2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
P
I wonder how the OPs getting on with the exams 3 years on!

paradice #2419690 05/12/15 01:39 PM
E
E
Originally Posted by paradice
I wonder how the OPs getting on with the exams 3 years on!

Looks like OP was last online here 1 year ago !!

C
C
Originally Posted by adultpianist
... Unfortunately, I was not able to do the exam at the school because there were not enough candidates so they had to postpone doing exams at the school and had to send students to the only other local place which is a rather dreary dull church hall with concrete floors and the room echoes and the instrument is an old upright piano which has very stiff keys which you really have to bang hard to make a sound. ... I can take it again if I have failed

I am really sorry you haven't pass the exam. I did take two exams so far and I also had to play on a different piano with very stiff keys. My feeling was that I could just gently press or hit hardly all keys and I could not recognise the difference between forte and piano. You can realise how bad was that! Yet, I was supposed to take exam playing that piano :\ So I know exactly what you mean here.

My advice before you take the next exam is read syllabus and find out what exactly you are expected to deliver or what exactly examiners want to hear from you. You may need to provide understanding about phrasing, ability to play legato forte or staccato piano etc., crescendo in longer passages, different accents at hands, that your hands are synchronized, shorter notes at one hand, and longer accents at the other. I am 100% certain examiners want to hear things like this. You just need to know exactly what it is and practise.

It's natural to make mistakes on exams and for that reason examiners may accept them. So IMO you can pass as long as you play what they need to hear! Of course you lose marks by making mistakes, but not so many to fail if you play with proper techniques.

I don't know anything about your school but it looks like they may not be able to give you proper preparation before the exam. Just a suggestion but how about finding an extra teacher, definitely examiner, for just one or two lessons to play those pieces for her and discuss your techniques?

Hope this helps

Last edited by Celdor; 05/13/15 03:20 AM.

Zbigniew

[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I'm a bit embarrassed to have dug this up, but seeing as I have...our OP posted this a couple of weeks later:

I would just like to say that I have just got my results and have passed my Grade 3 exam.

[Linked Image]
barbaram #2420006 05/13/15 09:01 AM
C
C
Originally Posted by barbaram
I'm a bit embarrassed to have dug this up, but seeing as I have...our OP posted this a couple of weeks later:

I would just like to say that I have just got my results and have passed my Grade 3 exam.

My understanding was audultpianist failed :p I am glad about the success and pass. I think my theory that examiners take everything into account, not only mistakes, is valid smile

Zbigniew

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission