2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2447094 08/03/15 07:50 AM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Some pics attached. I have a lot of thoughts that I will share later when I have some time.

Note the price on the Bosendorfer 185 (and then adjust for 125 yen per U.S. dollar).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Fancy looking store. More pictures?

Gary
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
So, $80,000 for a Bosendorfer 185. Larry Fine puts that at $102,000 SMP. Maybe in Japan they don't negotiate?

Poetry is rhythm
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I do wonder what the "+" after the price means.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
O
Orz Offline
O
I think that's tax

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
税 is tax

Poetry is rhythm
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by phantomFive
So, $80,000 for a Bosendorfer 185. Larry Fine puts that at $102,000 SMP. Maybe in Japan they don't negotiate?

That price was not the only eye-opener. I looked at the final price for my C2X, and after all adjustments the "buy it in Japan and get it over to the U.S. anyway you can" price was under $19,000. The price difference were even larger with the bigger CX models. Maybe this is not surprising; When you add overseas shipping costs and reasonable dealer mark-ups it is going to cost more out of Japan.

Some other observations: There seems to be some discussion in other threads about the relative value between the C2X and C3X. I played both side-by-side and other than a bit more low register in the C3X, the overall sound was very similar. Please keep in mind that these pianos were in a very large room so perhaps the differences would have been more discernible in a smaller room?

The CF-series pianos were very nice, certainly way more expensive than the CX-series. But once again the differences were not easily perceptible.

As for the Bosie, well, I think in ANY sized room anywhere in the world those differences will be easily discernible. At this point I have had the pleasure of playing on a half-dozen pianos in the $70K-$100K+ range. In all cases (even the Yamaha CF series) the Bosendorfer seems to be in a class of it's own.

I should have brought Rich G. over here with me as my official piano tester. smirk

Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Fancy looking store. More pictures?

I have a few more. I'll try to upload them later today. The wi-fi over here really sucks. frown

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by BrianDX

That price was not the only eye-opener. I looked at the final price for my C2X, and after all adjustments the "buy it in Japan and get it over to the U.S. anyway you can" price was under $19,000. The price difference were even larger with the bigger CX models. Maybe this is not surprising; When you add overseas shipping costs and reasonable dealer mark-ups it is going to cost more out of Japan.

Some other observations: There seems to be some discussion in other threads about the relative value between the C2X and C3X. I played both side-by-side and other than a bit more low register in the C3X, the overall sound was very similar. Please keep in mind that these pianos were in a very large room so perhaps the differences would have been more discernible in a smaller room?

The CF-series pianos were very nice, certainly way more expensive than the CX-series. But once again the differences were not easily perceptible.

As for the Bosie, well, I think in ANY sized room anywhere in the world those differences will be easily discernible. At this point I have had the pleasure of playing on a half-dozen pianos in the $70K-$100K+ range. In all cases (even the Yamaha CF series) the Bosendorfer seems to be in a class of it's own.

I should have brought Rich G. over here with me as my official piano tester. smirk

This is very interesting Brian. I agree, the Bosie's I've tried are in a class of their own.

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
More pics. Not sure what model the piano in the third picture was. That was taken on the first floor. All of the acoustic pianos are on the fifth floor.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Brian, thanks for sharing and looking forward to hearing more! Looks like a beautiful showroom.

I was asked not to share what I was quoted, but the prices I was offered on the new Bosendorfers that I checked out were much lower than what I'd expected from the Piano Buyer numbers. My guess is that it's related to the high dollar vs Euro right now? Based on my recent shopping experience, a Bosendorfer is less out of reach than folks on this forum seem to think! smile

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
P
P
I must say that Yamaha stores in Japan are wonderful! I remember I've visited over ten of them over the past two decades. The one in Osaka is outstanding. I went there last month and the selection room is absolutely a paradise for piano lovers. The prices are nice too.

Apart from pianos, they got some little piano things like notepads, picture frames, tote bags, files and many more. The designs are special.

If you're going to visit Japan, don't forget to consider a Yamaha factory tour in Hamamatsu. Some of their guides can speak English. I visited their old factory in 2007 and then their new factory in 2012 (or 2013, can't remember exactly). The new factory is even more interesting. It's fantastic! It's not far away from Osaka or Nagoya.

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by twocats
Brian, thanks for sharing and looking forward to hearing more! Looks like a beautiful showroom.

I was asked not to share what I was quoted, but the prices I was offered on the new Bosendorfers that I checked out were much lower than what I'd expected from the Piano Buyer numbers. My guess is that it's related to the high dollar vs Euro right now? Based on my recent shopping experience, a Bosendorfer is less out of reach than folks on this forum seem to think! smile

Oh boy, do NOT mention that! shocked I just might go out and do something stupid...

Z
Z
thanks for sharing!
i would love to spend a night (or nights) in the store if they allow!

Sauter Domino

Diary of my music journey:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3h5Q3KNupQSDISBrbLAg1w

Working on: Schubert Impromptus, Mozart K576
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
You are welcome! Of course it is a store that contains a single brand of acoustic piano, yet given the different levels of performance (plus the Bosie!) I think a lot of folks on this forum should give it a look whenever in the greater Tokyo area.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Yep, same experience here and even without any negotiation the price was EXTREMELY lower than the SMP. I think a 225 or a 200 are two excellent home instruments for any level of playing. :-)

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

Oh boy, do NOT mention that! shocked I just might go out and do something stupid...

Haha! They're still expensive pianos, just not as much as the SMP would suggest.

Throw some dollars at your C2X in tech work if you feel any urge to upgrade wink

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
That reminds me of visiting a store in Tokyo called (if I remember right) "Yamaha Piano World" in 1987, in the Shinjuku area. They had fabulous looking models with patterns inside the lids and other fancy decorations. Some were over a million yen. They were celebrating their 100th anniversary with some special models.

What do snowflakes and Chickerings have in common? There are no two exactly alike!
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Haha! They're still expensive pianos, just not as much as the SMP would suggest.

Throw some dollars at your C2X in tech work if you feel any urge to upgrade wink

Seriously we are quite thrilled with our piano, but it is interesting to note that if you walked into that store and had room for a 185 cm piano (and money to spend) you would have a clear choice.

The Bosie 185 is roughly double the price of the C3X. IMHO the performance of the 185 is nowhere near double (whatever that really means) that of the C3X, which is a fantastic piano for the money.

But if you had the coin for it, and wanted the best piano performance from all those on that large sales floor, I can easily understand why someone would make that choice.

I've had the wonderful opportunity to play two different Bosendorfers in the past 2 months. Even someone like myself with limited technical and aural piano skills can recognize what sets this brand apart from others.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Seriously we are quite thrilled with our piano, but it is interesting to note that if you walked into that store and had room for a 185 cm piano (and money to spend) you would have a clear choice.

The Bosendorfers definitely have a sensitive touch! I know the store you went to didn't have Schimmels, but I was rather impressed by the new ones and would have picked a K195 over the more expensive 185CS. (That's when I got sticker shock over how much a nice piano costs!)

But so glad I flew to California and got Bo instead! Last night I was playing the Schubert "piano test piece" (Op 90, No 3) and it felt so natural and effortless to play, just like that 225 in Seattle, and it sings. (Okay, I'll shut up now, still in honeymoon phase now that Bo has been beautifully voiced!) smile

Yay for having a piano that you love!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission