2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
80 members (antune, anotherscott, A. Lucato, adamcz, Alex Hutor, Alfred La Fleur, Boboulus, 15 invisible), 1,017 guests, and 491 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2418973 05/10/15 01:37 PM
OP Offline
Hi...

I am currently a novice pianist and is learning to play some pieces that I deem qualified for my skills.. In my practice sessions, I find one thing that always hinder me into finishing that certain piece.

And that is, being bored of the piece (even if that piece is my favorite).

When learning the piece, it is necessary to repeat certain parts over and over until you master it right? this seems to be the problem because repeating the same melody over and over, I end up being tired of listening to that piece and being bored.

Question is,

How do you beat this boredom when playing a piece (esp. a difficult piece) when you have to repeat the piece over and over to create mastery?

And if possible, could you share me some thought regarding the correct practice methods or practice structure?

Thank you Senseis

Sincerely, a noob.

[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Freepoul :

Welcome to Piano World.

You should post your question either in the Pianist Corner or in the Adult Beginners Forum. This forum is primarily concerned with the design, manufacture, and marketing of pianos.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Welcome to Piano World. First off, this subforum is mainly to talk about pianos themselves. "Do you think my blown-out spinet from the 60s is worth something?" and all that. There is a dedicated subforum, the Pianists Forum, where you might get more focused replies.

From my own experience, I have found that intentionally trying to play the passage differently at times helps add variety and new dimension to the challenge of mastering it. It's often easy to get stuck in a rut, simultaneously playing the same piece all the time even if you're sick of it. If you add new twists to HOW you play, it will provide better mental contexts for the notes themselves. Hope this helps!

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
Try and choose works that you love so much that your patience is less likely to wear out. Some pieces may have a great immediate appeal but the appeal wears thin. If possible choose pieces you like that are also generally considered very great works.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/10/15 03:56 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
If you have how you want a passage to sound in your head, listening to whether what your fingers produce matches that, and figuring out what to do to make it happen, becomes more interesting.

Conceptualize. Listen. Diagnose. Fix. (Play is in there somewhere. 😀)

Working too long on one piece, or not enough different pieces at the same time, can be tedious. In other words, shorter practice on a greater variety of pieces can be more interesting and effective.

You might like learning improvisation.

If you are working with a teacher, don't let us step on your teacher's toes, however.

Last edited by WhoDwaldi; 05/10/15 03:04 PM.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi FreepouL,

I think it is an unfortunate reality that piano practice is work, and what I mean by that is the rewards are delayed. What one can do though is look at what makes normal jobs bearable, as in having a nice work environment and the right tools [the more satisfying one's piano is, perhaps the better - but not necessarily], and regular breaks.

What eventually happens is that one psychologically adjusts and comes to like the work involved. It needs time, though, and one builds gradually.

And eventually it becomes more than even that, depending on the music one is working on and how much one cares for it. Just like an archaeologist handling an ancient Greek amphora, one starts to feel a bit intrinsically unworthy to do such a thing - and then one becomes spiritually handled by the Amphora, or the great music, and that is where the real joy begins. And this psychological transformation can happen at any skill level - it is accessible to you, me, and anyone else, and not only to the truly great pianists.

That last paragraph is just a personal insight about where the road leads. First one needs to make the work bearable and grow to like it, and as with many things the hardest stage can be the first one. It can happen that just motivating oneself to sit down and practice is the hardest thing in the world, but one has to push through this and accumulate psychological stamina when afterwards one is glad for having done it. Decide to just practice for five minutes, and at the end decide you'll do it just five minutes more before stopping, et c. And before long all of those minutes add up.

I know, it is easier said than done.

I hope this helps!

K
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
K
That is a terrific post Michael.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
Rebuilding & Sales - vintage and used Steinway, Mason & Hamlin
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Baldwin
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman

Thanks Keith!

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
If you are bored, it means you are not improving. Focus on improving and you will not be bored.

Poetry is rhythm
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Some great advice already - like yours particularly, Michael.

Maybe it could be that what you're learning is more difficult than your playing standard? Yes, I do that all the time - hear something and decide that I NEED to learn it - then realise that it's beyond my current standard. I'd have been better to keep on with the pieces which I've got half-learned already.

You might want to look at shorter pieces or maybe pieces which are less difficult - and allow your standard to gradually improve.

There are a number of discussions (primarily on the Pianist Forum) like this one which may help:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...atively%20easy%20but%20great%20pian.html

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by backto_study_piano
Some great advice already - like yours particularly, Michael.

Maybe it could be that what you're learning is more difficult than your playing standard? Yes, I do that all the time - hear something and decide that I NEED to learn it - then realise that it's beyond my current standard. I'd have been better to keep on with the pieces which I've got half-learned already.

You might want to look at shorter pieces or maybe pieces which are less difficult - and allow your standard to gradually improve.

There are a number of discussions (primarily on the Pianist Forum) like this one which may help:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...atively%20easy%20but%20great%20pian.html

Very much this!

The major reason for getting bored is that the piece is too far beyond your current level of ability, so you end up overpracticing it just to be able to play it. You would be much better served by getting some pieces that are easier, but contain the techniques and skills you need to play these more difficult pieces. Then, when you have gained more skill, you can tackle those pieces with more focus on the musical aspects rather than the technical aspects.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Indeed!

Gary
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Plowboy

Indeed!

Thanks again! grin

C
C
Wow Michael,

That's a great post. I filed that one away for future use.

Well done............blob

KAWAI RX-3 BLAK
YAMAHA GRANTOUCH GT1
OP Offline
Oh I'm really sorry for posting this on the wrong thread. I just started in this forum.. Thank you for all the help!

[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FreepouL
Oh I'm really sorry for posting this on the wrong thread. I just started in this forum.. Thank you for all the help!

No need to apologise.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
Isn't this signature free advertising and against the forum rules?
Moderators?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Carbonblob
Wow Michael,

That's a great post. I filed that one away for future use.

Well done............blob

Thanks everyone!

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by FreepouL
When learning the piece, it is necessary to repeat certain parts over and over until you master it right? this seems to be the problem because repeating the same melody over and over, I end up being tired of listening to that piece and being bored.

This may seem counterintuitive: The way to not get bored with the melody is to practice in smaller sections, phrases or even half phrases, so that you're drilling in on parts of the melody, not the whole thing. It will be even more boring, but you won't be bored with the melody itself, just with tiny pieces of it. Then when you run the whole thing, the actual melody is less stale to you.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai upright shortage in Canada?
by DeeZee - 09/19/21 05:55 PM
Korg SV-1 Sustain Pedal problem
by Herwiberde - 09/19/21 02:46 PM
JoJo Siwa's Baldwin grand
by ShiroKuro - 09/19/21 01:50 PM
Opinions on the CA49 for classical piano music only ?
by GaiaImpact - 09/19/21 01:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,190
Posts3,133,566
Members102,770
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission