2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 8 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 412 of 540 1 2 410 411 412 413 414 539 540
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I played my piano for the first time this morning in nearly 7 weeks. YAY! grin
Off to church now, my third round of Chemo is tomorrow. UGH! However I seem to be tolerating the treatments well and have only the extreme tiredness and mild nausea. No hair loss nosebleeds, cramping, mouth sores, or pukage. Having a pretty good day so far today. Some are bad but most are fair to good. I am blessed for sure.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I haven't posted in a while. Even this post is more about intention than acheivement. I started back on the sheet music for Fire and Rain by James Taylor. I'm starting from the beginning, right hand melody only. As usual with pop songs, I'm going to do my own arrangement, but I have to learn the melody well first to internalize the music.

I watched a couple of Youtube videos about CAGF improvisation (one from the prolific Bill Hilton). Gosh, that simple chord progression sounds good. There is something about appeals to human brains. Perhaps because we have heard it so many times in pop songs, perhaps something even deeper, going back generations, that our ancestors sang folk songs structured that way.

Overall for 2015, my piano activity is way down. Some days only 15 to 20 minutes. 30 minutes is now a good day. It is sad that chronic repetitive stress issues from my days before piano limit what I can attempt.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Ragdoll! So good to hear from you, and glad it's a good day. May there be many more.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Ragdoll - great to hear from you ! I'm sorry you have to have the chemo, but glad you are tolerating it so well! I hope that you don't have many more treatments to deal with -and that they work REALLY well!!!!

Sand Tiger - sorry to hear about your playing restrictions due to stress pains - I know how disappointing that can be.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur
Ragdoll! So good to hear from you, and glad it's a good day. May there be many more.

+1. You're in our prayers.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ragdoll - It is great to hear from you. I am glad to hear the Chemo is going well, and you were able to play piano again. I wish you the best in your recovery!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
@Cheryl, Cathy, Stubbie and Doris

Thanks you so much for your prayers and encouraging words. I truly appreciate all of them...and your friendship as well.

I have lost a lot in my playing but after this round of Chemo maybe I can gain it all back. If so, I'll try to submit something from the GASB in September.

To quote Clint Eastwood (Bridges of Madison County); "I had a lot of dreams when I was young, they didn't all come true, but I'm glad I had `em." laugh cool

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Ragdoll welcome back. I hope you get better soon. I'm very sure you will. In my piano group we had two people had to go through chemo and they all came back and doing well. Both of them resumed piano slowly but in a matter of a few months they came back with full swing. Medical progress is amazing. Also strong were their desire to play... You cannot dismiss the power there.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ragdoll, so nice to hear from you! I'm so happy you're playing piano again, and I wish you the best in your recovery!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ragdoll,

Glad to see you back on the AOTW and wishing you a speedy and complete recovery asap. It would be great to hear a GASB entry from you.

PS. really like that Clint Eastwood quote. Assume you know he is a good jazz pianist and loves the gasb tunes.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ragdoll--I'm glad you felt well enough to play and to attend church. Hang in there; you're a trooper.

Learner
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Many happy returns Ragdoll, of the daily kind! I know that doing the things that feed your soul really does aid recovery.

My AOTW is to almost have the first two pages of Passepied ( Debussy's Bergamesque) down.It's been frustratingly slow because I've had to fight for practise time, sometimes only 15 mins a day! I started last April and now can really manage the tempo evenly and that left hand staccatto is consistent, and I even no longer think of the 3 against 4 tempo, just feel it. It's all downhill from here and even though it's a long time since I turned past this section I'm not at all worried about it.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
@CarlosCC, Malkin,JimF and PalmPirate, Thanks for your encouraging words, your support means much to me.

I survived my 3 round of Chemo today despite the 4 hr. loss of air conditioning in the infusion lab. Outside temp was 100º, about 150º or so in there. eek I had very good news in that my latest CTs showed my neck tumor has diminished about 25 -30%. And one of 2 small lung lesions marginally about 10%. I will see Dr. again in three weeks. laugh laugh I am blessed to be sure.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks FarmGirl for the encouragement. I have a deep abiding faith in God and besides that, I'm tough as a two dollar steak. grin

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Now we're gettin' somewhere. I got up early showered, ate breakfast and sat the bench.

Determined to play hands separate on the piece I had nearly perfected months ago. <sigh> I was amazed at what I remembered but then the hands together failed miserably. Couldn't seem to concentrate well or focus or ???. So what! I'm on my way. <whine> My arms hurt now. frown hmpf so what! Hoping to resume lessons within the month>

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I think my achievement, and a few weeks back actually, is to realize that I don't need any piano method books anymore. I'm able to select pieces and exercises on my own now.
So, in that respect it seems to me that I have advanced somewhat.

Will do some R&B for a while. Give the classical a break.
You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Guess my last AOTW wasn't that much of an achievement although I've done it every day since. I had no idea the very mention of faith in God could empty a room so quickly. I can now play my hands together trying to recover this piece I had learned, it's progressing quite slowly but no mistakes or hesitations now. I'm in love once more with my piano! laugh

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
That's the trouble with bringing God into the conversation. Half the world thinks you're loopy, most of the rest think you follow the WRONG God. So, not wanting to pick a fight with what seems like a nice person, they shy off!

Whatever. Good luck and best wishes for both your music and your health from me, purely as one human being to anothere. And if you feel you have a secret weapon, use it for all it's worth!

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
That's the trouble with bringing God into the conversation. Half the world thinks you're loopy, most of the rest think you follow the WRONG God. So, not wanting to pick a fight with what seems like a nice person, they shy off!

Whatever. Good luck and best wishes for both your music and your health from me, purely as one human being to anothere. And if you feel you have a secret weapon, use it for all it's worth!

+1 to what Exalted Wombat sez. Politics, too. If you're on the "wrong" side, look out.

Page 412 of 540 1 2 410 411 412 413 414 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission