2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
66 members (Beemer, 36251, Belma, barbaram, anotherscott, aesop, Beowulf, Ash Piano, BachToTheFuture, 16 invisible), 564 guests, and 544 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Which great pianists of the past were notoriously nervous?
#2447650 08/04/15 05:10 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
I'm reading a good bio of Dinu Lipatti who was apparently incredibly nervous before performing although once he started playing was totally relaxed. I think Horowitz in his later years was sometimes very nervous but I don't know about this when he was younger.

I'm sure there are many others that were very nervous. PLEASE keep your posts about pianists who are no longer living!

Re: Which great pianists of the past were notoriously nervous?
pianoloverus #2447653 08/04/15 05:17 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Godowsky, Horowitz (after developing IBS?), off the top of my head.

Everbody's "excited."

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
pianoloverus #2447654 08/04/15 05:21 PM
OP Online Content
I thought Godowsky was more like "inhibited" as opposed to nervous. I just read a bio of Godowsky and don't remember reading about nervousness but maybe my memory is not so good?

pianoloverus #2447656 08/04/15 05:49 PM
B
B
Sir Clifford Curzon was the most well-known British pianist notorious for his stage fright, which became worse as he got older (giving lie to the common assumption among some - especially those who've never suffered from it - that stage fright improves with each subsequent 'exposure', i.e. performance).

I heard a few of his later live performances, and they were often nervy affairs, even train-wrecks at times. The differences between his studio recordings and his live performances, especially in Schumann and Liszt, were quite marked, almost like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde - the one superbly controlled and nuanced to the nth degree, the other a high-wire act with tension at breaking point, liable to snap at any time.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
pianoloverus #2447689 08/04/15 07:51 PM
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Perhaps Oscar Levant? -- But not just for performance, full time.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
pianoloverus #2447706 08/04/15 08:54 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Glenn Gould

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

pianoloverus #2447741 08/04/15 11:52 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
Henselt.

Semipro Tech
pianoloverus #2447744 08/05/15 12:10 AM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Previous poster right about Horowitz. My teacher was a friend of his and can confirm the situation...if it makes you nervous maybe you should consider another line of business...

pianoloverus #2447754 08/05/15 01:42 AM

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
pianoloverus #2447837 08/05/15 09:58 AM
E
E
I heard that Sofronitsky would get so nervous before a performance someone had to physically push him onto the stage and then he wouldn't dare to turn around and leave the stage once he was on it laugh

Evaldas #2447855 08/05/15 10:29 AM
D
D
Originally Posted by Evaldas
I heard that Sofronitsky would get so nervous before a performance someone had to physically push him onto the stage and then he wouldn't dare to turn around and leave the stage once he was on it laugh

I thought the 'push out to the stage' story belongs to Horiwitz. Either more than one pianist has this happened or it is an urban legend.

Carey #2447859 08/05/15 10:37 AM
D
D

In the documentary 'Bloody Daughter' by Stephanie Argerich, there was a clip of Argerich before a solo recital in Japan. For some reason Martha was vety irritable backstage before the concert. She started admonishing the poor Japanese stage door lady.

She said, "I did not feel like doing this today. I did not want to play like this." But she went out anyway and played wonderfully.

pianoloverus #2447907 08/05/15 12:54 PM
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Gilels apparently was incredibly nervous. I heard a story about him vomiting before performing, but I'm not sure how true that is.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

pianoloverus #2447942 08/05/15 02:17 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My teacher used to refer performing in public as "battle conditions." A certain amount of nervousness can help one to attain maximum alertness, and can even help elevate a performance to a higher level. Listen to Rubinstein live compared to his studio recordings as an example. The negative side can be reflected in Kapell's comment about the first 10 minutes of each performance being riddled with nerve induced mistakes - along with getting used to the piano and the acoustic. Horowitz suffered from nerves to the extent that his hands can be seen shaking in some performances - usually near the beginning. Obviously if nervousness becomes debilitating it's not merely going to be reflected in the performance, but can actually lead to more serious issues. For those in the latter situation who've exhausted options, my advice is not to undertake a career that involves performance. There are plenty of ways to be involved with music without having to step on stage.

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
Hank Drake #2447987 08/05/15 04:24 PM
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Hank Drake
My teacher used to refer performing in public as "battle conditions." A certain amount of nervousness can help one to attain maximum alertness, and can even help elevate a performance to a higher level. Listen to Rubinstein live compared to his studio recordings as an example. The negative side can be reflected in Kapell's comment about the first 10 minutes of each performance being riddled with nerve induced mistakes - along with getting used to the piano and the acoustic. Horowitz suffered from nerves to the extent that his hands can be seen shaking in some performances - usually near the beginning. Obviously if nervousness becomes debilitating it's not merely going to be reflected in the performance, but can actually lead to more serious issues. For those in the latter situation who've exhausted options, my advice is not to undertake a career that involves performance. There are plenty of ways to be involved with music without having to step on stage.

I heard that Horowitz's programs sometimes accounted for his nerves. For example, when he took up playing the Liszt sonata again in the 1970s, he would always start off a recital with a shorter piece, then play the sonata after, for fear of missing that opening octave leap.

Working on:
Debussy - Images Book II

Kuanpiano #2448031 08/05/15 07:47 PM
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
[]
I heard that Horowitz's programs sometimes accounted for his nerves. For example, when he took up playing the Liszt sonata again in the 1970s, he would always start off a recital with a shorter piece, then play the sonata after, for fear of missing that opening octave leap.

Well, isn't that just doing it the intelligent way? Get warmed up and let the audience settle in before the hard part?

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Kuanpiano #2448119 08/06/15 06:52 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Horowitz generally started his programs with more lyrical works, such as Scarlatti, Mozart, or Haydn Sonatas, and built to a climax before intermission. Then some lighter fare, followed by a barn-burner for the closing piece. The first encore would invariably be a lyrical work, such as Schumann's Traumerai or Debussy's Serenade to the Doll.

http://www.vladimirhorowitz.hostzi.com/1_4_Concertography.html

Last edited by Hank Drake; 08/06/15 07:07 AM.

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
Hank Drake #2448269 08/06/15 02:05 PM
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K

Horowitz generally started his programs with more lyrical works, such as Scarlatti, Mozart, or Haydn Sonatas, and built to a climax before intermission. Then some lighter fare, followed by a barn-burner for the closing piece. The first encore would invariably be a lyrical work, such as Schumann's Traumerai or Debussy's Serenade to the Doll.

http://www.vladimirhorowitz.hostzi.com/1_4_Concertography.html

Here's the quote that I remembered:

November 21, 1976: Powell Hall, St. Louis, Missouri

Clementi: Sonata Op.33, No.3
Chopin: Nocturne, Op.72, No.1
Chopin: Waltz, Op.34, No.2
Chopin: Introduction and Rondo, Op.16

Liszt: Sonata in B minor
Encores:
Schumann: Träumerei, Op.15 No.7
Moszkowski: Etincelles, Op.36 No.6

- This was the only time Horowitz structured a program that included the Liszt Sonata in such a fashion. The unedited recording likely explains what happened: Horowitz opens the Sonata with a plethora of wrong notes. Then, his playing improves. Perhaps Horowitz felt that in the case of the Liszt Sonata, he required a warm-up beforehand. From this point on, he always programmed another piece in front of it.

Working on:
Debussy - Images Book II

pianoloverus #2448284 08/06/15 03:02 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
when will come the day when we can just sit at the piano, put on our VR gear, completely shut off the audience and play the piano on a relaxing beach with nothing but the wind and seagulls?

BTW, this is supposed to be funny:

[video:youtube]uYulF6Lhq2Q[/video]

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
Kuanpiano #2448297 08/06/15 03:50 PM
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

Here's the quote that I remembered:

November 21, 1976: Powell Hall, St. Louis, Missouri

Clementi: Sonata Op.33, No.3
Chopin: Nocturne, Op.72, No.1
Chopin: Waltz, Op.34, No.2
Chopin: Introduction and Rondo, Op.16

Liszt: Sonata in B minor
Encores:
Schumann: Träumerei, Op.15 No.7
Moszkowski: Etincelles, Op.36 No.6

- This was the only time Horowitz structured a program that included the Liszt Sonata in such a fashion. The unedited recording likely explains what happened: Horowitz opens the Sonata with a plethora of wrong notes. Then, his playing improves. Perhaps Horowitz felt that in the case of the Liszt Sonata, he required a warm-up beforehand. From this point on, he always programmed another piece in front of it.

I was there and he didn't look nervous. I do remember a lot of mistakes. At the time, I attributed it to the acoustics of Powell Hall. He was quoted in the local paper as saying they compared poorly to his bathroom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Do you normally ask dealer to tune piano?
by tony3304 - 01/18/21 07:25 AM
iPad pro (2020) MIDI Output not consistent
by Almar - 01/18/21 05:33 AM
used Kawai RX-1 or new Kawai GL-30?
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 01/18/21 05:23 AM
Roland F701 vs FP-90X (?)
by Mulberg - 01/18/21 02:17 AM
Garritan CFX, Sustain Release Samples ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/17/21 11:18 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,352
Posts3,048,304
Members100,102
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission