, a few great halls for classical piano recitals, no specutacular piano shops in Tokyo.

A piano factory that allows tour and worth visiting is Kawai's Ryuyo factory near Hamamatsu, Shizuoka. Going there, visiting and coming back to Tokyo would take more than five hours. In Hamamatsu or near Hamamatsu, there is also a Museum of Musical Instruments and there are some factories of major piano or pano componets manufacturers.

Some musical colleges in Tokyo have museums in their premises open to everyone. Tokyo National University of Fine Arts and Musics which is a Janan's most prestige college in music has one, but I guess the museum is under renovation and not available now.
http://www.geidai.ac.jp/english/index.html
Less prestige colleges than TNUFAAN are Musashino College of Music(I am not sure if this is the official english name of this college) and Kunitachi College of Music have ones.
http://www.musashino-music.ac.jp/plant/musium/index.html
http://www.gs.kunitachi.ac.jp/e_index.html
Musashino's museum opens evry week days. Kunitachi's museum opens only on Wednesdays.

In the past most of the halls in Japan had been built for multi-purpose, but recently some halls have been built only for classical music purposes.
One of the recently built and has excellent acoustic characteristics is Toppan Hall.
http://www.toppanhall.com/en/index.html
There are other some excellent halls in Tokyo. You will be informed of them by Ric's clients in Tokyo.

You did not asked, but I guess you may be interested seeing pianos and piano rooms of individuals, strange and sometime bogus gadgets to protect pianos from the high humidities and to reduce sound radiations to avoid claims from the neighborhoods. If you are so, I would write more about this topic.

Re: Piano Places in Tokyo, Japan ? #65417
11/23/06 08:27 AM
11/23/06 08:27 AM
Axtremus Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
Axtremus  Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member

Thank you very much for the detailed recommendations, masaki.

... pianos and piano rooms of individuals, strange and sometime bogus gadgets to protect pianos from the high humidities and to reduce sound radiations to avoid claims from the neighborhoods.
I've never thought of that. This sounds very interesting, and may be rather unique to the Japanese culture/environment. I would appreciate pointers on that general direction.

Thank you again.

Re: Piano Places in Tokyo, Japan ? #65418
11/23/06 11:22 AM
11/23/06 11:22 AM
Texas
Hamiltonian Offline
Hamiltonian  Offline

Texas
Ax:
There is Yamaha Hall in the Ginza district. I recall the pianos are on the second floor. Nice, but not unique. There is the 5 or 6 story Kawai showroom on the west side in the Shibuya district within a short walk from the Harajuku stop. The grands, including a number of Shigeru Kawai's, I believe are on the 5th or 6th floor. Be sure to bring your camera for lots of photos of the "Harajuku girls" just south of the train stop. Good fun and some very ahhh....shall we say interesting, outlandish fashion. My favorite spot in Tokyo.

You should be able to get precise addresses for both spots from the hotel.

Have fun!

Hamiltonian

Shigeru Kawai SK6, Hammond R124
Re: Piano Places in Tokyo, Japan ? #65419
11/24/06 10:48 AM
11/24/06 10:48 AM
Axtremus Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
Axtremus  Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member

Thank you, Hamiltonian.

As it turns out, I will be spending a few days in the Ginza district. Yamaha's Ginza building address was successfully Googled with one hit! So stopping by Yamaha Hall should be easy.

I'll go Google up on "Harajuku" and "Shibuya" in the mean time...

Thanks. smile

Re: Piano Places in Tokyo, Japan ? #65420
11/24/06 08:27 PM
11/24/06 08:27 PM
Tokyo, Japan
M
masaki Offline
masaki  Offline
M

Tokyo, Japan
Axtremus,
 If you are not from Austria and can go around only downtown Tokyo, try Bosendorfer Japan. They are not in Ginza, but in a couple of miles west of Shinjuku. I am sorry that their web pate is available only in Japanese language.

http://www.bosendorfer-jp.com/

Both Kawai and Yamaha are producing soundproof boxes(or chambers). These are for Japanese people who live in apartments and need to play instruments including pianos. Product names are Kawai:Nasal and Yamaha:Avitecs. These products are displayed in their showrooms in Ginza and OmoteSando, which is near Harajuku.

http://www.kawai-os.co.jp/nasal/H02.html
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/ad/classicnews/index.html

Try playing some of the pianos in those boxes and enjoy a sense of superiority that you do not live in apartments in Japan. No matter how the instruments generate excellent sounds, they arrive our ears quite differently.

Re: Piano Places in Tokyo, Japan ? #65421
11/25/06 09:22 AM
11/25/06 09:22 AM
Albuquerque, NM
Cy Shuster, RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Cy Shuster, RPT  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Albuquerque, NM
I spent many hours in rooms like that at my tuning school! They were about six feet square, just enough room for an upright piano and two people.

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
www.shusterpiano.com
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Director, PTG Norfolk 2016 Technical Institute
http://convention.ptg.org
Re: Piano Places in Tokyo, Japan ? #65422
11/26/06 12:54 AM
11/26/06 12:54 AM
Tokyo, Japan
M
masaki Offline
masaki  Offline
M

Tokyo, Japan
Cy,
By the way, what opinions do you have on practicing piano in such a small box? We usually play pianos listening to sounds not arriving direct from the piano, but from sounds reflected by the farthes walls.
I have a 6' x 9' box and have a cheap old Kawai upright in it. Most annoying thing is very small mechaninical noises and sympathetic noises coming from loose screws or something.

Re: Piano Places in Tokyo, Japan ? #65423
11/26/06 08:30 AM
11/26/06 08:30 AM
Axtremus Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
Axtremus  Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member

Thank you, masaki.

Interesting! Those "practice boxes" reminded me of those "practice rooms" in university, except those I used in university were metal and glass, and came with a couple of moveable magnetic panel that supposedly let you change the "room acoustics" if you place the panels differently.

Re: Piano Places in Tokyo, Japan ? #65424
12/23/06 11:29 AM
12/23/06 11:29 AM
Axtremus Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
Axtremus  Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member

Just want to give an update on this...

So I went to Japan and came back.

I went to "Yamaha Hall" in the Ginza district. As far as piano goes, I did not fine the Hall that impressive -- it's a multi-purpose Hall, one floor as a concert hall, one floor for string instruments, one floor corporate offices, another for brass/woodwind, basement dedicated to book store selling sheet music and music books... leaving only one floor for acoustic pianos.

There, I finally got to play an S4 (there was an S6 there too, but I've played S6 before in the US). Pianos there are quite good, much better prepared than those in most of the Yamaha dealerships I've visited here in the US. Also got to try their "soundproof box" that masaki referred to above -- they put a used C3 in there for people to try out the box. It's like practicing in a college practise room.

The most impressive part of Yamaha Hall is actually the basement bookstore... lots of "rare" or "non-mainstream" classical sheet music!

I also went to the Kawai dealership near Harajuku station that Hamiltonian referred to above. Hamiltonian is quite right on the "outrageous" style of the Harajuku fashion! laugh

The Kawai building is more piano-centric, and the employees all seem qutie enthusiastic to direct visitors to go try our their grand pianos. Basement dedicated to teaching, consists of teaching studios and waiting areas for parents/chaperons.

Ground floor is mixed -- bookstore, acoustic uprights, and digital pianos.

1st floor is a recital hall -- not big, and it's set up coffee room style. A stage with a Shgieru EX, and lots of small round tables and chairs. I had a go on the Shigeru EX, it's very good, but the best has yet to come...

2nd flood is dedicated to acoustic grand pianos -- including the Boston brand. Featured in a raised platform in the center of that floor is a Shigeru SK-7. That SK-7 surpassed my expectation by a long stretch. The Shigeru EX, while did not disappoint, also did not "surpass" my expectation since I walked in with very high expectation for concert grands to begin with. The SK-7, despite being 18 inches shorter, actually "felt" and performed quite like a concert grand. It seems to relate much more closely to the SK-EX than to the SK-6. (Surprisingly, there's no RX-7 on display.)

There is a separate room dedicated to the Kawai EX concert grands. There were a couple of pianists preparing for a concerto performance with those non-SK EX's, so I did not get to play them. Besides that, the only other piano I did not get to try out is the CR-40A crystal/acrylic grand piano -- it's put on the ground floor as window display and is not meant for visitor to try out anyway.

I commend the employees in Yamaha Hall and Kawai store for being very curteous and accomodating. Please forgive my stereotyping here, but I find that practically all the Japanese employees I've dealt with in this trip to be very respectful to their customers/visitors, and they take their jobs very, very seriously. Those employees in the Yamaha Hall and the Kawai store have definitely displayed very admirable work ethics!

Re: Piano Places in Tokyo, Japan ? #65425
12/23/06 11:58 AM
12/23/06 11:58 AM
boston north
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member
lilylady  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

boston north
I have been hoping that you would post of your experiences.

Without going to websites to update my knowledge of the 'letters and numbers of the pianos', could you also include how we can relate to the specific groups?

Re: S series Yamaha?

Re: Shigeru EX series?

Re: non-SK EX's

Re: The SK-7, despite being 18 inches shorter, actually "felt" and performed quite like a concert grand. It seems to relate much more closely to the SK-EX than to the SK-6. (Surprisingly, there's no RX-7 on display.)

A little more info might help someone like me who have not had the experience with these names - trying to relate.

Thanks Ax. LL

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Re: Piano Places in Tokyo, Japan ? #65426
12/23/06 04:30 PM
12/23/06 04:30 PM
Axtremus Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
Axtremus  Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member

Lililady,

Yamaha S-series: S4 is 6'3" (191 cm); S6 is 7' (212 cm)

SK-6 is the 7' grand in the Shigeru line.
SK-7 is the 7'6" grand in the Shigeru line.
Shigeru EX is the 9' "concert grand" that is part of the Shigeru line.

"non-SK EX" is just my term to refer to Kawai's EX concert grand that is not part of the Shigeru line. This old post by KawaiDon gives more insight into the EX: *link*

Re: Piano Places in Tokyo, Japan ? #65427
12/23/06 08:51 PM
12/23/06 08:51 PM
MALAYSIA
ERWANDY Offline
ERWANDY  Offline

MALAYSIA
hi axtremus..still remember me..from malaysia..glad to hear your fascinating experience in piano throughout the whole world..wish i can follow u throughout ur journey..(but i cant since im too busy at work huhuhu :rolleyes: ) btw, i havent heard any of your experience since your visit to malaysia..execept story about one old yam which belongs to a local family here, have u visited a local piano factory in ipoh, perak?. btw where did u stay while u were here..KL? Im glad if u can share your wonderful experience...while u were in malaysia, philipines..etc.. and what is your future plan/next destination?...mery christmas to u..
smile smile smile smile

Re: Piano Places in Tokyo, Japan ? #65428
12/24/06 07:10 AM
12/24/06 07:10 AM
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Rich Galassini  Offline
Platinum Subscriber

Ax,

Did you only see Yamies and Kawais? Nothing else? Also, wondering if Yuji communicated with you.

Merry Christmas!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: Piano Places in Tokyo, Japan ? [Re: Axtremus] #2455598
08/31/15 11:37 PM
08/31/15 11:37 PM
C
C R Offline
C R  Offline
C

Resurrecting an old thread, since I did look it up as I am going soon.

The Imperial Hotel in Tokyo offers the use of its music room for free to guests for 2 hours, which has a Steinway B by the look of the photos. Link: http://www.imperialhotel.co.jp/e/tokyo/facility/music.html

Any new additions to the excellent recommendations in previous comments?

Re: Piano Places in Tokyo, Japan ? [Re: C R] #2455753
09/01/15 12:57 PM
09/01/15 12:57 PM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

First Town, First State
Nothing really new, however we were at the Yamaha store in Ginza several weeks ago. The pianos are now on the 7th floor I believe, and there is a Bosendorfer as well as other high-end Yamahas, all available for playing.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
Re: Piano Places in Tokyo, Japan ? [Re: Axtremus] #2455783
09/01/15 02:42 PM
09/01/15 02:42 PM
Seattle Area
M
Markarian Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Markarian  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Seattle Area
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Thread Necromancy

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Sub 37 | Behringer DeepMind 12 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 6 | Korg Prologue
Re: Piano Places in Tokyo, Japan ? [Re: C R] #2455817
09/01/15 04:53 PM
09/01/15 04:53 PM
California
P
phantomFive Offline
3000 Post Club Member
phantomFive  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P

California
Originally Posted by C R
Resurrecting an old thread, since I did look it up as I am going soon.

The Imperial Hotel in Tokyo offers the use of its music room for free to guests for 2 hours, which has a Steinway B by the look of the photos. Link: http://www.imperialhotel.co.jp/e/tokyo/facility/music.html

Any new additions to the excellent recommendations in previous comments?

It is nice to have a practice room, but for that price, I would much rather spend the night here or here, and sleep on the floor.

It may sound less luxurious to sleep on the floor, than to sleep in a suite, but I assure you, it is not. You will sleep better and feel richer sleeping on the floor on tatami mats.

Poetry is rhythm
Re: Piano Places in Tokyo, Japan ? [Re: phantomFive] #2455950
09/02/15 05:20 AM
09/02/15 05:20 AM
C
C R Offline
C R  Offline
C

Oh, we got a corporate rate, it's quite a bit lower than MSRP. I'm also partial to the history of the place, as an architecture and history fan.

Otherwise I agree, ryokans are great and usually my first choice on our frequent Japan trips. I particularly appreciate the extra floor space one gets from folding the futons. My favorite yet is the Watanabe Inn in Miyajima, which is particularly striking (if a bit crowded) around hanami. It's the only one we've returned to.

Is there a conservatoire or other kind of music school with student or faculty performances in Tokyo? For example, Singapore's Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music regularly does lunchtime concerts and evening masterclasses by visiting musicians, with free admission (Stephen Hough next week!). Anything similar? My googling has so far been unfortunate.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
One vs. Two-Hnaded Sight Reading
by BbAltered. 11/15/18 01:08 PM
Casio PX-160 or Yamaha P-125 for Beginner
by jediknight. 11/15/18 11:42 AM
Late 19th - early 20th century Pleyel pianos.
by Wckoek. 11/15/18 08:36 AM
John Lewis Christmas ad 2018
by Timpskie. 11/15/18 06:40 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,342
Posts2,761,353
Members91,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission