2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
J
J
Thanks for the reply, I don't expect to find the exact sound, but it's like there is an option I have missed, see I can sort of get the tone right but the video I posted has a 'Far away' feeling to it, for example on Synthogy Ivory there was a setting called 'Room Size' that achieved a similar effect as well as 'Wet/Dry' settings that got that sound.

I have yet to try out the suggestions as I am not home yet but I am grateful for the help. I will see what there is to tweak. If I find a good tone I will post the settings here for you.

R
R
Hi Jakob789521,

the pianist in the video gives detailed instructions, how he has set up his FP80.

The settings are:

PIANO DESIGNER:
damper resonance: 10
hammer noise: 1
hammer response: 4
duplex scale: 10
string resonance: 10
key off resonance: 10
cabinet resonance: 10
soundboard behavior: 10
damper noise: off

EQUALIZER:
Lowa Gain: + 6dB
Low Freq: 250HZ
Low Mid Gain: 0dB
Low Mid Freq: 500Hz
Low Mid Q: 2.0
High Mid Gain: -3dB
High Mid Freq: 1.25 kHz
High Mid Q: 2.0
High Gain: + 8dB
High Freq: 5.0 kHz

I am aware that the RD800 has a different sound engine and those settings might not be leading to the same result, but it is a good way to start with, once you try them you might wish to begin tweaking afterwards. At least you do not have to start from scratch.

From what I hear, there is lot's of reverb applied that would be something to look after as well.

Hope you find your favourite sound, the RD800 ia a nice instrument with great capabilities to try!

(Beware of scaling the settings, 10 on the FP80 might be a 127 on the RD800)

Last edited by Rolf Benz; 12/06/14 04:52 PM.
J
J
This is great thanks very much smile I will definitely use these as a starting point. I am very grateful.

I hope when I get to know this instrument a bit better, I can start contributing to this thread.

J
J
Hi
Was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to set up an expression pedal as a wah pedal on the rd 800? I know it is possible on Nord Stage and would like to know if there is a similar feature on the Roland as I can't find anything about it in the manual or in the menu.
Thanks
Jon

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Jon,

I replied to your comment on the Roland Canada blog that you left yesterday.

Jay

Industry Consultant
J
J
Hey Jay
Just checked your reply
Thanks very much for getting back to me
Jon

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You're welcome sir!

Jay

Industry Consultant
S
S
Howdy,

I've asked a bunch of questions about the RD-800 and MP7 in a thread I started about the organ sounds in these to stage pianos, but I have a specific RD-800 question I figured I would ask here.

The 4 ASSIGN knobs, based on what I can understand from the manual, can only be assigned to control parameters that already have dedicated knobs (e.g. Mod rate, trem rate, etc.). I am not sure I understand how useful the assign knobs then are, but probably I am missing something. Can anyone give me some insight into what you use them for?

Thanks!

S
S
I found this demo in which I believe Scott Tibbs is using one of the assign knobs to control the sound of one layer. Look for it at the 7:00 minute mark. It sounds like he sweeps a filter which I assume is one of the filter modulation effects. Why not just use the dedicated mod fx knobs? Is it perhaps possible to have the assign knobs control FX parameters of one layer with the dedicated knobs controlling the FX parameters of another layer?

http://www.fullcompass.com/gearcastVideo.php?id=1517

O
O
Hi

New RD-800 owner here still trying to come to terms with the user interface. I have been directed to this thread by the ever-helpful Marko in Boston.

My question:
How do I set up the RD-800 to act as a lower manual for my Hammond XK3c? I've kinda figured out how to save a live set as my "lower manual" patch I can't seem to work out how to NOT get the organ sound to come through on other patches (live set or otherwise).

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Ocram

The first thing to do is make sure your MIDI channels match between the part on your RD and the lower manual channel on your Hammond.

Pramberger PS-157, Roland RD800, Nord Stage 2EX 76HP
G
G
Hi!

When I play Concert Grand I always use Individual Note Voicing to change character of C5 to -2 to make it sound not so tinkling. Else its ringing sound stands out so clearly that makes playing impossible without tweak.

I play notes in C, Am, F chords so that offending note is at the bottom, in the middle and on top and again C starting from C4:

https://soundcloud.com/gostan-2/roland-rd-800-concert-grand-original
https://soundcloud.com/gostan-2/roland-rd-800-concert-grand-edited

Not sure, if difference can be heard in all setups but it's clearly heard in all my headphones.

Interestingly, I hear similar tinkling notes in all patches based on Concert Grand, but it shifts to different notes: Bright Concert it's D5, Mellow Concert it's B4flat, Rock Concert Grd it's C#5. Strange that it's necessary to tweak each patch this way.

Last edited by Gostan; 05/02/15 05:00 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
So why is it that so many people dont like the Roland piano sounds?

Personally, i have allways loved them, and they have never been better then in this instrument...

There is 3 things i really like about this stage piano..
- touch is so incdredibly sensitive
- the controlls and the UI stand out, works inuitive for me as a long time Roland user
- the sound, not just the piano sounds but the whole package

On top of that the instrument looks great..

Originally Posted by Bachus

Sound preference is highly personal, and so most any sound will have supporters and detractors. Myself, I *LOVE* the Roland piano sound from my RD800.

- the controlls and the UI stand out, works inuitive for me as a long time Roland user

I can't argue with any of this. My only complaint is its weight. Boy it's a heck of a lot easier to carry my Casio anywhere I want to play.

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-5s, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer
My motto: Play and Let Play!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Mk
Originally Posted by petes1

Sound preference is highly personal, and so most any sound will have supporters and detractors. Myself, I *LOVE* the Roland piano sound from my RD800.

I can't argue with any of this. My only complaint is its weight. Boy it's a heck of a lot easier to carry my Casio anywhere I want to play.

I guess i am the exception to this rule, as i still work out every other day, i dont mind some lifting from time to time..

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I guess i am the exception to this rule, as i still work out every other day, i dont mind some lifting from time to time..

Man, is it you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8EAQzNHFeA

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qaroll

Man, is it you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8EAQzNHFeA

Nah, i am not a fan of Yamaha piano sounds, never was...

C
C

I'm with you (but not in the exercising bit unfortunately). I play in a rock and roll/rhythm and blues band and the Nords were too light for that sort of thing.

Originally Posted by Cessquill
I'm with you (but not in the exercising bit unfortunately). I play in a rock and roll/rhythm and blues band and the Nords were too light for that sort of thing.

Well the RD800 should take pretty much any pounding you give it and then some. The keyboard feel is great, very responsive, and it seems built like a tank. I just love-love-love this keyboard!

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-5s, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer
My motto: Play and Let Play!
C
C
Originally Posted by petes1
Well the RD800 should take pretty much any pounding you give it and then some. The keyboard feel is great, very responsive, and it seems built like a tank. I just love-love-love this keyboard!

I love this keyboard too. I got through 3 A-90s (with many repairs to all in between).

I noticed last week that the Ab above middle C wasn't right (needed pushing harder & felt hollow) and I'm hoping it's just "something" under the key since it seems OK now, but the A feels a bit off. As to what that might be, I don't know. I take good care of my keys, but play them a little harder than some. They're always cased, but they do a lot of travelling. Haven't had a chance to get it looked at yet, since it's during a time when we've got 3 or 4 gigs a week plus rehearsals. Fortunately I don't notice during gigs, too much going on.

Great keyboard - just wish it would transpose to the previous setting with a quick click rather than taking the setting of the note that is being played (use a long press to set the transpose, short to toggle it). My laziness of transposing mid-song has led to some interesting noises!

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission