2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
44 members (Colin Miles, Damyan, Beowulf, andredatele, ando, Anglagard44, Burkey, 12 invisible), 504 guests, and 491 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Parent asks for answers to test
#2424001 05/23/15 07:49 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
I received an email from a parent stating that my student has music test and didn't know answers for few questions in the study guide. They asked me to provide the answers. The last I checked, that would be called "cheating." I didn't respond.

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Parent asks for answers to test
chasingrainbows #2424006 05/23/15 08:26 PM
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I may be misinterpreting what the parent said, but it seems like they are asking for answers to the study guide, not the actual test.

Regards,

Polyphonist
chasingrainbows #2424025 05/23/15 09:53 PM
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
You could discuss this at the next lesson, and figure out what's what.

chasingrainbows #2424065 05/24/15 12:14 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Are you a school teacher? Is this a school test?

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
chasingrainbows #2424142 05/24/15 05:18 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What about asking the student to bring the study guide, and spend one lesson working through the study guide with the student, if parent and student are both in agreement?

I was once asked by a friend to help her son, who was studying for a music test at school. It turned out that the music teacher was actually something like a geography teacher who had been asked to teach music because she had once played piano. The boy was trying to memorize terms and definitions, but didn't really understand what many of the things were about. So I first taught him so he understood, and then he also knew how to study because everything fell in place.

Similarly, when I prepared for my RCM theory exams, my teacher spent an entire hour long lesson working with me through the sample exam. We didn't just go through getting the right answers. He also taught me this and that about music, how musicians use these things, and so on. So might this be an opportunity?

chasingrainbows #2424197 05/24/15 08:43 AM
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
I am the student's private piano teacher. The parents said the student was having a music test in school the "next day" and they needed answers to questions in the study guide.

chasingrainbows #2424214 05/24/15 09:37 AM

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I don't understand why you wouldn't help them understand what the study guide was asking.
The study guide is to help students prepare for tests isn't it?

If they can't answer or are confused about their answers in the study guide (or perhaps we could even call it a practice test?)...how can they possibly do the test well?

From what you've said the student was asking for help, not cheating.

Unless there is something about study guide I'm not understanding, I don't understand why you think this was a cheating strategy.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

chasingrainbows #2424241 05/24/15 10:55 AM
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
The study guides I've used had the answers to any "practice tests" in the back of the book, along with explanations of them, or a reference to where in the study guide the explanations were.

And as I matured I used the study guides earlier than the night before the test laugh But I digress.

So either the parents and students didn't understand the study guide and hadn't looked thru it and found the answers, or perhaps this wasn't a study guide, but some kind of homework maybe?

Yeah, if it was a study guide, I don't see it as cheating to ask for help, but I don't understand the need for "answers" because they'd be in the back of the book. Perhaps a need for help understanding the answers/concepts. But it seems to me texting is maybe a poor medium for understanding. And whatever your policy is for expecting instant responses to texts.

So I think there's some misunderstandings here, maybe.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
chasingrainbows #2424243 05/24/15 10:58 AM

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Lots of the exam preparation books available to my students don't come with the answer key. When I pick the books I try to select ones that have them but it seems when the schools choose, they get books without the key.

[Linked Image]

chasingrainbows #2424275 05/24/15 12:16 PM
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
How interesting, cas. How would a student know if they were wrong and needed to correct their understanding?

Will wonders never cease laugh Thanks for the info - I learn something new every day.

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
chasingrainbows #2424277 05/24/15 12:19 PM

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I don't know Jotur, I can only suppose it has to do with some idea of always working with a teacher.....but it never seems like a reasonable way to deal with training materials to me.

[Linked Image]

chasingrainbows #2424307 05/24/15 01:09 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I also don't understand why answering questions in the study guide could be considered cheating. These guides simply help students review what they have learned and they can ask for help about anything in these guides. My kids' theory books and test prep papers (old tests) come with no answer key, so the teachers go over all these in class, and of course kids can always ask questions via email...

chasingrainbows #2424470 05/24/15 09:19 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
I stand corrected, I guess. I could understand if I were prepping the student for exams or competitions, and we were working on a study guide. There are several other factors - there is a language barrier, so I'm not sure if the reason for the request is accurate, there were questions referring to the meaning of a particular symbol, but no symbol was given in the email. Some questions made no sense to me.

Also, I work in a music store and we are not highly paid. I go above and beyond with all of my students, but IMO, asking me to help them "asap" on a test the next day was rude and not appropriate. (We've exchanged very few words - they are fairly non-existent).

chasingrainbows #2424477 05/24/15 10:07 PM
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I'd agree about the last minute "asap" bit -

Cathy
chasingrainbows #2424521 05/25/15 03:29 AM

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Ah, well that's a different take, and I might be inclined to refuse the request too under those circumstances.

[Linked Image]

chasingrainbows #2424553 05/25/15 07:27 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think it's possible that the parent appeared to be making an inappropriate request exactly because it was last-minute and there was nothing else she could do. It's entirely possible that the kid realized that there were things that he/she didn't know and the test was the next day and he/she panicked and was stressed out, and the parent was trying to help the kid find a last straw--"let's ask your private teacher and see if he responds in time". What I'm saying is that an action that appears inappropriate to others might still be the best option for the person who did it. You don't need to help them in this case as it's not part of your responsibilities. But if you think about the possibility that this request could still be the best option for the parent under the specific circumstance, you would at least not be that annoyed.

chasingrainbows #2424559 05/25/15 08:03 AM
Holograph doctor syndrom. laugh

In Deep Space Nine there is a virtual holograph doctor: You push a button and he appears, saying "How can I be of service?" (or similar). When he's answered, you push the button and he vanishes. Since "he" is a program, he only exists when he is activated, and the only reason for his existence is to serve a medical need.

It is sometimes hard for people to envision that people providing a service: teacher, etc., are people with lives. In the employed world, you have your period at work, wearing your business clothes and business persona, and your period at home away from work. For the self-employed, it all blends together. And nobody wants to be seen as the Holograph teacher, instant available, and taken for granted that it will be so.

chasingrainbows #2424806 05/25/15 08:43 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
keystring, that made me smile. It's interesting that I recently sent a detailed email to all parents regarding my upcoming recital, asking that each recipient confirm whether or not they will attend. Out of 30+ students, I received 5 replies.

I should admit that for my "good" families (who have been with me for years, are respectful and not overly demanding, and are involved in their child's lessons) I tend to go over and above without a moment's hesitation. But in this instance, I felt that providing answers would constitute cheating. I'm from the old school. In college, if we even asked a classmate for help, it was considered cheating. I had a prof that I studied with in college and then for many years later. We still keep in touch, yet I hesitate to ask for advice. There seems to be a shift in our modern world where business is only discussed during business hours, and not during personal time.

chasingrainbows #2426920 05/30/15 12:30 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hmm, for me there are two things going on. The first is: is it cheating? No, to me it's not. It's a student reaching out to a teacher for a learning moment. It's not a test; it's a study guide and studying from studying guides can take many different forms, including being given the right answer in a tricky spot so the student can work out why it is the correct answer.

Now, the other thing that's going on is the intricacies of THIS teacher/student relationship. Teachers, of course, only engage above and beyond with a student when the student has demonstrated he or she is willing to go above and beyond with the teacher.

I get the sense this is not a student you feel particularly impressed by in terms of his or her dedication to the learning process at other moments, so something is making you not want to spend the extra time to help here.

So I support your decision not to do it, but not because it's cheating. I support your decision not to do it because these types of interactions are features of a different level of engagement between teacher and student you do not feel is present here and thus this student does not merit your extra time and effort.

Do I feel like in the ideal circumstance this is the kind of moment to bring that relationship to a different level, or maybe the student is reaching out to do the same? Maybe, but I guess I am taking seriously your immediate annoyance as evidence that this student is not someone who is either asking to engage further with you or is likely to respond to your efforts to do the same. As you know your student personally and I do not, I'll just have to trust you on that one. But consider briefly whether or not the student is looking to change course with you and become the kind of student who engages more deeply in the learning process. Consider it, but don't take me to say that this student definitely is doing so, only that it's worth thinking about for a moment before casting this one permanently into the heap of fee-paying but fungible student units.

chasingrainbows #2426938 05/30/15 01:45 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I agree with what TS has written above. Another issue that hasn't been raised is that when someone makes a simple request one of the possible simple answers is something along the lines of "I'm sorry, I can't help with that right now."

I think neither the request nor the OPs lack of interest in responding is out of line.

Learner
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland LX706 Review
by Colin Miles - 12/04/20 06:41 AM
Best Headphones for Digital Piano - your experience
by lukasz-zsakul - 12/04/20 05:10 AM
Is the Hailun 218 solid spruce?
by Sonepica - 12/04/20 04:55 AM
Schiff talked about Bartók's style of playing
by symphonicdance - 12/04/20 01:46 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,254
Posts3,030,353
Members99,467
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission