2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
88 members (anamnesis, 36251, AJB, BlakeOR, C. L., AndreaH, 20 invisible), 886 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
Anyone else struggle to play octave chords (e.g. D-F#-A-D in RH)?

A lot of my favorite musicians use these (Elton John, billy Joel) and I'd like to play them pain free. Any tips?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Is your hand fairly small?

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Is your hand comfortable on the octave alone? I have small hands but luckily have the octave without a problem. I also do not have a problem with your chord example. But some of the fingers have to be inside the black keys. To play it comfortably, I have thumb at the outer edge of the key, 5 just inside the black key area, 2 about halfway back to the fallboard, 3 even further in. This means my hand and forearm are at a slight angle in relation to the piano. That doesn't matter as long as the hand and arm are aligned with each other.

I have more trouble with octave chords that have minor thirds. Some of them I can manage carefully; others I just need to leave a note out or catch it with the other hand.

1989 Baldwin R
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Or, if your hand is smaller--you can try playing way outside. That's comfortable for me too and has the hand straighter in relation to the piano. For this, both 1 and 5 play on the outer edge, just their tips on the piano; 2 and 3 just inside the black key area. Just be sure that you are not twisting at the wrist--you want the forearm aligned pretty much behind the 3d finger.

When playing in the middle of the piano, you may need to move your forearm more in front of your body to avoid twisting.

1989 Baldwin R
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
What pain are you feeling? Where are you feeling the pain?

Poetry is rhythm
D
OP Offline
D
I don't have small hands. I can play a 9th in LH and an octave comfortably in RH.

The real chord that's giving me fits is G-Bb-D-G.

The pain I get is sort of a burning feeling after playing the chord for awhile. Then later that night or next day my forearm feels really tight.

I've always had problems playing blocked chords over and over. I'm not sure I ever release tension while playing them.

Last edited by DeadPoets; 05/12/15 08:21 PM.
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I wouldn't think G-Bb-D-G would normally cause problems. You can check alignment, making sure you're not twisting, also that your hand is in a natural shape without excessive curling of fingers or dropping of the wrist. Or maybe you are tensing your hand into a fixed position as you keep playing the same chord. You want it to relax except when in the act of playing.

It might be helpful if you can post a photo or video of your hand as you play the chord.

1989 Baldwin R
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Make sure the fingers do not lift any higher than the large knuckle where the fingers attach to the hand. (this is called "dead spider" in my studio)
That causes tension and pain on top of the forearm after a while.
Keep the hand in a very low arch, with that knuckle as the keystone of the arch, and the fingers resting on the keys.

Heather W. Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Beethoven - Diabelli Variations Op. 120
Beethoven/Liszt - Symphony no. 7
Tommy (whole show)

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by DeadPoets
I don't have small hands. I can play a 9th in LH and an octave comfortably in RH.

The real chord that's giving me fits is G-Bb-D-G.

The pain I get is sort of a burning feeling after playing the chord for awhile. Then later that night or next day my forearm feels really tight.

I've always had problems playing blocked chords over and over. I'm not sure I ever release tension while playing them.

Try lifting your wrist higher? It might be that your wrists are too low

Poetry is rhythm
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Whatever the positional issue you are having, bear in mind that the fingers are actually attached by tendons near your palm - not at the knuckles. They can work quite hard, but they work best when they are as straight as possible (not vertically, but in a front to back sense) from the palm to the first joint, and arched at the top to make use of the bone structure in the hand so you don't unnecessarily strain muscle.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Can you post a video?

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Anyone else struggle to play octave chords (e.g. D-F#-A-D in RH)?

A lot of my favorite musicians use these (Elton John, billy Joel) and I'd like to play them pain free. Any tips?

I'm wondering, given the musicians you mention, if you are talking about repeated, rapidly-played chords as opposed to playing individual four-note chords.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
OP Offline
D
In this case the chords aren't rapidly played and only repeated once.

I definitely do struggle though with playing repeated chords (even 3 note). They burn my forearms out after awhile.

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Meanwhile, DeadPoets, I hope you are stopping what you're doing the minute you feel any burning sensation. Or, if there's a sequence you know will lead to burning later, I wouldn't even get into it until you have figured out what's causing your problem. I wouldn't assume that the cycle of pain and recovery is predictable indefinitely. If you keep doing the harmful movement, things can shift without further warning into something that's harder to recover from (I know this from unhappy experience with computer use).

Your body is already sending distress signals, and you're wise to heed them!

1989 Baldwin R
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
In this case the chords aren't rapidly played and only repeated once.

I definitely do struggle though with playing repeated chords (even 3 note). They burn my forearms out after awhile.

A video would help if it's possible.

In the meantime:

Don't do anything that produces pain or the "burning" feeling.

Watch your alignment. If finger 3 (and in severe cases 2) are pointing diagonally toward finger 5 instead of straight forward, you will have tension and eventually pain.

Watch your arch. Don't let the fingers rise above the large knuckle.

Check that the wrist is loose and flexible by playing the chord and, while holding the chord, gently make circles and down-up movements with the wrist. With a 3-note chord, it should be easy to make smooth and gentle large movements. If you can't move the wrist at all, or the movements are jerky or tiny, you are tense. With a chord spanning an octave, sideways movement will be more limited, but up-down should still be possible smooth, gentle and large.

Try playing as relaxed and slowly as you can, verify that you can play the chords for a long long time relaxed and slowly with no trouble, stick with the slow relaxed pain-free approach for at least a week before pushing the tempo back up (and never push it up past the point where you can do it relaxed and pain-free.)

And if anything hurts or burns, do not power through. Resist the urge. Either stop and restart relaxed and pain-free, or if that's not possible then stop that task for the day.

Heather W. Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Beethoven - Diabelli Variations Op. 120
Beethoven/Liszt - Symphony no. 7
Tommy (whole show)

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Natural sharp sign?
by Brus - 05/17/22 06:15 AM
Such a great piece!
by Qazsedcft - 05/17/22 04:48 AM
A mysterious and irritating phenomena..
by Rallent - 05/16/22 11:14 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,111
Posts3,192,214
Members105,297
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission