2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
26 members (CraiginNZ, Caleb1416, clothearednincompo, Calavera, CyberGene, chopinetto, AprilE, EPW, ColoRodney, 5 invisible), 384 guests, and 449 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: DAWs
bill5 #2410404 04/14/15 09:29 PM
B
bill5 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
PS: side note: do you call it "daw" or "dee-ay-double-u?" smile

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
bill5 #2410785 04/15/15 09:01 PM
B
bill5 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Some experts.

wink

Anyway here's a really nice recap of DAWs:

http://www.thedawstudio.com/Gear/DAW-Comparison-Chart.html

PS: notice that Audacity is there. smile

Last edited by bill5; 04/15/15 09:22 PM.
bill5 #2410825 04/16/15 12:13 AM
C
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
C
Seeing the direction this thread is taking, something like a Yamaha MX49 (previously suggested) might be a good bet as a combination workstation / controller. It's more expensive than a Casio WK-7600, but I haven't heard anyone call it a "toy".

Check the blurb here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/yamaha-mx49-49-key-music-synthesizer-controller

and the review here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct13/articles/yamaha-mx49.htm

It comes with a "low-end" version of Cubase, and it's apparently designed around having what you need to integrate nicely with Cubase.

Since I understand only about half the words in the Sound On Sound review, I will now bow out of the discussion.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
bill5 #2410827 04/16/15 12:21 AM
C
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
C
Seeing the direction this thread is taking, something like a Yamaha MX49 (previously suggested) might be a good bet as a combination workstation / controller. It's more expensive than a Casio WK-7600, but I haven't heard anyone call it a "toy".

Check the blurb here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/yamaha-mx49-49-key-music-synthesizer-controller

and the review here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct13/articles/yamaha-mx49.htm

It comes with a "low-end" version of Cubase, and it's apparently designed around having what you need to integrate nicely with Cubase.

Since I understand only about half the words in the Sound On Sound review, I will now bow out of the discussion.

. Charles

PS -- the MX49, used, is around $350 at GuitarCenter. I've bought used gear from them, and they're pretty good about reporting condition. They have reasonably-priced shipping, store-to-store or store-to-home. But don't let me shorten the decision time . . .

. Charles
Charles Cohen #2410843 04/16/15 02:18 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

Bit of a shame they overlooked transport control buttons. That is a bare minimum for a DAW controller.

ando #2411005 04/16/15 05:41 PM
C
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by ando
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

Bit of a shame they overlooked transport control buttons. That is a bare minimum for a DAW controller.

From a review in Keyboard magazine,

http://www.keyboardmag.com/combo---do-all/1191/yamaha-mx61-studio-and-performance-synthesizer/29192

DAW Control

With one button press, the MX turns into a surprisingly capable DAW control surface. Yamaha offers templates for Cubase, Logic, Sonar, and Digital Performer. (The MX comes with Steinberg Cubase AI.) Dedicated functions are shown right on the panel below the category buttons, and you can also retask six buttons to your liking. Everything works much like on the Motif XS or XF; the only real limitation you feel is that the MX has fewer physical controls. I tried laying down some tunes in Cubase, and it was easy for me to record while away from the computer, controlling the transport and other vital functions right from the MX.

There may be some trickery involved, but that _sounds like_ there's transport control from the MXnn. I'm sorry if I got it wrong.

. Charles

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 04/16/15 05:42 PM.

. Charles
bill5 #2411023 04/16/15 07:01 PM
B
bill5 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Most of these are more than I care to spend. I was all set to zoom in on Reaper, but they say there's a steeper learning curve, which is precisely what I don't want...FL Studio for that same reason is the leader. But that's getting ahead of myself, DP first......

bill5 #2411060 04/16/15 09:32 PM
Bill,
I think someone else mentioned Mixcraft in a post? I will second that recommendation for a "DAW".

I am going to recommend the Pro version as it comes with Pianissimo VSTi. Uses high quality Steinwayâ„¢ Model D piano samples with advanced physical modeling. I think the trial version includes Pianissimo? I have used Mixcraft for several years now and love it.

Mixcraft is easy to learn with a much more friendly GUI and less of a learning curve.

On a MIDI controller...I had a M-Audio Keystation 88ES. Notice the past tense? It was an OK keyboard but the action was just semi-weighted spring action and nothing like a piano. If I wanted to play I had to open up Mixcraft launch a new project, load a VSTi and then I would have some sound. If you don't care about the key action this keyboard is not the worst choice with a full 88 keys and mod wheels.

I sold it and got a Yamaha P-105. Very nice set of keys! Very authentic graded hammer action, built in sounds/speakers. Turn it on and play! It also has a USB to host connection so I can use it as a MIDI controller so no loss.

Do you have a retail spot nearby where you try out some keyboards? Note that most all DAWs have a trial you can download. Test drive of sorts. I tried about 6-7 keyboards/DP's before landing on the Yamaha. I also have probably tried most DAWs at least once.

- Sam

Stuff: Yamaha P-105 Digital Piano, M-Audio C400 Interface, Yamaha HS 50 Studio Monitors, AKG K240 Headphones
Learning: Fundamental Keys, Playground Sessions
bill5 #2411068 04/16/15 09:58 PM
B
bill5 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks very much for the reply. Mixcraft is relatively inexpensive as DAWs go too ($90ish).

Has anyone else used this?

bill5 #2411071 04/16/15 10:06 PM
B
bill5 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
PS and WTF? FL Studio basic edition does not include audio recording capabilities. Isn't that kind of like buying a car but the windshield costs extra?

bill5 #2411072 04/16/15 10:12 PM
Not if you are into EDM. No need to record much just MIDI and plugins...lol. Oh and some side chaining...

- Sam

Stuff: Yamaha P-105 Digital Piano, M-Audio C400 Interface, Yamaha HS 50 Studio Monitors, AKG K240 Headphones
bill5 #2411080 04/16/15 10:23 PM
B
bill5 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
English please. EDM? Side chaining?

It looks like you can't record at all w/that basic version.

bill5 #2411423 04/17/15 11:33 PM
My apologies.

Electronic Dance Music or EDM in some cases is produced primarily "in the box". This means entire albums are produced using just MIDI programmed tracks driving virtual instruments and/or loops on the computer.

Side chaining is a volume reduction effect commonly used in EDM. The kick drum signal is used to reduce the volume of other tracks to produce that pumping effect you hear in dance music.

I agree about FL studio. Not a fan. No recording capabilities on the fruity edition.

- Sam

bill5 #2411543 04/18/15 11:40 AM
D
D
Originally Posted by bill5
Most of these are more than I care to spend. I was all set to zoom in on Reaper, but they say there's a steeper learning curve, which is precisely what I don't want...FL Studio for that same reason is the leader. But that's getting ahead of myself, DP first......

Bill5,

Generally speaking, ALL DAWs have a steep learning curve. Different DAWs have different strengths, which is "best" depends on what you're trying to do. For example, I find that I'm liking FLStudio better now because it seems to fit my evolving interests. (FYI, FLS V12 is much nicer than V11.x.)

Regarding Mixcraft, I tried a demo version but ultimately decided not to change from Reaper (which I still use). It seemed easier to use than Reaper, but I found some limitations (which I can't remember now). YMMV.

Regarding a "DP", the choices are huge. However, given my understanding of your needs, a better choice MIGHT be a MIDI keyboard controller. Some DPs like the Kawai MP11 (with a very good keyboard) have some MIDI controls and audio out that could work with DAW software. That said, true MIDI keyboard controllers have lots of controls for mixing and controlling a DAW. However, most of them have a mediocre, unweighted or semi-weighted keyboard.

For example, a highly rated controller is the Akai MPK 249 (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPK249). I thought it might meet my needs. That is, until I had a chance to play it. The semi-weighted white keys were OK. The black keys were very poor.

If you want a DP with good key action for playing, you might want to start with that and go from there. But with the understanding that it may not be your final DAW workstation keyboard.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards,

Dan.

bill5 #2411577 04/18/15 01:48 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ya. Wrong thread.

bill5 #2411583 04/18/15 02:16 PM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
ElmerJFudd, Was that reply somehow meant for the other thread CUBASE thread. ?

Anyway what I do know very little, Cubase will not go further than the launch screen if not activated once you have gone beyond the grace period, when you encounter that situation it tells you to register and buy at that point, it will not open at all, at least that is what I discovered when using LE and was able to use elements as well during the grace period, to which I have upgraded since.

While within the grace period everything is fully functional with or without activation, that is 30 days IIRC. After that it is register or nada, no pay, no play laugh

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 04/18/15 02:17 PM.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ravenscroft Help
by Grandman - 11/30/20 10:36 PM
loudness/projection vs. bright/mellow
by Piano Math - 11/30/20 08:19 PM
Growing up with an Acoustic Piano
by Deltajockey - 11/30/20 07:35 PM
The 100 Hardest Piano Concertos
by achoo42 - 11/30/20 06:19 PM
MIDI to USB double output
by lukasz-zsakul - 11/30/20 04:57 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,174
Posts3,029,099
Members99,438
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission