Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
Welcome PianoTV members!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
67 registered members (augustm, ando, alphonsus, AZNpiano, AndyP, 19 invisible), 1,033 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 30 of 31 1 2 28 29 30 31
#2663060 - 07/21/17 01:30 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Johan B  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
21 July 2017

Oh dear......was not here for nearly a month......have been very busy but every day was a pianoday......

This week lurking around in the works of Edward Elgar.....perhaps a little bit strange for me, mostly playing baroque.....

What did you play today?

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'
https://m.youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2670254 - 08/24/17 12:44 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Johan B  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

24 august 2017

Yesterday I played it in church during my weekly playing for visitors....the Suites of Clerambault...very nice music of the baroque period.

Today I played one piece at my Kawai CA95....right hand organ flutes and on the leftside the solo in harpsichord modus.....perhaps a little too fast....

Basse de cromhorne, L.N.Clerambault

What did you play today?

Best regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 08/24/17 12:56 PM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
#2691989 - 11/25/17 04:54 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Johan B  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

25 november 2017

Hi there,

I have not been heer for some months, too busy......however I'am partly retired and only working two days a week grin

Still playing my piano every day. Nowadays Buxtehude is my favorite composer. The keyboardsuites, very nice baroque music.

What did you play today?

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
#2692019 - 11/25/17 08:47 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline
Silver Level

Florida
Working on Mendelssohn Consolation in E maj....
and....Milongo del Angel by by Piazzolla.

Both are a little above my level. I keep promising myself to take it down a notch. Especially after The Girl With The Flaxen Hair proved to be so difficult. Can't tame a blonde. Lol

Boston 118 PE
YouTube Channel
Currently Working On
Debussy Prelude VIIII (La fille aux cheveux de lin)
Mendelssohn Consolation in E maj
Milonga Del Angel
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2692041 - 11/25/17 11:02 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
Bach_ingMaddie Offline
Bach_ingMaddie  Offline

Sydney NSW Australia
Originally Posted by Johan B
25 november 2017

Hi there,

I have not been heer for some months, too busy......however I'am partly retired and only working two days a week grin
H
Still playing my piano every day. Nowadays Buxtehude is my favorite composer. The keyboardsuites, very nice baroque music.

What did you play today?

Best regards,
Johan B

Ooh I never thought to look for music by Buxtehude. Thanks. I am still faltering my way through the first page of Bach Small Prelude BWV 935 at a VERY SLOW speed :), still brushing up Schumann's humming song, Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring and various easy arrangements of Christmas Carols and songs. Struggling with chord theory and Hanon's 2nd exercise but regularity and persistence is the key, the 89th and probably the most important key of all wink

"Study Bach: there you will find everything" - Johannes Brahms.
#2692042 - 11/25/17 11:07 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
Bach_ingMaddie Offline
Bach_ingMaddie  Offline

Sydney NSW Australia
25 november 2017

Hi there,

What did you play today?

Best regards,
Johan B

Johan, about what grade level is the Buxtehude keyboard suites please? I am about grade 3 to 4 in general terms but do not have the exams or the theory behind me, I am working on theory. Maybe it is because I find the theory of chords and all the words/terms inversions and suchlike that I prefer playing polyphonic single-note music of the Baroque period such as the piece I am currently working on. Have always loved Bach.

#2692072 - 11/26/17 05:48 AM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
WiseBuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member
WiseBuff  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Brighton Colorado
So much music and can't seem to learn fast enough. BUT today, as everyday, I worked scales and chords from level 7 RCM. I sight read from both Celebrate Handel and Celebrate Scarlotti. I am taking the Prelude course on EdX that was mentioned in another thread and getting the Bach Prelude up to tempo. CMB13 mentioned "Girl with the flaxen hair"...that is the last prelude in that course. My teacher has already said it's too difficult for me but, at least I'll learn what the piece is.

Learning the Clementi sonatina 36 no 3 working in chunks and finding that's a good way to approach it. Watched a practice video yesterday that suggested working each chunk for a few minutes, moving to another chunk, and then another, and then repeating the process will increase the brain connection to the music pattern.

And of course it's time for Christmas music so did a fair amount of reading through the easier versions of my favorites. Christmas Angels arranged by Jennifer Linn is this year's solo piece. I doubt I'll make tempo at 100% but it's coming together for piano party in December. We also plan to accompany the group with at least one Christmas favorite. MUST get O Come o come Emmanuel up to tempo.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
#2692089 - 11/26/17 10:40 AM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: WiseBuff]  
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Johan B  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by WiseBuff
So much music and can't seem to learn fast enough. BUT today, as everyday, I worked scales and chords from level 7 RCM. I sight read from both Celebrate Handel and Celebrate Scarlotti. I am taking the Prelude course on EdX that was mentioned in another thread and getting the Bach Prelude up to tempo. CMB13 mentioned "Girl with the flaxen hair"...that is the last prelude in that course. My teacher has already said it's too difficult for me but, at least I'll learn what the piece is.

Learning the Clementi sonatina 36 no 3 working in chunks and finding that's a good way to approach it. Watched a practice video yesterday that suggested working each chunk for a few minutes, moving to another chunk, and then another, and then repeating the process will increase the brain connection to the music pattern.

And of course it's time for Christmas music so did a fair amount of reading through the easier versions of my favorites. Christmas Angels arranged by Jennifer Linn is this year's solo piece. I doubt I'll make tempo at 100% but it's coming together for piano party in December. We also plan to accompany the group with at least one Christmas favorite. MUST get O Come o come Emmanuel up to tempo.

hi Wisebuff,

You talk about Händel.......do you know his Keyboard Suites? Very nice and not too difficult to play......

Händel, Keyboard suites

A famous Dutch pianist Daria van den Berken did a nice job by playing these suites. Just google.....

Kind regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 11/26/17 10:41 AM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
#2692093 - 11/26/17 11:01 AM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Johan B  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

26 november 2017

Today I heard something of Brahms in a classical radiostation. So I decided to take a Brahms-book from my music library......omg...what kind of hands this man had.....I can not play it by my small hands (thumb-pink 7,87 inch)....so max eight notes....

Played some facilitated versions of the Walzer opus 39.....and as I write this ..... I spill a drop of red wine on the pages of this book ... ...arghhh....sunday afternoon.......cheers....

Best regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 11/26/17 11:26 AM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
#2692160 - 11/26/17 05:45 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
Bach_ingMaddie Offline
Bach_ingMaddie  Offline

Sydney NSW Australia
26 november 2017

Today I heard something of Brahms in a classical radiostation. So I decided to take a Brahms-book from my music library......omg...what kind of hands this man had.....I can not play it by my small hands (thumb-pink 7,87 inch)....so max eight notes....

Played some facilitated versions of the Walzer opus 39.....and as I write this ..... I spill a drop of red wine on the pages of this book ... ...arghhh....sunday afternoon.......cheers....

Best regards,
Johan B

Don't drink and strive lol smile

#2693554 - 12/01/17 07:18 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Johan B  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

1 december 2017

Today played a lot of Haydn pianosonatas for three hours....... lurk around, there's enough....
Haydn, 34 sonatas

It's fun to play the works of 'papa' Haydn.....

What did you play today?

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
#2693577 - 12/01/17 08:57 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
carolinakeys Offline
carolinakeys  Offline

Union SC
Ode to Joy. Not that hard I know but it’s my first Beethoven piece.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently Unit 3
Alfred Adult Piano 1-ebook version
#2693581 - 12/01/17 09:10 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
curlyfries Offline
curlyfries  Offline

I am playing the Nutcracker Suite-as I do every Nov and December. It is about completely polished-Waltz of the Flowers. I do not celebrate Christmas so it is funny that I also am playing jazzy Christmas arrangements and Praise Solos for Christmas. I am revisiting scales in thirds and fingerings for those scales in the Hanon book. Shrug.

#2693597 - 12/01/17 10:44 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
thepianoplayer416 Offline
thepianoplayer416  Offline

Toronto, Canada
Being part of a music group we had a pre-Christmas performance a few nights ago. Got busy practicing some orchestra pieces. Otherwise getting ready for a church service after Christmas so today got out "Go Tell it on the Mountain" and repeated it 3x (the same as the # verses). Played a Bach Minuet yesterday & started practicing a movement out of a Beethoven sonata yesterday but today didn't feel like doing anything technical like Bach or Beethoven.

#2693727 - 12/02/17 03:24 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
thepianoplayer416 Offline
thepianoplayer416  Offline

Toronto, Canada
While the holidays is over 2 weeks away, starting practicing some seasonal tunes early to avoid last minute rush. 2 years ago several people in our music group played this piece with a church choir. Found the music uplifting with a bit of syncopation so decided to post my version online.

#2693732 - 12/02/17 03:43 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: thepianoplayer416]  
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Johan B  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
While the holidays is over 2 weeks away, starting practicing some seasonal tunes early to avoid last minute rush. 2 years ago several people in our music group played this piece with a church choir. Found the music uplifting with a bit of syncopation so decided to post my version online.

Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416

Well done, pianoplayer416👍🏻👍🏻
Kind regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
#2693734 - 12/02/17 03:48 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Johan B  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

2 december 2017

After some Sonatas of Haydn back to the baroque........playing Keyboard Suites of Dietrich Buxtehude....

What did you play today?

Best regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 12/02/17 03:49 PM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
#2693847 - 12/03/17 03:46 AM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Johan B  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

3 december 2017

Reading a newsletter about classical music I saw another interesting baroque / roccoco composer Joseph Bodin de Boismortier, frenchman 1689-1755. Looked it up at imslp.org. He made these four suites for clavecin.
Boismortier, Quatre suites
3hearts 3hearts

By the way........imslp.org.....very nice site to find sheetmusic!

What did you play today?

Best regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 12/03/17 03:48 AM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
#2693992 - 12/03/17 02:00 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
curlyfries Offline
curlyfries  Offline

The hymn, Who is He in Yonder Stall?..The title makes me laugh because I think of talking animals. Maybe I will play it from Alfred's Grand Carols of Christmas book.

#2694275 - 12/04/17 04:56 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Johan B  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

4 december 2017

A day off....no work today....so much time to play....

Played a lot of the composers from the period of classicism: Haydn, Hummel, Kuhlau, Diabelli, Reinecke.....sonatas, sonatines, rondi etc....mmmmmmm

Tomorrow work again, my wife will be glad when I'm not at home.... grin grin

What did you play today?

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
#2700483 - 12/29/17 05:31 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Johan B  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

29 december 2017

Hi there,

Today I played some music of Friedrich Wilhelm Zachow, one of the teachers of Händel. Curious if there was more, I did some research at imslp.org. And look what I found, a beautiful suite. Especially the the Corente and Sarabande are very fine......real baroque

Zachow, Suite B-minor 3hearts

My day was fine again........

What did you play today?

Best regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 12/29/17 05:32 PM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
#2700605 - 12/30/17 09:13 AM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
Bach_ingMaddie Offline
Bach_ingMaddie  Offline

Sydney NSW Australia
It looks easy-ish to start with, then...
You must be a fairly advanced "beginner"?
I'd like to hear it.
I played my usual scales, chords, Hanon then turned once more to my challenge piece, after all the easier carols I've been enjoying, Bach small prelude BWV 935 and tried some different and somwhat unconventional fingering around those two bars I just cannot get down. Have another look at that tomorrow. Then Auld Lang Syne, hoping to record and send it to my sisters in England.

#2700624 - 12/30/17 10:21 AM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Johan B  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Start with the second part to get the right modus, you will feel the baroque style

JB

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
#2700625 - 12/30/17 10:22 AM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Johan B  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Start with the second part to get the right modus, you will feel the baroque style

JB

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
#2702333 - 01/05/18 10:20 AM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Johan B  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

5 january 2018

Today and some days before I continued my travel through Baroque......played a lot of the suites from the master Johann Sebas... 3hearts

For baroque lovers: Go for the English Suites of J.S.Bach
Bach; English Suites
of course also available for free at imslp.org

Another nice book, much baroque but also Schumann, Glinka:
Introduction to Polyphonic Playing
Level easy and intermediate.

What did you play today?

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
#2702498 - 01/05/18 08:56 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
Ralphiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ralphiano  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Nothing! I was stuck all day on a slow moving, late starting Amtrak train. mad Maybe I'll sneak some piano time before going to bed. smile

Ralph

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage
Pianist since April, 2015
#2702500 - 01/05/18 09:08 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
curlyfries Offline
curlyfries  Offline

It is not a tip but I played a few times today the following: I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues by Elton John. I don't know
why. The book was opened to it.

#2702504 - 01/05/18 09:18 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
curlyfries Offline
curlyfries  Offline

And I also played Philadelphia Freedom. Just those two songs.

#2702573 - 01/06/18 05:47 AM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]  
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
1000 Post Club Member
RaggedKeyPresser  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Orig. land of Svear&Götar
I've been working on "Fools Rush In" lately.
The tune in RH, and 4-note chordal workouts in the LH.
Sometimes a new chord for each beat, such as | II | V IV III bIIIx | II##7 II#7 | II etc.
Learning to "think" in each key.
Very chromatic stuff.

Czerny's Piano School Vol. 1. Reviewing basics/ear training/analysis in interesting exercises.
Opus 599. Now at #77 and giving it a break.
#2702589 - 01/06/18 09:12 AM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: RaggedKeyPresser]  
curlyfries Offline
curlyfries  Offline

Originally Posted by RaggedKeyPresser
I've been working on "Fools Rush In" lately.

Who is the composer of this tune?

Page 30 of 31 1 2 28 29 30 31

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
CLEARANCE SPECIALS!
Save Big In our online store now

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
SummerKeys
Maine Coast Music Vacation for Adults
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
New Topics - Multiple Forums
action and regulation books
by musicbased. 01/16/18 02:05 AM
Buzzes, help !
by Piano Valentine. 01/15/18 09:18 PM
Hi. It’s been awhile. . .
by JeanieA. 01/15/18 08:39 PM
How much piano do I really need
by dcupright. 01/15/18 08:09 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics183,805
Posts2,687,466
Members89,459
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission