2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,163 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Try some of the fxp files by Don Smith and rjpianist (Rachel Jimenez).

If these don't come any closer to your desires/expectations consider offering the Bluethner model one instrument to ME for a fair price laugh

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by R_B
Try some of the fxp files by Don Smith and rjpianist (Rachel Jimenez).

Totally Agree.

Just keep trying the FXP files from the FXP CORNER on the Pianoteq site.

If none of those work for you it is very unlikely that you are going to "discover" your sound just by tinkering with parameters in the software.

You may just be in the "hard to please" phase of using Pianoteq.

That will eventually pass and you will settle in to enjoying various sounds and just make some music.

Good Luck

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
T
T
Thanks a lot for the helpful tips for a beginner like me laugh I did found out the problem originates from the velocity settings, I used a setting designated for the casio privia and it sounds better on my PX 850. Still, the mellowish sound I am looking for is still not quite there, but its a good start, will tinker more in the weekend and see how it goes. Love the flexibility of it.

Casio Privia PX 850
Pianoteq 5 Standard with Blüthner Model One
Kontakt 5 with Imperfect Samples ® - Fazioli Ebony Concert Grand Piano
iMac (Late 2009)
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by thatdude
Thanks a lot for the helpful tips for a beginner like me laugh I did found out the problem originates from the velocity settings, I used a setting designated for the casio privia and it sounds better on my PX 850. Still, the mellowish sound I am looking for is still not quite there, but its a good start, will tinker more in the weekend and see how it goes. Love the flexibility of it.

Perception of mellowness has as much to do with the speakers or headphone you are using, no matter what tweaking you do in pteq or fxp files you. If the speakers/headphones are of the very forward/analytical type sound the worse it gets with painoteq I find personally. For pteq, hence I use the warm sounding headphones that are laid back in the mids to treble, like the sennheisers, to me, it makes a substantial difference to the perception of how the sound comes across, YMMV. smile

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 07/30/15 04:28 PM.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
T
T
I see, thanks! However, I am unable to bear prolonged use of headphones. Currently, I am using a pair of very old hifi speakers that I gotten from my parents hooked up to an amplifier before connecting to a behringer uca 222 audio card. It might not be the best setup for music purposes, but I downloaded a fxp named Bosendorfer_imperial from the fxp corner, and does sounds good now.

Do you have any fxp for recommendation by the way?

Regards

Casio Privia PX 850
iMac (Late 2009)
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by thatdude

Do you have any fxp for recommendation by the way?

Regards

Thatdude,

I suppose it is all down to taste, I like that Bosendorfer too you mention, actually more so than the one provided by pianoteq.

Out of the ones I tried that I like the most, In fact it is my favourite by some margin right now is the one titled Fazioli_308 coupled with some laid back dark sounding open back cans, like the senns 598 I use with pianoteq mostly, most of other reference phones are too clinical and bright for painoteq for my liking bringing out its artificial nature more to my ears, but I love those bright cans for other things, but not pianoteq. For example, for me AKG 701 + pianoteq don't mix well, too cold, quite aggressive treble and too clinical for me, as great as those phones can be if an actual analytical sound is what you are after. I want something that sounds smooth and on the warmer side, nice/pleasing sound, that is what works for me with pianoteq.

The senns I use are not that analytical/ articulate sounding like many of the modern reference phones, they have a more distant sounding smooth laid back treble range, which IMHO makes them ideal for pianoteq for me or any piano practice, because there is no getting ear fatigue either, I can turn up those puppies for hours on end and still not get ear fatigue.

Anyway, Fazioli 308 it has clarity to the tone and nice full body to me with my setup, not overly bright and thin like many of the pianoteq instruments can sound to me with the D4 and K2.

Note for the Fazioli fxp you need the bluthner instrument addon.

Personally, there isn't really D4 based fxp I have really fallen in love with thus far, not that I don't like them, but the bluthner derivatives are my favs.

With out of of the box settings with pianoteq too, I prefer the bluthner over the K2/D4 BUT, to each their own as they say, YMMV. I find it has a mellower sound and it may well those aliquot strings that give it a bit more umph overall too that make me like it more smile

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
P
pmh Offline
P
I would like to add my vote for the Fazioli 308. I have two presets, the 308 straight and Fazioli 308 dry. The original 308 has a 'wet/dry' reverb value of -15.8 db whereas I've altered the dry preset to -25db for less reverb and a more intimate sound. Both sound great. Im waiting delivery of a new Yamaha 709 and can't wait to pipe Pianoteq's sounds through that bad boy.

Kemble Compact Acoustic Piano, Yamaha CVP 709 Polished White, Kawai MP11se, Pianoteq Standard, Galaxy Vintage D, Garritan CFX.
T
T
I have tested the Fazioli 308 and it is indeed remarkable. However, there is something still irks me, the higher octaves sounds tiny and flat, as with the black keys, they do not have the deep booming sound I am looking for, I reckon its more to a Pianoteq thing as all of the instruments loaded sounds like this. But all in all, I am well satisfied with Pianoteq, it feels very organic and responsive.

And I agreed with the D4 sounds, I can't stand any Steinway sampling and as expected I can't stand the one in Pianoteq either. I do not have the luck to hear a Steinway in real life, but from the sampling softwares that I tested, its too overly bright for my liking

Regards,

Last edited by thatdude; 08/05/15 10:08 PM.

Casio Privia PX 850
iMac (Late 2009)
I was super excited to get an email today from Pianoteq, but it's just an offer for 30% off the Pro version. Boo! smile

Roland F130-R
Z
Z
Musician's Friend has every version and it is running 15% off. It does not work on the website. But you might get the discount by talking to them over the phone or chatting.

Originally Posted by TrevorM
I was super excited to get an email today from Pianoteq, but it's just an offer for 30% off the Pro version. Boo! smile

L
L
In thoman.de the retail version costs 194, without VAT. That is a great price, if you didnt have to pay for shipping outside of the EU.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission