Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
150 registered members (accordeur, AWilley, AlphaBravoCharlie, BachToTheFuture, ando, Animisha, Antihero, 32 invisible), 2,029 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Saying good bye to my piano with a matching tatoo! Ideas? #2442146
07/17/15 11:01 AM
07/17/15 11:01 AM
San Francisco Bay Area
P I A N O piano Offline OP
P I A N O piano  Offline OP

San Francisco Bay Area
Hello all,

Not sure who knows what but the bottom line is that I survived a brutal divorce financially (protected my pension but got no cash, from our home), emotionally (sustained exposure to sudden, repeated, overt affairs, jealousy over my music life) and the list goes on and on. Anyway- as it turns out, my only precious possession is my Steinway b- and I just cannot afford to keep it any longer (huge payments, financed, no longer appropriate to own) ... I was able to negotiate a "trade down" at the Steinway dealer where I purchased it years ago as I do not have the necessary time to find a buyer to recover any cash. I will have a very beat up Steinway L but played nice enough for me to continue studies & practice. For that, I am grateful.

The piano trade will occur next Thursday and I have permission to inscribe the smallest "marking" somewhere in the underbelly. I'd love to inscribe a word of thanks, of appreciation for the time I had with this lovely instrument as I am not sure I will ever have the priviledge of having such a piano such as this again. I want to convey to you that this "b" had a particularly sweet, almost harp-like, precious tone to it. The action so regular (and delightfully fast and accommodating to produce the clearest of trills!) Oh, it is a sweet love. I thought sharing this among other pianists....well, you'd understand. So, in pressing my "mark" underneath the piano, I'd like to have a matching, small tattoo so that I feel ever connected to this instrument. I do think it will help my grief. It has been a brutal year and I am still processing it all! (You see, about 14 months ago I thought we were happy and all was lovely in our marriage... so I didn't see this coming!) Okay- well, thanks for reading and I know I haven't been here so much as life just took over in the most pressing way! I am grateful for my health, my never wavering love of music, dear friends, colleagues, and fellow pianists- be grateful for your pianos!

Here's my question: any ideas for a lovely iconic marking or phrase that means: sweetest of tone + love + gratitude? Those are my inspiring thoughts towards a tattoo of some sort... any quote from a composer that conveys this? Any small image or icon, perhaps? Thank you!

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Saying good bye to my piano with a matching tatoo! Ideas? [Re: P I A N O piano] #2442148
07/17/15 11:05 AM
07/17/15 11:05 AM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
Better idea: Save your money until you can get the piano you want.

Semipro Tech
Re: Saying good bye to my piano with a matching tatoo! Ideas? [Re: P I A N O piano] #2442151
07/17/15 11:08 AM
07/17/15 11:08 AM
San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Bay Area
This was my only way out of the debt- to take a very cheap piano- as I still owed $ on it. I am saving my money for the piano that I want- I imagine that will take years and I am okay with that. Are you suggesting to skip the tattoo idea? smile

Re: Saying good bye to my piano with a matching tatoo! Ideas? [Re: P I A N O piano] #2442156
07/17/15 11:19 AM
07/17/15 11:19 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida
Heart outline, piano in middle and music notes coming out? T If piano in middle is too complex, an intertwined S and your first initial. This is as creative as I can get but it might give you a start to thinking.

Sorry you have no way out of this decision and such a tough time.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Saying good bye to my piano with a matching tatoo! Ideas? [Re: P I A N O piano] #2442158
07/17/15 11:28 AM
07/17/15 11:28 AM
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Arghhh  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Photo of you with the piano and a good quality recording of you playing something you think brings out its best qualities?

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
Re: Saying good bye to my piano with a matching tatoo! Ideas? [Re: P I A N O piano] #2442163
07/17/15 11:53 AM
07/17/15 11:53 AM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Know that you have already changed that piano by playing it and that it has changed you forever as well. The sound waves have penetrated all your cells.

Le Petit Prince says that what is essential is invisible to the eyes.

Learner
Re: Saying good bye to my piano with a matching tatoo! Ideas? [Re: P I A N O piano] #2442168
07/17/15 11:59 AM
07/17/15 11:59 AM
Middle Georgia, USA
Tararex Offline
Tararex  Offline

Middle Georgia, USA
I'm sorry for your losses.

Sometimes decisions made under emotional stress are not appropriate once life normalizes.

Is it possible that a tattoo will end up a constant reminder of both lost piano and the person causing its necessity? Plus, when others learn the reason behind the tattoo they may see you as a person who won't or can't move on. (Worst part being they will never be certain if it's the piano or the relationship behind the tattoo.)

I agree that a framed photo of your piano to stand guard over your temporary acquisition might work out better in the long run.

[Linked Image]

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever. Accept this as truth or risk a quick exit with tail between legs.

Re: Saying good bye to my piano with a matching tatoo! Ideas? [Re: P I A N O piano] #2442175
07/17/15 12:19 PM
07/17/15 12:19 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
I'm with Tararex on this, all the way.

Moreover, the fad for tattoos is one that I have a great deal of difficulty with, whatever their size or message; I haven't seen one that I would like engraved on my skin. When you're old and grey and the skin begins to do what it inevitably does in old age, tattoos can be even more unsightly than they are when new.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Saying good bye to my piano with a matching tatoo! Ideas? [Re: P I A N O piano] #2442182
07/17/15 12:41 PM
07/17/15 12:41 PM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
3000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

SE USA
S&S lyre logo? "Model B Always in My Heart."

I'm not so opposed to tattoos as I am to bad art as a permanent acquisition. And pain. 😀

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Re: Saying good bye to my piano with a matching tatoo! Ideas? [Re: P I A N O piano] #2442217
07/17/15 02:18 PM
07/17/15 02:18 PM
W
wouter79 Online content
5000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
W

Tararex +1

Sorry to hear your loss

But I also wouldn't go for the tatoo.

How about
- make some good recordings with a good and well-placed mic. Record all the notes separately. Invite some friends that can also play on it. Whatever.
- give it a good cleaning
- do a photoshoot.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Saying good bye to my piano with a matching tatoo! Ideas? [Re: wouter79] #2442232
07/17/15 03:15 PM
07/17/15 03:15 PM
P
PintoBean Offline
PintoBean  Offline
P

Even though I have tattoos, I wouldn't suggest getting a tattoo of the piano.

As mentioned by a previous poster, there are a mixed bag of emotions tied to your current state, and perhaps those memories and feelings would be dredged up every time you looked at your tat.

Your piano sounds real classy, and I think a beautiful framed picture of it would be a great way to honor it. If you are a good photographer, you could even make an artsy photobook that you could put on your coffee table for guests to peruse.

Good luck with everything. I hope your music gives you comfort in your time of need!

Re: Saying good bye to my piano with a matching tatoo! Ideas? [Re: P I A N O piano] #2442243
07/17/15 04:04 PM
07/17/15 04:04 PM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

3000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

3000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
I know you are emotionally involved right now - but it is about the music that you make, not the piano that you make it on. Pianos come and go, they even change from year to year (or season to season). Pianists have to cope with many different pianos, good and bad, and still make music...

Sam

Re: Saying good bye to my piano with a matching tatoo! Ideas? [Re: P I A N O piano] #2442255
07/17/15 05:05 PM
07/17/15 05:05 PM
Florida, United States
Bsw Offline
Bsw  Offline

Florida, United States
I would not get a tatoo for a sad memory. Every time you look at it, it will be a reminder. I have 2 for happy memories. And even though I do not look at them every day, when it does, they make me smile.

Very sad for your situation. As others have suggested a picture is a nice alternative and if you find looking at it makes you sad, you can always put it away for another day.

Started October 2014
Faber & Faber 3
Faber & Faber 2B completed
Alfred's Adult All-In-One
[Linked Image]
Re: Saying good bye to my piano with a matching tatoo! Ideas? [Re: P I A N O piano] #2442272
07/17/15 06:17 PM
07/17/15 06:17 PM
T
TwoSnowflakes Offline
2000 Post Club Member
TwoSnowflakes  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
T

The vast majority of tattoos seem to be obtained during a state of emotional flux, but yet if I were asked to conjure a kind of decision that feels almost prototypical of one ill-suited for such periods of time, "get a tattoo" would likely be right up there. Along with "go to Las Vegas", "tell your [insert family member here] how you really feel", or "invest any amount of money that could be reasonably described as 'my life savings'".

I suppose if you keep it small and unobtrusive it stands less of a chance of being something that either you simply don't like later, or something which reminds you of that which you'd prefer not to be constantly reminded of.

Of course this risk can be mitigated entirely by simply not getting a tattoo right now.

If you'll excuse me, I have a phone call to make to my mother-in-law.

Re: Saying good bye to my piano with a matching tatoo! Ideas? [Re: P I A N O piano] #2442276
07/17/15 06:33 PM
07/17/15 06:33 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
I'm with the others advocating not getting the tattoo. If you really, really must, make a pact with yourself to wait 12 months--and then re-evaluate.

As for the symbol you leave with the piano--how about a grace note? It sounds as though the piano brought a touch of grace to your life.

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: Saying good bye to my piano with a matching tatoo! Ideas? [Re: Stubbie] #2442312
07/17/15 09:39 PM
07/17/15 09:39 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted by Stubbie
...As for the symbol you leave with the piano--how about a grace note? It sounds as though the piano brought a touch of grace to your life.

Nice!

Everyone can use a little bit of grace!

And it will come in handy if you want to dance La Bamba!

Learner
Re: Saying good bye to my piano with a matching tatoo! Ideas? [Re: P I A N O piano] #2442331
07/18/15 12:05 AM
07/18/15 12:05 AM
San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Bay Area
Wow! Such insight! Thank you! I didn't think about my age/skin issue with the tattoo... hmmm, not so attractive! (I mean, I am 56 and still... should consider this sort of thing.)

I fully appreciate any piano. I approach all pianos as potential "friends!" In fact, I am drawn to pianos! Especially pianos who seem to crave attention... so, my next piano is perfect in every way. It's just that, well, I had a chance to taste some super fine wine. Or, a Ferrari, as I've been told. I know it will be loved by someone else. I am exposing the "emotional me" versus the "thinking, logical me!"

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sostenuto pedal made by Renner in uprights ?
by Lady Bird. 11/13/19 07:21 AM
How do you listen to recital tracks: headphones, speakers?
by QuasiUnaFantasia. 11/13/19 04:15 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,057
Posts2,890,348
Members94,955
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission