2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
25 members (3x4rt, BachToTheFuture, johanibraaten, clothearednincompo, Burkey, Kawai James, GreatShowmanChopin, JackQ89, 6 invisible), 353 guests, and 390 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 59 of 74 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 73 74
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself
mr_super-hunky #2414856 04/28/15 07:11 AM
P
P
Hey there. I'm Tom from Poland, 25 yrs old. Acquired my first digital piano 2 weeks ago and immediately fell in love with it wink. Although I'm a total beginner on this instrument, I do have some musical background and I hope it'll help me with learning. I don't want to become a full (or even quarter :P) time concert pianist. I also think that I'll be pretty happy with a decent DP instead of acoustic (cost, weight, space and tuning issues turn me off).
I especially like Chopin, his E minor prelude was the first thing I learned to play.
My dream is to play the Ballade in G minor, maybe in the next 10 years I'll be able to fulfill it :P.
I hope to find some advice and support here, and share my experience with other people who also think they'll never too old to start wink.
One Love

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
mr_super-hunky #2414882 04/28/15 08:26 AM
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
welcome Pulatom, you have a long road ahead to the Ballade in G minor but maybe one day you will be playing it here for us.

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Pulatom #2414909 04/28/15 09:57 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by Pulatom

I especially like Chopin, his E minor prelude was the first thing I learned to play.
My dream is to play the Ballade in G minor, maybe in the next 10 years I'll be able to fulfill it :P.
I hope to find some advice and support here, and share my experience with other people who also think they'll never too old to start wink.

Welcome Tom! Just a few thoughts to your message
1) if you've been playing for 2 weeks and you already learned Chopin's e-minor prelude I think your musical background must be quite extensive smile
2) There's a book on the exact quest of playing the G-minor ballade as an adult beginner
http://amzn.com/B00C2RXUTM (though I'm partial to the F-minor ballade myself)
3) I think you'll find that whatever age you start, it's not too old smile

August Förster 190
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
mr_super-hunky #2415006 04/28/15 03:29 PM
P
P
WOW, they even wrote a book about it laugh. Looks like something I must read.
I realize that it'll be a long journey. But the time will pass anyway, as someone wise said.
I've been playing the guitar and guitar-like instruments for ca. 10 years and generally I'm said to have a good musical ear. I learned this prelude from a video tutorial. I'll try to record it this weekend, though it obviously won't be free of mistakes wink.

mr_super-hunky #2415083 04/28/15 08:00 PM
F
F
Well, I'm 61 and purchased a used Yamaha YPT-220 over New Years weekend so I have been practicing out of the Alfred's All In One Book I for about 4 months now. Currently up to "Chasing the Blues Away". I'm married and working although the job is a tough one pulling parts in a warehouse. I lost my "real" job when the economy crashed and haven't been able to find anything decent since. I am mainly interested in learning Blues/Rock/Jazz although my hands haven't told me where they want to go yet. I hope to eventually find a "hobby band" to play with once or twice a month. Due to the aforementioned employment situation I cannot currently afford lessons but I hope to turn that around eventually.

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
mr_super-hunky #2415100 04/28/15 08:43 PM
A
A
I'm 44 and have been playing piano a little over 2 weeks now. I took piano lessons for a year as a child, and a couple years of guitar on and off between 10-16. I also have played in lots of rock bands from the time I was 18 up to now, so I can play drums, bass and guitar by ear, though not great at any of them technically, I'm somewhat adept at figuring out parts or writing ornamentations onto other people's compositions. I've written some pop/rock songs as well, but it's all by ear and intuition. I don't know much technically about what I'm doing.

I've recently been feeling a really strong pull from classical music and particularly the piano repertoire, and I regret that I gave up on learning music formally and learning to read music. I'm fantasizing about entertaining my self in my old age by playing some of the great pieces of the classical repertoire. So, I'm embarking on a new journey of disciplined practice, starting from the very beginning. I think my experience may give me a little bit of a leg up (I hope). I wonder if being so used to playing by ear and from memory will help or hinder sight-reading?

All the advice I read, and hear from my teacher, is to take it slow, be patient and don't feel like I "should" be farther along. But it's a little weird to have played in bands for so long and now be struggling to master When the Saints Go Marching In! :-)

But, I've been enjoying the ride so far and don't mind playing some of the goofier tunes in my Faber book because I can tell they are teaching me something. I'm finding at times I just enjoy the process and at others I really long to be much farther along. I'll have to work on my patience.

My piano interests at this point are entirely with the classical repertoire, everything from baroque to 20th Century. Probably the Beethoven Sonatas had the most influence on me to start piano - though I have no expectations of playing any of them anytime soon! :-)

My other biggest interests are reading (mostly fiction), good beer, and food/cooking (used to be a chef - now I'm an academic librarian).

I'm happy to have found this forum and look forward to more forum-ing with you all.

Last edited by ashenden; 04/28/15 08:44 PM.

Currently working on:
Faber Adult Adventures 2
Alfred's First Book of Scales
Bastien's Classical Themes of the Masters
mr_super-hunky #2416105 05/01/15 12:33 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Pulatom - Welcome to PianoWorld! Defining goals is interesting and important when learning a new instrument. Don't forget that this is a journey and that you're in good company here. Good luck!

Finfan - Welcome to PianoWorld! So nice to know you found a nice hobby to keep you focused on good things of life. I'm sure you're in the right path and playing in a band is awesome. Good luck!

ashenden - Welcome to PianoWorld! Wow, so much experience! I think you get it: having fun is the most important. Good luck!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
mr_super-hunky #2416815 05/03/15 01:59 PM
P
P
So, I am 62 and have been playing for about 6 1/2 years now. I took piano lessons for a period of time (not sure how long) as a child, but I didn't really have the interest or dedication to stick with it. After a hiatus of about 50 years, I decided to give it a try again. Obviously, after this length of time, I had NO skills whatsoever.

I have taken classes at the local community college. I have also taken about 2 years worth of private lessons and I try to practice about 2 hours a day. I've been finding this much more challenging than I expected. At this point, I really wish that I had never stopped as a child. Of course, I imagine there are thousands of other people who have the same thought. All the same, I look at this as something interesting and rewarding that I can do during my senior years.

I play mostly classical music. That seems to be the way most teachers teach beginners. With that said, I like many different types of music including pop and jazz in addition to classical. I prefer to play music that I enjoy rather than music that requires virtuosic technique. I don't have virtuosic technique but even if I did, I enjoy the aural pleasure I get from the music more than the technical challenges. (Admittedly, I might feel differently about this if I had the skills of a concert pianist.)

I'm particularly interested in learning from others who started to play later in life like myself. Hopefully, I can learn what types of problems they encountered and what solutions they found to solve those problems.

pianostu #2416819 05/03/15 02:13 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome Pianostu! I am a late returner, and like yourself I have played for a little over six years since I returned to the bench. This is a wonderful hobby in retirement. I am 63, so I am about the same age as well.

The major problems that I have encountered are related to impatience. It takes time to develop the skills, and I think it is easy to become impatient with ourselves. It is all about enjoying the journey. The second problem that I have had, is finding a teacher that has a structured approach to learning, to help me reach my goals. My solution to that was to start sitting ABRSM exams and learn all the technical, aural, and sight reading skills in addition to pieces. I have taken approximately four years of lessons, and currently have an excellent teacher.

Welcome to PianoWorld, and enjoy you piano journey!

mr_super-hunky #2418266 05/08/15 08:08 AM
P
P
Hi, I live in the UK. I'm 32 years old and my daughter started learning the piano about 6 months ago. I took an interest in it as I always have done in the piano but I never got around to committing to learning it. I decided to start my first lessons about a month ago. I have picked up some basic stuff over the years so currently I can read some very basic stuff (twinkle, twinkle anyone?) ;o) . I'm just starting my journey. I thought I was too old to start but then I realized that I am far from the age of others that start to learn, and really, you are never too old.

I read up for ages on here which was very helpful. I scouted my local ads and ebay for a digital piano until I finally decided to stop settling for older, secondhand, outdated, overpriced DP's and to get to a shop and consider spending a little more on a newer piano. In the end I settled for a Yamaha Arius YDPS51, which is the slim cabinet design. Originally I wanted to buy big and bold from the off to never have to replace it, but then I realized that this is perfectly ok for beginners and somewhat more with the GH keyboard and nice feel. This slim cabinet design is neat and tidy and compact which allowed me to fit it into my house as space was a factor. It's also safe around my kids with the soft close lid. The best part was that in the UK I got it brand new with 5 year warranty, delivered for only £625 (about $1000 USD). I'm loving the instrument. It's so nice to have one in the home so we can really turn our attention to learning it.

I feel it will be years before I can play anything I want, but I am prepared for this. I'm not sure if this is normal, but currently I feel like I can play things better by just watching others play (youtube vids say) rather than reading the music. My teacher insists that everything becomes easier if you learn to read music quickly, and that this should be the basis of my learning. Learn to read then all else will come...

Does this sound familiar? Do you agree?

Thanks

Last edited by pianist007; 05/08/15 08:10 AM.
mr_super-hunky #2418437 05/08/15 06:22 PM
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
welcome to the forum pianist007 wish I had started a 32 which I think is a great age to start. Much more likely to find the pinao fulfilling although frustrating also, but stick with it through the years.

Yes learning to read quickly is the key even although it may seem insurmountable at the moment However being able to copy either from your teacher or from youtube is also important and sounds like you have a good ear which will also come in handy.

Looking forward to hearing more about your journey.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
mr_super-hunky #2418438 05/08/15 06:39 PM
B
B
I am 63 years old and live in Minnesota. Like many, I took piano lessons for a few years as a kid, but then dropped it for a long time. About thirty-some years ago, I decided that I wanted to learn and bought an old upright refurbished piano and began to taught myself to play. I was making some progress, I believe, but then because of a variety of things I gradually stopped playing. A couple of other times during the intervening years, I made some brief attempts. I am retired now and have decided to take advantage of my free time to really see where I can go with it. I know O that many recommend a teacher, but I really just want to pace myself. I've been at it for about 6 weeks now and making slow progress (I guess), but still struggling a lot. I realize that there are many parts of it that are much harder for me than they were years ago. Basically, trying to do two different things with your two hands is harder for older adults. But I am having lots of fun and practicing at least a couple of hours every day.

Recently, I took a great course on Classical Music on Coursera, which has really got me into classical music, which is what I play almost exclusively now. In particular, I have developed a real passion for Beethoven and listen to him constantly. I am really glad that I found this forum because after just a couple of days here, I have already seen others talking about the very same issues that I am dealing with. Misery, indeed, loves company :-)

mr_super-hunky #2418446 05/08/15 07:16 PM
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
Welcome BenS, pacing yourself is sometimes learned over many years of experience and I think that can be beneficial. So many of the younger kids just want to blast their way through the levels straight to the most difficult stuff.

I had a similar experience with classical music in a sense. Before taking up piano I could not stand to listen to a solo piano work but now I understand the difficulty more I am much more receptive.

Good luck with your journey.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
pianist007 #2418465 05/08/15 08:34 PM
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by pianist007
Does this sound familiar? Do you agree?

Reading's worth it.

It's not the be all and end all. It's not an easy skill. But it's very handy.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
mr_super-hunky #2418478 05/08/15 10:07 PM
B
B
Hi everyone,

My name is Jamie. I am 32 years old and just started my piano lessons 4 months ago. I've always wanted to learn piano since I was 5 years old. When we were in kindergarten(Taiwan), kids who took piano lessons would skip nap time to learn how to play piano. I was always the one who asked permission to go to the bathroom but actually stood behind the door and listened to these kids and teachers playing piano. Now with a stable income and time, I finally can afford to learn and spend time to develop my hobby laugh

I started with a digital piano and luckily my aunt sold me her 1992 Baldwin console with a low price few weeks ago. I enjoy every single minute of practicing.

I am a physical therapist assistant. After a few piano lessons, I started to realize how weak my fingers are and probably need to give myself some therapy for strengthening of the fingers.

It's very encouraging to find this forum and know there are many adult learners out there.

mr_super-hunky #2418503 05/09/15 12:24 AM
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
welcome to the forum Bagle
your fingers will begin to feel stronger as you advance naturally. But you may decide to do some additional exercises for finger independence, in particular the fourth and fifth fingers.

There has been a lot written here on the forum about weak fingers so worth while to do some research by reading old posts.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
mr_super-hunky #2423394 05/22/15 02:17 AM
I am just joining the forum. My story: I grew up with a piano, a violin, and a clarinet in the house. The only instrument that gave me instant gratification (in terms of a musical sound smile ) was the piano! My sister and I had the John Thompson books (if anyone remembers those) and we got through them. My mom was an accompanist for the church choir when she was a teenager, but she was self taught and really only knew chords in the left, some melody in the right. I can tell you, being the self taught daughter asking a self taught mother for piano advice is not the best recipe for success! I did learn to read music very well, and I think because that was a form of play to me as kid, I could instantly read music, when I picked it up 45 years later. Besides some really basic dynamics, that's about it. I just started playing again in earnest 4 months ago. I have a teacher...yeah! We've agreed that I'm kinda sorta a level 3 person trapped in a level 1 body. I need to catch up my technical skills (obviously). I'm almost through the Alfred's adult course #1. I'm crazy into learning and have used YouTube videos (Josh Wright is an awesome teacher, and the Piano Magazine series), Wikipedia (you know they have a great entry under "Tempo" that tells you the metronome count for every designation (moderato, allegro, presto, etc?). That was invaluable. Coursera. Whoa! Find! And this forum! Another find! Always happy to share what I've found. Looking forward to getting to know everyone. smile

mr_super-hunky #2423419 05/22/15 05:39 AM
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
welcome grace_note (what a great name). You can make great progress in a single year with a good teacher and diligent practice so it won't be long before you are a level 6 trapped in a level 3 body smirk

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
grace_note #2423638 05/22/15 05:30 PM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by grace_note
My sister and I had the John Thompson books (if anyone remembers those) and we got through them.

I've bought one today!

mr_super-hunky #2424452 05/24/15 09:25 PM
V
V
Hello everyone. I just joined the site yesterday and already I've found it to be a truly nice forum. =)

I'm a 21 year old Swedish student of national economics. Although I'm starting to wish I had studied music, as it is slightly more interesting.
Aside from the playing the piano, which I normally do many hours per day, I'm a huge fan of classical music.
I think it all started when I was young and playing certain video games, in particular Medal Of Honor Allied Assault. That game had an amazing score by Michael Giacchino, if you haven't heard any of it, I suggest you look it up. =)

Currently, I mostly listen to Brahms, Beethoven, Vivaldi and Chopin. I do listen to a lot of other music too though, anything from Queen, Iron Maiden, Rammstein etc to Lady gagy and the likes. Can't help but to love Red Army Choir songs either. smile

I'm also a major fan of history, politics, economics and so forth.

I'm sure I'll have a great time here and I hope everyone else does too.

Page 59 of 74 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 73 74

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia L225 loses tune very quickly
by M_albert - 10/20/20 01:49 AM
Piano Safari Christmas collection
by ebonykawai - 10/19/20 08:59 PM
Another "beginner" piece w/twist
by MilesAbbott - 10/19/20 08:58 PM
Sostenuto Pedal....in an upright?
by Duaner - 10/19/20 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,315
Posts3,015,355
Members98,949
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission