2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
My son loves his recitals and the fact he rattled his program was a sign of immaturity nothing else. FWIW- He loves holding the program and treasures it. His teacher keeps her recitals short too and there are always refreshments afterwards. The post program social aspect is definitely a big hit for him.

Yamaha G2
B
B
Just finished my studio recital yesterday and it took 45 minutes. My students all sit together on first three rows with me. Everyone is given a program and I do the same thing at the pizza party rehearsal the week before. I normally don't have any problem. We talk before about sitting quietly listening to each person play just as they would want everyone to sit quietly for them. Usually only have to look back 1 time if one of my boys is getting a bit restless. I like them to have one so they can follow along with who is playing and what they are playing. I don't have to call anyone up to play. They know who they follow and to get up while the other person is coming back to their seat.

Originally Posted by keystring
From having been a student in recitals, there is one bit of logistics that was sort of touched upon, when chasingrainbows cited one reason why her young performers were picking up the programs:
checking the program to see when their turn would be, etc. ...

I think it is actually important to know when your turn is, and being seated roughly "in order of performance" doesn't give you that. When you are suddenly called up, you must in a split second be alert and focused, for a performance that might last only 2 minutes, and either you make it or you blow it. Professional performers will be on stage much longer so they have a chance to warm up, and if they start flubbing it, have time to turn it around, etc. I suspect that a performer also knows exactly when he is going on.

What about having something like a whiteboard or chalk board set up, giving the order or performance so that the students can see when they are about to be up? Throughout the time of recitals I found this part to be a problem, and if I found this part difficult, how about the kids?

Bachelor of Music (church music)
Master of Church Music (organ, music education)
Piano Teacher since 1992
Church Musician since 1983
B
B
I guess I expect more from my students. I had over 100 people at a recital yesterday. Recital held in one room and reception in another. Recital room was spotless when I went to check after everyone had left. A couple of moms help me serve the reception and clean up while I am "working the room."

Piano Teacher since 1992
B
B
I have appreciated your posts on this subject here and on your blog. I also was always in the bottom of the recital list due to my more advanced playing. Did I like the recitals? Absolutely not! My last one I bombed because I procrastinated memorizing my piece which I hated with a passion (and I still do - good old John Thompson Grade 5!) I played two lines and that hit a complete wall and could not remember anymore. Looking back - my teacher should have caught this. While part of it was my fault for not memorizing, she was also at fault for letting me get up there without being prepared. I was very embarrassed. Made even worse by getting an award as best student. This was my last piano recital though since I wanted to learn to play the organ. Sad thing was I never could get back on the memory bike. Thankfully, you aren't required to memorize your music as an organ major.

My studio - we always have an annual pizza party. My students love it. They play their two pieces for everyone. No parents or anyone else are invited. When I asked them to vote if they would want to continue having a recital each year, they all voted no (remember no parents were there). The pizza party is for them. The recital is for who? The parents. Going to work on possibly changing that.

This year's preparation was horrible due to children being pulled in so many different directions with practicing, school, sports and or dance. A couple of my students worried me up to 2 weeks ago when I said pieces had to be ready to go. It is not worth the hassle for me and the stress for them. And, honestly, now and in the foreseeable future, please tell me what career someone will be able to make in music except as a top tier performer. Churches are starting to die and close, and that pace will only quicken each year. I am a church musician now. Not too sure I will be able to have a job in 10-15 years. We are in for dark days in music in this country.

Originally Posted by TheHappyPianoMuse
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Protest away. Tilt at windmills while you're at it. Kids are kids, not miniature adults. Sometimes in life, you have to do things for which you do not see the immediate value, but in later years, look back on with affection.

Well here's a little experiment. Ask the next adult you meet who had piano lessons as a child ... and who is NOT a piano teacher, professional musician or even someone who is still playing the piano ... how much they enjoyed those recitals. You'll have your answer right there. The average length of time a child takes lessons is between two and thee years ... and then most do not ever touch a piano again. And if you can stand to hear the truth ... most hated those recitals.

I try to work with this terrible stat ... and at least make sure my students enjoy their lessons and actually learned something and above all, appreciate and love good music. I know most of mine have.

BTW ... I loved recitals. I was the star student. I nearly always was one of the last on that program, had the most complex piece of music and garnered the most applause. Of COURSE I loved that. laugh But most of the others didn't. frown

Piano Teacher since 1992
B
B
I have stayed off this forum for the ugliness that some seem to want to write about someone if someone offers a differing opinion. I don't do community events or, heaven help, Guild events. That is not my focus. My average tenure of my students is 4-6 years. If a student (or usually parents) are so competitive oriented, I tell them nicely that I would not be the teacher for them. We aren't all things to all students.

And BTW, I have the once per year recital. It is held at a nice local church with a/c. And no one would disagree more strongly with me if I said I didn't expect success with everyone whether in my studio or at my church. I happened to even mention it yesterday in my recital's closing remarks and how parents can help having this attitude when a child practices at home.

Gosh, just love generalizations and jumping figuratively on someone because they don't agree with you. You don't know me and I don't know you. Now you can jump on me. But I'm gone. The ugliness is not something that I need or want. We are all just expressing our opinion or what works for us.

Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
The question wasn't whether students like recitals or not. The question involved programs. Students dislike many things, much of which is good for them despite their dislikes. If you don't want your students to perform, no skin off my back, although I pity your students. I deeply resented my teacher's approach, which was similar to yours, as she avoided community recitals like the plague, except for the highly feared year end, formal dress recital, usually in the blazing heat of early summer and no A/C. Although I didn't particularly enjoy the event, going in, I was always satisfied afterwards. We (our chapter) offer recitals, and teachers/students can take it or leave it. But I strongly urge my students to participate, and prepare them for success, not failure. My studio offers house recitals, we have piano playing parties, and we have monthly performance classes. If piano families wish to avoid playing the piano in front of others, they have many, many options. My studio just isn't one of them.

Piano Teacher since 1992
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Thank you for your kind words. I'm so glad you enjoyed my blog. My approach to music ... and to life in general ... is that the purpose of it all is to enjoy it and be happy. Sometimes easier said than done frown

Music is one of life's great joys. And to see it made a burden on so many youngsters absolutely breaks my heart. I had one High School teacher who changed the entire course of my life in my last year of High School .... by encouraging me and by showing me the sheer beauty of his subject ( English Literature) ... a gift of confidence in myself and joy in learning. Wow.

In tribute to him ... and to what doors he opened for me ... I march on. I'm impervious to harsh disapproval. My blogs are my testament. Nothing brings me more joy than when I see someone has downloaded an original piece from some far away country ... and I know some child is playing those notes half a world away!

That is my armor against criticism. Against harshness and intransigence.

But encouraging words still give me a huge smile. And I thank you for yours. laugh

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
"We talk before about sitting quietly listening to each person play just as they would want everyone to sit quietly for them." <-I think this is key - not 5 minutes before it starts, but at least the lesson before with a gentle reminder before the recital starts.

I think most people do not have live theater/music experience and need to be reminded that every child worked hard, that it takes courage to perform and that if they have a young child who needs to run around, to exit and enter during applause.

You can't expect kids (and some parents) to know how to behave if they do not know how to behave.

I'm always learning too - I was at one show that asked if you have a cough to open your cough drop wrappers during intermission (they were recording the performance). Always something new!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bmbutler
I have stayed off this forum for the ugliness that some seem to want to write about someone if someone offers a differing opinion. I don't do community events or, heaven help, Guild events. That is not my focus. My average tenure of my students is 4-6 years. If a student (or usually parents) are so competitive oriented, I tell them nicely that I would not be the teacher for them. We aren't all things to all students.

And BTW, I have the once per year recital. It is held at a nice local church with a/c. And no one would disagree more strongly with me if I said I didn't expect success with everyone whether in my studio or at my church. I happened to even mention it yesterday in my recital's closing remarks and how parents can help having this attitude when a child practices at home.

Gosh, just love generalizations and jumping figuratively on someone because they don't agree with you. You don't know me and I don't know you. Now you can jump on me. But I'm gone. The ugliness is not something that I need or want. We are all just expressing our opinion or what works for us.

Goodness gracious here. What "ugliness"? I see differences of opinions, not personal attacks.

It is clear there are teachers who do not believe in recitals or Guild auditions or anything like that, and there are many teachers who do.

I'm pretty sure that both approaches work with different types of students. As long as you are public about your philosophy about such things, what's the problem?

For me, overall my four musicales and one Guild audition were overall very positive for me. Having said that, if I lived in different parts of the country and had a chance to take lessons from either Mr. Brook or Happy Piano Muse, that would be just fine. Recitals or no recitals is not a game changer for me. Now for parents of younger students, maybe it would be.

But for me, the assertion (which I think is being offered?) that recitals, Guild auditions etc, are universally bad for ALL piano student of any age seems ridiculous.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes, and Mr. Butler also seems to have missed that Mr. Muse was the first to drop condescension bombs, on John.

Last edited by keystring; 06/09/15 12:04 AM.
When teachers apparently lose self-control and retaliate on perceived slights, I think the best thing we can do is to not take sides as to which child threw sand first - but rather give them the space to find their own way back. The discussion should stay on topic I would think.

Personally I would hope that the teachers in this forum would do their best to understand each other's views and varying experiences, rather than seeing something adversarial. And if someone's views are the opposite of your own, it does not mean an attack on you - it means your views are different. You are each in your own private corners, developing your craft continuously on your own. Isn't this a great opportunity to see what your colleagues are doing, and weigh new ideas? I certainly come here to learn as much as I can from all sides.

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
One of the problems of e-communication–-shades of meaning and tone can be hard to read. I don't think offense was really intended on any side here–-but I wouldn't blame people who felt hurt either. It's surprising how cutting words on a screen can be. It can also be hard to anticipate how they will be read.

In my workplace we've decided to err on the side of excessive e-politeness.

1989 Baldwin R
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Sorry, I have to interject my view here. The only poster who I felt set a negative tone on this topic is HPM. Immediately, she assumes that my recitals are probably not fun, gives tips on how to prepare a more attractive program, advises me to "give those kids a break." How are those comments positive? I felt criticized and defensive, one of the reasons I don't post very often anymore.

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
For teachers who haven't been on this forum a long time, we do occasionally have spats. I doubt they're really personal, more likely, we've developed something that works for us, we're really proud of it, and want to share it with others. From 2004 to 2013, I ran our recital program for out teacher's group. We put on 120 recitals, covering a broad spectrum of musical styles. We tried a Baroque only annual recital for a number of years; we tried a "modern" recital. Both had adherents, but were not popular enough to support stand along programs. We tried giving students programs and not giving students programs. Our programs were well done, not cheap cheesy handouts. We also give each participating student a certificate of participation which they can display or save in their portfolio. We tried having students sitting with parents and moving to the stage when their turn was at hand; we tried having students off-stage and entering and exiting from the wings, entering from the wings but then going and sitting with their parents, and also sitting as a group near the stage steps.

Out of the 50 - 60 members of our association, teacher participation ran between 12 and 15 members. We averaged roughly 20 students per recital.

In addition to the above, my Studio hosted one formalish recital per year, and several informal recitals through the year.

If any teacher who does recitals wants to pick my brain about our experiences, feel free to PM me if you don't wish to post on the forum.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
You guys seem to have lost a colleague. I hope that some of the senior teachers are encouraging bmbutler to return - there were indeed some personal comments - if this thread is to be a dialogue rather than preaching to the choir, surely you will want to make ALL your colleagues feel welcome. Maybe a private outreach?

(End of off topic and crawling back into lurking mode).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission