2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
79 members (Beowulf, Brahms4, anotherscott, accordeur, c++, AaronSF, ando, 26 invisible), 594 guests, and 447 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Any Apps/Software Similar to Yamaha's "NoteStar"?
#2407153 04/06/15 02:54 PM
N
newbert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Not sure whether this is the correct forum to post this question, but here goes....

I use Yamaha's NoteStar app (iOS) to occasionally "play along" with recorded performances. NoteStar provides both the sound tracks and scrolling sheet music of the piano/keyboard part and allows you to slow it all down to learn it. It's great for what it is, but my problem is that it doesn't offer songs from some pop artists that I'm interested in. (Bob Seger, for example).

So, I was wondering whether there are any other similar apps or PC software offering a wider range of pop songs. Any info or links on apps and/or software which might fit the bill would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: Any Apps/Software Similar to Yamaha's "NoteStar"?
newbert #2407177 04/06/15 03:35 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Notation Musician/Composer and Rallentando's MIDI Illustrator are similar to this NoteStar app. You can feed MIDI files to them, and they show it as sheet music. MIDI Illustrator has the waiting feature, waits for you to hit the right notes, Musician and Composer do not. Of these, only MIDI Illustrator has a keyboard showing which notes to play according to the notes in the MIDI file.

Synthesia is another one, though the sheet music display is rather primitive. The owner has promised to improve it, though it's not clear when the promised improvements will be made. Home Concert Xtreme has all these features and some more.

Which features are you after? Only a MIDI player with sheet music display, or all these other features as well? If a sheet music display with a keyboard, showing where the notes fall, is enough, and with no inter-activity, then something like MIDI Sheet Music could suffice, and that one is free. The other ones I've mentioned are not free, except as trial versions at most.

Edit None of these apps I mention, come with any free MIDI files, at least not for pop/rock songs, you have to provide them yourself.

Last edited by TheodorN; 04/06/15 03:42 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
TheodorN #2407583 04/07/15 02:12 PM
N
newbert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by TheodorN
Notation Musician/Composer and Rallentando's MIDI Illustrator are similar to this NoteStar app. You can feed MIDI files to them, and they show it as sheet music. MIDI Illustrator has the waiting feature, waits for you to hit the right notes, Musician and Composer do not. Of these, only MIDI Illustrator has a keyboard showing which notes to play according to the notes in the MIDI file.

Synthesia is another one, though the sheet music display is rather primitive. The owner has promised to improve it, though it's not clear when the promised improvements will be made. Home Concert Xtreme has all these features and some more.

Which features are you after? Only a MIDI player with sheet music display, or all these other features as well? If a sheet music display with a keyboard, showing where the notes fall, is enough, and with no inter-activity, then something like MIDI Sheet Music could suffice, and that one is free. The other ones I've mentioned are not free, except as trial versions at most.

Edit None of these apps I mention, come with any free MIDI files, at least not for pop/rock songs, you have to provide them yourself.

Thanks for your thoughts on this, but I don't think any of the software titles that you mentioned are similar to NoteStar.

NoteStar does not use MIDI files at all. You purchase what amount to audio files with scrolling sheet music, and it allows you to mute the audio file's piano/keyboard track so that you can play along as the pianist/keyboardist. In effect, it supplies the back-up band and singer and your score. The whole thing can be slowed down to 75%, 50%, and (I think) 25% for learning purposes and can be transcribed to any key.

There's really no need to hookup your DP or piano to the iPad at all. You just need to be able to hear the iPad's output.

I'm familiar with some of the software you mentioned (Home Concert Extreme and MIDI Illustrator) and they are completely different from NoteStar.

NoteStar does NOT use original artist's versions of the music, but is still pretty unique in what it does. I was just wondering whether there is anything similar on iPad or PC that might cover other artists music.

Note: I know how to read music, so I don't need something like synthesia. I guess the best way to describe it is that I just want to "play along as a member of the band" to pre-recorded tracks.

Thanks.

Bert
newbert #2407597 04/07/15 02:39 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
OK, thanks for clearing it up, then I can't help you much, it's out of my league. I don't know about anything close to what you describe, there are some programs that notate audio files, but require lots of afterwork, and most certainly don't provide accompaniment simultaneously.

The notation programs are about all I use with my computer, apart from viewing sheet music as PDF files. By the way, Synthesia also has notation display, I use it by and by, to improve my sight reading skills. That is, I can also read notes, but only at a snail's speed.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
newbert #2407675 04/07/15 05:18 PM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
That Notestar app sounds intriguing - thanks for posting about it.

Greg

sullivang #2407722 04/07/15 08:17 PM
N
newbert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by sullivang
That Notestar app sounds intriguing - thanks for posting about it.

Greg

You're welcome. Here's a link to a Youtube video that shows its features. Note, though, that NOT all songs support the "hands separate" practice illustrated in the video. (None of the songs that I've purchased do....)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TECDHeU03WU

Bert
newbert #2407960 04/08/15 11:30 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
so the biggest limitation then is it'll only work with songs that Yamaha has fixed up for you, eh? That's pretty limiting to the point of almost useless.

and while you're learning the song, it doesn't even wait? Won't you be spending a lot of time hitting it's rewind button? Or else maybe spend a lot of time hitting a "next line of sheet music" button? Hopefully there's some kind of looping feature.

I'm not sure I'm seeing any advantages over plain sheet music...

http://PianoCheetah.app - my weird piano practice program
Stephen Hazel #2408084 04/08/15 05:12 PM
N
newbert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Stephen Hazel
so the biggest limitation then is it'll only work with songs that Yamaha has fixed up for you, eh? That's pretty limiting to the point of almost useless.

and while you're learning the song, it doesn't even wait? Won't you be spending a lot of time hitting it's rewind button? Or else maybe spend a lot of time hitting a "next line of sheet music" button? Hopefully there's some kind of looping feature.

I'm not sure I'm seeing any advantages over plain sheet music...

There is.

Bert

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
MIDI to USB double output
by lukasz-zsakul - 11/30/20 04:57 PM
Chopin's Nocturne op 27 no.2 vs. op.72 no.1
by RhaegarTargaryen - 11/30/20 03:51 PM
back after 34 years
by JerryLouis - 11/30/20 02:44 PM
Roland FP-30 Bluetooth Connectivity Issue
by Yaboku - 11/30/20 01:08 PM
12 year old Yammy glue failure on 60% of the keys
by jkess114 - 11/30/20 12:29 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,170
Posts3,028,993
Members99,437
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission