Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Hurricane Irma & Our Piano Friends!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Who's Online Now
48 registered members (carolinakeys, ArtlessArt, Adypiano, AZNpiano, Agent88, Andy001, 12 invisible), 1,677 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2428852 - 06/05/15 01:43 AM JBL LSR305 Active Speaker Hiss  
pevo Offline
pevo  Offline

Everyone raves about these speakers, so I picked up a pair. The price is right and they sound great, when there is actual sound coming out. But there is a very noticeable hiss during silence which completely ruins the mood for playing, imo. I know some hiss is normal, but at 4 feet away, its just too loud.

For background, the hiss is always there. Zero volume on the speaker makes it go away, but all other settings have it present with the same amplitude. Interestingly, at volume 2 there is also a odd periodic squeak. Exact same properties persist with *nothing* connected into the audio input. Exact same properties persist with a shorted input (tip tied to ring).

So, I think I'm just super sensitive to the high frequency noise, which is a bummer because these speakers are great otherwise. I'll likely be returning them. Now I have to ask, what should I get instead? I hear the Adam F5's are quiet, I'd go bookshelf with an amp if I had any idea what amp or bookshelves to get...

Anyone know of some good, low noise setups? Its a very small room, 11'x11', so I really don't need much power.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2428913 - 06/05/15 06:22 AM Re: JBL LSR305 Active Speaker Hiss [Re: pevo]  
MacMacMac Offline
5000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
Hiss is NOT normal. That was true 50 years ago. But modern speakers and amps are virtually hiss-free. Is hiss a problem with all JBL LSR305 speakers, or just yours?

#2428948 - 06/05/15 09:58 AM Re: JBL LSR305 Active Speaker Hiss [Re: MacMacMac]  
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

UK
It is something you'll have to accept or live with, or replace them.

I am is assuming that it is not some other issue caused by interference or ground loops, but that is more like a hum sound. Sound cards and other sources can add noise as well so it may not be all in the speaker, but one test to compare would be unplug them from everything accept power them up. A lot of monitors will just emit hiss like that independent of volume, that is a good indicator how bad the hiss is from the monitor alone.

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Hiss is NOT normal. That was true 50 years ago. But modern speakers and amps are virtually hiss-free. Is hiss a problem with all JBL LSR305 speakers, or just yours?

Unfortunately this is not true, this is a very common problem in monitors, Cheap components, good filters are expensive to make. Compromises are made.

I tried a good few of them last year and it is quite common for budget speakers to have an audible amount of hiss coming out of the tweeters.
Some may not notice it so much if the speaker is enough distance away.

If your got poor hearing or been subjected to loud music as many musicians, recording engineers for large parts of their life it will not bother some because their hearing is probably sufficiently damaged and listen to everything loud for many hours a day anyway.

For most I would imagine with average to good hearing it is easily heard.

I don't know exactly about the level of hiss in the JBL range from memory when I head them, from what I recall it was better than some. One of the worst cases I came across were the latest tannoy reveal range, which was a pity since I did like the sound out of them more than most. Presonus Eris do it too, but not so bad again.

Some of the nice quiet ones.

Yamaha range are fine, a bit more pricy.

Rokit KRK RP G3 range are nice and quiet too and in the same price range as JBL, it is what own now ( the 6 inch version ).

To put it in perspective with the worse and best cases I had. With the KRK I need to out my ear near the tweeter to hear any hiss at all, there is tiny bit there, but it is fine for me. I don't even notice it when setup at desktop distance beside my screen, around 1 meter away. With the reveal range it put me off up up to about 2 - 3 meters away.

Best thing try before you buy if you can.

Sound signature can vary quite a bit and will depend on taste.
e.g yamaha very analytical sound, great for mixing but not the type of sound to please the ears for some as such perhaps ... also the 5 inch models in this range really lack bottom end as well, so you'd want at least the 7 or 8 inch versions of these I found to have any hope of pleasing my ears, they did then sound very nice I thought, but of course that is a new price bracket.

Reason I ended up with the KRK given my budget. First of all I was lucky in that I came across an offer where the 6 inchers were sold to me for the price the 5 inch model, it turned out it was mistake by the seller but they let me have it anyway for that price when I asked about it laugh

low noise.
analytical and detailed enough to work with.
rich sound more so than most monitors, good bass response for their size compared to most the other ranges with similarly sized woofers. I noted that G3 quite a bit better than previous G2 in that regard from what I heard.

Overall I see the Rokit as a kind of like a half way house between a nice Hifi speaker and a monitor to sound pleasing as well, but I bought them as much as an all-round speaker as much as anything for use with the PC to listen to music as well. With that in mind for pianos sound they are good, but not on a level as say a similarly priced headphones IMO, but then I don't think any of these monitors are in this price range.

KRK Probably a slight weakness I'd say that higher mids to treble can be a bit on the thinner side and edgy compared to some, but what you do get is all nice and clean.

Overall I ended up a very pleased customer for the budget I had for what I was happy with, but it took a lot of trying out in shops, buying two pairs, returned them etc.

HTH smile

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 06/05/15 10:36 AM.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Casio AP450 & software.
[Linked Image] 11x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
#2428954 - 06/05/15 10:12 AM Re: JBL LSR305 Active Speaker Hiss [Re: pevo]  
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Pennsylvania
I just purchased a pair of JBL LSR305 powered monitors and I do not detect any hiss, at all.

Don

Current: ES8, ProFX8 Mixer, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD598 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, JBL LSR305 Powered Monitors, Pianoteq 5,TruePiano,Ravenscroft275,TrueKeys American,Galaxy Vintage D,Ivory II,Alicia's Keys,CFX Concert Grand, The Grandeur
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2428963 - 06/05/15 10:46 AM Re: JBL LSR305 Active Speaker Hiss [Re: dmd]  
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

UK
Originally Posted by dmd
I just purchased a pair of JBL LSR305 powered monitors and I do not detect any hiss, at all.

May be you got a bit of luck in the silicon draw lottery laugh.

On a more serious note, samples can very a little bit. I even had my tannoy reveal tested out by tannoy I was so much in shock at the level of noise, their answers was, yes it is hiss, but it is within tolerance level of the product, i.e suck it up, accept or return it.

On average, these new JBL ranges do have some hiss as you will find others have testified to this also in tests, but minor and okay for most is the common consensus for this price range. Some are just a lot more sensitive to it seems or more easily annoyed by it ( like me perhaps ). Put your ear right up against the tweeter if need be, they pretty much all do it to some degree. Of course if that is what is needed to get that close to hear it is okay to live with I would say.

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 06/05/15 10:50 AM.

Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Casio AP450 & software.
#2428964 - 06/05/15 10:47 AM Re: JBL LSR305 Active Speaker Hiss [Re: pevo]  
pevo Offline
pevo  Offline

Thanks Alexander, I think I'll just have to try something else.

Not sure what to tell you dmd, I had a pair and they both do exactly the same thing at the same amplitude, so I doubt its s bad unit. Its also nothing like ground loop noise. I suspect that, being high frequency, its just that some people have higher sensitivity at that range. I've done some audio dsp work and know from experience I have more sensitivity than average at the high end.

#2428973 - 06/05/15 11:01 AM Re: JBL LSR305 Active Speaker Hiss [Re: pevo]  
MacMacMac Offline
5000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
Repeat: Hiss is not normal. Yes, it exists in some equipment. But it is NOT normal.

Got hiss? Fix (or get rid of) that equipment.

#2428982 - 06/05/15 11:29 AM Re: JBL LSR305 Active Speaker Hiss [Re: MacMacMac]  
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

UK
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Repeat: Hiss is not normal. Yes, it exists in some equipment. But it is NOT normal.

Got hiss? Fix (or get rid of) that equipment.

With all due respect Macmac.

If if you do the reading behind the subject you will find there are good reasons why it happens. With many monitors there is nothing to fix, it is what you get for your money and within the specified specification due the build in amps, filters used, quality of the components used, so the designers/manufacturers say that it is normal and within tolerance.

One could say, perhaps it is not deemed acceptable by some, like me for example or the OP, so then one has a choice to make, i.e. spend more, look for something else. I think your post is a bit misleading/vague, sorry if that sounds harsh but

Repeat: Hiss is not normal

and what you said previously and just repeating it sounds more like a typical internet rant post, cheer up smile

Casio AP450 & software.
#2429063 - 06/05/15 04:39 PM Re: JBL LSR305 Active Speaker Hiss [Re: pevo]  
joflah Offline
joflah  Offline

St. Louis, MO, USA
There's a possibility that noise is entering by some other path than the normal-mode inputs. If you can still hear hiss at all volume levels on a monitor, with the input shorted (but not connected to anything else - not grounded either), you might want to take the monitor into another room and plug it in alone, to see if the problem persists.
You can get hiss-like sound from RF interference coming out of a computer.

Jack
#2429069 - 06/05/15 05:03 PM Re: JBL LSR305 Active Speaker Hiss [Re: pevo]  
MacMacMac Offline
5000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
Borro: I don't dispute that some equipment produces hissing sound. But this is not normal. As joflah has suggested, the noise can be entering by some other path ... and so the speakers ought not be faulted.

But if the monitors are responsible for the hiss ... then they plainly suck. There's no excuse for poor quality in these days. The noise problems with early semiconductor amplifiers of the 50s, 60s, and 70s are gone. Such noise is no longer normal. It's the result of poor design, which I cannot accept. It's not normal. It's junk.

Example: I use a Yamaha A/V receiver as my amplifier. It's a 2002 model that I bought used in 2009. It's their low-tier model, which retailed new at $200. I feed my computer audio interface through an equalizer and a mixer into this amplifier. I set the amp's volume to the -35 or -40 dB level. There is no hiss.

If I turn the gain up to -20 dB I can detect a faint hiss ... but only if I put my ear right next to a speaker. But at this level: (a) the hiss is faint enough to ignore, and (b) the sound level when playing the piano is uncomfortably and ridiculously loud, and so (c) I would never play with the volume set this high. And all that from the low-price end of their product line.

If I remove the input cables from the receiver, I can turn the gain up to maximum (0 dB). At that level, I hear no hiss (or other noise) at all. So the low-level noise described above must be coming from the mixer ... or more likely, from the equalizer. (If I play the piano at this setting, the loudness is beyond ridiculous ... and the windows rattle. Tried it just to see ... and that's all.)

Noise that you can hear is not normal. It's a sign of poor quality equipment (or some other fault in the system). Don't buy hissy equipment.

#2429208 - 06/06/15 09:00 AM Re: JBL LSR305 Active Speaker Hiss [Re: pevo]  
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

UK
@Joflah Agreed, as said you can do that test and I also suggested early on, this is what I do as well in such test to know which part in the chain causes such issues, rest assured the ones I tested were just as hissy in that case. smile (independent of volume ) The hiss I am discussing to be clear is the type of caused by the monitor only, not some other part in the chain as I said early on.

@MacMacMac, I guess in the end we don't disagree as such that such equipment can be seen as poor, however such equipment does exist an there is plenty of it on the market.

What you define as normal is your own opinion of what you think is normal/acceptable, but the market says otherwise, if I were designer of a speaker system I just would not tolerate it, and you wouldn't, but there seem to plenty buyers that are happy with that level of hiss, use it everyday. That's the key point I wanted to hammer home for any potential buyers. Many reviewers or others on here when asked what is a decent monitor to use rarely point it out, then when they do buy, all of a sudden they are disappointed and only wished they knew about it, now they should if they read this.

What I found is that it is far more common in the entry level to even midrange monitors more expensive to have appreciable hiss rather than not, but then you need to be sensitive to it as well so it may be fine for others that just don't seem to hear it or need to be so close it is a non issue for them. In any case it is not something I would have expected when I started out looking for a pair, but it is the case, considering their cost compared to PC speakers setups that don't do this much cheaper. I was somewhat surprised by it to begin with, but now I am understand a lot more clearly the reasons why it happens, considering everything, design decisions and compromises they make to get something cheap in the monitor range, but that's a whole other story (PC speakers versus monitors versus other setups )

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 06/06/15 09:04 AM.

Casio AP450 & software.
#2676793 - Yesterday at 03:24 PM Re: JBL LSR305 Active Speaker Hiss [Re: pevo]  
ArtlessArt Online content
ArtlessArt  Online Content

Sydney, Australia
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I just bought a pair of JBL LSR305's, both of them have a hiss (with TRS and/or XLR not plugged in). The hiss is barely audible except if you creep within a few inches directly in front of the tweeter. There is no hiss from the LF 5" cone. It bothered me at first, but then I realised my Mackie CR4 has a similar hiss as well, but not as loud.

When playing music, I don't notice it. But when it's silent it bothers me a little. Should I ask for return? I'm in Australia so I'm not sure if the dealer would be willing to a return or exchange.

#2676794 - Yesterday at 03:29 PM Re: JBL LSR305 Active Speaker Hiss [Re: pevo]  
mcoll Offline
mcoll  Offline

Europe
If you only hear it up close, I really wouldn't bother. They're excellent for the price, and if it's a matter of inches I'd say you have a good pair smile
I had a pair that I could hear hissing from 6-7 feet away, over the noise of my not-silent PC. Returned it and got another. I can hear it from 2-3 feet away, even so, quietly, not bothering. I'm pleased enough with them to not be bothered by this. They are well balanced and go very low in response for their size. In the very soft passages when playing piano, or during breaks I can still hear it, but they're really worth their money so I kept them.
And I don't regret it for one bit, even a year later.
If it's very quiet, I believe they're worth keeping wink

#2676813 - Yesterday at 04:34 PM Re: JBL LSR305 Active Speaker Hiss [Re: pevo]  
M.C. van der Kooij Online content
M.C. van der Kooij  Online Content

Stadskanaal, Netherlands
Is this also the case for the JBL LSR308? I'm about to buy the first one and this makes me wonder if it is worth the trouble.

#2676841 - Yesterday at 06:19 PM Re: JBL LSR305 Active Speaker Hiss [Re: mcoll]  

Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by mcoll
If you only hear it up close, I really wouldn't bother. They're excellent for the price, and if it's a matter of inches I'd say you have a good pair smile
I had a pair that I could hear hissing from 6-7 feet away, over the noise of my not-silent PC. Returned it and got another. I can hear it from 2-3 feet away, even so, quietly, not bothering. I'm pleased enough with them to not be bothered by this. They are well balanced and go very low in response for their size. In the very soft passages when playing piano, or during breaks I can still hear it, but they're really worth their money so I kept them.
And I don't regret it for one bit, even a year later.
If it's very quiet, I believe they're worth keeping wink

Did both of the ones you had before have a loud hiss (before you returned it), or was one more evident than the other?

I would think mine are about the same decibel levels as your current ones - barely audible from 2-3 feet away. More evident when I'm within 1 ft directly in front of the tweeter. I would imagine all electronics would have some sort of hiss or hum, e.g. fridge, fan, computers, etc. Will keep mine for a bit and see how it goes.

#2676859 - Yesterday at 07:16 PM Re: JBL LSR305 Active Speaker Hiss [Re: pevo]  
toddy Online content
2000 Post Club Member
toddy  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Portugal
For what it's worth, the last time this subject came up, I tested me piano - a six year old midrange Roland, and my Yamaha HS7 active monitors. The monitors (supposedly small studio quality) are fairly noisy, even with no input cables connected, when at full volume. You can hear white noise from feet away.

The piano also emits a faint hiss, though you have to have your ears very near the speakers to be aware of it, which would never happen as they are under the keyboard.

I take these to be normal and within an acceptable range. But more importantly, I'd never noticed the hiss until I actually tried to find it. So not a problem.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 Ult. / Focusrite Saffire 24
W7, i7 4770, 16GB / Monitors: Yamaha HS7s .

Prudence is a rich ugly old maid courted by Incapacity. He who desires, but acts not, breeds pestilence.
William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven & heck
#2676865 - Yesterday at 07:54 PM Re: JBL LSR305 Active Speaker Hiss [Re: dmd]  
Michael. Offline
Michael.  Offline

Boise, ID
I been using LSR305's for a 1/2 year and never noticed hiss except when I was running from a computer soundcard to the speakers. As soon as I added an audio interface they have been silent.

Instrument: Kawai ES-8 / Pianoteq 5 / M-Audio M-Track 2X2 Audio Interface / JBL LSR305 Monitors
Lessons: Artistworks (Since Feb 2017)
#2676912 - 2 hours ago Re: JBL LSR305 Active Speaker Hiss [Re: pevo]  
mcoll Offline
mcoll  Offline

Europe
Yes, the (very) loud hiss was similar in both, regardless of volume and if an input was connected or not. It was too loud for use. Absolutely unacceptable.
The new pair I bought used from somebody (so definitely different stock) and the hiss is there, but from the normal playing position with the monitors on top of the piano (2-3 ft away) it's barely audible. I hear it, but not enough to bother me, so I kept them. I was thinking that the whole stock from the store might've come from the same batch, and since the store was in another city which involved shipping costs and no possibility to check beforehand, I chose not to exchange them.
Michael, you've got a great pair then.
I have no experience with the LSR308, but I expect similar electronics, therefore probably some pairs are completely quiet, some exhibit a faint hiss and probably there are also pairs which hiss loudly. But I'm just guessing.
ArtlessArt, if the hiss is so quiet, then I would consider keeping them. As toddy pointed out, a lot of monitors have hiss, even more expensive ones, and these have great response for their price and excellent imaging. I don't think you'd have significant gains over these without doubling your budget.

#2676920 - 24 minutes ago Re: JBL LSR305 Active Speaker Hiss [Re: pevo]  

Sydney, Australia
Cheers mcoll, I did some googling. Turns out a lot of people experience this, but only when they place their ear near the tweeter. It appears to be caused by the amplifier. Some people notice it and it annoys them, some don't unless they actively look for it. Regardless, I will be keeping these for now, they are great for Pianoteq.

Michael, if you don't mind - if you place your ear within 1 ft directly in front of the tweeter (with the speakers on but not playing sound), do you detect a faint hiss? Thanks

Moderated by  Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Garritan CFX vs. Soniccouture Hammersmith
by Osho. 09/21/17 10:48 PM
Chords by Ear?
by tinman1943. 09/21/17 09:14 PM
Kawai MP11 Factory default setup parameters
by HaraldC. 09/21/17 08:36 PM
Hamburg Steinway C-227
by trandinhnamanh. 09/21/17 06:28 PM
Tools and books
by BLTOH. 09/21/17 05:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics181,970
Posts2,659,319
Members88,878
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission