2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
34 registered members (Charles Cohen, AZNpiano, dima5222, Boboulus, BachToTheFuture, chopinetto, DionG, djvu10, evolution42, 6 invisible), 298 guests, and 410 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Pianoteq 5 soley for improving practice? #2443669 07/22/15 11:51 AM
S
Sketches Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether buying pianoteq would be useful to me for the distinct purpose of having my practice closer resemble that of on an acoustic.

Background, I have a number of amazing virtual pianos already as although I am a beginner pianist, I have had a recording studio for many years. The list currently includes, Vintage D, Piano in Blue, all the NI pianos and a few oddities from Spitfire Audion.

With the exception of adding Ivory American D to my collection I feel I am pretty set as far as VIs for production purposes.

Pianoteq would not be very useful for me in this regard as having scoured the online demos and downloaded the trial version I have decided it is not yet up to scratch for use in a production (as a solo instrument at least) however, many people sing the praises of the playability of this instrument. That actually seems logical given that it is modelled and therefore, for example, complex overtone interactions or the impacts of touch and pedalling can be produced only limited by the algorithm and processing grunt as opposed to the sample set being manipulated.

Ultimately I will have my acoustic piano by the end of the year but is there anything for me to gain by practicing with Pianoteq in the mean time in respect to my interpretation abilities or the transference of skills to acoustics in your opinion?

Obviously I can try the demo by myself and feel the difference but it is hard to judge whether or not this would have a positive impact on my abilities if used as my practice instrument so i bow to your superior experience and piano skills :-)

Oh and my controller is currently an MP10.

Thanks,

Mark.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods, and more!
Re: Pianoteq 5 soley for improving practice? [Re: Sketches] #2443677 07/22/15 12:10 PM
C
Charles Cohen Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
C
. . . Obviously I can try the demo by myself and feel the difference but it is hard to judge whether or not this would have a positive impact on my abilities if used as my practice instrument so i bow to your superior experience and piano skills :-)

IMHO:

You might re-think the question -- not "will Pianoteq be better for my playing?", but:

. . . "Will I enjoy playing Pianoteq more than my sample-players?"

Do the "obvious" thing -- install the demo and try it out. Your own ears and fingers will answer the question.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Pianoteq 5 soley for improving practice? [Re: Sketches] #2443679 07/22/15 12:22 PM
S
Sketches Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Yeah, I have the demo and it does feel nice. I guess I am posing the question as I imagine any potential benefits (if any) of practice with a high quality modelled instrument vs a sampled instrument will only manifest over time and thus are hard to judge with the limitations of the demo.

I do realise this is a very speculative question and a very subjective one at that though, so... well maybe I'll just bite the bullet and see what falls out the back of it.

Re: Pianoteq 5 soley for improving practice? [Re: Sketches] #2443769 07/22/15 06:37 PM
MacMacMac Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If one of your goals is to improve your control of dynamics, I'd go with the Vintage D above all others. If you can control Vintage D, you're good.

Re: Pianoteq 5 soley for improving practice? [Re: Sketches] #2443771 07/22/15 06:44 PM
D
Doritos Flavoured Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Sketches

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether buying pianoteq would be useful to me for the distinct purpose of having my practice closer resemble that of on an acoustic.

Background, I have a number of amazing virtual pianos already as although I am a beginner pianist, I have had a recording studio for many years. The list currently includes, Vintage D, Piano in Blue, all the NI pianos and a few oddities from Spitfire Audion.

sure, why not? I'm sure your hard drive can handle a few megabytes after several gigatons of samples

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
Re: Pianoteq 5 soley for improving practice? [Re: Sketches] #2443794 07/22/15 08:26 PM
S
Sketches Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the feedback. @MacMacMac Piano in Blue is almost laughable in that respect. Different tools for different jobs I guess as it sounds amazing in the right context.

Re: Pianoteq 5 soley for improving practice? [Re: Doritos Flavoured] #2443795 07/22/15 08:28 PM
S
Sketches Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Sure I guess it can. Might give it a shot and see. Thanks.

90% of my practice I do with the built in sound of my MP10. It reacts in a playability sense better than any of my VSTs. Sounds like crap though in a production. Maybe Ivory two is the perfect compromise. Nothing else seems to be (understandable)

Re: Pianoteq 5 soley for improving practice? [Re: Sketches] #2443801 07/22/15 08:58 PM
lolatu Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just stick with the internal sounds for practice. No, Pianoteq will not make you play any better! But buy it if you have money burning a hole in your pocket and you like buying things.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
Re: Pianoteq 5 soley for improving practice? [Re: Sketches] #2443807 07/22/15 09:48 PM
W
wdco Offline
W
You would probably be very happy with Piano Teq. But there are some things to consider.

First a little background. I used to design digital pianos used by professionals all over the world and I've played piano, all my life (also a tuner/tech). Currently, I am performing live and much of my playing is solo piano. I've just completed a two year trec to see if there is something out there that is truly a professional product that I can play without being distracted by clunky notes, uneven sampling, unnatural decays, flying harmonics and host of other problems that plague most of the products out there. And those problems are there because no one's doing the hard work especially in large memory pianos.

It is the playability of the Piano Teq that's the key and gives a real sense of playing an instrument that expresses beautifully without defects popping up... a product that isn't working against your creativity. I desperation to find one box that might do the job... I bought a Roland RD800 and a Yamaha CP4 after eliminating most of the VST stuff. Most of the VST pianos suffer from defects in layering, poor sampling, pianos not maintained very well, out of tune notes, all stuff that shows up at the wrong times. This is particularly noticeable at high volume on stage during solo performance.

Now the Piano Teq issues: The Piano Teq is only going to feel as good as your controller allows. The only reason I kept the Roland is because the hammer action is a perfect fit for the Piano Teq which is only piano I can use on stage, exposed, at high volume and playing very demanding music. But I had to spend a lot of time editing the out-of-the-box renderings.

So your controller is one key. The other is, finding Piano Teq EDITED piano files... where if someone has done the hard work... you can really have the closest thing to a viable replacement for an acoustic concert grand. Not a single performance goes by that I don't hear how beautiful the piano was. But for me the most important thing is that I didn't miss anything because I was distracted, I was able to stay totally relaxed and focused on maintaining a flow, I was able to perfectly express every single impulse, creative improv, exactly as I intended and that leaves me at the end of the night refreshed, relaxed and assured instead of frazzled because I was distracted by product defects that shouldn't have been there to begin with.

Re: Pianoteq 5 soley for improving practice? [Re: Sketches] #2444075 07/24/15 12:36 AM
K
kippesc Offline
K
I've taken Vintage D and Ivory off my SSD (long ago) and use only Pianoteq. It is more expressive, more realistic, than sampled software pianos, the N2 and the 700NX. I wish the bass were richer, but maybe version 6, 7 … 12 will finally get there. It's great for practice -- a joy to play.

Steinway B
Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Roland RD-700NX
Re: Pianoteq 5 soley for improving practice? [Re: Sketches] #2444122 07/24/15 08:25 AM
W
wdco Offline
W
The bass depends on which Piano model you're using (Steinway, Blutner, K2). If you have the PRO version you can amaze yourself with bass richness. The quick fix is to judiciously use some eq... and it works but is not the best solution. When I edit these pianos I begin by disabling any effects including Reverb, compression, and eq.

So let me know what piano model you're using, which ones you have, and if you have PRO version and then I can better figure out how to help get that rich lower piano stuff. I use Piano Teq in Live performance with a mastering DAC and the sound is magnificent and soooo very easy to play and cover with so little effort.

Re: Pianoteq 5 soley for improving practice? [Re: Sketches] #2444180 07/24/15 11:44 AM
K
kippesc Offline
K
Thanks. I have them all -- even the historical instruments.

Steinway B
Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Roland RD-700NX
Re: Pianoteq 5 soley for improving practice? [Re: kippesc] #2444211 07/24/15 01:09 PM
W
wdco Offline
W
The Blutner is probably the easiest to edit, next is the Steinway, the K2 can sound tremendous but takes a lot of editing to straighten it out.

The easiest way to get the bass up, is to raise the fundamental (front panel gives access to the first 8 harmonics). Try raising the #1 slider and see if that brings the bass up... it should. If in turn that makes the upper octaves obnoxious then you'll have to do some note editing which will clog this thread up... maybe we could start another if you want to pursue it.

Re: Pianoteq 5 soley for improving practice? [Re: Sketches] #2444259 07/24/15 04:24 PM
K
kippesc Offline
K
I will play around with it. Thanks.

Steinway B
Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Roland RD-700NX
Re: Pianoteq 5 soley for improving practice? [Re: Sketches] #2445752 07/30/15 04:40 AM
T
thatdude Offline
T
Hi, could you please post the fxp file after you are satisfied? Us standard users would like to get a taste of the pie as well :P

Casio Privia PX 850
Pianoteq 5 Standard with Blüthner Model One
Kontakt 5 with Imperfect Samples ® - Fazioli Ebony Concert Grand Piano
iMac (Late 2009)

Moderated by  Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Resonance piano-Inspired by the music of Nils Frahm FREE
by newer player - 04/07/20 11:30 PM
Kurzweil PC88mx Repair Help
by wondertwins - 04/07/20 09:17 PM
What is your ranking of the piano composers?
by achoo42 - 04/07/20 08:10 PM
Roland DP603 for my 50th ...
by TheophilusCarter - 04/07/20 07:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,981
Posts2,942,900
Members96,529
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission