2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (ada d., brdwyguy, accordeur, Christopher90, CentauriB, clothearednincompo, 36251, 14 invisible), 994 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Some people can't resist composing their own little pieces. I've never tried that, but I can't resist trying to get the melody of some famous song. It's what I always did as a child with the recorder and with my sister's toy organ. laugh Now, on the piano, I realize that is nothing for all the new possibilities it offers.

When I do auditive exercises, some times I don't even get which note is higher or lower out of 3 possible intervals; and when I get these songs, the way I like to do it is to just get them out of my head. I could follow the same process by listening to some piano piece, but that is even harder for me.

Ok, so this is like a crazy song. laugh Do you agree? My first attempt at it was 1. In the middle of the song, it goes to a different key, so I realize the song could also start in G (right?)

[Linked Image]

Bear in mind I got that above from a midi recorded with my 0 level playing.

After getting that out of my mind, I went to check music sheet and hear piano versions. It seems to me this song can be played in many different ways (of course inside the song itself there would be more changes than what I have here). I saw it in B and then got a version in B. In this new version, I've written the notes in MuseScore myself, but you have to know the song anyway and choose your own rhythm laugh

[Linked Image]

I don't like the second F in the 5th bar.

We were talking about trying some new game. I wanted to do something where we can start searching for a melody (we can still find more melodies for "I've got the world on a string"), but this song is probably too difficult to start; I can't play the scores myself… laugh I noticed in the Chinese Whispers game, some people felt like changing the melody, and I thought that's something that could be done if it is an exercise like mine.

Anyhow, I've finally posted this because we were talking about some possible game, but I still don't know how we could do it, and sure we'd need to start with some very easy famous song (Moon River's melody looks easier?). But if some dare to start with this one…find a new way for the melody! (There has to be lots), or correct mine if you want (that F is not nice at all, some idea?)

I am afraid I still have not learnt how to make a midi into an mp3 so all I can leave here now is the messy scores.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Then I've heard these piano songs, and realize the melody has less notes…no need for so many notes as I tend to put:

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Excellent thoughts, Abunea! Doing this kind of thing "on the fly" is one of the skills I eventually want to have, so that when I play I don't play it the same way every time and my audience won't be so bored.

Singers alter melodies all the time. I've heard almost no one sing the ending to "Tennesse Waltz" the way it was written - there's a kind of stylistic "tag" that most people revert to at the end. There are many, many ways to alter a line - using a different harmony note, or a little run up to a note, a different rhythm, or whatever. Traditional music players, at least in Celtic, pride themselves, if they can do it, on never playing a melody the same way twice in a row, whether they just add different ornaments or actually alter the melody. Although actually it's hard sometimes, as you have noted here, to know what the basic bottom-line melody notes actually are. I've often wondered, what makes this tune *this* tune, and not *that* tune? Why do I recognize it when it's played so differently than I usually play it?

Any way, yours is a great post. it is such an adventure to experiment with this stuff. Thanks for posting this!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by jotur
I've often wondered, what makes this tune *this* tune, and not *that* tune? Why do I recognize it when it's played so differently than I usually play it?

Yes! What is it?

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I haven't figured it out yet laugh

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
What are you proposing here? Will members post scores of their variations on your melody?

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
That is a possibility, Polyphonist! Or get another melody…I am sure there are more. laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Line outs recording vs USB recording
by PianoStartsAt33 - 08/10/22 09:33 AM
I'm playing in a special recital!
by Sam S - 08/10/22 09:25 AM
Great Piano Tutorial
by Bart K - 08/10/22 03:54 AM
Piano mindset
by pablobear - 08/10/22 01:37 AM
Boston UP-118S opinions
by skern49 - 08/09/22 11:13 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,326
Posts3,215,204
Members106,055
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission