2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2428127 06/02/15 10:40 PM
I
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I
Greetings, all!

Already June 2, and a full moon today, so I thought I'd open the bar with this very popular, if not one of the most popular, pieces of music.

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Glen, that was superb, one of my all time favs, which I never get tired of hearing, played masterfully and with real feeling. Thanks for starting off my day with this masterpiece!

My piece this month is Donna Lee, a fast paced bebop tune composed by Charlie Parker (or maybe Miles Davis), based on the chord changes to Indiana, in 1947. It has some unusual melodic leaps that are notorious for their unfingerability. I am playing at a relatively relaxed tempo, but still have trouble here and there. I am playing the piano, but the bass and drum parts are from a backing track.

Donna Lee

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

I
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I
Thanks, Ed, for the comments on Quasi una Fantasia, and...

Wow, you really get those four note group over the changes. That does not seem like an easy piece to play whatsoever and your tempo seems anything but relaxed. In fact it's quite energetic and your phrasing is excellent, very easy to follow. I don't recall if you mentioned it before, but did you ever play a single note instrument like the sax or trumpet? Your call and response is stellar - really cooks.

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
I've heard you play this before here, Glen. Another full moon I think smile. To my mind this is by far the best I've heard you play it. Very nicely done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are right with the backing track all the way, Ed. Great sound, I'd love to try this. Very good. Thanks for this one.

Greener #2428594 06/04/15 08:12 AM
Glen - Beautiful sound on Moonlight. That piano is just perfect for it. I like to see how low you keep your hands and the economy of movement. It is like a well-oiled machine. I think this is one of the reasons that I dont video myself playing. It is much more like a jalopy with missing wheels and a cracked frame :-)

Ed - Kudos for playing that song! Those lines are so difficult. The thing about playing those long intricate bebop heads is that they have the greatest impact when there are two (or more) instruments playing them at the same time. Then you go, "how are they doing that?". I was hearing a sax player doubling you in my head as you were going and it sounding so cool. I tried once to do the bebop head on "Blues For Alice" with both guitar and piano and then line them up in the mix. Forget it, it was just too complicated. It just really needs to be done live.

You made the trio sound really nice. Great job

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Glen, thanks for listending and for your comments. Re the tempo, I think I was playing at 150, because some of those triplets fall apart for me at faster tempos. I think the typical tempo is over 200. Last month I heard three pianists play this together on three pianos; during the countoff, one of them objected that the tempo was too slow for him, so they upped it. I could hardly believe it! To my surprise, they kept it all together in spite of the tempo and the difficult fingering. Re horn playing, no, I have never played anything but piano and organ, but - - I have certainly listened to a lot of horn players and have transcribed a few.

Greener, thanks.

Ken, I tried to record myself playing a bebop tune along with a recording of a horn - it made for a mushy timbre, like a single instrument that can't make up its mind whether it is a piano or a horn. Yuck. But I agree, I love the sound of two horn players having a go at a fast Clifford Brown tune!

Ed

G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
I was trying to think of something simple to share and thought of a piece I used to enjoy playing occasionally on solemn Sundays. It is a classical medley of sorts and I do not think much of it is consistent with the original works that the elements were extracted from. Nonetheless, I'm attracted by the beauty of its simplicity though it is intended to be tragically sad.

Easy Listening Funeral Mix

This is recital season, so I have to come up with my dreaded annual solo arrangement of something. This year I decided to do On A Clear Day by Lane/Lerner. It is considered a really schmaltzy tune (my wife has been enjoying herself making fun of me). But it is deceptively hard to play and arrange because it flows more like a show tune than a jazz number.

Box.com

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Greener, very nice. I recognized all but the very first part, though I don't recall the original source. Bach?

Ken, I have always liked that song, especially the way it kinda gets in your face with the bold #11s. Well played, nice feeling. Your reharmonizations are really perfect, always surprising and interesting without sounding forced or artificial. Is this stuff you learned from Levine? In any case, well done!

Ed

Riddler #2429280 06/06/15 01:43 PM

Ken, Is this stuff you learned from Levine? In any case, well done!

Ed

Thanks Ed! I don't actually have any of the Levine material. I got hold of a Bill Evans transcription of this song and tried to pull a couple of voicing tidbits from that. More importantly, it included some smart person's analysis of the lines in the transcription. Most of the other reharms are just the tritones and backdoor ii-V things that I've been playing with for a while.

That ending that does a couple of surprise modulations right at the end is from Bill Evans (although it sounds a lot better and more graceful when he does it)

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This is a redo of a piece I practiced quite a while ago but never posted, also a way to check improvement in “touch” dynamics. I can tell there is more fluid dynamics of key touch and hopefully can the listener. As far the how I recorded, it was direct to pc and piano only 1st , the 2nd version has midi bass fret and strings added .

The Sound of Silence 6.5.2015 from Tempo Primo on Vimeo.

Thanks for listening

N
N
This is really nice, thanks for sharing.

Riddler #2429295 06/06/15 02:46 PM
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Riddler
... very nice. I recognized all but the very first part, though I don't recall the original source. Bach?

I always had though Bach, too. However, I think it is Beethoven, and both parts. Thank you.

I
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I
Thank you, Greener and Ken for your kind words on my take on Beethoven. Like every other piece of music, it has a different sound each time it gets played, depending on...

pianoprimo, I've always enjoyed Sound of Silence, and especially Simon and Garfunkel's album, Sounds of Silence. I actually have that album from the mid-sixties...Great work on it and glad you brought it to the piano bar!

Ken, that's a fine arrangement you created of, On a Clear Day You Can See Forever. Barbara Streisand and Robert Goulet come time mind when I think of that tune, but your jazz style and improvisation is not so schmaltzy at all (as your wife thinks...ha!). The voicings you chose are very rich and clear. The key change at 3:30 seals it up very nicely, indeed. Thanks for your music, Ken.

Greener, I very much appreciate your medley of interpretations from classical works. It is very calming and sets a rather upbeat and pensive mood. No question, your intention of making it tragically sad is there, but it's not dark feeling to me. Very well done, Sir!

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
That's great, kenjazz! smile Are you joining the september recital with that one? I didn't know this song, but I always love discovering a new schmaltzy song. Well, I am not sure of the meaning of schmaltzy, but I bet I like them most. laugh Your song sounds great to me. smile

Albunea #2429442 06/07/15 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Albunea
That's great, kenjazz! smile Are you joining the september recital with that one? I didn't know this song, but I always love discovering a new schmaltzy song. Well, I am not sure of the meaning of schmaltzy, but I bet I like them most. laugh Your song sounds great to me. smile

Thank you Albunea! I'm not sure that I can crisply define schmaltzy, but if you watch this video by Robert Goulet, this is pretty much the definition :-)

Robert Goulet sings On A Clear Day

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Inlanding, Moonlight Sonata is always a welcome listen smile Lovely playing.

Riddler, not really my style of music, but I can still marvel over how on earth you get your fingers around that one laugh

Piano Primo, oh I love Sound of Silence smile Thanks for sharing that.

Greener, "Easy Listening Funeral"????? Very odd title laugh But a great listen, very Sunday-ish indeed smile

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
Jytte #2429587 06/07/15 08:52 PM
Greener - This sounded much more upbeat than funeral music to me! It seemed to pick up energy as it was going. Thanks for sharing that.

Piano Primo - Sound of Silence is such a great song. The melody just speaks for itself. The more sparse the arrangement, the more haunting the quality. You captured the feel of the song very well. Nice job!

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Inlanding
Greener, I very much appreciate your medley of interpretations from classical works. It is very calming and sets a rather upbeat and pensive mood. No question, your intention of making it tragically sad is there, but it's not dark feeling to me.

Yes, I was confused at the use of Sheep May Safely Graze, which is about as far from funeral music as you can get. wink

Regards,

Polyphonist
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Well, in my version the Sheep May Safely Graze, but they are in amongst the Tombstones, while they are grazing. How about that? Perhaps, it is a bit of a stretch, then. I always thought of it this way, but sometimes get off the rails. Just wait till you hear my wedding set smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission