Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
114 registered members (anotherscott, Amedeus, AZ_Astro, ando, Alex C, 21 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Brilliant but Stubborn #2412770
04/22/15 09:38 AM
04/22/15 09:38 AM
North Carolina
Angela62213 Offline OP
Angela62213  Offline OP

North Carolina
Hey there everyone!
I have a child who is an absolute natural at playing the piano. I have had her for 6 months (she was a transfer) and before that she had only taken for 2-3 months with her previous teacher. At this point she is finished with the level one Faber book and has completely skipped level 2A and is making her way through level 2B at an above average rate but still having enough difficulty that I think this is the level for her.

My problem is that when she cannot just read something she gets frustrated and thinks she can't do it and so getting her to practice regularly is a challenge. Even in lessons getting her to slow the difficult section down to a point that it is accessible to her current ability is really difficult. However, when she does practice and "gets into it" she progresses more quickly than any student I have and she really enjoys it.

How can I get her to see that if she just slows down much the difficulty will be eliminated and she will be able to progress easily? She is brilliant and fun to teach when she feels confident (and is one of my few students who really gets into "interpreting" their music).

Just a side note, she is 9 so I understand that some of this may be her age.

"Prayer is when you talk to God, Meditation is when you are listening, Playing the piano allows you to do both at the same time"
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Brilliant but Stubborn [Re: Angela62213] #2412779
04/22/15 10:25 AM
04/22/15 10:25 AM
Brussels, Belgium
S
Saranoya Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Saranoya  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S

Brussels, Belgium
If you will forgive me for butting in (because while I may be a teacher, I don't teach piano, and I only deal with kids as young as this one on Sundays during cub scout meetings), I have a suggestion that may or may not prove useful to you.

Give her something that you're sure she cannot read at first (or second, or third) sight, but that you are also reasonably sure she will be able to play within a week (or less) with regular (slow) practice.

Then give her a "practice calendar", on which she gets to color in a smiley face (or some similar system) whenever she has done one of the things you want her to do each day. For example:

- practiced measures x to y slowly (is she old enough to use a metronome?) x times
- played this tricky right-hand measure x times without mistakes

(fill in as you see fit)

If you think the parents will, get them to "sign off" on the practice sheet each day, just to make sure she will do the things you told her to do in the way you told her to do them. And tell your student up front: this piece is too difficult for you to read right now, but if you do these things every day, I promise you'll be able to play it by your next lesson. If I'm wrong, we'll try something else, but you have to promise me that you'll try it this way first, for just one week.

(If she is *not* one of those kids who will eschew reading in favor of memory once they've heard something played, you could perhaps demonstrate the piece for her in the lesson in order to make it more attractive).

If you choose the music and the practice goals right, and if she loves music (which it sounds like she does), then the ability to play something with practice that she couldn't play before, should be all the reward she needs.

Of course, if you do this, you have to be *very* sure that the piece you pick is in fact far enough out of her reach that she won't be able to play it on the third straight play-through at home. Yet it should not so far out of her reach that following your instructions will *not* result in her being able to play it within a week ...

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
Re: Brilliant but Stubborn [Re: Angela62213] #2412782
04/22/15 10:27 AM
04/22/15 10:27 AM
Olympia, Washington, USA
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member
John v.d.Brook  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted by Angela62213
How can I get her to see that if she just slows down much the difficulty will be eliminated and she will be able to progress easily?

That's the 64 million dollar question of the ages. If you can find an answer, copyright it and retire a very rich lady!

Seriously, I have teens, whom I've taught since day one, who cannot grasp this concept, even though we go over it lesson after lesson. My suspicion is that's it's due to a mix of immaturity, lack of experience, and know-it-all-ism which is a defining characteristic of being a child.

On a practical note, I spend an inordinate amount of lesson time working with students precisely that way, so we can solve these technical problems. Students progress. My hope is that one day, the light will dawn.

In the meantime, best wishes!

John

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Re: Brilliant but Stubborn [Re: Angela62213] #2412802
04/22/15 11:14 AM
04/22/15 11:14 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
One word: metronome.

All of my "brilliant" students are instructed to use the metronome, heavily. I don't have a problem asking them play the entire piece through with the metronome, eliminating all the tempo changes. We use the metronome during lessons. I demonstrate how to play slowly with the metronome.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Brilliant but Stubborn [Re: Angela62213] #2412842
04/22/15 01:29 PM
04/22/15 01:29 PM
UK
Nikolas Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Nikolas  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

UK
I can testify to what AZN says on many accounts!

And now with smart phones you can get a free metronome wherever you are! :P

Re: Brilliant but Stubborn [Re: AZNpiano] #2412889
04/22/15 04:03 PM
04/22/15 04:03 PM
Olympia, Washington, USA
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member
John v.d.Brook  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

All of my "brilliant" students are instructed to use the metronome, heavily. I don't have a problem asking them play the entire piece through with the metronome, eliminating all the tempo changes. We use the metronome during lessons. I demonstrate how to play slowly with the metronome.

Yes, it works great in the studio, but how do you get students to use one at home? In this, I've had very limited success.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Re: Brilliant but Stubborn [Re: John v.d.Brook] #2413313
04/23/15 11:32 PM
04/23/15 11:32 PM
J
jc111 Offline
jc111  Offline
J

Metronome + voice recording apps work great with my 10-year-old, electronic-device-obsessed boy. thumb

He got assigned Allegro in F major by Haydn weeks ago. The first week he played it FAST because it said "Allegro" crazy . Then his teacher asked him to practice with metronome and wrote down the speed he should practice with. I let him use a small tablet with a metronome app and later he started to record his practicing with the metronome beat. Of course he experiments with various speeds laugh . He had great fun practicing and got much better the next lesson wink . This week he starts to wean off using metronome and it sounds pretty even to me.

Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

Yes, it works great in the studio, but how do you get students to use one at home? In this, I've had very limited success.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai ES110 dissasembly
by RodrigoPon. 10/23/18 10:48 AM
Young Chang still providing action brackets??
by Rich Galassini. 10/23/18 10:21 AM
Piano environment monitoring
by Chris Snyder. 10/23/18 09:57 AM
Basic Canon Practice - Mary Had a Little Lamb
by LooneyTune. 10/23/18 09:45 AM
unbalanced lineout to balanced xlr speaker in?
by varignet. 10/23/18 09:40 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,952
Posts2,754,924
Members91,316
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission