2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 47 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 46 47
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by debussychopin
Originally Posted by Johan B
7 & 8 August

Just playing Haydn Sonatas........ 3hearts

Best regards,
Johan B

I have never known someone who knows this much Haydn. Which is great btw.

I know one classmate she has worked on ONE Haydn sonata ONE movement , for two semesters now and she plays it delightfully great, but even she said she is frustrated at her own consistent play of it.

I am playing Revolutionary now. Haha. Not really revolutionary but more like a "let's wait out the winter before we attack" sort of sloooow revolutionary.

DebussyChopin,

Have a try....Haydn is so nice...... 3hearts
Haydn Sonatas

Kind regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 08/09/15 02:36 AM.

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
9 August

Today played 🎹 only about five minutes.......the rest of the day....visit our best friends.......without a piano.......😳😳

Best regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 08/09/15 05:48 PM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

L
L
Technique work. All major/minor scales, legato and staccato, plus the chromatic. Five finger work in all keys and the chromatic, staccato. Arpeggios in every key. Liszt exercises for finger independence (the double note exercises are pretty tough). More focus on my left hand than my right.

As for actual music, I'm sightreading Bach's Little Preludes, since my sight reading of the Inventions is painfully slow, and I need work on ornaments/grace notes in the left hand. I'm also sightreading several easier early Preludes by Scriabin, which all have in common a flowing left hand quaver motion under what are mostly right hand chords.

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
10 & 11 August

Played my favourites Sonaten of Haydn and Suites of Böhm......still discovering the beauty of some special parts.......

Regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

D
D
How many Haydn sonatas do you know Johan?

debussychopin.
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Been bad here. Haven't played in about two or three weeks. Will try to get back on track tomorrow.

Always working to improve "Chopsticks". I'll never give up on it.
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Isabelle1949
Been bad here. Haven't played in about two or three weeks. Will try to get back on track tomorrow.

Isabelle,

Life is sweet, life is bitter.........tomorrow everything goes better thumb wink

Kind regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Debussychopin,

Play about twelve to fiftheen of these Sonaten.... Studying the others.......Haydn Hob. XVI......
And as usual always playing by sightreading.....I hardly never memorize music

12 August
Today I will play among others Bach, Böhm, Händel in this beautiful church...
St.Willibrorduschurch
This is the organ.....
The organ

Kind regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 08/12/15 05:01 AM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A number of years ago I put a ton of work into Chopin's etude 10.3. I got it to the point I could play it all the way through but never...never... got it to where I could play some of those ascending and descending broken chords well. It always sounded like a train wreck. I've always loved the opening page of the piece, it just has to be one of the most lovely passages of all time, and returned to it last week (I think I can play it pretty well). But, the rest of it is still a train wreck. It's always so interesting to see how I can return to a piece and, being a terrible reader, will have to allow my subconscious take over to play it. It's almost like I have to sit back and watch this other person play just so "I" can figure out what I'm reading. I have gotten through the piece, again, mostly using my muscle memory or whatever it is, and now may try to see what I can do with the train wreck.

D
D

Hi Debussychopin,

Play about twelve to fiftheen of these Sonaten.... Studying the others.......Haydn Hob. XVI......

12 August
St.Willibrorduschurch
This is the organ.....
The organ

Kind regards,
Johan B

I should do this too. For some reason, I always never looked into sight reading through pieces and playing them /practicing them that way. I always aim to sight read first only the one that I am going to embark on as being memorized.....which leaves me at the end with not too many pieces known by me. Will try your method this year.

debussychopin.
D
D
Originally Posted by Peyton
A number of years ago I put a ton of work into Chopin's etude 10.3. I got it to the point I could play it all the way through but never...never... got it to where I could play some of those ascending and descending broken chords well. It always sounded like a train wreck. I've always loved the opening page of the piece, it just has to be one of the most lovely passages of all time, and returned to it last week (I think I can play it pretty well). But, the rest of it is still a train wreck. It's always so interesting to see how I can return to a piece and, being a terrible reader, will have to allow my subconscious take over to play it. It's almost like I have to sit back and watch this other person play just so "I" can figure out what I'm reading. I have gotten through the piece, again, mostly using my muscle memory or whatever it is, and now may try to see what I can do with the train wreck.

I hear you. I love this etude. It is the first one I learned and reason being someone or some people said it was the easiest Chopin etude to learn... what!? not even close.

first of all, the outer melodic parts of the etude are hard in the fact you have to voice it correctly . you cant just play the notes. it doesnt work. I remember for a long time I couldnt figure out why my playing of that part never sounded like in the recordings i heard. ( i was thinking, is the one I learned a simplified version>?) i found later through my friend (piano teacher a s well) told me I was not voicing anything. (this was years ago).

second, that middle section one needs ton of technique. it is harder than the whole of other etudes I feel. I still cannot get it right mine sound like a train wreck too. and that is after properly learning how to go about it.

so my point is, kudos to you for learning this etude. and being honest about it. Tons of people here and other forums say how easy it is. very dishonest. ok let me hear you then. you know what i mean?

Last edited by debussychopin; 08/12/15 01:58 PM.

debussychopin.
L
L
The middle section of Op. 10 no. 3 is terrifying! Double notes in contrary motion--it takes so much mental energy, practice, and confidence. Another thing to consider is that Chopin originally wrote the tempo as Vivace. Even though he changed it to Lento ma non troppo, it's important to keep in mind the 'ma non troppo' part, to keep it from being the languid piece that many people make it. I don't know about anyone else here, but it is one of those pieces where I am dissatisfied with most performances. It's really surprising that so few people make it cantabile in a really flowing, expressive bel canto with morbidezza kind of way. Maybe it is just that I have such a specific mental sonic image of what the piece should sound like, but very few performances really strike me as being as beautiful as possible.
A somewhat lazy day today. My partner is visiting family, so I've got the house to myself. I thought that this would make me want to play more and with less inhibition, but I'm not motivated today. After focusing so much on technique lately, I'm just going to work at a couple of Szymanowski's more lyrical mazurkas. I prefer Op. 62, but I put those in that rarified class of pieces, like some of late Scriabin, where I am capable of getting the notes under my fingers, but I'm not yet capable of doing them justice. They are something like taboo to me...only when I know that I'm capable of incredible nuance will I approach them.

Is it just me, or do any of you ever feel afraid to approach certain pieces, because they are too beautiful, as if hearing yourself play them in any way subpar to some inner standard is like an act of desecration?

D
D
Originally Posted by lautreamont
The middle section of Op. 10 no. 3 is terrifying! Double notes in contrary motion--it takes so much mental energy, practice, and confidence. Another thing to consider is that Chopin originally wrote the tempo as Vivace. Even though he changed it to Lento ma non troppo, it's important to keep in mind the 'ma non troppo' part, to keep it from being the languid piece that many people make it. I don't know about anyone else here, but it is one of those pieces where I am dissatisfied with most performances. It's really surprising that so few people make it cantabile in a really flowing, expressive bel canto with morbidezza kind of way. Maybe it is just that I have such a specific mental sonic image of what the piece should sound like, but very few performances really strike me as being as beautiful as possible.

I hear you. and I agree. not a lot of good interpretations of this piece .

debussychopin.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the feedback guys. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one that thinks the middle parts are over the top...

The last time I worked on this I recorded it and put it on boxnet. I think I can play the first part better now but the later parts are ...well...still train wrecks. At 1.39 the wheels loosen... at 2.02 they begin to come off... at 2.19 sparks are flying and at 2.39 the wheels are gone and the train is sliding sideways down the track...

https://app.box.com/files/0/f/2408203/1/f_203239382

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Debussychopin,

12 August
St.Willibrorduschurch
This is the organ.....
The organ

Kind regards,
Johan B

I should do this too. For some reason, I always never looked into sight reading through pieces and playing them /practicing them that way. I always aim to sight read first only the one that I am going to embark on as being memorized.....which leaves me at the end with not too many pieces known by me. Will try your method this year.

DebussyChopin,

Perhaps I have to try memorising.....😀😀

13 August

After six week holidays I was at my work again.....mmmmm...arghh😳😤😳😤......went home at 13.00h......playing piano is better.....

Played today...among others:
Mozart, Fantasie D minor and Variations Dieu d'amour
Schumann, four parts of Waldszenen
Böhm, Suites
Haydn, Sonatas Hob XVI
Telemann, Pastorella from Ouverture VI
Ouverturen, Telemann

Regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 08/13/15 06:41 PM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
14 & 15 August

Studying Haydn Sonatas.....so nice 3hearts

Haydn Sonatas Hob XVI

Regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

F
F
Purcell's "Air" from Easy Piano Classics. I've only been playing for about 6 weeks, and I learned it in 1 week--does that seem like good progress? (I went through many pieces in Alfred's Book 1--my teacher suggested the EPC book since I only want to play classical pieces.) Next up is a Sarabande by Corelli.

Last edited by Fugue14; 08/16/15 02:21 PM.

Yama B3
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Fugue14
Purcell's "Air" from Easy Piano Classics. I've only been playing for about 6 weeks, and I learned it in 1 week--does that seem like good progress? (I went through many pieces in Alfred's Book 1--my teacher suggested the EPC book since I only want to play classical pieces.) Next up is a Sarabande by Corelli.

Fugue14,
You make good progress.......enjoy and celebrate it..... thumb

16 August
Today less time to play.....only half an hour this morning just easy playing.....
Best songs ever
The rest of the day shopping furniture in Amsterdam and had a nice dinner with my adult daughter, about 170km from here......

Regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
17 August

After a day of working hard with a lot of problems confused cry back home.......

Playing two and a half hour in the evening.....Haydn, Sonatas Hob XVI & Böhm, Suites..... 3hearts

Regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

D
D
I am still playing/practicing etudes 10 4 and 10 5 .. .haha. Started working on (brought it back) pachelbel Canon in d. Stopped practicing that many months ago. Have to bring it back as I registered for the baroque recital next year and also started class which requires one baroque piece.

Last edited by debussychopin; 08/17/15 06:04 PM.

debussychopin.
Page 11 of 47 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 46 47

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission