Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Ad
Schumann's 4th Finger
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved
Who's Online
125 registered (ajames, alexcawley, 36251, anamnesis, AdrianR, Almaviva, 26 invisible), 1401 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 29 < 1 2 3 4 28 29 >
Topic Options
#2429134 - 06/06/15 12:19 AM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]
Isabelle1949 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Watched/listened to videos of Michelle Candotti. WOW!!! I think she is all of 19. Would love to know how many hours per week she practices? Also, how different her childhood must have been, because one of the videos featured her at 14 or 15. Amazing, but in the youngest video she didn't look too happy after her performance. Kind of sad. Makes me wonder.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2429156 - 06/06/15 03:23 AM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Joplin - Solace
Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata #1 and #3 (very poorly!)
Hymn - How Great Thou Art

#2429164 - 06/06/15 04:12 AM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Orig. land of Svear&Götar
I've been working on pieces from the Young Pianist's Guide to J.S. Bach, arranged by Ylda Novik.
Hoping to graduate well within two years of study. Now at #72 of Opus 599 and behind schedule.

#2429286 - 06/06/15 01:54 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
6 juni

Started this morning with
Schumann, Waldszenen
Borodin, Intermezzo
Dvorak, two mazurkas
Telemann, suites 3hearts
Bach, French suites nr 4 C minor

In the afternoon the Telemann suites again.....

By the way......do you know the cembalo works of Zipoli? (Part two)
Zipoli, Cembalowerke

What did you play today?

Best regards
Johan B

P.S. In the evening........
Again the Telemann ouvertures and some of the French Suites of Bach

Edited by Johan B (06/06/15 04:54 PM)

Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'
https://m.youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2429300 - 06/06/15 03:05 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've played more Bach and Hannon, and will do another Czerny.
And every day I play 'Not Enough'...never fails.
Hoping to graduate well within two years of study. Now at #72 of Opus 599 and behind schedule.

#2429309 - 06/06/15 04:09 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]
Isabelle1949 Offline
500 Post Club Member

This morning, Telemann Overture No. 1, half of first page, counting the rhythm like crazy. Beethoven Op 14 No 2, half off the first page slowly and the 2 against three (four measures).

This after noon, Telemann again. The melody I this piece is just so sweet!!! Chopin Étude (aeolian), first two to three lines. It's been a long time and I think my hands shrunk!

Edited by Isabelle1949 (06/06/15 04:11 PM)

#2429324 - 06/06/15 05:10 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Isabelle1949]
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Isabelle1949
This morning, Telemann Overture No. 1, half of first page, counting the rhythm like crazy. Beethoven Op 14 No 2, half off the first page slowly and the 2 against three (four measures).

This after noon, Telemann again. The melody I this piece is just so sweet!!! Chopin Étude (aeolian), first two to three lines. It's been a long time and I think my hands shrunk!

I know the problem Isabelle,.....my hands are too small for Chopin, Liszt etc.....so I made up my mind and play baroque and music of the classical period, like Haydn and Mozart and some Beethoven...the others.....?.....is good for Lang Lang and guys like that..... grin

Kind regards,
Johan B

Motto's:

#2429495 - 06/07/15 01:37 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]
Isabelle1949 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Today, watched video on YouTube of Martha Argerich playing Scarlatti sonata 141. The rapid fire unisons!!! Pulled the piece up on the net and played with it a little. Not sure this one can happen in this lifetime. Eventually I will settle on something. At least my fingers have touched the keys every day now for at least 8 or 9 days straight after an almost 11 year hiatus. Need to start focusing on the music in terms of form, looking for similarities, sequences, scale runs,etc. This does make it easier, rather than note for note. Seem to frequently get caught up in the whole of itinstead of the parts which are more important.

This may sound crazy, but I may use an OTC med to improve focus and recall. Over 30 years ago I was taking a college class in endocrinology and at some point during that time I had a cold. One night I took sudafed then read the 60 or so pages assigned. The next morning I could repeat everything I had read the night before almost perfectly. I thought the Sudanese may have had an effect, but didn't really bother to research it. This weekend I did research the effect it has on focus and memory. Interesting. I'm not recommending this but just FYI interesting trivia.

#2429537 - 06/07/15 04:43 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: PianogrlNW]
Nicholas Mihaila Offline

Loc: United States
Originally Posted By PianogrlNW
Hanon is a tough slog. Not sure it's for me either. At the time Hanon wrote these exercises finger independence and strengthening was thought to be the key to virtuostic playing. Now the thinking is more of a whole body approach, using shoulders, arm weight, wrist rotation. If you're playing Hanon and feel any discomfort or pain - stop.

I worked on the tricky middle section of the Chopin Etude 10/3. I found a Paul Barton tutorial on YT which had some helpful practice ideas. Made some progress towards being able to play it for the first time for my teacher in a few weeks.

I'm not sure where you are in your musical journey, but I thought I'd interject something real quick. While Hanon does seem to overemphasize the finger-centric elements to playing, even with perfect supporting movements, finger independence is crucial. I'm just saying this because, looking back, I wish I had taken Hanon more seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/NTMihaila

My cover of Inuyasha - Every Heart: https://youtu.be/-rFKbUoO7bM

Currently working on Fantasie Impromptu and Animenz's Owari no Sekai Kara.

#2429546 - 06/07/15 05:23 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]
Isabelle1949 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Decided I should use a metronome. More accurate then my counting which is sometimes all over the place. Found a metronome by Steinway on the Internet for free download to phone or tablet. Glad I didn't go out and buy one.

#2429547 - 06/07/15 05:23 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Nicholas Mihaila]
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Nicholas Mihaila
Hanon is a tough slog. Not sure it's for me either. At the time Hanon wrote these exercises finger independence and strengthening was thought to be the key to virtuostic playing. Now the thinking is more of a whole body approach, using shoulders, arm weight, wrist rotation. If you're playing Hanon and feel any discomfort or pain - stop.

I worked on the tricky middle section of the Chopin Etude 10/3. I found a Paul Barton tutorial on YT which had some helpful practice ideas. Made some progress towards being able to play it for the first time for my teacher in a few weeks.

I'm not sure where you are in your musical journey, but I thought I'd interject something real quick. While Hanon does seem to overemphasize the finger-centric elements to playing, even with perfect supporting movements, finger independence is crucial. I'm just saying this because, looking back, I wish I had taken Hanon more seriously.

Nicholas,......Hanon or not.....the most important is......enjoy music and playing piano....watched your youtube and saw you do...... thumb thumb

Kind regards,
Johan B

Motto's:

#2429548 - 06/07/15 05:32 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member

7 June

Played today only my favs from 22.40 - 23.20h.....arghhhh frown frown

Drove about 300 km to my adult daughter in another part of the country......my wife painted a wall for her...while I was sitting in the sunshine on my daughters roof terrace......not bad... grin
After that we had a nice dinner in some restaurant.......back home at 22.00h....

Regards,
Johan B

Motto's:

#2429562 - 06/07/15 06:27 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]
Nicholas Mihaila Offline

Loc: United States
Originally Posted By Johan B
Originally Posted By Nicholas Mihaila

Nicholas,......Hanon or not.....the most important is......enjoy music and playing piano....watched your youtube and saw you do...... thumb thumb

Kind regards,
Johan B

Absolutely true. I couldn't argue with that. laugh

https://www.youtube.com/NTMihaila

My cover of Inuyasha - Every Heart: https://youtu.be/-rFKbUoO7bM

Currently working on Fantasie Impromptu and Animenz's Owari no Sekai Kara.

#2429720 - 06/08/15 11:15 AM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: PianogrlNW]
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes, Hannon can be tough and dangerous if not listening to the body signals.
I'm being careful smile
Did about 5 hrs of Hannon and Czerny today, but not pushing it in tempo.

#2429781 - 06/08/15 02:13 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]
Jytte Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: presently Germany (Danish)
5 hrs ?? How on earth do you do that? I'm so proud when I manage to get in 3 hrs in one day, on a weekend (with plenty breaks in between).

Edited by Jytte (06/08/15 02:13 PM)

#2429784 - 06/08/15 02:33 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Jytte]
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Jytte,
Yes,I had a good day today. The weather was cold and cloudy for this time of year and I also needed to rest up my muscles after many days of gardening/landscaping (lots of digging).
So, a perfect day for piano and I was able to zoom in on myself.
At peace today and need more days like that.
It's not always like that and not enough patience too often.
But I'm working on it!
And I still have more that I will do today smile
Not pushing the tempo at all though, mainly learning the moves.

#2429813 - 06/08/15 03:32 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member

RaggedKeyPresser,

You did a good job. It' so nice when you have time to play for hours...... thumb thumb

8 June

Today I took my books Keyboardsuites of Händel......so nice 3hearts 3hearts.... .....mmmmmmm...I can Händel it.......

Kind regards,
Johan b

Motto's:

#2429890 - 06/08/15 08:18 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]
Isabelle1949 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Today, Telemann Overture No. 1. Still working the first page. Plan to print the rest of the Overtures later. Beethoven Op 14 No 2 first mvt first page. Working on correcting errors I am making in the same places, slowly and deliberately. Scarlatti Op 141, slowly, page 1. Started using the metronome on this one to prevent me from cutting myself too much slack. Best part is am enjoying returning to the piano. No tension while playing. I used to clench my jaws so hard that my jaws hurt after practicing.

When practicing I can almost feel my last piano teacher in the room with me. He passed away about 10 years ago.

#2429923 - 06/08/15 11:58 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Isabelle1949]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
I rarely use a metronome.....but when I do, the piece sounds so much better! But I still don't use it!

#2430059 - 06/09/15 01:14 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]
Isabelle1949 Offline
500 Post Club Member

This a.m. worked on page 1 of Scarlatti K 141. Left hand arpeggios much improved, hands very relaxed and comfortable. Rolling chords in left hand getting easier with lighter touch. (My left hand has always been somewhat dumber than the right). Will work this later with metronome, not very fast, because I don't want to have to unlearn mistakes.

What have you practiced today?

#2430061 - 06/09/15 01:19 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks, Johan B
Today easy Bach, and some more Hanon and Czerny #3

#2430129 - 06/09/15 04:43 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member

9 June

Today noTelemann, Bach or Händel........but.......

Reinecke, Sonatines and smaller works
Schumann, Waldszenen and Sonaten for the young

And in the afternoon......Jazzstandards, Budgetbooks (Hal Leonard), the Album Best songs ever and some stuff of André Rieu.....

Best regards,
Johan B

Motto's:

#2430297 - 06/10/15 07:01 AM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]
Ganddalf Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
I normally have my practice session in the morning before I go to work, usually spending some 30 - 40 minutes. Much of this time I spend on new pieces, but sometimes I also do maintenance on old repertoire.

Today I worked on the following pieces:
Debussy, Reverie
Faure, Barcarolle no.1
Mendelssohn, three of the Songs Without Words

I try to keep 10 - 15 of Mendelsson's songs without words on my repertoire ready for performance at any time. I choose more or less randomly (or by mood) a couple of pieces for every practice session.

The Faure and Debussy pieces are relatively new to me and I work on details and memorization of them. The Faure is challenging technically and I need to have it completely memorized in order to be able to play it reasonably well. Therefore most of the time this morning was used on a few measures of the Barcarolle.

#2430343 - 06/10/15 10:15 AM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]
PianogrlNW Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Astor Piazolla-Milonga del angel I discovered this piece in my daughter's piano book and wow - what a great piece. Here's a gorgeous performance of the piece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6tWjLCpF4I

#2430350 - 06/10/15 10:38 AM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]
piano_primo_1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA
I’m re-practicing “Lullaby of the Bells” by Ed Ward, because it reminds me of a new piece (for me) by Rachmaninoff “ Rromance” opus something or other ---8 no 2-- …lol, that I’m studying.
Tip: there is value in playing old pieces you have learned esp in concordance with a new piece that you find similar.
Helps me in the sense I played something similar and it’s attainable… I hope.

#2430392 - 06/10/15 12:43 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: PianogrlNW]
Isabelle1949 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh Pianogirl, work that piece. I am part Cuban and looked up the translation for the title. Could be dance or tale of the angel. It's a beautiful piece.

#2430425 - 06/10/15 02:05 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]
PianoBoenna Offline

Loc: Norway
Ludovico Einaudi - Questa Notte

I have been playing for a year and a half and this will be my first "big" piece i learn.

It is very hard, but both me and my teacher thought i would be a nice piece to learn through the summer.

I like Einaudi alot, so im very happy i can startt o learn some of his work, though i suspect i it will take months

before i can play this piece to an ok standard wink

#2430436 - 06/10/15 02:41 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]
Isabelle1949 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Today, Scarlatti K 141, slowly, pg 1. Explored page two a little, very slowly.

Next session will be Telemann Overture 1 and Bach Invemtion No. 14 (played this over 20 years ago, trying to get it back).

Happy Piano Playing!!!

Edited by Isabelle1949 (06/10/15 03:28 PM)

#2430454 - 06/10/15 04:08 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Isabelle1949]
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Isabelle1949
Today, Scarlatti K 141, slowly, pg 1. Explored page two a little, very slowly.

Next session will be Telemann Overture 1 and Bach Invemtion No. 14 (played this over 20 years ago, trying to get it back).

Happy Piano Playing!!!

Isabelle,
Happy that you're happy with the baroque composers......you did a good job..... thumb thumb

10 June

Today total other music.....came home from work about 16h with a terrible headache, took some pills and started playing with slow music...just to relax....I have the idea that I can play my headache away... wink found in my library easy little sonates of Schumann and small works of Reinecke and Nicolai von Wilm....played for one hour and after dinner at about 18h I realized my headache had gone....

In the evening I continued playing the romantic composers. Played for more than two hours. Among others I played nine Sonatines of Reinecke (opus 47) 3hearts 3hearts You can find them at IMSLP.ORG

Best regards,
Johan B

Edited by Johan B (06/10/15 04:09 PM)

Motto's:

#2430545 - 06/10/15 11:10 PM Re: What did you play today? Tip for other pianists? Daily...... [Re: Johan B]
Isabelle1949 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Will be analyzing and making notations on the Telemann and Scarlatti. I think this does help with learning. Never thought I would ever have said that. I wish I hadn't thrown out all of mt theory stuff.

Page 2 of 29 < 1 2 3 4 28 29 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
What's Hot!!
New Forums Location & New Piano World Site
---------------------
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player!
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
A. Geyer Pianos
A. Geyer Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Music Theme Scarves

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sampletekk Black 70% off
by TheodorN
04/28/17 06:03 PM
MIT Piano Drop
by WhoDwaldi
04/28/17 05:35 PM
Possible to disable internal sounds on Yamaha P60 keyboard?
by Fscotte
04/28/17 03:58 PM
In the middle of choosing a piano concerto
by chrisyip789
04/28/17 02:57 PM
In Search Of The World's Greatest Pianos!
by Rich D.
04/28/17 02:54 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
87,549 Registered Members
44 Forums
179,270 Topics
2,620,250 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission