2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 47 1 2 3 4 5 46 47
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mihaila
Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
Hanon is a tough slog. Not sure it's for me either. At the time Hanon wrote these exercises finger independence and strengthening was thought to be the key to virtuostic playing. Now the thinking is more of a whole body approach, using shoulders, arm weight, wrist rotation. If you're playing Hanon and feel any discomfort or pain - stop.

I worked on the tricky middle section of the Chopin Etude 10/3. I found a Paul Barton tutorial on YT which had some helpful practice ideas. Made some progress towards being able to play it for the first time for my teacher in a few weeks.

I'm not sure where you are in your musical journey, but I thought I'd interject something real quick. While Hanon does seem to overemphasize the finger-centric elements to playing, even with perfect supporting movements, finger independence is crucial. I'm just saying this because, looking back, I wish I had taken Hanon more seriously.

Nicholas,......Hanon or not.....the most important is......enjoy music and playing piano....watched your youtube and saw you do...... thumb thumb

Kind regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
7 June

Played today only my favs from 22.40 - 23.20h.....arghhhh frown frown

Drove about 300 km to my adult daughter in another part of the country......my wife painted a wall for her...while I was sitting in the sunshine on my daughters roof terrace......not bad... grin
After that we had a nice dinner in some restaurant.......back home at 22.00h....

Regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

N
N
Originally Posted by Johan B
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mihaila
Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
Hanon is a tough slog. Not sure it's for me either. At the time Hanon wrote these exercises finger independence and strengthening was thought to be the key to virtuostic playing. Now the thinking is more of a whole body approach, using shoulders, arm weight, wrist rotation. If you're playing Hanon and feel any discomfort or pain - stop.

I worked on the tricky middle section of the Chopin Etude 10/3. I found a Paul Barton tutorial on YT which had some helpful practice ideas. Made some progress towards being able to play it for the first time for my teacher in a few weeks.

I'm not sure where you are in your musical journey, but I thought I'd interject something real quick. While Hanon does seem to overemphasize the finger-centric elements to playing, even with perfect supporting movements, finger independence is crucial. I'm just saying this because, looking back, I wish I had taken Hanon more seriously.

Nicholas,......Hanon or not.....the most important is......enjoy music and playing piano....watched your youtube and saw you do...... thumb thumb

Kind regards,
Johan B

Absolutely true. I couldn't argue with that. laugh

Follow my mixed gaming and musical ambitions through my YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/NTMihaila

My cover of Inuyasha - Every Heart: https://youtu.be/-rFKbUoO7bM

Currently working on Fantasie Impromptu and Animenz's Owari no Sekai Kara.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Yes, Hannon can be tough and dangerous if not listening to the body signals.
I'm being careful smile
Did about 5 hrs of Hannon and Czerny today, but not pushing it in tempo.

Will do some R&B for a while. Give the classical a break.
You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
5 hrs ?? How on earth do you do that? I'm so proud when I manage to get in 3 hrs in one day, on a weekend (with plenty breaks in between).

Last edited by Jytte; 06/08/15 02:13 PM.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hi Jytte,
Yes,I had a good day today. The weather was cold and cloudy for this time of year and I also needed to rest up my muscles after many days of gardening/landscaping (lots of digging).
So, a perfect day for piano and I was able to zoom in on myself.
At peace today and need more days like that.
It's not always like that and not enough patience too often.
But I'm working on it!
And I still have more that I will do today smile
Not pushing the tempo at all though, mainly learning the moves.

You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
RaggedKeyPresser,

You did a good job. It' so nice when you have time to play for hours...... thumb thumb

8 June

Today I took my books Keyboardsuites of Händel......so nice 3hearts 3hearts.... .....mmmmmmm...I can Händel it.......

Kind regards,
Johan b

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Today, Telemann Overture No. 1. Still working the first page. Plan to print the rest of the Overtures later. Beethoven Op 14 No 2 first mvt first page. Working on correcting errors I am making in the same places, slowly and deliberately. Scarlatti Op 141, slowly, page 1. Started using the metronome on this one to prevent me from cutting myself too much slack. Best part is am enjoying returning to the piano. No tension while playing. I used to clench my jaws so hard that my jaws hurt after practicing.

When practicing I can almost feel my last piano teacher in the room with me. He passed away about 10 years ago.

Always working to improve "Chopsticks". I'll never give up on it.
I rarely use a metronome.....but when I do, the piece sounds so much better! But I still don't use it!

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
This a.m. worked on page 1 of Scarlatti K 141. Left hand arpeggios much improved, hands very relaxed and comfortable. Rolling chords in left hand getting easier with lighter touch. (My left hand has always been somewhat dumber than the right). Will work this later with metronome, not very fast, because I don't want to have to unlearn mistakes.

What have you practiced today?

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Thanks, Johan B
Today easy Bach, and some more Hanon and Czerny #3

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
9 June

Today noTelemann, Bach or Händel........but.......

Reinecke, Sonatines and smaller works
Schumann, Waldszenen and Sonaten for the young

And in the afternoon......Jazzstandards, Budgetbooks (Hal Leonard), the Album Best songs ever and some stuff of André Rieu.....

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I normally have my practice session in the morning before I go to work, usually spending some 30 - 40 minutes. Much of this time I spend on new pieces, but sometimes I also do maintenance on old repertoire.

Today I worked on the following pieces:
Debussy, Reverie
Faure, Barcarolle no.1
Mendelssohn, three of the Songs Without Words

I try to keep 10 - 15 of Mendelsson's songs without words on my repertoire ready for performance at any time. I choose more or less randomly (or by mood) a couple of pieces for every practice session.

The Faure and Debussy pieces are relatively new to me and I work on details and memorization of them. The Faure is challenging technically and I need to have it completely memorized in order to be able to play it reasonably well. Therefore most of the time this morning was used on a few measures of the Barcarolle.

P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
Astor Piazolla-Milonga del angel I discovered this piece in my daughter's piano book and wow - what a great piece. Here's a gorgeous performance of the piece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6tWjLCpF4I

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I’m re-practicing “Lullaby of the Bells” by Ed Ward, because it reminds me of a new piece (for me) by Rachmaninoff “ Rromance” opus something or other ---8 no 2-- …lol, that I’m studying.
Tip: there is value in playing old pieces you have learned esp in concordance with a new piece that you find similar.
Helps me in the sense I played something similar and it’s attainable… I hope.

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Oh Pianogirl, work that piece. I am part Cuban and looked up the translation for the title. Could be dance or tale of the angel. It's a beautiful piece.

P
P
Ludovico Einaudi - Questa Notte

I have been playing for a year and a half and this will be my first "big" piece i learn.

It is very hard, but both me and my teacher thought i would be a nice piece to learn through the summer.

I like Einaudi alot, so im very happy i can startt o learn some of his work, though i suspect i it will take months

before i can play this piece to an ok standard wink

Nord Piano 3 - Adam A3X - Adam sub 7
YAMAHA N1 - Roland Integra 7
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Today, Scarlatti K 141, slowly, pg 1. Explored page two a little, very slowly.

Next session will be Telemann Overture 1 and Bach Invemtion No. 14 (played this over 20 years ago, trying to get it back).

Happy Piano Playing!!!

Last edited by Isabelle1949; 06/10/15 03:28 PM.

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Isabelle1949
Today, Scarlatti K 141, slowly, pg 1. Explored page two a little, very slowly.

Next session will be Telemann Overture 1 and Bach Invemtion No. 14 (played this over 20 years ago, trying to get it back).

Happy Piano Playing!!!

Isabelle,
Happy that you're happy with the baroque composers......you did a good job..... thumb thumb

10 June

Today total other music.....came home from work about 16h with a terrible headache, took some pills and started playing with slow music...just to relax....I have the idea that I can play my headache away... wink found in my library easy little sonates of Schumann and small works of Reinecke and Nicolai von Wilm....played for one hour and after dinner at about 18h I realized my headache had gone....

In the evening I continued playing the romantic composers. Played for more than two hours. Among others I played nine Sonatines of Reinecke (opus 47) 3hearts 3hearts You can find them at IMSLP.ORG

Best regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 06/10/15 04:09 PM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Will be analyzing and making notations on the Telemann and Scarlatti. I think this does help with learning. Never thought I would ever have said that. I wish I hadn't thrown out all of mt theory stuff.

Page 3 of 47 1 2 3 4 5 46 47

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission