2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Originally Posted by Robert 45
I have my piano tuned 4-5 times a year. I love the clarity and warmth of sound from a well tuned piano. I also have a de-humidifier running all the time as a protection from Auckland's humid climate.

You put me to shame - I'm too cheap to protect against Auckland's sometimes-humid climate. More than two tunings per year would feel extravagant and would be difficult to organise unless I started having the tuner visit while I'm at work - is this common?
The tuner has told me of some wealthy clients with air-conditioned homes whose pianos are very stable as a result. I doubt these people are running their air conditioning all year round for the benefit of a consumer-grade upright though!

Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
This is a great little book that helps consumers understand more about their instrument:
Piano Technicians Guide to the Piano Owner

You mean 'Piano Technicians Guide FOR the Piano Owner'. Otherwise we'd be talking about an amusing book compiled from technician accounts about all of the crazy things piano owners do. Loctite on the tuning pins, orienting the piano toward magnetic north to improve string vibration, holding their breath while playing so as not to expose the soundboard to excess humidity..

Last edited by Ben_NZ; 04/15/15 03:09 AM.

2014 Kawai K-500
1920s Sir Herbert Marshall Sons & Rose upright
Kurzweil PC3LE8 stage piano with Pianoteq 7
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I have a Dampp-Chaser installed. In the coldest months, I also have a room humidifier (which is a pain to fill and clean).

I get a tuning once or twice a year.

Just had a regulation, at least as far as it was even possible. The original wippens (1928) are showing their age, but I can't afford new wippens (need hammers/shanks too). A whole new action, really. The money just isn't there.

Maybe I should start a kickstarter campaign?

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by ZBGM0
No. 1 thing for me is that piano is constantly exposed to 52%-54% RH. NO SWING. Never. For me swings are NOT allowed. Number 51 % and 55 % are not welcomed. For me this is 99 % of taking care of piano.

It varies from piano to piano. Some benefit greatly from museum quality stable humidity. Others are stable without humidity control. My tech talked me out of putting a damp chaser on the Knabe, as it holds up just fine without....

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
For me, I am not so obsessed with how much tuning per year. I really couldn't care less.

No. 1 thing for me is that piano is constantly exposed to 52%-54% RH. NO SWING. Never. For me swings are NOT allowed. Number 51 % and 55 % are not welcomed. For me this is 99 % of taking care of piano.

Even if it wasn't tuned for 2 years...so what... you can always tune it or regulate it especially IF you have stable RH. BUT wood of the piano will not be so much happy anymore if your piano will be constantly exposed to big humidity swings, even if you tune it 10 times a year.
My guess is that very few people can keep RH within such a small range even if they use a Dampchaser(which as I understand it only affects the RH near the soundboard), humidifier, air conditioning, etc. Perhaps it's possible in some locations but probably not in the north east.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/15/15 05:59 PM.
Z
Z
I also don't have damp chaser. My room is really never dry, even in winter. I only have dehumidifier, which I only need to use it in summer wet days, sometimes also on November days.

Z
Z
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
For me, I am not so obsessed with how much tuning per year. I really couldn't care less.

Even if it wasn't tuned for 2 years...so what... you can always tune it or regulate it especially IF you have stable RH. BUT wood of the piano will not be so much happy anymore if your piano will be constantly exposed to big humidity swings, even if you tune it 10 times a year.
My guess is that very few people can keep RH within such a small range even if they use a Dampchaser(which as I understand it only affects the RH near the soundboard), humidifier, air conditioning, etc. Perhaps it's possible in some locations but probably not in the north east.

You agree with you. Most people live (on this forum) in environment where they struggle to be within 10 % swing, even if they use humidifiers, dehumidifiers, damp chasers etc.

I on the other hand can be within 3-4 % very easy, because I live in environment and a house where swings really aren't big. I don't even need to use any kind of device to stay within 3-4 % for 85 % of the year, just good control with opening the windows.

EXCEPTIONS are summers, the RH (in my piano room) would normally rise from 51-54 % to 68%. In this time I just need to use dehumidifier which is extremely important. I can't even imagine being without dehumidifier on rainy summer days.

Last edited by ZBGM0; 04/15/15 06:58 PM.
OP Online Content
You agree with you. Most people live in environment where they struggle to be within 10 % swing, even if they use humidifiers, dehumidifiers, damp chasers etc.

I on the other hand can be within 3-4 % very easy, because I live in environment and a house where swings really aren't big. I don't even need to use any kind of device to stay within 3-4 % for 85 % of the year, just good control with opening the windows.

EXCEPTIONS are summers, the RH (in my piano room) would normally rise from 51-54 % to 68%. In this time I just need to use dehumidifier which is extremely important. I can't even imagine being without dehumidifier on rainy summer days.
So where do you live?

Z
Z
Hi, middle Europe

but I am not so sure the continent / country / climate zones are all that is important, I believe it is especially specific "micro" location and the walls of a house. I also don't have big piano room which makes it much easier to control than large piano rooms. Try to lower or raise RH in a very big room: it will not be easy. Many factors are probably there that we don't even normally consider. My friend (piano tuner) lives only about 60-70 km away from me and he complains about dry winters which I really don't experience.

Last edited by ZBGM0; 04/15/15 07:15 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I really believe stable RH is the key.

I tend to agree with this. I control the humidity in the room meticulously, and aim to keep it in the range 58-60%. I am pretty successful with this; the humidity only occasionally strays a percent or two outside this range, and then only for a short time. And the result seems to be that even with over-long intervals between tunings of 2 years (which I feel guilty about!), the basic pitch of the piano holds nicely constant at A=440.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I also don't have damp chaser. My room is really never dry, even in winter. I only have dehumidifier, which I only need to use it in summer wet days, sometimes also on November days.

I also rely on my dehumidifier to prevent excessive humidity. The house has central heating, with no air conditioning. But I use the heating in the piano room sparingly, and not at all on frosty winter nights. I personally don't mind the piano room being a little chill in winter. I find that I can control the humidity very nicely by adjusting the humidistat setting on the dehumidifier, and the radiator setting. I am in London, by the way.

WOW! It took me 2 days to figure out that RH meant Relative Humidity, not Right Hand, and Swing wasn't a style of playing the piano!

Your post make sense to me now (embarrassed)

Words seem to get in the way of the message.
Fingers seem to get in the way of the piano.
Z
Z
Originally Posted by David-G
I really believe stable RH is the key.

I control the humidity in the room meticulously, and aim to keep it in the range 58-60%. I am pretty successful with this; the humidity only occasionally strays a percent or two outside this range, and then only for a short time. And the result seems to be that even with over-long intervals between tunings of 2 years (which I feel guilty about!), the basic pitch of the piano holds nicely constant at A=440.

Same thing here. Now it is 9 months since my piano was tuned the last time and I really don't have any wish to call my tuner at this moment. And saying this, I don't believe I am neglecting my piano as "not being serviced enough", though many people will disagree with me.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by RealPlayer
I have a Dampp-Chaser installed. In the coldest months, I also have a room humidifier (which is a pain to fill and clean).

[...]

Then you should invest in a (couple of?) Venta Airwasher humidifiers.

https://www.venta-airwasher.com/

Easy to fill, easy to clean; they are the best humidifiers on the market, in my experience.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I play my piano, and have it tuned once a year. It holds its tune remarkably well (it's a Yamaha).

Also, I often play with the silent system.

I don't know about most piano owners.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
Then you should invest in a (couple of?) Venta Airwasher humidifiers.

https://www.venta-airwasher.com/

I have one.
I make sure that the relative humidity does not sink below 40% on average; which is difficult since in winter, when I open the window, the RH sinks well below 35%. After closing the window and turning on the Venta it's above 40% pretty quickly.

In summer sometimes the RH is above 60%. I don't have a damp chaser, and don't want one. But so far, my piano has not gone out of tune too badly after summer.

Last edited by patH; 04/17/15 05:13 AM.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I haven't had my piano tuned, yet. It was delivered on January and I'm waiting for the heat to come (here, late Spring is already hot) to see how well it holds tuning.

What I'm worried about is that I usually go away for a month in August, and the house remains locked and hot(slightly more than 25ºC average). RH here is around 65%. Before going on summer vacation, during June and July a cooler will be working the whole afternoon.
Windows face SW so it's a must smile

So, I'll have changes in temperature and RH for the entire summer, between warm night/mornings and 'fresh' afternoons. In this conditions, is it worth to have the piano tuned on, say, May?

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mabraman
... So, I'll have changes in temperature and RH for the entire summer, between warm night/mornings and 'fresh' afternoons. In this conditions, is it worth to have the piano tuned on, say, May?

Here, just outside Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, summer temp max can vary from 25C to 38C and winter much more mild up to about 25 max with min down below 10C. RH can vary all year from 20s to 99, with the highest in summer.

I have been advised to have mine serviced between seasons - October & April approx.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Thanks for the advice.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
I'm glad I can tune my own piano= although I'm on pins and needles when I do and will probably call in a tech if I break a string. I'm finding the frequency is settling down as I go- When I started last Fall, I had to retune several times- the last tuning recorded in the piano was 1993. I think my ear got better the whole time and demanded a better standard each time-

I haven't tuned now for a couple of months- I can hear one note a bit off right now- so I'll probably try to get to that soon and see how much out the others may be- I think it'll take me about an hour, and I probably won't tune again until the Fall-

I can't imagine playing an instrument I can't tune myself otherwise

T
T
I have mine tuned about 2 times a year. I keep my home temp very stable all year long, but have two very large water wall fountains in the house. Even when not in use, the evaporate about 1-1/2 gallons per unit each week. My tech says it is not damaging the piano. I hope he's correct.

Marriage is like a card game, you start with two hearts and a diamond, later you wish you had a club and a spade!
Yamaha G7 Yamaha CVP75 digital, Allen 3500 theater organ
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission