Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Hand Crafted Key Holder
Made From Real Piano Keys
By our resident crafter Kathy, right here at Piano World headquarters in Maine.

Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
111 registered members (Amedeus, Andrewski, ando, amad23, 23 invisible), 748 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! #2411800
04/19/15 03:15 PM
04/19/15 03:15 PM
Seattle Area
M
Markarian Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Markarian  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
M
Seattle Area
Hi all,

So I have noticed that my piano is loud. A 7 footer in a private home...loud? Say it isn't so! In any case my piano lives in a weird space and this is pretty much the only spot it can go. I am reading that sound pressure levels in excess of 85dBA can cause hearing damage and after I noticed that my ears were kind of being overwhelmed, I invested in a sound meter to test the noise from the piano. During a particularly aggressive bit of playing (slamming out some chords from the Rach 2, for example) it can reach peak at almost 100 dBA! I am relatively young and want to preserve my hearing. I made a short video below in hopes you all might be able to help me make sense of my space and see what I can do to help cut some of the volume/pressure. Thanks so much again! (Also, sorry for the rambling on the video).

I also found this thread, which seemed to have a lot of mixed

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Sub 37 | Behringer DeepMind 12 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 6 | Korg Prologue
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Markarian] #2411803
04/19/15 03:37 PM
04/19/15 03:37 PM
Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...
K
Keith D Kerman Online content
3000 Post Club Member
Keith D Kerman  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
K
Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...
I watched your video and forgive me if some of my suggestions and observations are obvious.

First off, acoustic pianos are almost always louder in a house then people expect, regardless of size. Upright, grand, whatever. A well designed, well regulated, well voiced 7' grand should just sound better than smaller instruments or uprights at the same volume, and be easier to control at softer volumes.

Secondly, the better regulated the piano is, the more easily controlled at soft volumes. There are also ways to regulate the piano to cut a bit of power. I suspect you have a good tech, so discuss these options with him.

The piano can be voiced to be softer. If voiced beautifully, rather than killed, it is worthwhile. You might not love it at first, but you will probably get used to it. It is worth exploring. If you don't like it, and it was voiced softly correctly, it will come back up naturally, or the tech can voice it up. Voicing is an art. Again, I hope you have a trusted tech for these suggestions.

The string cover does cut the DBs a bit and in the important high partial range. I'd give that another try.

Put the lid at half stick if you don't want it all the way down. This again will cut the high partials a bit and improve the bass ( a surprise to most ).

Put a piece of foam behind the music desk. Cut it to fit the back of the music desk in both size and thickness.

There are sound deadening caster cups you can buy. Or just put sound deadening rubber under the casters.

Double up the rugs under the piano.

You can buy or fit foam rubber baffles under the piano in between the back beams.

Keep deadening the room with absorbing materials.

I am guessing you thought of most or all of this. Hope it was a help. Good luck.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
Rebuilding & Sales - vintage and used Steinway, Mason & Hamlin
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Baldwin
www.pianocraft.net
check out http://sitkadoc.com/
www.twitter.com/pianocraft https://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Markarian] #2411804
04/19/15 03:40 PM
04/19/15 03:40 PM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
First Town, First State
Very interesting post! I have measured our 5'8" C2X in its room which measures 12x15. If I really try I can get a 95db reading.

However, you need to understand that it's not just how loud your piano is above 85db, but how much time does it spend above that level over a continuous time frame, say 2-4 minutes while playing a piece.

Now there is a sound level range that if above it, even a fraction of a second of exposure can begin to cause permanent damage. That range starts around 105db, but this is not an exact number for everyone.

If after playing something loud on your piano, try to get the room as quiet as possible, and see if you can detect even a small amount of ringing in your ear. If you do, it is trying to tell you something. eek

And by the way, I'm no expert at this, but being almost 60 and with my hearing VERY important to my quality of life, I've tried to be careful over time. For example, I wear earplugs while mowing my lawn, or even when attending a live music concert.

I'd be curious as to what folks think about this subject.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Markarian] #2411805
04/19/15 03:44 PM
04/19/15 03:44 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
B
Oakland
Things I note:

You spend 5 minutes talking, and you barely play the piano! How are we supposed to advise you when we are missing that demonstration? What little there was did not sound too good.

You do not want to move the microphones. I move microphones for concerts all the time, and just move them back when I am finished. Usually I just rotate them, so they will go right back.

You worry about fidelity? There is nothing more true to the sound of a piano than the sound of a piano!

My advice is the same as always: Keep your piano tuned, regulated and voiced, and if it is too loud, play it softer. That should not be difficult on a 7 foot piano.

Semipro Tech
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Markarian] #2411806
04/19/15 03:55 PM
04/19/15 03:55 PM
Suffolk, England
W
Withindale Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Withindale  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W
Suffolk, England
If you don't want to play as BDB recommends, why not try some musicians earplugs as Brian suggests? Standard ones cost next to nothing and you could graduate to custom made if you take to them.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Withindale] #2411810
04/19/15 04:06 PM
04/19/15 04:06 PM
Seattle Area
M
Markarian Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Markarian  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
M
Seattle Area
Originally Posted by Withindale
If you don't want to play as BDB recommends, Why not try some Etymotic musicians earplugs, or similar, as Brian suggests? Standard ones cost next to nothing and you could graduate to custom made if you take to them.

Just got some yesterday, as a matter of fact. They make one octave sound better and another sound worse! I am certainly going to give them a shot and see if I can get used to them.

BDB, I don't see how playing is going to help anything in this case. I'm not using the nicest camera and the point of the video was to give a visual for my space and arrangement, not put on a recital. The camera is mounted on my head, so that's hard enough as it is and the audio quality isn't the best.

My tech is scheduled to come out two weeks from tomorrow, which is fine since I'm going out of town this week.

That is another thing I wanted to bring up, is how notes that are slightly out of tune can affect the perception of harshness or loudness.

My main concern isn't so much the aesthetics of the sound. I do like how the piano SOUNDS, I just don't want to actually damage my hearing, is the thing.

All the suggestions given so far are fantastic, by the way, and I really do appreciate it.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Sub 37 | Behringer DeepMind 12 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 6 | Korg Prologue
Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Markarian] #2411820
04/19/15 04:46 PM
04/19/15 04:46 PM
shirley, MA
jim ialeggio Offline
500 Post Club Member
jim ialeggio  Offline
500 Post Club Member
shirley, MA
The sloped ceiling is a serious problem child. Add to that the fact that the source of the sound is significant, and you have defined yourself into a challenging situation. The large the amplitude produced by large instruments is...well...large. In a confined space, with a sloped ceiling you will be swimming upstream all the way.

Really...these are not parlor instruments. Finding a solution which can overcome the sheer power produced by this machine, in a space that challenged, will require an acoustic engineer and money. By the way, techs who tune these regularly in confined spaces often protect their ears. Its a drag for a musician to wear protection like that, but in the face of that power, power wins.

One simple solution is not to play Rachmoninoff...its bad for the environment anyway, and should have been banned by the EPA years ago. How about a little Satie. smile

Jim Ialeggio
www.grandpianosolutions.com
advanced soundboard and action redesigns
978 425-9026
Shirley Center, MA
Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Markarian] #2411823
04/19/15 04:52 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline
B
Oakland
15 seconds of playing would give a lot of information, even with a so-so recording.

Semipro Tech
Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: jim ialeggio] #2411824
Seattle Area
M
Markarian Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Markarian  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
M
Seattle Area
Originally Posted by jim ialeggio
The sloped ceiling is a serious problem child. Add to that the fact that the source of the sound is significant, and you have defined yourself into a challenging situation. The large the amplitude produced by large instruments is...well...large. In a confined space, with a sloped ceiling you will be swimming upstream all the way.

Really...these are not parlor instruments. Finding a solution which can overcome the sheer power produced by this machine, in a space that challenged, will require an acoustic engineer and money. By the way, techs who tune these regularly in confined spaces often protect their ears. Its a drag for a musician to wear protection like that, but in the face of that power, power wins.

One simple solution is not to play Rachmoninoff...its bad for the environment anyway, and should have been banned by the EPA years ago. How about a little Satie. smile

Is a little Scriabin okay to offset my Rachmaninoff footprint? Really, I am not slamming full force at all times and I'm hardly talented enough to play something like one of those piano concertos for serious.

One thing I considered was rigging up cables that stretch over the piano and mounting foam panels on them to create an acoustic cloud. Would that be a possibility?

Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: BDB] #2411826
04/19/15 04:54 PM
04/19/15 04:54 PM
Seattle Area
M
Markarian Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Markarian  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
M
Seattle Area
Originally Posted by BDB
15 seconds of playing would give a lot of information, even with a so-so recording.

I can throw together another video. But would this be more helpful after my tech is done in a couple weeks, or no?

Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Markarian] #2411828
04/19/15 05:08 PM
04/19/15 05:08 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline
B
Oakland
If we can hear it before the tech comes, we can make suggestions of what might be done.

Semipro Tech
Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Markarian] #2411861
04/19/15 08:12 PM
04/19/15 08:12 PM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
SE USA
What's the DB reading for that violin hanging on the wall when played under the ear?

I play viola, a little bit, and have done the musician's ear plug routine (the one's with little holes in them that filter high frequencies and loudness without muffling the sound). They do work, but I always feel like I'm impacting ear wax (from lots of sinus problems).

If your piano is very new, the tuning of the top may be screaming until the strings stretch out and stabilize with repeated tunings.

Is it at all possible to rearrange the room?

WhoDwaldi
Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: BDB] #2411888
04/19/15 09:06 PM
04/19/15 09:06 PM
Seattle Area
M
Markarian Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Markarian  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
M
Seattle Area
Originally Posted by BDB
If we can hear it before the tech comes, we can make suggestions of what might be done.

As requested. Go easy on me, I'm self-taught and don't read music.

WhoD,

I don't play the violin, but I can possibly take a measurement. The instruments are there for other musicians who come to visit. The piano is relatively new. It's a late 2012/early 2013 and I am the first non-dealer owner. I have had it for about 9-10 months and had it extensively voiced and regulated when I first took delivery, and have had it tuned on average every 2.5 months since. Perhaps I need some touch-up voicing?

Another thing to note, even though it doesn't peak the sound meter, the octave between D6 and D7 just wrecks my ears, though I am well aware some of those notes are going a bit out of tune.

Thanks again, everyone!

Last edited by Markarian; 04/19/15 09:07 PM.

Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Markarian] #2411912
04/19/15 10:50 PM
04/19/15 10:50 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline
B
Oakland
I think it will be better when it is tuned. There may be a little voicing that you could have done, but it is not bad. Just keep on the maintenance, play at reasonable levels, and it should not affect your hearing as much as other things in your life do.

Semipro Tech
Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: BDB] #2411914
04/19/15 10:53 PM
04/19/15 10:53 PM
Seattle Area
M
Markarian Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Markarian  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
M
Seattle Area
Originally Posted by BDB
I think it will be better when it is tuned. There may be a little voicing that you could have done, but it is not bad. Just keep on the maintenance, play at reasonable levels, and it should not affect your hearing as much as other things in your life do.

Thanks BDB. I will try and report back once he's done. I have an update, relating to what WD just suggested earlier. Since the music desk folds flat, I decided to place the 2ft foam slab right on top of it. Lo and behold, many of the harsher, ear-rattling elements were greatly diminished! I could finally sing a rock ballad I've been working on without my eardrum crackling, and I could literally see the foam shuddering from the energy it was absorbing. So yes, I think the culprit is the vaulted ceiling. I'm discussing with my friend the possibility of installing an acoustic cloud above the piano.

Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Markarian] #2411920
04/19/15 11:08 PM
04/19/15 11:08 PM
The Heart of Screenland
K
KurtZ Offline
1000 Post Club Member
KurtZ  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
K
The Heart of Screenland
You can't treat a room to make the piano softer. The piano makes the noise it makes no matter what you do to the walls. The 100 db has to travel past you to get to the wall so you've had the exposure before the sound can even get to the wall to be absorbed. A room is passive it can't amplify sound. Conversely it can't make it softer either it can only change your perception of sound that already hit a wall and bounced. Let's take a pistol. Muzzle velocity is 700 or so fps. Does it matter what's behind you if you're in front of it? Well, you're always 3 feet away from your piano when playing it. If your piano is 100 db at 3 feet, it's 100 db at 3 feet no matter what's on the wall behind you.

If you want to limit your exposure, your best bet is ear plugs. The custom ear molds are supposed to be the most natural sounding because of bone conduction and how well they seal. You can choose, and change at will between 9, 15 and 25 db. A cellist I know in the L.A. Phil uses a 25 db in the ear that faces the brass and a 9 db on the audience side. For pop dates he wears 15's in both ears.

Save buying more acoustic panels for when you want to change how the piano sounds on recordings.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Markarian] #2411921
04/19/15 11:14 PM
04/19/15 11:14 PM
Bellevue, WA
B
benjamink Offline
benjamink  Offline
B
Bellevue, WA
Have you tried half stick? How does it compare to the foam?

I tried both with my new piano from last year when I was also overwhelmed with upper partials. I ultimately decided on the half stick approach and have been pretty satisfied.

Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Markarian] #2411925
04/19/15 11:24 PM
04/19/15 11:24 PM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
SE USA
Bear in mind that the music desk may be vibrating from pedalling, thus the quivering foam.

I've seen concert pianists with Bs and Ds at home close the lid completely and put the music desk atop the flap draped with a cloth runner. I really hate to see them do this, however. And I know that you do not want to inconvenience your mic setup.

You've got a beast, with the top voiced to cope with the growling bass!

WhoDwaldi
Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Markarian] #2411926
04/19/15 11:39 PM
04/19/15 11:39 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Ben_NZ Offline
Ben_NZ  Offline
Auckland, New Zealand
Whilst moving my uprights around, I tried playing one with it positioned as yours is - pointing into the corner of a room. I realise uprights project differently but I was surprised how much the walls behind the piano seemed to focus the sound back to the player.
Maybe you're sitting in some kind of sonic death ray focal point? Or is it that loud anywhere in the room?

Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: WhoDwaldi] #2411945
04/20/15 01:47 AM
04/20/15 01:47 AM
Seattle Area
M
Markarian Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Markarian  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
M
Seattle Area
Kurt,

It's true the sound has to go somewhere, but in this case it is getting absorbed by things in the room. The 100dB may be shouting straight up at the prism-like ceiling and reflecting back to me. Using the foam, the foam absorbs that energy as heat. Otherwise, why would anyone treat a room in the first place? If it seems clearer and not as loud when the piano is blocked overhead and the foam is floating directly above the dampers, wouldn't that indicate some important info?

Ben,

I have tried half-stick, to no avail. Everything that really hurts is in the higher registers. I have little complaint about the bass end so far. A few notes are creeping out of tune, tho.

BenNZ,

I had thought about that and I still feel I may be sitting in a death zone, but not from the horizontal so much as the vertical.

Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi

Hence why I named the piano Toothless!

[Linked Image]

Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Markarian] #2411951
04/20/15 02:36 AM
04/20/15 02:36 AM
Queensland, Australia
backto_study_piano Offline
500 Post Club Member
backto_study_piano  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I've got the same size piano approx. I rarely open the lid when playing.

It could be worth checking where the sound is being emitted. With the piano completely closed (incl music desk), I'd suspect that most sound would be emitted by the soundboard downwards. It would be interesting to take measurements with it closed - and place the sound meter below the piano, in front and above near the pianist's ears.

I notice that most of your floors are bare timber - I would suspect that carpeting would absorb a lot of sound.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Markarian] #2411988
04/20/15 05:46 AM
04/20/15 05:46 AM
J
joe80 Offline
2000 Post Club Member
joe80  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
The piano sounds good but it sounds like it has been voiced for a larger space. It has a lot of projection in it.

I would take Keith's suggestion of having a deep toning done. My piano was voiced to an incredibly mellow tone that almost lost the clarity between the notes - verging on muffled I mean. Now, while some may say 'oh but that's killing the sound and we need to have a clear singing tone' - well, all that it took was a little patience on my part, playing it every day (which I do anyway) and let it brighten up naturally. Now it's very clear and sings incredibly. When I play pianissimo, because the hammer is voiced so well, it will give this beautiful sound that is so suited to Debussy, a very mysterious tone. I can manipulate the una corda pedal and have different levels of una corda according to how far I push it down, so if I want, I can go back to that muffled almost muted veiled sound, or use it a bit less to have a more traditional una corda tone.

The really wonderful thing about this style of voicing is the layers of sound that can be achieved - I can have one full bodied singing line and underneath it have this almost foggy accompaniment if I so wish, which I haven't been able to replicate on any piano that hasn't been voiced in this manner.

Finally, when I need to use a full throttled fortissimo, I can make the walls shake. For whatever reason, this style of voicing gives this orchestral quality to the fortissimo, it's like a thunderstorm rather than an air-horn.

From the piano being newly rebuilt to where it is now, took about 8 months of me playing, and it's still changing, but it has started to settle beautifully. As long as I keep an ear out for the strident notes it doesn't get too bright, and I don't have to worry too much about it becoming a battle between the technician and the piano for beautiful sound.

My previous piano on the other hand, sounded right when it was fresh out of the box, ready to go if you like, but after six months it was a constant struggle to bring the sound back because it started to become unbearably loud, and ended up sounding like an angry rash - if you get the simile - I mean rather unpleasant and totally unrefined even with my technician working to tone the hammers. They were simply too hard from the start. Had I known what I know now I would have had it deep toned, but I didn't know that then!

Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Markarian] #2411997
04/20/15 06:36 AM
04/20/15 06:36 AM
Valencia, Spain
M
mabraman Online content
500 Post Club Member
mabraman  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
M
Valencia, Spain
Markarian, acoustic treatment is usually done to avoid excessive echo and standing waves FROM A POINT OF LISTENING. How much is this, that's upon circumstances, though there are some typical measures taken as a reference which are easily avaliable via google.

As others said before, room treatment won't make your grand quieter. It would make your room more pleasant for the audience, or it could give you a better control over your recordings. That's all. From the player's perspective, and related to sound levels, it does next to nothing, I'm afraid. It could improve how you perceive the sound after it bounces back to you. This means that being 'into' the same Db levels you'd feel more comfortable...which could be even worse.

So you'll need to voice the grand way down if you want to play it full opened, or use earplugs, or put foam UNDER de board, in between ribbons.
Being at home, a grand can't be trated as if you were at a hall.

Last edited by mabraman; 04/20/15 06:37 AM.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Markarian] #2412077
04/20/15 11:35 AM
04/20/15 11:35 AM
The Heart of Screenland
K
KurtZ Offline
1000 Post Club Member
KurtZ  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
K
The Heart of Screenland
Markarian,

Sound is not a thing. It's waves of pressure moving through air. If the piano makes 100 db at 3 feet,* the piano makes 100 db no matter where it is, inside, outside, the wall lined with the fleece of virgin Himalayan lambs, the piano makes 100 db. The sound that goes up into your vaulted ceiling has already hit your ears for good or bad.

And that brings us to an age old issue here and one that has become my sisyphus' stone. My piano hurts my ears is not the same as my piano is too loud. Now that you bring up vaulted ceilings, you're into absolutely classic territory of flutter echos and destructive interference. Those are indeed acoustics issues and need acoustics solutions.

Here's the important take away or the TL:DR as the kids say, If the problem is the vaulted ceiling, and you were playing a digital and turned down the volume, the room would do the exact same thing to the sound; it would just be quieter. Maybe it would bug you less, who knows? Fixing the the destructive interference problem will make it less fatiguing to play the (acoustic) piano in the room but you will still be sitting 3 feet away from a beast of a piano that makes 100 db peaks.

* distance matters because of the inverse square law. Sound loses half it's power (6db spl) with each doubling of distance. The piano makes 94 db at 6 feet and 88 across the room at 12 feet.

Whatever you figure out with it, good luck.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Markarian] #2412088
04/20/15 12:07 PM
04/20/15 12:07 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Simply play with the lid DOWN. The overall volume will be reduced significantly, and your ears will probably be fine. As the owner of a M&H BB I know whereof I speak.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: WhoDwaldi] #2412089
04/20/15 12:09 PM
04/20/15 12:09 PM
Houston, TX
Ataru074 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ataru074  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Houston, TX
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
Bear in mind that the music desk may be vibrating from pedalling, thus the quivering foam.

I've seen concert pianists with Bs and Ds at home close the lid completely and put the music desk atop the flap draped with a cloth runner. I really hate to see them do this, however. And I know that you do not want to inconvenience your mic setup.

This. unfortunately the sound changes, but for practice is usually good enough, sure better than blowing your eardrums off.

Private Piano Teacher. MTNA
working on:
Albeniz: Iberia
Beethoven: Op 53
Bartok: Mikrokosmos vol. 5
Debussy: Estampes
Moszkowski: Op 72
Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Markarian] #2412115
04/20/15 01:04 PM
04/20/15 01:04 PM
Seattle Area
M
Markarian Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Markarian  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
M
Seattle Area
This is a lot to take in. As I have mentioned before, playing with the lid down eliminated some, but not all of the harshness that I was hearing.

Can someone explain what a deep toning is? I'm a bit confused as to the specifics. I've been reluctant to have the piano heavily voiced down because I am worried it will lose its character, but between that and hurting my ears, the choice is a no-brainer. I also kind of feel like my tech would have indicated this level of voicing was significantly unsuitable for my space. BDB seems optimistic, at least.

When dynamic range is brought up I'm reminded I should mention some of this may be my technique. The B is my first ever piano that isn't a digital. I have also never really had any piano lessons. I have read that people who have only played on digitals tend to play harder/louder. I feel I've learned a tremendous amount of control since getting the grand, but I know I still have a long way to go. I wonder how much of this is actually poor technique too.

Kurt, when Lang Lang sits down at a D to bang out Liszt at a concert hall, is the instrument not hurting his ears too? I know that there's nothing on the walls that will make the piano quieter per se, but if there are more things to absorb those waves or they can travel farther away, then wouldn't that reduce the amount of sound energy reaching one's ears? I'm sorry that I'm confused.

I could simply be in denial about A) Choosing the wrong home, since the piano was the primary factor when I was house shopping B) Needing to put a muzzle on the dragon and play with the lid closed, which isn't as fun and C) That expecting a concert tone from an instrument inside one's home is a really dumb idea

Last edited by Markarian; 04/20/15 01:08 PM.

Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Markarian] #2412116
04/20/15 01:11 PM
04/20/15 01:11 PM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
SE USA
Does this piano have a heavy action, which tends to make one overplay?
I do not get the impression from your second vid that this is an excessively heavy action, however.

In music schools, the lids on the 7 footers in teaching studios are always down, but that is to make students play with their "flame thrower" technique (to project in big halls). Or so it seems. 😜

WhoDwaldi
Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Markarian] #2412118
04/20/15 01:14 PM
04/20/15 01:14 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted by Markarian
This is a lot to take in. As I have mentioned before, playing with the lid down eliminated some, but not all of the harshness that I was hearing.
Unfortunatley your initial video doesn't show up on my computer screen (don't know why) - so I can't comment on the actual sound of your piano. BUT - is it the VOLUME that you are concerned about or the HARSHNESS of tone?

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: Need help treating my room & worried about hearing damage! [Re: Markarian] #2412157
04/20/15 03:26 PM
04/20/15 03:26 PM
Seattle Area
M
Markarian Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Markarian  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
M
Seattle Area
The action is a pretty comfortable medium, I'd say. It's not heavy to where I feel I have to bang on it, but it's not exactly Horowitz' piano either.

My tech had explained early on that some of the PERCEIVED loudness has a lot to do with tuning and disagreeing waves when the unisons aren't just right. I have noticed the instrument always seems "tamer" when he leaves the house.

I really would love to keep the lid at full stick. I love the fullness and connectedness I feel with my music when the lid is open. To use a slightly more lurid metaphor, closing the lid or wearing earplugs while playing is like having to always wear protection when you're with your significant other.

To be clear, I am not a concert pianist, or even a performer. But I don't want my piano to be too "mellow" and do want it to have some bite to the sound.

I am going to wait before my tech visit to do anything, obviously. I have spoken with a local acoustic consultancy firm and may have someone come out to give an opinion on the space, but from what I'm reading here it's really just a constellation of factors that may inevitably lead to some compromises down the road. Again the thrust of this thread was to ask about any potential risk of permanent hearing damage. The quality of the sound and tone is secondary to this, though hardly unimportant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Keyboard study
by yemerlums. 04/19/18 05:09 AM
Korg C1 Air vs many others
by gtn11. 04/19/18 03:59 AM
Combining dynamically-tuned just intonation and atonality
by Roshan Kakiya. 04/19/18 01:52 AM
Abstract concertos similar to these?
by Meelays. 04/18/18 11:07 PM
setting downbearing
by Alex_. 04/18/18 08:04 PM
(ad)
Pianist Magazine
Pianist Magazine - Play Debussy
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics185,134
Posts2,711,060
Members90,021
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission