2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Hello,
anybody willing to share? I cleaned and polished them but they get darker and duller after a while. Should I paint with some bronze powder stuff and then lacquer, or just lacquer? Thanks in advance for any advice!

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
After cleaning and polishing the brass surface spray a clear coat of acrylic lacquer on it. That will seal the surface and slow down the rate of formation of tarnish.

For the last two decades Steinway NY has been coating the action frames with plate gold. I think it looks silly.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
J
OP Offline
J
Thank you, Ed. It's exactly what I wanted to know.

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT

For the last two decades Steinway NY has been coating the action frames with plate gold. I think it looks silly.

A lot like those replacement Young Chang action brackets, I suppose.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Once heat touches the rails for soldering, the rails at the solder joint discolor from the heat. Some approach is aesthetically necessary to take the "burnt" look away. The gold paint approach is dumb looking, but way less expensive than blasting with fine bead. The fine bead dresses them up quite nicely, but is quite time consuming. 2 coats clear Brass lacquer keeps them looking swell.

Take care not to touch the polished rails with your fingers, until they have been lacquered. The finger prints will tarnish right quick...though, to be honest, the only ones who actually care about how these rails look in service are the resident action termites, dust bunnies and the occasional compulsive tech. That said, I polish my S&S frames after fine bead blasting. This because the polish is almost the only thing anyone ever notices...sigh

Jim Ialeggio
www.grandpianosolutions.com
advanced soundboard and action redesigns
978 425-9026
Shirley Center, MA
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Muriatic acid will remove oxidation and discolor from the brass rails quickly. Including the mess from soldering.
(weak solution of hydrochloric used in swimming pools for ph balance)

You need GOOD ventilation.

Clean the rails with water several times afterward.

Do not leave an open container of the acid out, the fumes will discolor the brass. Make sure all materials are properly disposed immediately afterwards.

I use Flitz to bring up the luster. Two coats of clear lacquer to finish it.

To me, bead blast is nice, but dull. Not really the look I am going for. It is quick though.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Medium bead, I agree I don't particularly care for. Fine bead at 50lbs, glancing blow, followed by fine steel wool tickles my client's OCD. It brings up a nice polish.

I haven't tried muriatic acid...nasty stuff, but so is soldering with choride based flux and lead solder. Can't win with these babies. Always done in the paint room, big fan on, positive pressure ventilated hood.

Jim Ialeggio
978 425-9026
Shirley Center, MA
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Larry,
How do you keep the Muriatic acid from destroying the wood in the rails and the let-off buttons?

I do a very light and rapid bead blast with the flange screws in the holes and the buttons taped off with duct tape. I kind of like the satin finish. The gloss shows fingerprints. Acrylic lacquer is very hard and thin.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
J
OP Offline
J
I have blasting equipment, but it has soda in it. Probably not the right stuff. I am in fact going to resolder the whippen rail.

Thanks for the advice!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yeah...I change between fine bead and soda, depending on the stock. Soda does not work well on metals, but likes wood. Bead does not do well with wood, but likes metals. Bead @ 50-55 lbs, soda @ 25-30 lbs

Fine bead is a pain to feed as it tends to cake, but I still greatly prefer the result to medium bead.

Jim Ialeggio
978 425-9026
Shirley Center, MA
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ed,

I use Q tips and small brushes(hair). You are right, keep it off the wood.
Brass brush on the cast brackets.

The acid works quickly. Working a series of small areas lets me control the process.

Larry

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
J
OP Offline
J
Hello again! I got hold of som acid, 50ml. But I am not sure what the procedure is when using it. I'll solder the whippen rail. Anybody willing to take the time go describe this in more detail? Thanks! I mean how to use the acid.

Last edited by jinorden; 06/04/15 03:32 AM.
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
You can read Larry Bucks post's above for a start.

Wear acid proof gloves, goggles and head covering. If you need to dilute the muriatic acid remember to always pour the acid into water not water into the acid. Strong acid solutions can blow up into your face if you add water to them. Have a container of water close by for emergency rinse. Do the work outdoors if possible and wear disposable clothes.

Do use gloss acrylic lacquer as the clear coat. It makes for a more durable coating and is less thick. You can buy spray cans of it at most hardware stores.

Last edited by Ed McMorrow, RPT; 06/05/15 12:47 AM. Reason: correct typo

J
OP Offline
J
Hello Ed,
thanks! I always read everything very carefully, so nothing goes wasted on me! smile But I was thinking more like do I solder first and then apply acid on still hot rails or wait for them to cool off? Or before soldering? Should I use the usual soldering paste, or is the acid instead of that?

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Clean the action frame after all soldering is done. Wait for it to cool. Do not get acid in the screw holes.

J
OP Offline
J
Got it! Thanks a lot, Ed! I got through all the answers I received and realized I missed to thank Jim and Larry for very detailed advice.

Last edited by jinorden; 06/06/15 12:26 AM.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission