Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
Who's Online Now
53 registered members (Bill McKaig,RPT, Axel Ramge, barbaram, ando, bluejei, 8 invisible), 1,699 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#240807 - 07/01/08 01:04 PM Irmler?  
Hedwig Offline
Hedwig  Offline

Hi! I searched the archives but found little info on Irmler. We're shopping for a smaller grand and are considering an Irmler F16E (built in Poland of Euro parts, finished/checked in Liepzig) that a dealer has from last year (couple inches larger than the current F16E).

Initially I set out to try the RX2/3 but a dealer showed me the Irmler, and it sounded nicer to my ear. (No offense to RX folks!) I tried other pianos in that range at other stores: There was an Estonia I liked (I found these to vary hugely from one piano to the next), as well as an M&H B baby grand. I somewhat prefer the European sound but felt the Bohemia I tried had too much sustain and got muddy. The room acoustics at the different dealers were all very different, so I'm finding it very hard to compare.

I got to play several pianos well out of our price range: I was especially amazed with the Grotrian (this piano somehow made my kid sound great!), an August Forster, a Sauter, and a gorgeous restored Bosie from the late 19th century.

Anyway, I'd love to get feedback from you all about what you think about Irmler compared to the other Tier 2 brands. What would be a great price? (The piano has been played but comes with warranty.) Or is the M&H baby grand, at slightly more $, a better choice if we need to sell down the road?

Background: I took about 7 years of piano as a child and am just picking it back up. My son is 7 and seems to have much more natural ability than I ever did (i.e., all thumbs).

Thanks!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#240808 - 07/01/08 04:46 PM Re: Irmler?  
Barbara G Offline
Barbara G  Offline

N. Texas
Welcome to PW, Hedwig. It sounds like you are having a good time shopping for a piano. It also sounds like you have already learned a great deal and I'm guessing that you are shopping in NYC, Right? I have not played an Irmler and few people have. So our opinions are not very good. Irmlers, Petrofs and Bohemias and Estonias are considered to be very good buys for the money. Charles Walters and M&H are also. So you really have to play them and visit dealers until you can make up your own mind. The Charles Walters 175 might be the best piano for you.

Master of Music, School Teacher, Church Musician- See "Our Adventure to a New grand" thread... http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/18212.html
#240809 - 07/01/08 04:54 PM Re: Irmler?  
Alex Hernandez Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alex Hernandez  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Hedwig,

The Irmler F16E you have mentioned is a very beautiful instrument, certainly worthy of tier 2 comparisons. I find it to have a lyrical singing quality and a very refined tenor.

Of course as my signature would indicate I am not offering a completely unbiased opinion, I am very proud of this particular model and have recommended it frequently with great results.

I have also tuned and serviced many F16E instruments in the home. These Irmler grands are very stable and really blossom under regular play, good luck in your search.

Blüthner USA, LLC
#240810 - 07/01/08 06:24 PM Re: Irmler?  
Hedwig Offline
Hedwig  Offline

Originally posted by Jordang:
[The Charles Walters 175 might be the best piano for you. [/QB]
Hi, Jordang! I enjoyed reading your piano quest. What is it about the Walters 175 that you like? Thanks!

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#240811 - 07/01/08 07:41 PM Re: Irmler?  
Barbara G Offline
Barbara G  Offline

N. Texas
Thank you very much. We played on two Walters 190s. The 175 is newer and we had Del Fandrich, the designer of the pianos, describing the new 175 here on PW last summer. It "sounded" like the 175 might sound better than the 190 and it is less expensive. The truth seemed to be that Walters are designed to have a more pure European sound with the primary pitch being more pronounced. Common American brands are designed to have more complex, and muddied base notes. The Feurich which we like best is a more middle of the road mix of the two design ideas. Some other German brands like Schimmel and Seiler have recently moved to the middle of the road with duplex scaling and new string and soundboard scales, and new more complex tone sounds.

I understand, but only from reading and talking to people, that Bluthner has the Haessler and Irmler brands which have more middle of the road design ideas and the Bluthner with the more traditional European sound.

Master of Music, School Teacher, Church Musician- See "Our Adventure to a New grand" thread... http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/18212.html
#240812 - 07/02/08 12:38 AM Re: Irmler?  
Gene Nelson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gene Nelson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Old Hangtown California
I recently had a chance to service a new 7'6" Irmler - regarding the tone this was an exceptional piano. They are well made.
There was a smaller one in the store and the construction was very much the same. For the price I think they are a great value.

RPT
PTG Member
#240813 - 07/18/08 01:12 AM Re: Irmler?  
Hedwig Offline
Hedwig  Offline

I just wanted to come back and say thanks to everyone who replied to my query. We did end up buying the Irmler grand and are very pleased with it so far. It sounds so... grand.

Our piano teacher came over today and just fell in love with it. (High praise, as one of her other students has a Bosendorfer.) She admitted she was initially concerned about the European-style sound being too blended (I forgot the word she used) and was delighted with the warmth and clarity. She played a few amazing songs that truly brought the piano to life - I wish it sounded like that for me! ;-)

We live in the SF Bay Area and purchased the piano from R. Kassman in Berkeley, whom Cat and someone else recommended in a separate thread. (Mr. Kassman was great to work with and very kind to my two children both times we visited.)

Strangely the latest Piano Book supplement says that Bluthner has discontinued the Irmler line; that doesn't seem to be the case, as I saw a few newer Irmler models at the piano store.

#240814 - 07/19/08 01:20 AM Re: Irmler?  
mo689 Offline
mo689  Offline

San Francisco
Congratulations, Hedwig, on your new grand! I also recently purchased an Irmler (an upright in my case) from R. Kassman's and am also very happy with it. It's sweet, resonant, singing tone appeals to me more than any other upright piano I've played. The new Irmler uprights include a 52" now (the model I bought) which wasn't the case, I believe, a year ago.

I initially had some trepidation when I saw that the new Piano Book supplement had no Irmler info in it. (I had come to rely on The Piano Book as a framework for comparing brands and determining value). I emailed Mr. Fine and he wrote back saying that at the time they were writing the new supplement Bluthner was undecided about the future direction of Irmler, and was told to say that they'd been temporarily discontinued. Apparently Bluthner changed it's mind or decided on a direction soon after, which is why there's essentially no Irmler information in the supplement. R. Kassman has told me that L. Fine will, at some point, post information about the current Irmlers on his website. I'm hoping he does. I think the Irmlers - especially for those who find their tone appealing - are one of those very good tier 2 values L. Fine talks about.

Enjoy....!

#240815 - 07/19/08 05:57 PM Re: Irmler?  
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member
turandot  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

torrance, CA
Hedwig and Mo,

Congratulations on your new pianos.!

Not much information in this forum from Irmler owners, so your posts make for interesting reading.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
#240816 - 07/19/08 07:54 PM Re: Irmler?  
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Piano*Dad  Offline

Williamsburg, VA
I'll second Turandot's point. We haven't heard much about the brand, and I'm intrigued.

Why don't you post some pictures.

#240817 - 07/23/08 11:35 AM Re: Irmler?  
Hedwig Offline
Hedwig  Offline

Here are the pics of our new Irmler. (I still delight in how lyrical-sounding this piano is.)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#240818 - 07/23/08 11:38 AM Re: Irmler?  
Hedwig Offline
Hedwig  Offline

(If anyone is wondering, the white things at the bottom of the piano legs are washcloths. I didn't think to buy caster cups, so for now they're protecting the floor.)

#240819 - 07/23/08 11:43 AM Re: Irmler?  
Piano*Dad Offline
Piano*Dad  Offline

Williamsburg, VA
If over time you think the piano sounds a little too bright and echoey in that corner you might consider putting an oval oriental rug underneath it to dampen the harsh edges on the tone (if you perceive any). Some spaces just need the softening.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Chinese made Baldwin 7 foot grand
by 7naturals. 11/22/17 01:23 AM
Moonlight Sonata Sostenuto
by Weiyan. 11/22/17 12:53 AM
Experience with Redbird, Concertpianos, and “Maestro”?
by Duke of Dunning. 11/21/17 06:26 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,879
Posts2,673,442
Members89,168
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission