2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
59 members (Carey, Charles Cohen, AWilley, Bruce In Philly, anotherscott, accordeur, barneyh, 13 invisible), 445 guests, and 486 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: MP11 dead on arrival
ando #2427235 05/31/15 01:12 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by ando

I agree, Kawai is a leader in the innovation stakes. I guess as long as their service backup continues to be excellent, people will forgive the problems that come up.

I had no idea of any QC issues with any DP brand until I came upon PW (just after I bought my DP). Probably naïvely, I just assumed that whatever I bought would be reliable, as reliable as all the other electronic stuff I had then (hi-fi separates, TV, DVD and video recorder, cassette-tape Walkman, SLR film cameras - I had no computer then) - which had been working with no problems for well over a decade; in the case of my Canon cameras and lenses, over two decades of hard and regular use. None of them had ever let me down.

I didn't buy a Kawai, but the stuff I've been reading here would have totally put me off buying one: my tiny apartment is four floors up a narrow staircase, and there is no lift (elevator). Anything big I buy would have to stay put. People here have done minor 'repairs' on their DPs to avoid hassle, even when still under guarantee; I had, and still have, absolutely no idea how I'd go about doing diagnostic tests and repairs on my DP.

When I was unable to put in the upgrades into my DP, and instead nearly fried the electronics in my botched attempts, Roland sent their own van and two strong drivers to collect my DP to take back to their HQ for repairs and to install the upgrades - the same people who delivered it several months previously. They knew the score, but I still had to pack the 84 lb slab myself back into its box for them to carry it downstairs from my apartment (and then unpack and put it back on its stand when I got it back).

Over five years on, and now out of warranty, I've never had to repeat the ordeal. It's not something I would ever care to repeat.......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
(ad)
Sweetwater Sale
Sweetwater Sale
bennevis #2427259 05/31/15 01:53 PM
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
I had no idea of any QC issues with any DP brand until I came upon PW ...I didn't buy a Kawai, but the stuff I've been reading here would have totally put me off buying one... People here have done minor 'repairs' on their DPs to avoid hassle, even when still under guarantee...

No doubt, some of the stuff you read here definitely scares folks - which is understandable since the experiences being shared are presumably all based on facts. That's why it's helpful sometimes to maintain some perspective.

Notwithstanding my own minor repair to my MP7, frankly I've spent a whole lot more time working under the hood of our Boston grand piano (with tuning, etc). And my brother devoted many months to tweaking his harpsichord, after he built it.

I suspect that tweaking one's musical gear is a long-established tradition that dates back to Bach's time... even after he had "well-tempered" those scales of ours. smile

- One Watt

OneWatt #2427264 05/31/15 02:04 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by OneWatt
frankly I've spent a whole lot more time working under the hood of our Boston grand piano (with tuning, etc). And my brother devoted many months to tweaking his harpsichord, after he built it.

I suspect that tweaking one's musical gear is a long-established tradition that dates back to Bach's time... even after he had "well-tempered" those scales of ours. smile

I have no problems 'tweaking' mechanical contraptions - a few decades ago, when I was working at a place which had an ancient, clapped-out grand in its common room, I bought a tuning fork and tuning wrench, and set to work on it: removing the broken strings, tuning it, adjusting the actions. All without recourse to any help from a book, or advice from any tech (obviously, the internet was still decades from being invented).......

I even discovered that by tuning it to B flat = 440 (instead of A), it kept its tuning much longer. I 'celebrated' by playing Liszt's Liebestraum No.3 on it, once it was sufficiently in tune thumb.

But anything with microchips is totally out of my league......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
bennevis #2427282 05/31/15 02:35 PM
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
It is out of anyone's league, simply because you cant touch it anymore.
Even the few experts, who would know the architectures of those customized microchips and be able to reverse engineer the software, would carefully check, if it would be worth the effort.

On the other hand, we all have payed for for a working product ...

bennevis #2427289 05/31/15 02:42 PM
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
... I 'celebrated' by playing Liszt's Liebestraum No.3 on it, once it was sufficiently in tune thumb.

But anything with microchips is totally out of my league......

Hats off to you, sir! While I'm comfortable tuning the piano, opening up electronics, and even building hand-crafted instruments, I'm afraid Liszt's Liebestraum No.3 is currently out of MY league. wink

newbert #2427467 05/31/15 09:13 PM
I
I
Originally Posted by newbert
... Based upon people's experience with Kawai, if a unit is going to fail is it usually a case of DOA? Or do units fail often enough later on so that purchasing an extended warranty would be advisable? ...

I think that's my point. We shouldn't worry whether our product to be delivered is going to have some issue; it just kills the joy of spending. What we bought should come to us in tip-top condition.

I recently bought 3 new Dell 24" monitors. I was thinking that the chance of getting one with a dead or super-bright pixel might be on the high-side; since I'm getting 3 monitors. Guess how many of such pixels were found? None.

There really shouldn't be any excuse; like the product was man-handled during delivery. My Dell monitors were packed so meticulously that I was perspiring so much while trying to get them out. 90% of my effort in setting them up is spent in getting the monitors out of the boxes.

To me, just like power is nothing without control, innovation is nothing without reliability.

ando #2427521 06/01/15 03:38 AM
J
J
[/quote] I'm still tempted by the MP7, despite what I've said. It's between the RD800 and the MP7 for me. Actually, I'd like to have the MP11 but I'm really bummed that it's missing all the voices that the MP7 has.[/quote]

Ando, For me, the choice was between a Roland RD800, and Yamaha CP4 and a Kawai MP7. There were aspects of each of them that I really liked. The Roland was the most expensive, and the MP7 was the cheapest, and yet the MP7 can do just about everything the RD800 can do, and more. The Yamaha CP4 was the lightest to carry, but the already good Yamaha piano sounds just really didn't seem to have been improved upon from previous models. I have a friend who loves his CP4, but the keys have become rather uneven when you look along the top of them.

I was like you initially, favouring the MP11, but it is heavy (32kgs) and as you have realised, does not have all the extra sounds that are on the MP7. The Kawai product manager in Sydney could not guarantee a perfect keyboard, but he did say that Kawai is committed to customer service. I have found that to be the case, however, as you can tell from reading the PW forums, there are many Kawai owners who have experienced problems, which can be rather disconcerting, but Kawai's strong customer service helps make up for that. A few months ago I helped a friend by a Casio PX5-S. I've got to say that I was very impressed with it's all-round capabilities, and how light it is, and great price. Despite a few niggly issues with my MP7, the more I play it, the more I really like it, and I have the peace of mind of good backup and a 5 year warranty. Again I say, I wish you well in your choice.

1993 Roland JV1000 76 note workstation synth with Pop and VE-GS1 expansion boards ] 1994 Roland JV1080 Multi-timbral sound module ] 1994 Roland KR4500 Intelligent Piano ] 2008 Korg MicroX sound module ] 2015 Kawai MP7 Digital Stage Piano
Just Alan #2427549 06/01/15 07:36 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Just Alan
[/quote] I'm still tempted by the MP7, despite what I've said. It's between the RD800 and the MP7 for me. Actually, I'd like to have the MP11 but I'm really bummed that it's missing all the voices that the MP7 has.

Ando, For me, the choice was between a Roland RD800, and Yamaha CP4 and a Kawai MP7. There were aspects of each of them that I really liked. The Roland was the most expensive, and the MP7 was the cheapest, and yet the MP7 can do just about everything the RD800 can do, and more. The Yamaha CP4 was the lightest to carry, but the already good Yamaha piano sounds just really didn't seem to have been improved upon from previous models. I have a friend who loves his CP4, but the keys have become rather uneven when you look along the top of them.

I was like you initially, favouring the MP11, but it is heavy (32kgs) and as you have realised, does not have all the extra sounds that are on the MP7. The Kawai product manager in Sydney could not guarantee a perfect keyboard, but he did say that Kawai is committed to customer service. I have found that to be the case, however, as you can tell from reading the PW forums, there are many Kawai owners who have experienced problems, which can be rather disconcerting, but Kawai's strong customer service helps make up for that. A few months ago I helped a friend by a Casio PX5-S. I've got to say that I was very impressed with it's all-round capabilities, and how light it is, and great price. Despite a few niggly issues with my MP7, the more I play it, the more I really like it, and I have the peace of mind of good backup and a 5 year warranty. Again I say, I wish you well in your choice. [/quote]

Thanks Alan, and good to get your thoughts. I think I need to go play them again and think about what I value most in a DP. I do sometimes get sidetracked about having features that I don't end up even using. Narrowing it down to 2 models makes it not too much of a decision. Hopefully the winner will clearly emerge next time I play them. Luckily there's a shop near me that carries them both. Cheers.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP under 3000 euros
by Pullman12 - 11/24/20 03:21 PM
Recording device - Recommendations
by Kinimod - 11/24/20 02:52 PM
Your opinions on my digital mixer setup
by Abdol - 11/24/20 02:37 PM
Thumb under for bluesy tunes
by AntonAnton - 11/24/20 12:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,023
Posts3,026,772
Members99,361
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission