Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Hurricane Irma & Our Piano Friends!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Who's Online Now
52 registered members (alfredo capurso, arnobuyens, AndyP, barbaram, amad23, Andy001, 11 invisible), 1,386 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2406843 - 04/05/15 06:51 PM Buy Casio PX-350 or wait for PX-360?  
greensky Offline
greensky  Offline

I've decided I'm either going to buy a Casio PX-350 this week or wait six months for what I think will be called the Casio PX-360. Right now the only keyboard I have is a Yamaha PSR500 with a few keys that output a higher volume than the others when played. Judging by the 2012 release of the PX-350, I'm guessing that the new model will be released at the end of September if they announce it at Summer NAMM 2015. With the PX-760 and PX-860 getting "partly new" tones and a hall simulator and this new model possibly getting a bump up from 128-note polyphony to 192 like the Yamaha P115 did, I'm wondering if these are features worth waiting for and paying $100 more?

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2406848 - 04/05/15 06:58 PM Re: Buy Casio PX-350 or wait for PX-360? [Re: greensky]  
ElmerJFudd Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ElmerJFudd  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Whether it's computers or cars, this is an endless conundrum. Make a solid educated decision, but buy what you need when you need it and get a fair price. There is always something newer and "better" around the corner. The music will bring you joy, the instrument is just the tool.

#2406872 - 04/05/15 08:58 PM Re: Buy Casio PX-350 or wait for PX-360? [Re: ElmerJFudd]  
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Sand Tiger  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Southern California
I vote buy now. If and when the new model comes out, it may be a while before it is actually available. It might be announced in September but may not ship until later.

In the case of the Kawai VPC some people had to wait a year or more, after it was "announced" to get delivery. To actually try that one in person? Very few got that chance, most bought based on the reviews. If a new unit comes out, and people don't like the new unit so much, then maybe you just wasted that time waiting.

You are speculating on a $100 increase. What if it is more like $200 or $300 at release time, with the older model(s) possibly on clearance? Will you want to pay that much for what may be an incremental improvement? Or might you still consider the older model?

The general public doesn't know when the new unit is coming out. It might be this year, but might be next year, or perhaps even the year after. What then?

So my vote is to buy now. There is certainty. You can try the unit, hands on, not just reviews. If and when a new unit comes out, a person can usually sell for maybe 70% to 80% of the new price after using it, depending on price paid.

#2406880 - 04/05/15 09:53 PM Re: Buy Casio PX-350 or wait for PX-360? [Re: Sand Tiger]  
fizikisto Offline
1000 Post Club Member
fizikisto  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hernando, MS
+1 I agree completely. The only caveat is that I think the Musikmesse trade show is happening in a couple of weeks. It might be worth waiting just to see if anything worthwhile is announced there. But only because that event is so close. In general, waiting for the next best thing is a fool's game.

Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
I vote buy now. If and when the new model comes out, it may be a while before it is actually available. It might be announced in September but may not ship until later.

In the case of the Kawai VPC some people had to wait a year or more, after it was "announced" to get delivery. To actually try that one in person? Very few got that chance, most bought based on the reviews. If a new unit comes out, and people don't like the new unit so much, then maybe you just wasted that time waiting.

You are speculating on a $100 increase. What if it is more like $200 or $300 at release time, with the older model(s) possibly on clearance? Will you want to pay that much for what may be an incremental improvement? Or might you still consider the older model?

The general public doesn't know when the new unit is coming out. It might be this year, but might be next year, or perhaps even the year after. What then?

So my vote is to buy now. There is certainty. You can try the unit, hands on, not just reviews. If and when a new unit comes out, a person can usually sell for maybe 70% to 80% of the new price after using it, depending on price paid.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2406888 - 04/05/15 10:36 PM Re: Buy Casio PX-350 or wait for PX-360? [Re: fizikisto]  
Brahms88 Offline
Brahms88  Offline

Originally Posted by fizikisto
I think the Musikmesse trade show is happening in a couple of weeks. It might be worth waiting just to see if anything worthwhile is announced there. But only because that event is so close. In general, waiting for the next best thing is a fool's game.

This is good advice; specifically, when Musikmesse and/or NAMM are within a month away, I'd wait to see what they have to offer.

Casio PX-5S
#2406891 - 04/05/15 10:56 PM Re: Buy Casio PX-350 or wait for PX-360? [Re: greensky]  
ElmerJFudd Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ElmerJFudd  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

True, but it will delay a purchase by more than the wait until Messe. Whatever new stuff they show won't likely be available to the public good sometime after the show. And it'll ship with 1.0 firmware.

#2406930 - 04/06/15 02:42 AM Re: Buy Casio PX-350 or wait for PX-360? [Re: greensky]  
Charles Cohen Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Richmond, BC, Canada
128-polyphony is _lots_ of sound.

The DP only has 88 keys. So to run out of notes, you must be using layered tones, not straight piano.

I've played with my forearms on the keys -- it's tough to make notes drop out on a PX-350.

. Charles

PS -- the question to ask is perhaps:

. . . Is the PX-360 sound going to be better than Pianoteq ?

If it's not, there's no good reason to wait. Just get the PX-350, Pianoteq, and enjoy playing.

PPS -- I use an X-stand, my piano hasn't fallen off yet:

https://on-stage.com/products/view/28613/116978

the triple-pedal is tied to the bottom.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
#2406996 - 04/06/15 07:57 AM Re: Buy Casio PX-350 or wait for PX-360? [Re: greensky]  
ElmerJFudd Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ElmerJFudd  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

When boards jumped to 128 polyphony it was a blessing for sure. However, running out of voices is not only a matter of using layered sounds. Heavy use of the sustain pedal eats up voices quickly. Particularly when performing virtuosic technics.... glisses, trills, 64th/128th notes, etc.

#2407102 - 04/06/15 01:53 PM Re: Buy Casio PX-350 or wait for PX-360? [Re: Charles Cohen]  
fizikisto Offline
1000 Post Club Member
fizikisto  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hernando, MS
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

PS -- the question to ask is perhaps:

. . . Is the PX-360 sound going to be better than Pianoteq ?

If it's not, there's no good reason to wait. Just get the PX-350, Pianoteq, and enjoy playing.

PPS -- I use an X-stand, my piano hasn't fallen off yet:

Well, pianoteq isn't an option for a lot of people, or at least is a very inconvenient option. If your computer is in a place where your keyboard won't fit, or if it's shared among members of the household, or if you don't have a computer, it can be a significant additional expense to get a dedicated computer just for the keyboard, or an inconvenience if you are sharing.

But yes, in principle you can always replace the sounds of your DP with something better if you have access to a computer and are willing/able to spend the money on a good virtual piano. smile

Also, I had an X stand and couldn't stand it (no pun intended). I kept banging my knees against it. I replaced it with a Z stand and was much happier. When I got my second digital piano, I splurged on a table top style stand, and enjoy it even more (though I wish it were just about an inch lower at its lowest setting). But obviously X-stands work great for a lot of people. So one's mileage may vary.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
#2407349 - 04/07/15 03:20 AM Re: Buy Casio PX-350 or wait for PX-360? [Re: greensky]  
greensky Offline
greensky  Offline

Thank you for the responses. I think I'll wait a week to see what news Musikmesse brings.

#2407375 - 04/07/15 05:10 AM Re: Buy Casio PX-350 or wait for PX-360? [Re: greensky]  
CarloPiano Offline
CarloPiano  Offline

I now partially regret buying the Casio Px-135 in march 2012 because the Px-150 was released just a few months after and it was a huge improvement over the former one: a much more comfortable and playable action, better decay... But it's the same story as always, you have to decide to buy in one moment because there always will be room for improvements, at least on something as improvable as a digital piano is (they can always design a better, more acoustic like action, more memory for samples, better resonance/decay/etc mathematical modelling...). You could be waiting forever...

Regarding Casio, this time (it's my guess) I don't think there's going to be such a dramatic improvement as it was form 130/135/330 to 150/350. But I think it's worth to wait a week to see what's coming next.

#2407381 - 04/07/15 05:55 AM Re: Buy Casio PX-350 or wait for PX-360? [Re: ElmerJFudd]  
Jasper E. Offline
Jasper E.  Offline

It might delay further. In case there is going to be something really convincing to wait for, in the category and in the price range.
I guess the OP was thinking about wait for better informed decision. These 1-2 weeks might worth for the information what is coming, especially if the manufacturer you are looking for had no new models for some years in the category you are looking for.

Kawai KDP-90
#2589013 - 11/21/16 05:16 PM Re: Buy Casio PX-350 or wait for PX-360? [Re: greensky]  
Filipe Offline
Filipe  Offline

Brasil, Rio de Janeiro.
So, which one did you buy? Are you happy with the 360? I'm planing to buy the 360.

Filipe Paiva
Saluton. Mi ludas panderon.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Problematic trill in minute waltz
by zsolpyW. 09/21/17 04:34 AM
Hand size (Yuja Wang) picture
by phantomFive. 09/21/17 01:12 AM
Yamaha P255 controller iOS app
by fary. 09/20/17 06:06 PM
Suggestions needed
by Twinstter. 09/20/17 04:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics181,954
Posts2,659,069
Members88,871
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission