Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
96 registered members (agraffe, AnthonyPaulO, Bean23, 36251, anotherscott, Albert Brighten, AWilley, 24 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Value of my Yamaha P2 Upright #241314
11/07/07 07:40 PM
11/07/07 07:40 PM
New Jersey
J
Jasmin Offline OP
Jasmin  Offline OP
J

New Jersey
I have a walnut Yamaha P2 Upright, Serial # 2825418 that was manufactured in Japan. Their logo is on the side of the piano. Does anyone have any idea as to what it's value is now?

It's in excellent condition & I'd like to try to sell it to someone who appreciates the Yamaha brand.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Value of my Yamaha P2 Upright #241315
11/08/07 12:49 AM
11/08/07 12:49 AM
westcoast
H
Hoaglie Offline
Hoaglie  Offline
H

westcoast
Jasmin--
Hello and welcome to forum. The closest comps I could find in your area on craiglist were an oak '93 P22, Georgia made, asking 3000 in Central, NJ. And in North Jersey, a Georgia made ebony 45" Yamaha, a bit older, asking 2500. (Remember, we don't know what actual sales price will be) Your P2 was made in '79, older yet, but since it was made in Japan, that helps. On ebay a dealer is selling walnut 1986 P2, exellant shape, five year guarantee, with buy it now price of 3400, no bids yet, and 12 hours left, don't think it's going anywhere fast.
Problem with 3000-2500 price on these pianos is that you can buy new 48" Palantino for nearly same amount, plus most buyers in category are looking for Yamaha U1, U3, U5. Not that there's anything wrong with P2, etc., but . . .
Your question about value? Impossible to say until you sell it (especially since we can't see it). But let's take Mr. Blankenship's accurate retail estimate of 2995 (we're assuming P2 is in excellant condition). Rick Jones Piano(they handle a lot of used Yamahas) might get that much, but then they have ten year guarantee, and excellant condition. Check their pictures to see their idea of excellant condition. (Still, you'd be surprised how much Jones and other retailers lop off posted price to move pianos)
Okay. Let's take accurate wholesale price of 1500. Hopefully, you can get more than that, but you really don't know until you put piano up for sale and start getting offers and healthy dose of market reality.
Try listing on craiglist or ebay (PW also has listing service) and see what happens. Wouldn't hurt to start at 3000, in case some madcap with penchant for '79 p2 comes along. Take good pictures (refer to Jones website), serial number, and say piano made in Japan. Do everything to make piano look good and give all pertinent info. Keep checking area craiglist for similiar piano, try to get actual sales price, if possible. If after week or two, highest offer is 2000 (you never know, could be more or less, cross fingers) then use best judgement. Pianos are usually easier to buy than sell.
Who knows? Maybe someone will see listing and ask forum for advice. (Hoaglie scratches head) Dang. Better delete that crack about retail price. Anyway, good luck.

Re: Value of my Yamaha P2 Upright #241316
11/09/07 05:50 PM
11/09/07 05:50 PM
Jennifer Flinn Offline
Jennifer Flinn  Offline

Dear Jasmin,
Hoaglie has some good advice. Definitely make the piano look as clean and neat as possible. Also, I checked Yamaha website and found that your piano was made for the North American market. Some people are leary of buying used Yamaha's from Japan believing that they are "grey market" and not intended for use in the U.S. As far as value, it's hard to determine what your area of NJ would bring. I would look in your local paper as well as on Craig's List and EBay. Here on the West Coast it would probably bring about $2500 -$3000.

Co-author of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Buying a Piano. I work for a West Coast dealer that carries Bosendorfer, Schimmel, Vogel, Wm. Knabe, and Yamaha.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What PianoWorld has cost me...
by David B. 03/26/19 07:48 PM
Rock School Breakdown?
by stevechris. 03/26/19 05:07 PM
Which Yamaha model?
by Azzawaba. 03/26/19 04:48 PM
CP88
by quindecima. 03/26/19 04:37 PM
Story & Clark Console - Worth Investing in?
by Bean23. 03/26/19 04:19 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,148
Posts2,811,207
Members92,886
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission