2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by toddy
I see. Sorry if I've intruded on this exercise....but I agree with him, with the important additional point that grand pianos are clearer in voicing than uprights, in general. And that better designed and maintained pianos are less opaque than poorly designed and poorly built ones. So DPs are more similar to grand pianos than uprights.

But in general there is a greater density of sound from APs than DPs - difficult to pin down technically, but it is to do with the soundboard and the slower decay times, which I think we all acknowledge, in any case.

Check out a sample library and you'll see that those differences are significantly reduced. Bear in mind that we wouldn't need a leap in technology for DP manufacturers to incorporate something as good as the best library on the market TOMORROW had they the will or incentive.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
If the soundboard makes such a difference, "..to do with the soundboard and the slower decay times," I would assume that the U1TA (TransAcoustic) would get much closer to the real thing -in terms of complexity- since it uses a real soundboard.

Pertaining to the action, the U1TA also uses a damper mechanism (since it is a real acoustic), so that should take care of the subtle key-weight variations not present on any digital piano, including the AvantGrand.

So it seems like the U1TA is at the moment the holy grail of digital pianos. It's also an acoustic, so you'll have to pay for that, too.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I've taught piano since 1998, and around 2000 I began teaching on digitals (Roland, btw). I also encouraged over the years the purchase of digitals for students to learn on as a good alternative to acoustics where budget/space/sound limitations are in place.

There is a point at which a piano student would benefit from upgrading to an acoustic grand piano (generally late intermediate), but there are even ways of accommodating if they cannot. Every student needs to learn how to adjust to the sound and fell of whatever instrument they are performing/competing on, and there are specific ways one can do this to prepare them.

A pianist can make beautiful music on any instrument. I've had to perform on some pretty bad/poorly maintained acoustic pianos, yet I get complemented on my playing. Would it been more pleasurable for me to perform on a well-maintained Steinway? Of course. Would I have been able to do more subtle nuances on a better piano? Possibly. But the point is that the instrument does not make or break the musician.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I've taught piano since 1998, and around 2000 I began teaching on digitals (Roland, btw). I also encouraged over the years the purchase of digitals for students to learn on as a good alternative to acoustics where budget/space/sound limitations are in place.

A pianist can make beautiful music on any instrument. I've had to perform on some pretty bad/poorly maintained acoustic pianos, yet I get complemented on my playing. Would it been more pleasurable for me to perform on a well-maintained Steinway? Of course. Would I have been able to do more subtle nuances on a better piano? Possibly. But the point is that the instrument does not make or break the musician.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Even Darth agrees

[Linked Image]

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-5s, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer
My motto: Play and Let Play!
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

There is a point at which a piano student would benefit from upgrading to an acoustic grand piano (generally late intermediate), but there are even ways of accommodating if they cannot. Every student needs to learn how to adjust to the sound and fell of whatever instrument they are performing/competing on, and there are specific ways one can do this to prepare them.

- the voice of common sense.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Morodiene,
Congratulations, you win the internet today! Great post smile

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NotaBene
Also, Roland has been delisted recently from the Tokyo Stock Exchange : usually when it happens it means the financial assets are too unstable to maintain a consistent stock value... So let's hope the sales keep going up, for it's becoming vital to Roland now it seems.

Hahaha....how little you actually know....

Roland chose to delist....we weren't forcibly delisted.

But since then, we've released almost a product per week into the MI and Pro AV industries. That's not a company in trouble....

That is a company that is better, faster and stronger than it was doing the things it needs to do to not only survive, but vastly increase sales and market share across several categories.

It's a good time to work for Roland.

Jay

Last edited by casinitaly; 06/13/15 05:31 PM. Reason: removed personal remarks

Industry Consultant
N
N
Well thank you Morodiene to successfully conclude this question! So as I understand it the practice makes the musician who makes the instrument and not the other way round. Oh but wait!... What practice?

And thank you Jay Roland for delivering insightful information about the fact that indeed Roland survival was and is at stake in the recent change. First time a public rep of Roland admitting the fact publicly.

As to why Roland was delisted from the TSE, not quite the way you're telling it. See http://www.jpx.co.jp/english/news/detail/detail_1334.html

As it appears, the delisting is a direct consequence of the management buyout caused by colossal financial losses during the preceding period, and it was proceeded so in order to issue cash payment for the seller. In other words, Tokyo Stock Exchange delisted Roland from its securities regulations, because the financial manoeuvre was considered too risky at the time.

So you say things are getting better now, good, but how should we understand it, as a fact or as a business statement?

Originally Posted by dire tonic
Not sure but it's something like C0 Ab0 C1 Db1 E1 Ab1 C2 At least, that's what comes across. I'm not sure what we are trying to demonstrate here. I'm sure chord voicings are cleaner and more harmonically aligned on grand pianos than on poor quality uprights. DPs also cleaner.

Samples, VSTi and so on - there's no rule. They are as clean or dirty as the producers make them. Though I'd think they'd aim for clean unless it's a fruity old saloon piano they are sampling - which of course is a whole sub-genre of sample sets these days.

Musicians like dirt. Where would guitarists be without their big muffs and their dirty little secrets. Curious.

It's tricky because I'm trying to negotiate a path between mixed points of view but for the moment I want to explore bennevis's assertion. If I can paraphrase - and apologies if this is an over-simplification or I've missed the point; digital simulations lack the harmonic richness/complexity of APs. As a consequence, component notes in an AP chord are hard to identify while those of a DP are relatively easy to identify.

I'd like to know if bennevis can, as he seems to claim, correctly identify the notes in the linked sample chord. We know of course that the respective transducers - speaker cone vs strings+sound-board - are reason enough for a significant difference bewtween DPs and APs but I'm not convinced that the harmonics issue isn't being overplayed.

Interesting point. Id like to muddy the waters somewhat by adding "Straight strung" or "overstrung". . . .because there is a difference.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sigh....

Twisting words to suit your agenda...
....I'm done with you. Better things to do with my free time.

Jay

Industry Consultant
N
N
Yeah, serving customers, we know

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by peterws

Interesting point. Id like to muddy the waters somewhat by adding "Straight strung" or "overstrung". . . .because there is a difference.

This is another interesting point - straight or overstrung. And I always take a look under the lid, and don't ever remember coming across a straight, all in line, strung piano. I imagine they'd be even worse in terms of muddy voicings.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

This is another interesting point - straight or overstrung. And I always take a look under the lid, and don't ever remember coming across a straight, all in line, strung piano. I imagine they'd be even worse in terms of muddy voicings.

This came up either here or on some other piano chitter-chatter site recently.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/20...-piano-design-ive-fallen-in-love-with-it

C
Crocus
Unregistered
Crocus
Unregistered
C
Morodiene -- So true. You're bang-on. I remember working on a show one time and I got into the rehearsal hall early one day, before anybody else arrived and took the opportunity to play the baby grand that the musical director played during rehearsals. And I was shocked that the piano was in such bad shape. The touch was awful, keys were chipped, I distinctly remember one key in the neighbourhood of middle C that produced no sound. Couldn't believe the great playing I'd heard in past rehearsals was coming from this keyboard. Paid special attention during the rehearsal that followed, because I still couldn't believe that guy could make it sound good !

I do think that people just beginning to play should do so on a decent instrument just because it would be pretty discouraging if that bad keyboard were all you knew. But the player I described above was able to do it, I guess, because he knew where this piano stood on the good / bad scale and was willing to work around it.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by David Farley

This came up either here or on some other piano chitter-chatter site recently.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/20...-piano-design-ive-fallen-in-love-with-it

The Barenboim piano is rather at the high end of the market, and of course has characteristics designed into it, which are desirable.

When Peter mentioned straight as opposed to overstrung, I was assuming he meant those instruments whose design is so basic that it features in line and therefore much shorter, inferior strings. After all, the idea of overstringing (please correct me if I'm mistaken) is to fit much longer strings into a smaller plain.

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The Barenboim piano is rather at the high end of the market, and of course has characteristics designed into it, which are desirable.

Has it been sampled already? wink

Yamaha P-515
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Good point! It is, as you will know, just a matter of time. I must say, it's an interesting prospect.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Jay Roland
Sigh....

Twisting words to suit your agenda...

You're clueless....I'm done with you. Better things to do with my free time.

Jay

I am with you Jay Roland regarding that stock topic and others connected with with forum member. Clicked on the site he mentioned and there is clearly stated with this is a decision made by Roland shareholders to do so...
And now, someone is just giving his own story lol.

N
N
You probably don't understand what's mentioned on this TSO page, but never mind, the problem has even been exposed here on this forum or at least by someone posting here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjyoN-N3UE

When the business is bad, one way to recover is to raise money on the stock exchange, the other is to delist and go on as a private business to rebuild the finances. Being listed on the stock market requires to be financially healthy in order not to compromise the stock market, so it's the other side of the same coin Roland asking to be delisted and the stock exchange allowing to delist Roland, it simply shows how bad the business was at the time (you can read the press here or here for instance.)

You can also read their financial reports and status on the roland.com page

But none of this has to do at all with the thread, so let's just move on.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by ando
But despite all this, I'm still looking to get a nice digital for quiet night time practice. Kawai and Roland are high on my list of contenders.

@ando,

If you need to keep the key bed "thunking" noise down to a minimum then I would recommend going with either Yamaha or Kawai primarily, as most Roland's can make a lot of noise as the keys bottom out quite hard and the key bed does not have the cushioning of the other brands.

This hard feel is also not so good for your hands & wrists as I have encountered this issue when playing the V-Piano.

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission