Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
56 registered members (Artur Gajewski, Animisha, bambooninja, Alex C, Charles Cohen, A Guy, 90125, 14 invisible), 951 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kohler and Campbell SKG-600s opinions please #2425242
05/26/15 09:30 PM
05/26/15 09:30 PM
Alabama
ThePawn Offline OP
ThePawn  Offline OP

Alabama
Hi Everyone,

I have identified this grand piano candidate about an hour away from where I live on Craigslist. The ad states that the serial number is inig0482 from 1994. This piano would not be my forever piano obviously but it appears to be in great shape and has went through a series of reductions since it first popped to its current price of $2990. Piano C'list Ad

I currently have a Casio Privia and it serves a purpose but digital pianos are so soulless and sterile. I honestly would like something in the 6-7' range or if my house dictated a smaller piano, something like a Ritmuller GH-170. I was really going to wait a while but this piano came up again and the price appears to be good to me dependent on an evaluation by a RPT. I would like more informed opinions from others. Thanks for any insights.

Jason

“Whether You Think You Can Or Think You Can’t, You’re Right.”- Henry Ford
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Kohler and Campbell SKG-600s opinions please [Re: ThePawn] #2425663
05/27/15 03:25 PM
05/27/15 03:25 PM
Seattle
S
SMHaley Offline
1000 Post Club Member
SMHaley  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S

Seattle
I have one I care for 6 times a year and others I have occasional encounters with. As a 5'9" they are fair for an entry level grand. Some are decent and others not as good. Most of the ones I have come across or worked on are a little fussy to tune and keep stable. The treble tends to wander on these things with even the smallest change in humidity. I'm not a fan of the hard hammers. They can be mellowed but take regular voicing work to keep them that way. I'm definitely not a fan of the action design or ratios. They have a heaviness and inconsistency to them due in part the keys having very little or no weight, and whippen assist springs that are not easily regulated on the whippen flange... to the point that some keys are at a 76 gram down weight. The whippen design is such that some regulation tasks cannot be accomplished easily since they don't have adjusts for the repetition spring.

Aside from the hammers, tonally the scale is ok. Mine have lots of false beating in the treble, I believe due to the wide termination point of the plate. I think the bass could be improved with better wrapped strings. Against the rest of the scale the bass feels a little weak.

All in all its an ok product from Samick. There's certainly worse out there, but their is better too. Unless you're married to the idea of a polyester finish I'd also consider other makes. The Baldwin R seems to be quite popular for a used instrument.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder
Chief Instrument Technician, Director, Chancel Arts
Church Music Professional
AA Music Arts 2001, BM Organ, Choral 2005

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single
Re: Kohler and Campbell SKG-600s opinions please [Re: SMHaley] #2425814
05/27/15 11:39 PM
05/27/15 11:39 PM
Alabama
ThePawn Offline OP
ThePawn  Offline OP

Alabama
Thank you very much for your input SMHaley! Based on this opinion alone, I am not going to look at this piano. Everything that you relayed to me makes this piano a pass. I have a reasonable amount of space to work with and would like to get more piano anyways.

My teacher has a Petrof III I believe. That seems like a nice size. I have difficulty getting ppp out of it though. Of course I am a novice so that may be the issue wink I have thought that a used Baldwin L might be right for me. I just need to get out and play lots of pianos and figure all of that out. Thanks again for your thoughtful reply.

Jason

Re: Kohler and Campbell SKG-600s opinions please [Re: ThePawn] #2425841
05/28/15 01:33 AM
05/28/15 01:33 AM
California, USA
M
musicpassion Offline
2000 Post Club Member
musicpassion  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
M

California, USA
I don't have specific experience with the Kohler and Campbell, but if it is a Samick I have experience with those.

I agree with (basically) everything mentioned above. But I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion. With the price falling on this instrument, might it be possible to purchase the piano for something like $2,500? If that is the budget you are working with I think this is a possibility worth looking at. I've played a Samick that had the hammers replaced with a high quality hammer, and the result was shockingly good. Still had the less than ideal action, but not shabby a piano.

It would be very surprising for a Baldwin (in reasonably good condition) to sell in that range.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
Re: Kohler and Campbell SKG-600s opinions please [Re: musicpassion] #2426232
05/28/15 10:15 PM
05/28/15 10:15 PM
Alabama
ThePawn Offline OP
ThePawn  Offline OP

Alabama
I am fairly certain that the K&C is a Samick product. I had thought that putting on some new hammers like Imadegawa hammers might help an instrument like this. I don't really know how much money I would want to sink in this piano. I really don't want to fight with a clunky action. I need something that will help me develop and hone my pianistic skills.

I may yet go and look at it. Like so many other people, I am always looking for a deal. I can continue to wait it out and buy something better but I find my digital to be an unsatisfying experience. It just can't provide the musical connection like a real piano. Thanks for your input.

Jason

Re: Kohler and Campbell SKG-600s opinions please [Re: ThePawn] #2426248
05/28/15 11:42 PM
05/28/15 11:42 PM
Seattle, WA USA
E
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Ed McMorrow, RPT  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
E

Seattle, WA USA
My experience agrees with S.M. Haley's

I also think that if you get it cheap enough, getting a skilled tone regulator/rebuilder to install new hammers and go over the entire thing could make it a very useful instrument.

I would not use Imadagawa hammers. I don't think they would work any differently than the factory originals. Go with a softer, lighter hammer.

Most importantly you need to know a skilled technician to embark on a project like this. Audition prospective tech's work to learn what they offer.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Re: Kohler and Campbell SKG-600s opinions please [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT] #2426764
05/29/15 11:26 PM
05/29/15 11:26 PM
Alabama
ThePawn Offline OP
ThePawn  Offline OP

Alabama
Ed,

Thank you for your reply. I always enjoy reading your posts and certainly value your insight. What would you recommend hammer wise? Can you ballpark how much it would cost to get a skilled tone regulator/rebuilder to install new hammers and go over the entire thing? Approximately how much would you charge parts and labor to do such a thing if this piano arrived in your shop?

I live about 90 minutes south of this piano in Huntsville, AL. I don't believe there is anybody here for that kind of work. Of course I could just move this piano over to somebody in Nashville, where this piano is, to do the work before it would come to me. I have to believe that somebody in the Music City would have the necessary skills to do this work. Thanks again for your expertise.

Jason

Re: Kohler and Campbell SKG-600s opinions please [Re: ThePawn] #2426819
05/30/15 05:38 AM
05/30/15 05:38 AM
Philadelphia/South Jersey
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Rich Galassini  Offline
Platinum Subscriber

Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted by ThePawn

I live about 90 minutes south of this piano in Huntsville, AL. I don't believe there is anybody here for that kind of work. Of course I could just move this piano over to somebody in Nashville, where this piano is, to do the work before it would come to me.

Jason,

I don't know of anybody in Huntsville, but I have known Ed Foote in Nashville since the mid-1990s and he is a tremendous technician. If he is not able to help I have also met Steve Kelly in Nashville.

Ed Foote is a member here on PW as well.

We recently did hammers, shanks, and flanges on a Samick SG 172 for a client. Different design but much the same in the challenges it presented. (Frankly, we encouraged trading the piano, but sometimes people just love what they have.)

I would feel uncomfortable quoting a price to you because labor is a big part of the cost on any piano repair. Labor charges differ from region to region and from technician to technician. Further, there are usually other things that go along with a repair like this - seeing the piano is a must to be accurate in exactly what work is needed.

Good luck in your search,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: Kohler and Campbell SKG-600s opinions please [Re: Rich Galassini] #2426993
05/30/15 05:26 PM
05/30/15 05:26 PM
Alabama
ThePawn Offline OP
ThePawn  Offline OP

Alabama
Thanks for the reply Rich. I have always enjoyed your thoughtful posts and insight. I have read many of Ed Foote's postings and that is a tremendous suggestion. I hope to visit your place in Philly someday. I would honestly love to have something like the Cunningham Parlour grand. It is truly a beautiful sounding piano from the video clips I have saw of it.

By the way, I really love the Piano Tastings videos that you and Hugh have done. They are awesome! The interview with Eleanor Sokoloff was priceless. I would like to see a video comparing the Cunningham concert grand to maybe a Steinway D and/or a Bosendorfer Imperial. Perhaps a future episode wink

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Comparing DP to acoustic, muffled/metallic sound etc...
by Artur Gajewski. 01/16/19 01:27 AM
Need Roland HP170 service manual/schematic
by btsui. 01/15/19 11:15 PM
Discord Online Jamming Central server looking for pianists
by Tyrone Slothrop. 01/15/19 11:02 PM
NU1X white noise?
by Eienkei. 01/15/19 10:51 PM
What keyboard should I get???
by jbear876. 01/15/19 08:42 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,592
Posts2,782,181
Members92,114
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission