2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 7 invisible), 1,242 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Bellicapelli,

Originally Posted by Bellicapelli
I've read those documents, and must say they were very useful and explaining about the product.

Well, that's at least one reason for me to feel positive about this experience... thank you. wink

Originally Posted by Bellicapelli
Did someone already make a spec comparison to verify how far away it actually is from a ca67, versus 300 eur. price difference?

The CA67 features the superior 'Grand Feel II' keyboard action, a greater selection of sounds (including the new SK-5 sample), a more powerful speaker system, a superior control interface (with LCD display), and a broader range of features (USB to Device, MP3/WAV recording, more internal lessons, more Virtual Technician functionality, etc.).

In short:
CA17: introductory Concert Artist model, great action and sound, modest additional features.
CA67: mid-range Concert Artist model, excellent action and sound, wide range of additional features.
CA97: high-range Concert Artist model, excellent action and sound, wide range of additional features, soundboard speaker system + single piece cabinet construction.

By the way, the CA17 brochure PDF is also now available from the Kawai Global website:
http://www.kawai-global.com/support/brochures/

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
M
James, I'm trying not to be harsh, but after having read the posts above, I must say I wonder if you enter here by curiosity, and to collaborate with forum members, or, in some percent, to care for Kawai's interests.
Contacting the administrator and asking people to change their posts is a little beyond common users' line, at this moment I feel that there is a Kawai policeman here.

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
Hello Marcos,

Originally Posted by Marcos Daniel
I wonder if you enter here by curiosity, and to collaborate with forum members, or, in some percent, to care for Kawai's interests.

Well, I'd say it's a combination of both.

- I'm genuinely interested in digital pianos, keyboards, and music, so enjoy participating in the discussion.
- I'm employed by Kawai Japan, and am therefore obliged to protect the interests of my company.

Originally Posted by Marcos Daniel
Contacting the administrator and asking people to change their posts is a little beyond common users' line, at this moment I feel that there is a Kawai policeman here.

That's understandable, however I expect most other people in my position would do the same. I am responsible for overseas DP marketing and materials at Kawai Japan, and therefore took the necessary action to protect the interests of my employer.

Kind regards,
James
x

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James

That's understandable, however I expect most other people in my position would do the same. I am responsible for overseas DP marketing and materials at Kawai Japan, and therefore took the necessary action to protect the interests of my employer.

Kind regards,
James
x

That....

Industry Consultant
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
James is doing his job, can't fault him for that. On the other hand this is a massive storm in a teacup. There was no harm done by the release of the document for the CA17. It's a middle rung product with no startling details at all. I don't think it has affected literally anything on the face of the earth through being seen by a few enthusiasts a week before its launch. If anything such leak build excitement rather than damage a product launch.

M
M
Originally Posted by ando
James is doing his job, can't fault him for that. On the other hand this is a massive storm in a teacup. There was no harm done by the release of the document for the CA17.

That's why I didn't like what happened. I still have the pdf and it is a personal view of the person who wrote it, there are no secret detailed specs or something like that.

I would understand all this if the document was a service manual, schematic of the electronics, or some other thing that companies usually don't want us to know.

Last edited by Marcos Daniel; 04/16/15 09:53 AM.

Marcos, I do not wish to derail this thread further, so will respond to your post via PM.

Kind regards,
James
x

M
M
Thanks James, let's go back to the CA-17!

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
The Ca17 has two sets of speakers, are they all downward facing? Can't really tell from the photos...

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
Hendrik, as with the CA15, the CA17's main (mid/low-range) speakers are mounted beneath the keyboard and are downward facing. The mid/high-range speakers are mounted behind the fallboard.

Please refer to the product brochure for more information.

Kind regards,
James
x

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I've played old CA-15 several times and still don't get its target.
It's almost good and almost bad. Now it has better soundfont and keybed, but if speakers remain the same...no way for me, they were not enough for PHI so I don't expect very much for the more nuanced HI.
No usb to device, yet, no mp3/wav recorder. This is ridiculous smile

So I see it as a marginal product, adressed to techno haters or old-fashioned late beginners who want no complications or buttons.
Other than that, I don't see the point in such a product (besides manufacturer pushing buyers towards CA67, of course).

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
B
B
At 1780 eur. streetprice, i personally see it as a good alternative to a cn35, with more hardcore ( and hardware ) quality - less electronic features. Definitely pleasing if you want the "piano".

The ca67 is definitely better, but that's another 500 cash. Which is not a little sum. I'm just curious if the amplification really could turn out insufficient in rendering the better sound engine.

Kawai Ca63 - yamaha motif07 ( sold )- Korg01fd ( sold ) - Kawai es120
Originally Posted by mabraman
I've played old CA-15 several times and still don't get its target.

Players who desire a standalone DP with a very good quality piano sounds and an excellent keyboard action, and minimal additional features.

Now it has better soundfont and keybed...

The sound specs are improved, yes, however the keyboard is the same RM3 Grand II action as in the previous CA15 and current VPC1.

No usb to device, yet, no mp3/wav recorder.

As I say, minimal additional features. The emphasis is on providing the best touch and sound for a relatively low price.

So I see it as a marginal product, adressed to techno haters or old-fashioned late beginners who want no complications or buttons.

You're actually not so far off. wink
'Techno haters' is perhaps a little strong...I would say 'players who are less interested in additional functions', while the target demographic for such an instrument ranges from 'young beginner' to 'maturing experienced player'.

We often see posts here on PW from folks seeking a straightforward digital piano with realistic touch and good piano sounds, and little in the way of additional features. This is the instrument for them.

Kind regards,
James
x

D
D
James I wanted to ask your opinion, in what degree the headphone preamp alters the frequency response in the case that someone wants to connect external studio monitors? If there was a useful spec missing from ca 17 for me it would be an unbalanced/balanced L,R output. . . Thanks.

U
U
I like the CA-15 because of its simplicity and good sound. I especially like its speakers. They are not so exaggerating the bass end. For me, it has a very even and pleasant sound. I am sure, the CA-17 will be as nice and with the additional features, it is a very nice option for someone who just wants to play piano.

Pianos and Service - www.martinwidmannklaviere.de
Piano parts and Accessories - www.pianosupply.de
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Heah, the only really major minus is lack of audio inputs. It's the most common and cheap to make...
It's a pity, that there is no GF action, as now the ca series has a better, but that nie is also very nice to play.

Hello dominic70s,

Originally Posted by dominic70s
in what degree the headphone preamp alters the frequency response in the case that someone wants to connect external studio monitors?

Please note that the CA17 does not feature the new headphone pre-amp found on the CA97/CA67.

Originally Posted by dominic70s
If there was a useful spec missing from ca 17 for me it would be an unbalanced/balanced L,R output. . .

Yes, I appreciate that some customers would like the CA17 to have Line In and Line Out connectors, however I believe this functionality goes beyond the 'simple digital piano with minimal additional features' concept of the instrument.

Kind regards,
James
x

Originally Posted by Upright
I like the CA-15 because of its simplicity and good sound. I especially like its speakers. They are not so exaggerating the bass end. For me, it has a very even and pleasant sound. I am sure, the CA-17 will be as nice and with the additional features, it is a very nice option for someone who just wants to play piano.

Thank you very much for your comment, Upright.
I agree wholeheartedly!

Kind regards,
James
x

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission