Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
141 registered members (akc42, Ankee, Abdol, anotherscott, Beowulf, AWilley, 36251, Animisha, 29 invisible), 1,243 guests, and 526 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 46 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 45 46
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: Gemma121] #2652477 06/11/17 04:12 AM
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Gemma121
I might go middle ground and do grade 2. My sight reading is terrible I always hated that part.

If you have an ipad I would recommend SightRead4Piano app as it has AMEB, (and others), graded exercises. My sight reading is also really bad but I would not let that hold you back. You are probably not able (or interested) in sitting an AMEB exam in the June/July 2017 cycle, with the next being Oct/Nov. If you gave yourself a year to get up to speed you might be surprised what you could achieve with your previous experience, which I am sure just needs to be awoken smile

The difference between grades 2 & 3 technical requirements doesn't look huge. Both have about the same amount of scales with grade three introducing some staccato scales and arpeggios (broken chord arpeggios required in grade 2).

If your kids are into exams then you probably already have it, if not the AMEB book of Aural Tests is essential. A bit pricey but it has the tests and CD's for preliminary to grade 8.

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: Gemma121] #2652494 06/11/17 06:51 AM
sara elizabeth Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gemma121
That's true I was considering just jumping up to grade 3 but am worried that would be too big a jump but I guess I could just take longer I was a bit of a lazy piano student when I was having lessons. I might go middle ground and do grade 2. My sight reading is terrible I always hated that part.

Welcome to the forums! I got to level 3 as a kid. I restarted in grade 1 and only ended up spending a month or two on it. Level 2 I spent about 3 months. When I hit level 3 my progress slowed. So for me at least, it was pretty quick getting back to where I left off.

Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2652501 06/11/17 07:56 AM
G
Gemma121 Offline
G
Thanks all I just grabbed the syllabus and had a look at the scale requirements.. I wrote them all down and found a page with all the scales online and started playing them. I was able to quickly get them to both hands to octaves so I think I'll definitely start on grade 3 and will give myself a year to be ready. I think you are right earlofmar and I just need to reawaken the old knowledge. I'm actually quite surprised at how much I remember given a couple of weeks ago I had to look up the rhyme for reading the bass clef.

Simon_b I had the experience of completely forgetting a scale in an exam as a kid I tried so hard to remember it and attempted it about 3 tines before having to admit that I couldn't remember it. It was a super easy scale too my teacher was like how did you forget that (obviously she didn't say that but I'm sure that's what she was thinking). I still passed though but would have done much better if I hadn't forgotten it.

Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2652514 06/11/17 08:49 AM
sara elizabeth Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My grade 2 exam as a kid I forgot an entire piece. My teacher always referred to them as "inventions" and the examiner kept asking me if I had another "piece". I kept saying I didn't. After leaving the exam I remembered I did, in fact, have another piece. Oops. Well I still passed with a decent mark. The inventions weren't worth many marks thank goodness.

Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2652515 06/11/17 08:51 AM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It's easy for me to get lazy with scales, ear training and sight reading. Not counting the Etudes, this made up 32% of the RCM exam I took. I think they are relatively easy points to be earned. Although I practiced this during the months leading up to the exam, it wasn't until the last 3 weeks that I really buckled down and said I'm going to do this everyday.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: sara elizabeth] #2652639 06/11/17 04:37 PM
cefinow Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sara elizabeth
My grade 2 exam as a kid I forgot an entire piece. My teacher always referred to them as "inventions" and the examiner kept asking me if I had another "piece". I kept saying I didn't. After leaving the exam I remembered I did, in fact, have another piece. Oops. Well I still passed with a decent mark. The inventions weren't worth many marks thank goodness.

That's an adorable story!-- I love the classic kid logic-- It's not a *piece*, it's an *invention*! cool
And the obviously bewildered examiner... lol

Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2652788 06/12/17 11:05 AM
SwissMS Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I sat my grade 7 ABRSM today. It was quite an adventure. There was no warm up piano in the waiting area, which meant starting out cold. I did scales first, to get the hands going. He asked for a D major scale first, and I promptly played a d major arpeggios. He said, "that was a lovely arpeggio, but I asked for the scale". I tried to make a joke of it, but he was not having it. After that he asked for one of each type of scale - major, minor harmonic, minor melodic; a third apart major and minor; a scale in thirds; contra scales major & minor; plus two of each type of arpeggios in root and first inversion and dominant and diminished 7th. He asked for well over half of the scales played staccato, including contra chromatic starting on F#. Boy am I glad I spent a lot of time practicing staccato scales! I had to repeat a couple of them, as well as a couple arpeggios, so I do not know how I did.

I made silly mistakes in each piece, but nothing showstopping. The worst was the boogy, where I had two places that I had to ad lib to get back on track. I carried on after each mistakes, which is something they grade on. The Chopin when the best (C# minor nocturne). It went beautifully, but I fluffed the big run!

He asked for the aural next, which kind of threw me off.

Unfortunately I do not think I did well in the Aural. I sang the lower part of a two part phrase, and he said that was not perfect, let's try again"". That surprised me, because I thought I did it well the first time. I am petty sure I missed the first chord in the cadence, and I am not sure that I was correct on my reasoning on the answers on the piece analysis.

Then after the aural he said "that concludes the exam, thank you" and I started to leave. As I was walking out the door he remembered that he had not asked for sight reading and called me back! The sight reading was a gift. It was really easy, and I think I did well. Always before after the exam, the examiner has chatted with me a bit. Not this examiner. It was like he was rushing me out the door!

So, now the long wait. It is usually two weeks before we get results. I am fairly sure I passed, but the examiner sure did not give anything away.

Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2652839 06/12/17 02:10 PM
Simon_b Offline
Well done SwissMS, I'm sure you will have passed.

That said, it does sound a lot more difficult than when I took and failed my grade 7.
But that was 25 years ago and my memory is not what it was!

Funnily enough the examiner I had for my grade 7 was a quiet chap, who didn't say very much. Yet on the analysis of my performance he wrote some very encouraging words telling me not to give up etc...

Next up for you the big one!!

Cheers

Simon
Yamaha CLP535
Vox Continental 73

Play what you enjoy listening to, listen to what you enjoy playing!

Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2652863 06/12/17 03:19 PM
cefinow Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations SwissMS on making the best of what sounds like a difficult exam! Your last FOYD entry mentioned the upcoming exam, so I was wondering what it would be like. Thanks for the detailed report. Now, in another few weeks...

Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2652886 06/12/17 04:55 PM
G
Gemma121 Offline
G
Great job SwissMS sounds like you did a good job with a difficult exam. Enjoy the break and the wait for results. Hopefully he gives helpful feedback even though he was rushing you out.

Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2652894 06/12/17 05:46 PM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member
I'm proud of you for doing this level of exam😊Looks daunting !!!!

Last edited by dogperson; 06/12/17 05:46 PM.
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2652925 06/12/17 08:14 PM
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
congratulations SwissMS, I hoped you passed because I know how hard you would have worked to get there.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2652930 06/12/17 08:51 PM
sara elizabeth Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Great job SwissMS. It sounds like you had a pretty cold fish for an examiner. frown boo. It's too bad they can't all be full of personality.

Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2652943 06/12/17 09:35 PM
P
pianofan1017 Offline
P
Congratulations SwissMS! I know that is not an easy exam. Now you can relax.

In Progress:
1.Debussy Arabasque1
2. Czerny 740 no 3
3. Mozart Sonata K330 1st Movement
4. Bach Prelude and Fugue in C Major
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2652945 06/12/17 09:51 PM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congrats SwissMS. That level of an exam seems tough. I think you've accomplished something that maybe 1% of the world has done. Actually, I don't know what the percentage is, it can't be high. Be proud of yourself!

Last edited by bSharp(C)yclist; 06/12/17 09:52 PM. Reason: Grammar Nazi

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2653000 06/13/17 03:28 AM
B
barbaram Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Congratulations SwissMS, that sounds tough! Fingers crossed now for the results

Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2653077 06/13/17 09:52 AM
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
SwissMs - that sounds brutal!!!! Good for you for not going into a spin over it!

I look forward to hearing your results!

[Linked Image]

Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: casinitaly] #2653086 06/13/17 10:29 AM
SwissMS Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I had a "post exam" lesson with my teacher today and we talked about the next steps. She feels, and I agree, that I need to do more grade 7 material, some pischna exercises, and a lot of work on the scales a third and a sixth apart before we move on. She wants to see how long it takes me to learn three more grade 7 pieces. When I can learn them in three weeks or less, she will be ready to start me on grade 8. So, assuming I passed grade 7, I am not going to sit grade eight for at least a year, and probably a year and 1/2. This exam was humbling. They expect a pretty high standard at the upper grades!

Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2653234 06/13/17 06:11 PM
W
WiseBuff Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Good job SwissMS! The experience is unique each time for sure. I bet you did well!

And my results are in for my RCM Level 6!! I PASSED!!!! Nothing superb or laudatory but I passed and that feels good. I missed points on many things including not memorizing, flubbed the playback, and sight reading was not flawless. However, my pieces were well received. All of the technical exercises are new to me in the last four years so I feel I'm working to catch up. Perhaps I should have started at level 1. LOL!
Don't know if I'll sit another exam but I will work the exercises and learn pieces in each genre. I think having a exam savvy teacher would help and perhaps I'll look to find that.

[Linked Image]

Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
Re: Piano Exam Group [Re: WiseBuff] #2653243 06/13/17 06:40 PM
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
Congratulations WiseBuff, your hard work has also paid off. Second the idea of finding an exam savvy teacher. My own teacher (now semi-retired) has spent a lifetime taking students through all levels up to grade 8, and even just recently attended a masterclass given by AMEB on what they look for in students. You just can't beat that sort of experience and dedication.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 17 of 46 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 45 46

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Practice tips for beginners - video
by Morodiene - 12/05/19 11:29 AM
Beginner Repertoire
by JacoV - 12/05/19 08:14 AM
Kissin's opus 1
by Sibylle - 12/05/19 07:42 AM
Digital modelling
by keff - 12/05/19 06:04 AM
Oddball Music Theory Question
by HarmonySmurf - 12/05/19 05:46 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,521
Posts2,898,916
Members95,164
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission