Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
83 registered members (bsntn99, cmb13, Chernobieff Piano, anotherscott, Bruce In Philly, Beowulf, Blues beater, 18 invisible), 1,541 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sound card not working #2425889
05/28/15 04:08 AM
05/28/15 04:08 AM
Johannesburg South Africak
J
Jack Gately Offline OP
Jack Gately  Offline OP
J

Please help,my computer crashed and because I have Cakewalk pro audio 9 which is very old and will only work with windows XP,I bought a refurbished computer which came with XP and it also had a Creative soundcard fitted in addition to the onboard soundcard.i have hooked my Casio CDP220 up to the onboard card and it works but when I connect to the Creative card there is no sound.Am I doing something wrong and is there anyway to do an on board test to see if the Creative card is ok.Thanks

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Sound card not working [Re: Jack Gately] #2425909
05/28/15 05:41 AM
05/28/15 05:41 AM
Eindhoven, Netherlands
Cue Zephyr Offline
Cue Zephyr  Offline

Eindhoven, Netherlands
Can you find the Creative card within Device Manager?

Maybe you have to enable direct monitoring of sorts, I don't know what they call it, but you enable it in your Windows mixer (volume control, not sure of its name), in the input view (there's both input and output views in the Windows mixer).

Casio Privia Pro PX-5S, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Steinberg UR22, KRK RP6 G2, JBL LSR305
Guitar, mandolin and banjo player, hobbyist producer.
on YouTube
Re: Sound card not working [Re: Jack Gately] #2425925
05/28/15 07:12 AM
05/28/15 07:12 AM
ElmerJFudd Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ElmerJFudd  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi, Jack.

Before messing about with Cakewalk, make sure the card is generally working. Test audio output from it with Windows Explorer and YouTube or something. And check audio input from the card using Windows Sound Recorder (should be in the all programs/entertainment folder).

If that is all working properly. You can install ASIO4ALL which will provide you with low latency ASIO drivers. Then in Cakewalk you'll need to go to Edit > Preferences > Audio - Playback and Recording (Options > Audio > Advanced in legacy products) and change the Driver mode to "ASIO" and setup Cakewalk 9 to use ASIO4ALL for it's audio driver. You should be able to monitor and record from the card when running Cakewalk.

Hope that helps.

Re: Sound card not working [Re: Jack Gately] #2425934
05/28/15 07:32 AM
05/28/15 07:32 AM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

UK
As above, If it was wiped before sold perhaps the seller jut did a clean install at one point, XP probably does not have a driver for it and you need to download and install it.

Unlikely this will be the case, If you cannot see it at all under windows you may need to go into the BIOS too to see if it is disabled there, usually somewhere they were will be a setting to select, auto, or a card of your choice like the PCI one, or onboard only. if that is the case I'd be getting suspicious though of what I bought.

Depending how old it is don't assume the creative will necessarily be better for use with ASIO4All or sound quality, they sold some awful products back in the early XP days back I recall, I had one once, so see how it goes.

I recall one machine I build many moons ago I got rid of the creative card since the realtek onboard was more stable for normal use and just as good, I didn't use it for music/piano back than though but I do recall the problems it gave since the drivers were so poor as well, and the sound quality output was no better.

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 05/28/15 07:32 AM.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater 1000s of deals on Gear
Re: Sound card not working [Re: Jack Gately] #2426323
05/29/15 04:47 AM
05/29/15 04:47 AM
J
Jack Gately Offline OP
Jack Gately  Offline OP
J

Thanks for all the inputs.Re the quality of the sound card I have emailed Creative with the serial number to find out the age because as you say the onboard card might give as good or better sound. Other problem is the friend who tried to sort out the problem removed the card as he said it might be causing some kind of conflict so I will somehow try to put the card back and follow the advice you gave depending on the reply from Creative.

Re: Sound card not working [Re: Jack Gately] #2426328
05/29/15 05:10 AM
05/29/15 05:10 AM
Czech Republic
P
PtJaa Offline
PtJaa  Offline
P

Czech Republic
What model is the Creative sound card?
If it's one of the cards on this list, you can install the free (ASIO) kX driver. That's what I use. I have an Creative Audigy card, and I have the kX driver installed. The card is not visible in Windows, but every app that utilises ASIO, like piano applications, can output sound through the card. I'm absolutely happy with both the sound quality and latency, IMHO it's a great card.

Kawai CA65 :: Galaxy: Vintage D, Vienna Grand, Giant :: Pianoteq 5 :: Kontakt 5 :: Reaper :: True Keys pianos
Re: Sound card not working [Re: Jack Gately] #2426358
05/29/15 07:18 AM
05/29/15 07:18 AM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

UK
Originally Posted by Jack Gately
Thanks for all the inputs.Re the quality of the sound card I have emailed Creative with the serial number to find out the age because as you say the onboard card might give as good or better sound. Other problem is the friend who tried to sort out the problem removed the card as he said it might be causing some kind of conflict so I will somehow try to put the card back and follow the advice you gave depending on the reply from Creative.

@PtJaa, the audigy models were quite good as far as I recall, not implying they are all bad, just the I had experience with one range, it was not from the Audigy range I do know that, it was one of the cheapest ones, but I do not recall the exact one smile

Jack that conflict at a guess he may well be referring to an IRQ sharing issue. These days motherboards don't tend give issues with that, I need to cast my mind back to older PCs in the XP days, back then I have come across cases when a resource is shared and both are used heavily may result in instabilities, lockups etc.

It gets a bit involved but a quick google from a sound perspective what I am getting at can be found here. Often simply using another PCI slot will resolve that.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul04/articles/qa0704-1.htm

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 05/29/15 07:22 AM.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Re: Sound card not working [Re: Jack Gately] #2427083
05/31/15 04:04 AM
05/31/15 04:04 AM
J
Jack Gately Offline OP
Jack Gately  Offline OP
J

Oh boy I am now getting in over my head and cant quite understand what you guys are telling me! First of all my computer frequently freezes and I thought this was an unrelated problem but the guy who removed the soundcard at some stage went into the BIOS screen to change something, I dont know what! and said it would not change so this might be related to what you are all telling me.One thing I forget to mention and again I cannot explain clearly is that when the card was installed and the piano was connected to the computer it would record through the creative card but would only play back through the Realtek card and to me it had a better sound which made me think the card was working and the problem lay somewhere else.Main problem in South africa is that the guys I talk to about fixing the problem are computer geeks and not musicians,which makes it a bit difficult. The serial no for the card is SB07300 and hopefully Creative will come back to me about its capability and maybe if I put the card back you guys can maybe talk me through it from the beginning again.

Re: Sound card not working [Re: Jack Gately] #2427131
05/31/15 08:48 AM
05/31/15 08:48 AM
ElmerJFudd Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ElmerJFudd  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'd pull the creative card and forget about it. Use, the realtek with ASIO4ALL.

Re: Sound card not working [Re: Jack Gately] #2427487
05/31/15 11:26 PM
05/31/15 11:26 PM
Czech Republic
P
PtJaa Offline
PtJaa  Offline
P

Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Jack Gately
The serial no for the card is SB07300...
By a quick search on Google it's a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer 7.1.
Please forget my previous post, this card isn't compatible with the kX driver.
Pulling the card and going with the realtek/ASIO4All sounds like a very reasonable advice.

Kawai CA65 :: Galaxy: Vintage D, Vienna Grand, Giant :: Pianoteq 5 :: Kontakt 5 :: Reaper :: True Keys pianos
Re: Sound card not working [Re: PtJaa] #2427793
06/02/15 03:05 AM
06/02/15 03:05 AM
J
Jack Gately Offline OP
Jack Gately  Offline OP
J

Thanks guys for all the inputs. I am going with what you say and will forget about the soundblaster card and stay with the on board card.

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Of speakers and watts
by mydp. 11/13/18 05:35 PM
altered chords and chord progressions
by Jitin. 11/13/18 12:26 PM
Ornette Coleman's "Lonely Woman"
by KenBakerMN. 11/13/18 08:54 AM
Crackling noise when recording digital piano
by Tommm777. 11/13/18 01:01 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,318
Posts2,760,801
Members91,484
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission