2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 20 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 19 20
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by blackjack1777

Chopin Nocturne performed by SwissMS - This is the piece that touched me the most. I was listening to this piece in my office and it was raining for the first time, in a very long time here in California, and something just came over me where I nearly cried. The playing filled me with more emotion than I can describe. I would love to play something like this in many years if I can get to this level of ability. The trills were amazing throughout and really touched me. Truly wonderful performance.

Thanks, blackjack! To know that my music touched someone deeply is the ultimate compliment!

Originally Posted by Barbaram
05. SwissMS/Doris - Nocturne in C# Minor
Beautiful piece, beautifully played. Your sensitivity here exceeds anything I’ve heard from you before, and my only advice is to go for even more of it.

Thanks, barabaram! Ah the red dot! I hope in person I can channel more emotion to the piece!

Originally Posted by SamS
05. SwissMS/Doris - Nocturne in C# Minor Loved the sound of your piano - you have a much newer Bechstein than I do! Also loved your sensitive playing - you handled all those extra notes and trills well.

Thanks, Sam. I love the Beckstein tone. Yours is beautiful as well. This piece is special to me, and I am glad that came through.

Originally Posted by AZ_Astro
Oh my goodness, two Chopin pieces in a row! I am so envious. And I am desperately in love with this Nocturne, as I am sure you are. Great job with those triplets and trills. Yes, keep this one in your repertoire and play it forever! You played with emotion and sensitivity and I loved listening. What a sublime ending. You should be proud of yourself! Wonderful!

Thank you so much for compliments. My trills are getting better, but I am still working on them!

Originally Posted by outo
Who wouldn't like this piece... Lovely singing tone in the melody and solid left hand. If you could work more on the parts that are not quite ready to get them more fluent it will be a lovely recital! The chords in the beginning sounded a bit abrupt, maybe add a little more sustain.

Thanks, outo. I have had another month with the piece and it feels more secure now. The chords in the beginning have 1/8 note rests between them, so I think they are supposed to sound a bit halting. I actually probably held them longer than Chopin had intended. I struggled over getting a good balance in this section. I would like them played legato too!

Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
05. SwissMS/Doris - Nocturne in C# Minor Beautiful nocturne! Try to think more about your phrases – sounds a little more like individual notes than a musical phrase in parts of the piece. Nice contrast between piano and forte. Smooth runs with your right hand. Good dynamics.

Thanks for you feedback! At the lento tempo, phrasing was one of my challenges. I am working on it!

Originally Posted by MarieJ
I’m in awe!

Thanks! You will be playing it yourself in a few years!

Originally Posted by Casinitaly
05. SwissMS/Doris - Nocturne in C# Minor Doris, what grace and elegance in your performance! We watched the video and it is a pleasure to watch your movements at the keyboard. This performance really demonstrates the skills you’ve been working on so hard over the past year – such control over those delicate passages, and the sweetest of trills. I find your playing truly inspirational. (Compliments from Mr. Casinitaly too – he enjoyed this as much as I did !)

Thanks Cheryl! You have seen my journey since I joined the ABF in 2011, and your feedback means a lot to me! I am glad that you can see the improvement.

Originally Posted by Tom Christain

After reading your comments in the YouTube video, I understand your "heart wrenching" comment now. A beautiful melody to celebrate the lives of Vanessa and KJ.

They were special family members, and are greatly missed. However, I have many happy memories!

Originally Posted by Elaine Allegro
05. SwissMS/Doris - Nocturne in C# Minor I really appreciate your videos. You clearly work hard to have so much control over the tone, and make the most of every motion – no wasted hand movements. A beautiful piece played well, and very inspiring!

Thank you very much for your comments. It is nice to hear that my teacher's hard work is paying off.

Originally Posted by Jytte
I did not expect to cry during the recital, but your dedication, the music, and your playing, hit me right in the heart. I too lost my canine companion of 16 years. Thank you Doris.

Thank you so much, Jytte. It means a lot that my music touched you. Losing our canine friends is so hard. I am sorry to here of your loss.

Originally Posted by Moonsh1ne
Heartfelt performance,

Thanks Moonsh1ne! I am glad the feeling survive the red dot!

Originally Posted by BillM
05. SwissMS/Doris - Nocturne in C# Minor So sorry about the loss of your pets. This is a wonderful, emotional rendition of this piece. Very well done.

Thanks BillM! Often memories of our family members, two legged or four legged, are good inspiration.

Originally Posted by Medden
SwissMS.
This is my favourite chopin nocturne. You did a great job. Loved the speed you played. I would agree with whoever else said maybe a little more legato in places. Just keep the sustain going until the next note is played. Very well played indeed. I could listen to this over and over.

I am glad that you enjoyed it! This nocturne has some unusual things about it, and two versions out there. The opening chords have 1/8 note rests between them, to give a halting effect. The 3/4 section is very flexible, often played dry, sometimes jazzy, or, dreamy. However, I did have some very obvious ghost notes in the left hand, which are probably what you caught. Darn 5th finger! Hopefully by my recital I will have it fixed. Thanks for the feedback!

Originally Posted by Riddler
Doris, that was gorgeous! It's my fav, too, and surely you did it justice! Great dynamics! Well done.

Thanks! I appreciate your feedback, because to me it still sounds like it has a long way to go!

Originally Posted by Cat_W
Love it! I would like to be able to play this too... but suspect it to be above my head. Thank you for your great performance. Next time we will hear Chopin's 2nd concerto from you. ;-)

Thanks for reviewing! You will be playing this piece before you know it!

Originally Posted by jotur
5. SwissMS – Nocturne – Ah, this was lovely. You have such a nice touch, and your ease shows up in those trills. Very soothing and excellently played. Have fun at your recital.

Thank you so much, Cathy! This piece was a challenge. And I will have fun at the recital in - eek!- two weeks!

johan d - I am sure you will be playing your list of favourites in a few years!

Originally Posted by CarlosCC
05. SwissMS/Doris - Nocturne in C# Minor - Dear Doris, having you as one of the major examples of how a (true) pianist should be, I was expecting something good, but your submission has exceeded all of my expectations! You're being better and better each recital - result of your work, accuracy, discipline and love for music. I'm very honored to have seen you playing live. My hat is off to you!!!

Wow! Thank you Carlos! Coming from someone as talented as you, it means a lot. I am also glad that I was able to meet you at last year's EPP!

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
02. MarieJ - Dietro Casa

I like your tempo and pacing. The balance of left and right hand sounds good. If there is one thing to pick on, it would be your articulation is too non-legato bordering on staccato, which is probably not the intention. You captured the mood of this piece well. Good job!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
06. CarlosCC - Le Onde I have grown to like Einaudi since his music started popping up at the Recitals. I always like your playing and your excellent recordings so this is a win-win for me. Loved it! It is great to hear a fellow self-learner play with such emotion and skill.

08. barbaram - Radio Ballet This piece is new to me and I’m glad you submitted this wonderful recording to the Recital. I like you playing style – powerful yet subdued. Nicely done – didn’t expect the somewhat abrupt ending but it is cool.

09. Monica K. - Tomorrow's Song Your selections are always perfectly suited for solo piano. This is a fine rendition of a lovely piece.

10. Newbert - Perhaps Love I am a huge John Denver fan and have several of his songs in my repertoire. I don’t know how I missed this one but it is terrific. Very nice job of bringing out the strong melody with your right hand octaves.

11. Anita Potter - Tambourin Spirited and lively performance. Quite an accomplishment after only 6 months.

12. Copper - Somewhere Out There An outstanding choice – one of my favorite tunes. Normally I’m not a big fan of synthetic strings but on your recording they sound good and serve to high light the melody.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member

I really like the melodic shape of the RH phrases. Good dynamics and drama for the RH. I feel you did a good job in conveying the mood of this. On the picky side, I am hearing a lot of tension, fairly labored trills, and a bit loud arpeggiated LH. I think you also may try to relax more and go for more rubato especially with forte to mp passages. On the whole it is really coming together nicely.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
13. Pianogrlnw - Spanish Dance - Oriental An enjoyable listen. Your piano has a lovely tone, especially in the lower registers.

14. dynamobt/Marilyn - Sonatine menuet 2nd movement Your hard work on this piece is paying off. A fine performance of a challenging piece.

15. noobpianist90 - Prelude in D Minor BWV 926 Your fingering at the 1:00 minute mark is a thing of beauty. Enjoyed your video and your performance.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
06. CarlosCC - Le Onde

Very smooth, very polished playing. Excellent pedaling. Nice tempo. I would only ask for a bit less compressed playing where the quiet moments need to be softer. Nice LH / RH balance. A pleasure to listen to.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thank you SwissMS, barbaram, Sam S, AZ_Astro, outo, PianoglrNW, MarieJ, casinitaly, Tom Christian, ElaineAllegro, jotur, BillM, Medden, Jytte, Cat_W and CarlosCC for listening and commenting my submission.
I hope I've not forgotten anyone.

I'm still working on the Allemande with my teacher, but unfortunately I will not play it at the live recital because... I will not participate at all. frown
Problem is that my second piece is not ready, and I'm not sure I can polish it in four weeks (now three). There is no backup plan, also.
This year, since both my children stopped piano lessons, I've no duet to play with them, and I don't want to go through the hassle of the recital with only one piece.

I decided ten or so days ago, and last week I informed the teacher.
I think she overrated my ability to have a piece performance ready in less than 4 months, considering that I'm not a fast learner (and it takes ages to me to polish pieces!).
Lesson learnt, for both of us!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
07. verqueue - Ballade F minor op. 52

I enjoyed listening to this thoroughly. I am amazed at the control you have with what sounds like a very small vertical. You are playing to the limits of this instrument and there is so much more you could do with the bass which the piano is preventing you. At one point I thought you were about to break the poor thing, but somehow it survived. I will try to watch the YouTube video link later when I have a chance to actually see the playing! Thanks for the treat!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Bit short of time lately, sorry for the waiting!

45 Dru morgan

Your choice of material gives away your age! This is darned good for the length of time you been playing. You`ll soon notice improvements along the journey. Have mucho fun!

44 Yamaha G2 + . . .Mike

The playing was quite dramatic with some great runs. Very good indeed.

43 Shirley Christian

Great sounding h`chord with a suitable piece of music. Nice nice! Hows that for tech feedback?

42 Sam S

I like most Bach, and this really sings on your ole Bechstein. Some intricate LH there. Lovely stuff.

41 Tom Christian

Very Tudor sounding. Like a medieval dance . . .An excellent listen,

40 Jotur Xathy

Joplin`s up and running. Well, there are no harsh edges on this, and it sounded right nice. Another piece I`d like to do, but (shrug) no time!

Only 39 to go! Might be finished before the next recital . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I haven't started commenting yet. But I'll give my feedback soon. To all of you.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 8 Octaves

I really like the melodic shape of the RH phrases. Good dynamics and drama for the RH. I feel you did a good job in conveying the mood of this. On the picky side, I am hearing a lot of tension, fairly labored trills, and a bit loud arpeggiated LH. I think you also may try to relax more and go for more rubato especially with forte to mp passages. On the whole it is really coming together nicely.

Thanks for your feedback. Under the glare of the red dot, I was not as relaxed as I would like to be. The trills are a continual work in progress. Hopefully they will get better every year. I have another month into this piece, and hopefully by live recital time it will be a little more polished! I appreciate your suggestions!

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
This is seriously difficult music, so you're doing really great. I am sure you've be just fine in another month. I'm very inspired by your motivation and hard work. Perhaps I'm even more critical of your playing than most, since where you are is what I aspire. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
17. Riddler (Ed) - Maria Ed – I’ve always been a fan of your work both in the Recitals and the Piano Bar. Your Maria is outstanding although I would have added a repeat or two as it was over far too soon. I love the clean sound of your solo piano work. Terrific

18. Jazztpt (Russ) - For Sam You appear to be as talented a photographer as you are pianist. Loved the pictures and the composition. Like Riddler above you guys set the standard for contemporary piano work in the Recitals and Piano Bars.

19. Moonsh1ne - Von Fremden Landern Und Menschen - Kinderszenen Op 15 No 1 You play with quiet restraint and bring out the simple beauty of this piece. Very nicely done!

20. Richard (zrtf90) - Sonata in F# Minor, Op. 25/5, first and second movements You, sir, are a real pianist. Very Impressive!!

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks to PianogrlNW, Tom Christian, casinitaly, Jytte, Elaineallegro, SwissMS, MarieJ, johan d, stumbler, barbaram, peterws for your comments.

Yup, ragtime has been/is a journey for me. I have, in some pieces, used 6ths instead of octaves - but I decided for the challenge here laugh And I do think my left hand is my strong point many times. But as Whizbang indicates, ragtime is *hard* - many more subtleties than one might at first suppose (like any other genre, really) so it's a good thing I like experimenting!

johan d - I haven't played them, but several people here have played pieces from Martha Mier Jazz, blues, and ragtime (someone will know the real title of that book) and they are really fun without being the all-out arrangements of Joplin. Might be worth looking in to a little down the line.

Thanks so much again, all. I have a few more to listen to, but I'll get there!

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Hi,
here is my next batch of comments:

13. Pianogrlnw - Spanish Dance - Oriental
Beautiful dance! Well done! :-)

14. dynamobt/Marilyn - Sonatine menuet 2nd movement
Never heard a piano piece from Ravel before! Great performance! Good luck for the recital!

15. noobpianist90 - Prelude in D Minor BWV 926
Oh, that piece brings a lot of memories back to me! I played it short after I returned to the piano as an adult. And the ornaments were killing me! I also spent a lot of time with the fast phrase in the end. I had to practice it in a dotted way in two versions which is great to approach a uniform and fast sequence. I use this technique nearly all the time. I can try to explain this in more detail if you want.
But coming back to your performance: I really liked it! Keep up the good work!

16. wouter79 - Swipesy Cake Walk
Wow! :-) That's great, wouter! What a punchy performance! I listened to it several times!

17. Riddler (Ed) - Maria
I only knew this as a song before! Thank you for this great performance!

18. Jazztpt (Russ) - For Sam
Such a fine piece for Sam! Well done: the composition and the performance! :-)

19. Moonsh1ne - Von Fremden Landern Und Menschen - Kinderszenen Op 15 No 1
Great! Schumann is one of my favorite composers! Thank you! I'm curious which piece will be the next one on your list.

20. Richard (zrtf90) - Sonata in F# Minor, Op. 25/5, first and second movements
Thank you for introducing me to these beautiful Clementi sonatas. I only knew about the sonatinas before!
Great performance! :-)

21. (Was)TrueBeginner - Letting Go
Nice composition from you! Keep up the good work! :-)

22. PikaPianist - L'Heure Exquise (original transcription)
Fantastic transcription and performance!

23. Greener / Jeff Green - 5th Symphony, SCHERZO (Partial)
You are on a good way. Continue the hard work! I'm looking forward to the whole movement. :-)

24. Peyton - The Climb
One could really feel the freezing temperature through your composition. Really nice way to keep up the memory to this sad lost!

S
S
Originally Posted by MarieJ
58. stumbler / Dave - Miniature
Simple, impressive - but it was over too quickly. I’d love to hear more.

Thank you Marie.

Originally Posted by SwissMS
58. stumbler / Dave - Miniature This is a lovely composition, with a lot of varying moods. Nice work!

Thanks SwissMS.

Originally Posted by torquenale
58. stumbler / Dave - Miniature Nice composition, really a short Miniature; I really enjoyed its peaceful feeling.

Thank you torquenale.

Roland RD-700NX

[Linked Image]
S
S

39. PaleBlueDot, Von fremden Laendern und Menschen - I too find the tempo markings for some of Schumann's works far exceed my level of ability. I still like the tempo of your playing, it has charm. You bring out the melody nicely. Lovely piece.

38. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning), Prelude op.28 no.15 D flat major - This is one of my favorite preludes. Very mature playing, it compares well to professional recordings of this piece.

37. BillM, A Time for Love/Bridge Over Troubled Waters - I haven't seen your presence for a while and wondered if you were OK. Great performance.

36. WimPiano, Op. 68 Album for the Young No. 16 - Erster Verlust - Not all of Schumann's works speak to me, but this is one that does. Very well done.

35. earlofmar, Sonatina in G, Op 36, No 2 - I think you are close to being able to play this to your satisfaction.

34. ElaineAllegro, From Holberg's Time, Opus 40 (I, II, V) - This piece is familiar and loved. I really enjoyed this.

33. 8 Octaves, Good Humored, op. 194, no. 4 - Well done, great phrasing.

32. Isabella, Beethoven Sonatina in G - You really captured the feel of this piece. It cheered me up listening.

31. peterws, Schumann 82 1 Eintritt - great playing, lots of subtlety.

30. Ganddalf, Rondo a-minor K.511 - this is far from boring. Lovely playing.

Roland RD-700NX

[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
blackjack - you picked some really great pieces and players - great role models and wonderful playing. It is such a treat to have such wonderful music.

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
A
A
my wonderful sister..lady Payne is sending me her zoom recorder.. so last recording with a cell phone! Yay;)

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530
T
T
Originally Posted by Augustina
my wonderful sister..lady Payne is sending me her zoom recorder.. so last recording with a cell phone! Yay;)

This is wonderful news. A Zoom recorder is not a "make do" solution. You are going to be amazed at the results. It's a perfect complement to your already-great playing.

Tom Christian
Yamaha C1
Roland RD-700nx
Hubbard (1769 Taskin) harpsichord
Page 10 of 20 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 19 20

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission