Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
137 registered members (Alex Hutor, 90125, 7uturu, AZNpiano, anotherscott, Amedeus, bambooninja, 33 invisible), 1,498 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 29 1 2 3 4 28 29
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2449474
08/11/15 06:02 AM
08/11/15 06:02 AM
Italy
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
sinophilia  Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Italy
If any of you (preferably in Europe) wants to sell their books from previous grades - aural, technique or repertoire - I'd be glad to buy some.

Diana & Wally - Yamaha W110BW
To create a beautiful sound, one must imagine it at first and then learn to produce fluid physical motions that breathe life into music. (Shirley Kirsten)
http://soundcloud.com/sinophilia - http://youtube.com/sinophilia
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2449587
08/11/15 02:56 PM
08/11/15 02:56 PM
USA
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
8 Octaves  Offline

USA
They introduce modes in the first lesson and their explanation gives another "angle" to look at modes compared to RCM. That's really nice and helps. Then of course, they seem to drop the whole thing just as the topic gets interesting. That's what I find problematic with these survey courses. They throw something at you to wet your appetite then and move on to something else. It's not deep enough as preparation for RCM exams, so as long as you are not using it to prepare for the exams, you're fine.

I have come to the conclusion that every etudes for each level should be learned on my own when I compared exam syllabi between 2001, 2008, and now the latest 2015. I noticed the pattern that as an exam transition to a new syllabus, almost every piece of music from the previous repertoire book is allowed in the new syllabus even though many are no longer in the new repertoire book. However, that's not the case for etudes. There is no substitution for etudes. Every etude on the current syllabus comes from the current etude book and if it's not in the current etude book it is not allowed.

The way I interpret this is that RCM is much more strict about the etudes that represents a specific level, so to be solid for a specific level and have all the skills, one should learn all the etudes just as one should learn all the scales and chords require for a specific level even though the examiner may not test you on every scale for your level.

So as far as I'm concerned, you should not pick and half of the keys to learn scales and chords for technical any more than choosing to learn some of the etudes. I have to say that I only realize this recently, and I didn't study every single etude in level 5, level 4, etc. I think that may contribute to why each new level feels much harder for me. I think not doing every etude is like saying, hmm I don't like F# minor scales and chords much, so I'll skip that one.

Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2450104
08/13/15 06:14 AM
08/13/15 06:14 AM
Brighton Colorado
W
WiseBuff Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
WiseBuff  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
W

Brighton Colorado
Interesting observation, 8Octaves. I had purchased level 6 etude book but I notice that most of them are NOT on the 2015 list. Do you know if there is a new 2015 edition that equates with the acceptable list?

The Coursera course is interesting for me as an academic to see how they are laying out their online course. So far (except for modes) it is content that I know. I only spend a few minutes a day on it and it reminds me to think about theory and refresh my circle of fifths. I'm spending more time at the piano working on my chords and scales. The blocked 7th chords require more coordination so I have to work really really slow on them at first to teach my hand to move correctly.

I've been working on the Bach for what seems like forever. Although my teacher assures me that Bach is always difficult, I'm still very slow at making it come together. The Kuhlau is coming along but I still have hesitations so I'm back to slow and correct. My time at the EPP really proved my teacher correct (AGAIN!)...I have way too many hesitations.

Looking forward to receiving my four star and theory books next week.

NOW...warm up for a piano lesson and then, off to a four day dog show.

[Linked Image]

Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2450304
08/13/15 08:01 PM
08/13/15 08:01 PM
USA
8 Octaves Offline

8 Octaves  Offline

USA
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
I had purchased level 6 etude book but I notice that most of them are NOT on the 2015 list. Do you know if there is a new 2015 edition that equates with the acceptable list?

If there is even one etude piece in your book not on the 2015 list, you got the wrong book. You need the new 2015 Etude and Technical books for exams starting in September. You could order them from the publisher directly or many online sources.

http://www.primamusic.com/productdetail.asp?SKU=FH2555290018

http://www.primamusic.com/productdetail.asp?SKU=FH2555300007

http://www.primamusic.com/productdetail.asp?SKU=FH2555310008

I think you already mentioned you don't need the repertoire book, but for completeness, here it is. http://www.primamusic.com/productdetail.asp?SKU=FH2555290008

Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2450318
08/13/15 08:48 PM
08/13/15 08:48 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
4000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
sino- if you don't have any offers for books, check out the usual sources for used books including Book Depository and whatever else google suggests based on your location. If you really aren't interested in taking the current exam, it won't matter if you haven't got the latest and greatest edition and you could pick up some old ones at a considerable savings.

I've been trying to change my signature quote for weeks.

Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2452629
08/21/15 06:53 AM
08/21/15 06:53 AM
Brighton Colorado
W
WiseBuff Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
WiseBuff  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
W

Brighton Colorado
I'm investing a LOT of time on scales and chords to train my hands to move more fluidly. Blocked 7th chords are really challenging to me. I think I've just avoided music with too much of that work. Any suggestions for speeding up my learning process?

[Linked Image]

Wise as in learner
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2452663
08/21/15 09:39 AM
08/21/15 09:39 AM
P
pianofan1017 Offline
pianofan1017  Offline
P

I love to have this exam group as I am taking ABRSM grade 5 this coming November. The pieces are not hard. Scales I have all memorized, but need to improve on speed. The only thing in aural skill that troubles me is listening to the 2 time, 3time, or 4 time. Sight reading is the toughest for me. I am spending more time on this part. But unfortunately, this does not get improved overnight.

In Progress:
1.Debussy Arabasque1
2. Czerny 740 no 3
3. Mozart Sonata K330 1st Movement
4. Bach Prelude and Fugue in C Major
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: pianofan1017] #2452675
08/21/15 10:23 AM
08/21/15 10:23 AM
Costa del Sol
SwissMS Offline

2000 Post Club Member
SwissMS  Offline

2000 Post Club Member

Costa del Sol
It sounds like we are all spending significant time with scales and other technique requirements. My teacher had me take my scales back to a speed that I could do with good evenness and shape, and then start increasing them by a tick of the metronome each week. It worked well to fix some problems. I am almost back to the required grade 6 ABRSM speed. I am still weak in the Bb minor contra, and the chromatic contra starting on A# LH& C# RH, but the rest is starting to shape up.

Pianofan1017, I have trouble distinguishing 2 time from 4 time as well. I get it right about 75% of the time, but under pressure? I don't know. I find the sight reading quite difficult as well. My teacher believes that this part of the test is actually too difficult for the level. The real test is to just keep going in rhythm, I think.

My A piece, Beethoven Minuet and Trio from Sonata in Bb, is my biggest worry right now. I am a long way from required tempo. I spent a lot of time on the trio, and it still has areas that are not secure. My marching orders for this week are ultra slow, heavy, and accurate. The left hand runs are finger twisting. The other two pieces are well in hand. I am sure my husband is hearing the Beethoven in his sleep by now. grin

Last edited by SwissMS; 08/21/15 10:24 AM.
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2452679
08/21/15 10:38 AM
08/21/15 10:38 AM
P
pianofan1017 Offline
pianofan1017  Offline
P

Hi SwissMS:

My teacher actually ask me to just play a little slower in the exam to be on the safe side.

In Progress:
1.Debussy Arabasque1
2. Czerny 740 no 3
3. Mozart Sonata K330 1st Movement
4. Bach Prelude and Fugue in C Major
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2452684
08/21/15 11:17 AM
08/21/15 11:17 AM
USA
8 Octaves Offline

8 Octaves  Offline

USA
I'm investing a LOT of time on scales and chords to train my hands to move more fluidly. Blocked 7th chords are really challenging to me. I think I've just avoided music with too much of that work. Any suggestions for speeding up my learning process?

My advise is to resist wanting speed. Your goal is to play evenly and accurately those 7ths at the speed you can deliver on evenness and accuracy. Mistakes are ok in a repertoire but not in technical skills like scales and chords. Focus on one major key and its minor key and just do it everyday and allow yourself to gradually come up to speed. It almost happens without notice. Once you reach the tempo as marked in the book naturally, you can move on to the next set of keys. For 7th chords, you could focus just on dominant 7th for one key without worrying about diminished 7th until you could tare down the keyboard with the dominant 7th. Believe me, it actually does happen given enough time, patience, and discipline. Stay relaxed.

My teacher's comment to me was "you cannot cram technical skills." Well, unless you have an exam coming up and your skill isn't there, then what else could you do? Ideally, you should give yourself an entire year to learn the whole series for the level, but that means you have to be very disciplined and organized. I had to do a bit of cramming myself for my last exam, so I made some mistakes on the exam.

Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2452922
08/22/15 09:40 AM
08/22/15 09:40 AM
Brighton Colorado
W
WiseBuff Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
WiseBuff  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
W

Brighton Colorado
The staying relaxed is good advice 8Octaves. I'm conscious of letting my body relax because I have years of tension built into my playing. It's like I want to hang on to it with my mind (which I trust) rather than let my body just feel it and take charge. The slow playing and moving up a tick at a time seems to work for me too. I read that Mozart had to play it correctly 10 times before moving to a new phrase or scale. THAT's discipline for sure.

SwissMS...the Beethoven is there. You'll let it happen. How exciting to have it go so well at your teacher's place. I always figure if I can play it relaxed for my teacher it's easy every place else.

[Linked Image]

Wise as in learner
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2453202
08/23/15 10:23 AM
08/23/15 10:23 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Tubbie0075 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tubbie0075  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Melbourne, Australia
Everyone's talking about ABRSM or RCM here. Is anyone doing or have done AMEB?

Be your ♮ self
YouTube channel

Studying:
  • Chopin: Ballade No. 4
  • Rachmaninov: Prelude No. 5 (Gm)
  • Ravel: Pavane for Dead Princess
  • Bach-Rachmaninov: Gavotte
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: Tubbie0075] #2453399
08/24/15 04:08 AM
08/24/15 04:08 AM
SA / VIC, Australia
D
DorianGrey Offline
DorianGrey  Offline
D

SA / VIC, Australia
Originally Posted by Tubbie0075
Everyone's talking about ABRSM or RCM here. Is anyone doing or have done AMEB?

Agreed. I wouldn't mind taking one or two of my remaining ones. I'd be interested to see how the syllabus' differ.

Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2453421
08/24/15 07:08 AM
08/24/15 07:08 AM
Brighton Colorado
W
WiseBuff Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
WiseBuff  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
W

Brighton Colorado
What is the AMEB and how is it different? I chose RCM because exams were possible in my area.

[Linked Image]

Wise as in learner
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: DorianGrey] #2453497
08/24/15 12:44 PM
08/24/15 12:44 PM
Warsaw, Poland
Qazsedcft Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Qazsedcft  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Warsaw, Poland
AMEB: Australian Music Examinations Board.

Originally Posted by DorianGrey
I'd be interested to see how the syllabus' differ.

Me too, just out of curiosity, but their syllabus is not free like the others. Such a closed approach in 2015, how outdated. It's just a freaking syllabus for Pete's sake! Way to arouse people's interest in your exams by asking for money just to see the requirements.

[Linked Image]
Working on:
Haydn Sonata Hob.XVI:37
Field Nocturne no. 10
Debussy Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: Qazsedcft] #2453565
08/24/15 05:37 PM
08/24/15 05:37 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Tubbie0075 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tubbie0075  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
AMEB: Australian Music Examinations Board.

Originally Posted by DorianGrey
I'd be interested to see how the syllabus' differ.

Me too, just out of curiosity, but their syllabus is not free like the others. Such a closed approach in 2015, how outdated. It's just a freaking syllabus for Pete's sake! Way to arouse people's interest in your exams by asking for money just to see the requirements.

I must say I am very disappointed with AMEB charging for the syllabus. They already have it in PDF now (finally caught up to the 21st century) and they still charge for it. It's just ridiculous!

I have taken 2 ABRSM exams long before, up to grade 5 in the early 90s. I'm now preparing grade 8 for AMEB after recommencing piano lessons several years ago. In terms of levels, they are very similar. Preliminary, Grade 1 to 8, Certificate (new), Associate, Licentiate and Fellowship.

The exam structure is also very similar. Candidates are to present pieces, technical works, aural tests and sight reading. In more details for graded levels:

PIECES:
Present 4 pieces chosen from 4 rather long list of pieces, grouped more or less into periods (baroque, classical, romantic/impressionist, contemporary). 2 extra pieces of similar grade level or higher may be asked by the examiner to be presented whole or part (exempted for grade 8 and above). For general knowledge, examiner will ask a number of questions relating to any of the 4 pieces and/or its composer/period.

TECHNICAL WORKS:
Compared to ABRSM, technical works generally has more elements in less keys required. For instance, candidates are asked to present scales in octave, minor 3rd and major 6th, and with dynamics (crescendo going up and decrescendo going down, p or f).

OTHERS:
Sight reading and aural tests I presume are more or less then same.

As for the results, they are not marked with scores like ABRSM. The examiner provides a general comments on each of the exam elements and award overall from D- (failed miserably) to A+ (high distinction). Candidates get their report within days following the exam. The certificate takes a few weeks.

To obtain the certificate, candidates also have to pass a certain level of theory exam, similar to ABRSM.

Here's a sample report of my AMEB Grade 8 violin exam in 2008:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Tubbie0075; 08/24/15 05:52 PM.

Be your ♮ self
YouTube channel

Studying:
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2454001
08/26/15 05:48 AM
08/26/15 05:48 AM
Brighton Colorado
W
WiseBuff Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
WiseBuff  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
W

Brighton Colorado
Looks like you did it well Tubbie. Perhaps the biggest achievement is preparing and performing such an intense program of music and technical skills. It would be so easy to slack off on the technical skills.

[Linked Image]

Wise as in learner
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2454013
08/26/15 06:59 AM
08/26/15 06:59 AM
Costa del Sol
SwissMS Offline

2000 Post Club Member
SwissMS  Offline

2000 Post Club Member

Costa del Sol
Great job, Tubbie!

The ABRSM marking slips are very similar, except they do give a numerical value to each item. I think I like the AMEB approach better in some ways. It is emotional hard to get a 119 or 129, one point off of a merit or distinction on ABRSM. The letter grades would be easier to take. On the other hand, having a score for each area is useful. It is not like the scoring is a precise science, though. I think on the pieces things can be highly subjective.

Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: SwissMS] #2454180
08/26/15 07:41 PM
08/26/15 07:41 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Tubbie0075 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tubbie0075  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by SwissMS
Great job, Tubbie!

The ABRSM marking slips are very similar, except they do give a numerical value to each item. I think I like the AMEB approach better in some ways. It is emotional hard to get a 119 or 129, one point off of a merit or distinction on ABRSM. The letter grades would be easier to take. On the other hand, having a score for each area is useful. It is not like the scoring is a precise science, though. I think on the pieces things can be highly subjective.

I have had 2 ABRSM piano exams long time ago, grades 3 and 5. I actually prefer the points so I get to compare my performance of each piece presented during the exam. I suppose I was lucky to not get a mark like 99, 119 or 129 (I ended up with 138 for both exams). I did an AMEB theory exam and got awarded 1 mark away from distinction. So I know how it feels! Argh!

Be your ♮ self
YouTube channel

Studying:
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2454182
08/26/15 07:51 PM
08/26/15 07:51 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Tubbie0075 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tubbie0075  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Melbourne, Australia
Looks like you did it well Tubbie. Perhaps the biggest achievement is preparing and performing such an intense program of music and technical skills. It would be so easy to slack off on the technical skills.

I was frustrated to be so close to an 'A' but not get there. I wished I performed my Etude better than I did during the exam, and I know I could. I think that would have push my grade to an 'A' from 'B+'. It was the last piece I performed and I suppose lost concentration. Overall, I'm still please to have passed grade 8 violin, which was a big achievement for me. I took 2 years to prepare for it after grade 7.

In 2 months I will be sitting for my first piano exam under AMEB at grade 8, or my first piano exam after ABRSM exam in over 20 years! I'm so nervous!

Be your ♮ self
YouTube channel

Studying:
Page 2 of 29 1 2 3 4 28 29

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Music on i_heart_radio
by Handyman. 01/16/19 04:54 PM
How do you upload mp3 files?
by Vilhelm Moqvist. 01/16/19 04:17 PM
DGX-660 And Recording Vocal Track
by ndmuscutt. 01/16/19 03:56 PM
Yamaha CFX and Liszt Sonata in B minor
by Rich Galassini. 01/16/19 02:18 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,610
Posts2,782,498
Members92,126
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission