2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That I enjoy the people who are even more nerdy and geeky about Piano than me. Even when I don't understand a thing that goes on in the Piano Tuners forum!

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
A couple of years ago, I had bought some books with the intention to self teach until I got stuck. I didn't join here, but read some posts and realised that the advice was solid, that a good teacher is even more important at the beginning, as unlearning bad habits would be difficult.

So I decided to be patient and wait till I could have regular lessons ( although it will be fortnightly, not weekly at this point). I think it was the right decision, but without this forum I would have plunged right in at the deep end and tried to run before I could crawl.

I occasionally came back and lurked, and the way you all encourage each other is great motivation to keep going when it gets hard.

♥♪ ♥ ♫ I really shouldn't borrow tomorrow's troubles, but I like to plan ahead. ♥♪ ♥ ♫

[Linked Image]XL

Kawai CA 97
I would love to have a teacher but after paying for lots of activities for my kids (including music) I can't afford it, so the best thing I've learnt here is rather than struggle along with books to teach myself, there is pianomarvel.com, and I think it's brilliant!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Springmissy
I would love to have a teacher but after paying for lots of activities for my kids (including music) I can't afford it, so the best thing I've learnt here is rather than struggle along with books to teach myself, there is pianomarvel.com, and I think it's brilliant!
thumb I agree the learning tools and approaches available to us nowadays are amazing. For Piano some of them border on miracles!

We are the music makers,
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The best guiding principle I've picked up, is that all practice and learning should be focused on getting better control ... with the end goal being mastery. Mastery of yourself 1st and the instrument 2nd ...

wow

We are the music makers,
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Ok, Groove On, now I'll have to start a thread to ask what is "Control at the piano".

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Albunea
Ok, Groove On, now I'll have to start a thread to ask what is "Control at the piano".

thumb Whee!

We are the music makers,
Earl,

I signed up for Piano World forum a long time ago and might be active regularly. It will be interesting to see what people have written and what they will write! I've already seen some intriguing posts and responses. You've written over 2000 times I see. Impressive!

-Ryan

Founder of online/offline piano curriculum
www.keyidentityaccess.com
(For as young as 3 with parent/guardian participation)
"You've had the keys all along!"
503-479-8631 Office
http://www.ryandaviddwyer.com
M
M
I've learned that if I spend half as much time at the piano as I do on Piano World, I may turn out to be a pretty decent pianist after all.

August Förster 190
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
That means about 6 hrs per day in the forum?

Will do some R&B for a while. Give the classical a break.
You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
M
M
I'm new to Piano World. I just want to thank you for the words about process. As a writer, I yearn to just crank out work - but I've learned to actually love the re-write process; thinking quite technically about structure, character development and relationships, even to the sound of words and rhythm of phrases. That's what puts me in the flow, and my work has improved considerably.

Now getting back to the piano after many years, I starting to find that I can still love Rubinstein (and more and more these days, Schiff), but I'm learning to love learning. When I don't, I just get frustrated that I'm not Rubinstein and never will be, and then I just want to quit.

Now I'm pulling myself out of that trap, and starting to really love the process. As someone else said, love the process, not the goal. I'd add, love the process and the goal will take care of itself.

For me, integrating that is a MAJOR step forward both in playing and in life.

So thank you all for the inspiration. I'm so glad I found these forums!

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Welcome Markmilo. So glad your realize the importance of the process. It can be enjoyable and challenging. That is what makes the goal so worth the work.

Happy piano playing!!!

Always working to improve "Chopsticks". I'll never give up on it.
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
The two best tips I have received here came from Brendan and bennevis. Many years ago Brendan suggested practising difficult, continuous passages, not by slow practice but by splitting them into small sections, each of which is easy at speed, with pauses between each pair, then joining them over time. I have been using this trick ever since and it has never failed to get results quickly.

The second tip came from bennevis, who suggested using baby socks as pedal bags. Brilliant !

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Te best thing I learned about at Piano World (so far) is about the Roland V-Grand. Living in a condo, these are the products that can provide me the (so far) closest experience to a "real" piano (as many seem to phrase it. Thanks go out to pv-88, bennevis, and EssBrace for this.

Also, I have gotten a lot of information about self-teaching methods and approaches.

Really, both of these items are of equal importance, since one would simply not do without the other.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
C
C
Originally Posted by D7K
Ok, list the one thing you've learned here (in any forum) that you think did the most for your piano playing.

Preparation to recitals. I have been given absolutely amazing and 100% constructive advices regarding practising for recitals. Many thanks to: earlofmar, dmd, Stubbie, zrtf90, BrianDX, SwissMS smile

I also play with headphones and used to keep volume on 50% but it was my teacher who changed that. Now, I tend to play without headphones which feels great when I can actually listen to piano more naturally smile

Last edited by Celdor; 12/03/15 05:47 AM.

Zbigniew

[Linked Image]
D
D7K Offline OP
OP Offline
D
About time to add a second thing I've learned that was greatly helpful. Play every day no matter how long.I now keep some easy pop stuff on the music stand and when I don't feel well or too busy with life, I fire up the PX5S and just play a piece that I know once or twice - its lifts my spirit and I don't feel the pressure of not having played.

Jeff
Casio PX-5S Pro - my new adventure
Yamaha p105 - gone but not forgotten
N
N
Hands separate (HS)...slowly. HS up to tempo. Hands together (HT)...slowly. HT up to tempo. I like learning, and the process of learning, and while my teacher would have me do this when learning new songs, she didn't say it so clearly as I've read here.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Noonie
Hands separate (HS)...slowly. HS up to tempo. Hands together (HT)...slowly. HT up to tempo. I like learning, and the process of learning, and while my teacher would have me do this when learning new songs, she didn't say it so clearly as I've read here.

Great to hear Noonie; Just to take note, there are many posters here in ABF that do not subscribe to this method. But that's OK.

However, both my teacher and the publishers of my lesson books recommend this technique. I have found through trial and error that this works best for me as well.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by markmilo
I'm new to Piano World. I just want to thank you for the words about process. As a writer, I yearn to just crank out work - but I've learned to actually love the re-write process; thinking quite technically about structure, character development and relationships, even to the sound of words and rhythm of phrases. That's what puts me in the flow, and my work has improved considerably.

Now getting back to the piano after many years, I starting to find that I can still love Rubinstein (and more and more these days, Schiff), but I'm learning to love learning. When I don't, I just get frustrated that I'm not Rubinstein and never will be, and then I just want to quit.

Now I'm pulling myself out of that trap, and starting to really love the process. As someone else said, love the process, not the goal. I'd add, love the process and the goal will take care of itself.

For me, integrating that is a MAJOR step forward both in playing and in life.

So thank you all for the inspiration. I'm so glad I found these forums!

Markmilo,

Welcome on board......PW is a nice place to be....among pianofriends......you will find all kind of interesting things......about piano's, digital piano's, grandpiano's.....abput what other members are playing......digital recitals.......

You will enjoy it.

Kind regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
M
M
"Best things I've learned on Piano World" - the kind and good humored support for piano and music as a process, rather than a result. What a lift at the end of a long day to sit down and learn something. I loved the comment from markmilo that "I'm learning to love learning". So easy to forget in today's world, so important for mental health and "staying power" in the face of whatever life throws at you.

Last edited by Medved1; 01/30/16 08:46 PM. Reason: add quote

Mason & Hamlin A ('97)
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission