2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
67 members (beeboss, bob@pei, Burkhard, accordeur, brennbaer, AJB, Animisha, 13 invisible), 855 guests, and 359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hello folks,

As it is my first post here, let me introduce myself: my name is Arnaud. I work at a company called Yousician - we develop apps to make music education easier/more enjoyable. Up to now we have encountered quite a lot of success working with guitarists (think of us as a real-guitar, real-method Guitar Hero). In that time we have been asked constantly about working on an app for piano, and so we started doing just that.

We have very recently released our first (private) alpha, and we are looking for pianists of all levels to test our app and tell us what is good/wrong, especially in terms of interface. Whether you think it's good or terrible, do not hesitate. [b]If we are going a wrong way, we would much rather be told it now[/b] than realise it later and you are in the best position to judge.

[img:left]http://i.imgur.com/OJiwo5B.png[/img]

Here is the link to the subscription page for those who would like to take a peek/a good look: [color:#3366FF] [url=https://app.yousician.com/piano]https://app.yousician.com/piano[/url] https://app.yousician.com/piano[/color]

We would be really grateful if you took a bit of your time, even just five minutes to give us some feedback.

I hope to see some of you around, and don't hesitate to ask questions here if you have some - I might be a bit technically limited myself (I am a guitarist), but I have two piano teacher just behind me that I can easily bug. I will stick around anyways, it's a nice place you folks have here.

Hi,

I am a early intermediate player who's main goal is to learn how to play jazz music. But I'm also a software developer and always looking for helpful and enjoyable apps/games that support learning how to play.

I started betatesting Yousician for piano 9 days ago and I am at level 5 right now. So far it has been a fun experience.

Good things:
- free version, which you can play for about 20 min every 12 hrs
- fingering is highlighted by colors
- MIDI support (right now it's just a workaround with a short delay, but it's possible)
- very creative play along backing tracks with funny texts (love it!)
- feedback if your timing is bad

TODO better:
- in the free version every 3-5 minutes an audio-ad is playing which advertises the premium version => the ad is too frequently and the volume is raised so that you have to turn off sound and wait 'til it's over (a little bit too annoying)
- no feedback if key has been pressed long enough (half, quarter, eigth note, ...)
- possibility missing to switch from colored bars to actual notes (good for those who already can read notes)

Best regards,
toolsche

M
M
I just discovered this thread today. Only one post since July 30; is Yousician for Piano still a viable product? Have you given up on piano?

J
J
I started a couple of days ago. I have yet to find a piano learning app that I can stick with.

F
F
I hope you are still interested in feedback. I am not far from a complete newbie, having spent a few weeks with Yousician.

There are lots of positives about it. You guys deserve kudos for what you did in a short amount of time.

That said, here are a few things that could be improved in the near future:

- Note and timing recognition is not always accurate. I do use a MIDI connection from my Yamaha P255 into the iPhone 6S Plus. However, it looks like neither Desktop nor iOS versions use MIDI info for recognition, but still produce and rely on generated sounds. I am sure that was quicker for your team to do, given time constraints, but I think that Yousician and its users would benefit from leveraging MIDI directly.

- Note coloring is somewhat inconsistent. Position shifting is not always indicated on the staff, making the problem worse. I am still early in the training, but I hope that Yousician will eventually lead me to playing without colors.

- Timing feedback (i.e. 'a bit early', 'late', 'perfect', etc.) is very difficult to see while playing from a normal distance, even on a fairly large iPhone 6S Plus. It was impossible to see on iPhone 6S. I hope you can find a better way to do it for smaller screen sizes.

That's it for now. I'll continue playing and post back if I find anything else. Best wishes to you guys in 2016!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am looking for fun ways to keep my nefews playing the black and white keys.... Would this app be both fun as well as educational?

P
P
I'm grade 4 intermediate. Found it interesting for about ten minutes . Then got bored with it. Would be great to have an on line app/ YouTube/ web site which is really professional and serve as a serious tool for learning. I always look out for this and have never ever found one yet(would be more then pleased to pay)There are better resources for other instruments ie drums, guitar etc. Don't get me wrong IMHO looks like a fun way of learning for beginners at grade 1 or 2. For me i give it a miss.

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Embertone Walker 1955 Concert D questions
by babama - 07/07/22 07:48 AM
Floating Index Finger
by DuvetJackson - 07/07/22 04:36 AM
Piano accompaniment Apps
by Johnmak - 07/07/22 02:54 AM
Free sacred piano solo :Holy, Holy, Holy
by dogperson - 07/06/22 09:40 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,840
Posts3,206,069
Members105,742
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission