2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, danno858, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Here is one of the best recordings I have come across of the original 1913 version of the sonata (without any changes or alterations) by Canadian pianist, Todd Yaniw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziaavNgY7Ow

What really impresses me with this performance is how I never get the feeling the pianist plays for just speed and brilliance in the difficult passages as he lets the music speaks for itself. Many pianists tend to rush these passages which takes a lot away from the details in the score.

The slow movement is imbued with sincere reflection and great depth of expression and he has what it takes to pull off the final movement without pushing things for sheer speed in the playing. No flashy mannerisms or pyrotechnics are displayed which makes it a refreshing performance.

He also follows the original 1913 score, precisely.

Bravissimo!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Pv88,

Thanks for sharing it!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It was a tremendous performance. Thanks!

Paul

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I think Rachmaninov was wrong to change his first version, but was very right in letting it be in print after his second version, I don't like the so called 'Horowitz-version', esp. by mr. H. himself, I prefer the 1913 version and mr. Yaniw does a very good job!

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

That is awesome playing! thumb

Gawd, I just wish I liked the piece better. With every listening (and there have been many over my years), this piece just says less and less to me. Typical with Rachmaninov, it is easy to trace his thematic process (unlike Mahler he didn't intend it to be mysterious), but it so hard to get away from the Emperor's Clothes syndrome.

All the usual complicated Rachmaninov technical tricks are there, but does he really have anything important to say? As Charles Rosen wrote in another context, 'the creation of awe through bombast'.

I know I am the odd man out, I am just not impressed with empty rhetoric.

Jason
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
And of course Jason has to seize every opportunity to repeat the same load of drivel about this piece that Pianoworld has heard over and over and over. This isn't even about the content - it's just the mindless repetition. We get it already. I'd be just as annoyed if I agreed with it (case in point: Louis Podesta, whom I agree with on most everything but still drives me up the wall).

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
I stand by my comment.

You know as well as I do that the Bb minor Sonata is NOT one of Rachmaninov's greater works, and as a composer yourself, I suspect you would understand that.

Jason
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by argerichfan
I stand by my comment.

You may stand by this particular comment, but do you stand by all the identical comments you have made over and over every time this piece comes up? crazy
You know as well as I do that the Bb minor Sonata is NOT one of Rachmaninov's greater works, and as a composer yourself, I suspect you would understand that.

Again, you're missing the point. This is not about the content of the comment at all.

Regards,

Polyphonist
F
F
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
I stand by my comment.

You may stand by this particular comment, but do you stand by all the identical comments you have made over and over every time this piece comes up? crazy

Again, you're missing the point. This is not about the content of the comment at all.

I, for one, had never heard him say anything about this work yet. It was very interesting and I share his sentiment.

Maybe you just spend too much of your time here.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Francisco Scalco
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
I stand by my comment.

I, for one, had never heard him say anything about this work yet.

Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. He's repeated the same rhetoric about this piece every time it comes up.

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
That is awesome playing! thumb

Gawd, I just wish I liked the piece better. With every listening (and there have been many over my years), this piece just says less and less to me. Typical with Rachmaninov, it is easy to trace his thematic process (unlike Mahler he didn't intend it to be mysterious), but it so hard to get away from the Emperor's Clothes syndrome.

All the usual complicated Rachmaninov technical tricks are there, but does he really have anything important to say? As Charles Rosen wrote in another context, 'the creation of awe through bombast'.

I know I am the odd man out, I am just not impressed with empty rhetoric.

Glad to hear you like the performance although I happen to hear a lot more going on in the score beyond it being a merely flashy or empty show piece. There appears to be plenty of heartfelt Russian feeling and sorrow, especially in the 1st and 2nd movements. Yes, the 3rd movement is more virtuosic but still has an underlying tone of sadness throughout (in the 2nd theme) although everything is victorious and triumphant in the end.

The emotional impact for the listener can be quite significant in the 1913 version of the score.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I heard Todd perform this piece live, and it was really an incredible experience. Good to see him getting more recognition.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Francisco Scalco
It was very interesting [re Rachmaninov Op 36] and I share his sentiment.

Just ran across your post. No, not everyone thinks it a profound masterpiece. Even the composer had his doubts, and I am inclined to agree that the 1931 revision is about the best case to be made for a work which seems awfully consumed with virtuosity for its own sake.

Maybe you [Polyphonist] just spend too much of your time here.

That has been commented on before. Just ignore him.

Jason

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission