2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
18 members (CyberGene, Lady Bird, johnstaf, Emery Wang, AZNpiano, Harpuia, Bigheaded, David B, albydooby, 4 invisible), 312 guests, and 446 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A long over due update...
#2405097 03/31/15 09:04 PM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
It's been a long time since I last posted here. I started my search for a piano on this site, heck it's gotta be 8-9 yrs ago. It lead me to purchasing a restored 1919 M&H A. I made a lot good friends here, have attended the Mason & Hamlin factory tour a couple of times, was able to put handshakes and greetings with names, have been to Franks Piano Party at his wonderful home, made to feel like an old friend.... Kathy and Frank are special people smile.

Time line
2006 Purchased a 1919 M&H A from a local Mom and Pop re-builder. Being mechanically inclined, I would frequent his shop and got exposed to the insides of the piano.

2008 Lost my job with Chrysler of 32+ yrs at age 52.

2009 My tuner (the same gentleman I purchased it from)came to tune my piano and inquired about my Chrysler job, after hearing I lost it, he took me into his shop as an apprentice, I studied under him for one year, I also did the Randy Potter course. In that time frame I purchased a 1909 S&S A and rebuilt it, from Soundboard, bridge, block, stripping and finishing, Renner action. Sold it 1 yr later.

2010 Started to work at a local piano store (a Yamaha Dealer), joined the PTG and attended my first National Convention. Talking to the Yamaha factory reps, I put my name in for the Little Red School House, 2 months later I was in CA attend said school... an opportunity of a live time I feel.

I'm currently working a couple of days in a another piano store doing shop work/repair/rebuild, still doing store repair work for the first store and establishing my own clientele. My weeks are busy now, I have a couple of my rebuilds I work on.

In the last 8 years I have lost my job, went through a divorce, have a a wonderful, beautiful woman, Dreama... that has gotten my into Ball Room Dancing (now thats something I never thought I'd be doing) and now she is teaching me to fly fish.... life is wonderful, as Dreama said "That God blessed the broken road, That led me straight to you". The piano world is a wonderful place and I just need to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH, to everyone I have come in contact with, now and in the future....

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta Area.
www.well-lovedpiano.com/atlanta-piano-technicians/
PTG Associate
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: A long over due update...
Les Koltvedt #2405099 03/31/15 09:19 PM
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
such a wonderful story, learning piano is difficult enough without all those bumps in the road. You have been very fortunate but more than likely pro-active in changing your future, fantastic.

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Les Koltvedt #2405102 03/31/15 09:26 PM
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Hi, Les! It's great to see you here again! I remember you coming back as a piano tech - glad to see it's still working for you. What a great story that was.

Yup, bumps in the road I see. But do you still play that great swinging music? Or just dance to it smile I always looked forward to hearing you play.

I'm so glad you dropped in to update us. Hope to hear from you a little more often smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Les Koltvedt #2405105 03/31/15 09:50 PM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the kind words.... I miss everyone, not to mention the recitals....I would like to record some soon, with access to some NICE pianos at the store, which includes a Sauter Omega 220, Petrof 237 and my fav so far is the Hailun 218.

Les Koltvedt
PTG Associate
Les Koltvedt #2405163 04/01/15 01:59 AM
C
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
C
What a fascinating story! Thank you!

When you learn fly-fishing, please do it with barbless hooks (or hooks with the barbs squeezed flat).

You'll understand why, as soon as your instruction starts.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
Les Koltvedt #2408346 04/09/15 10:00 AM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the tip Charles. We went to the Holy Waters over the weekend, scoping out some hot spots on the Ausable.

Les Koltvedt
PTG Associate
Les Koltvedt #2408354 04/09/15 10:15 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Great post Les!

Last edited by LarryShone; 04/09/15 10:15 AM.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1

My Facebook Piano Group
Les Koltvedt #2408508 04/09/15 03:13 PM

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Love the update! But you forgot to add that you have become one wicked Words With Friends player. wink

Les Koltvedt #2408916 04/10/15 04:03 PM
D
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
D
Great read!

Les Koltvedt #2409082 04/11/15 05:07 AM
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Les Koltvedt
It's been a long time since I last posted here. I started my search for a piano on this site, heck it's gotta be 8-9 yrs ago. It lead me to purchasing a restored 1919 M&H A. I made a lot good friends here, have attended the Mason & Hamlin factory tour a couple of times, was able to put handshakes and greetings with names, have been to Franks Piano Party at his wonderful home, made to feel like an old friend.... Kathy and Frank are special people smile.

Time line
2006 Purchased a 1919 M&H A from a local Mom and Pop re-builder. Being mechanically inclined, I would frequent his shop and got exposed to the insides of the piano.

2008 Lost my job with Chrysler of 32+ yrs at age 52.

2009 My tuner (the same gentleman I purchased it from)came to tune my piano and inquired about my Chrysler job, after hearing I lost it, he took me into his shop as an apprentice, I studied under him for one year, I also did the Randy Potter course. In that time frame I purchased a 1909 S&S A and rebuilt it, from Soundboard, bridge, block, stripping and finishing, Renner action. Sold it 1 yr later.

2010 Started to work at a local piano store (a Yamaha Dealer), joined the PTG and attended my first National Convention. Talking to the Yamaha factory reps, I put my name in for the Little Red School House, 2 months later I was in CA attend said school... an opportunity of a live time I feel.

I'm currently working a couple of days in a another piano store doing shop work/repair/rebuild, still doing store repair work for the first store and establishing my own clientele. My weeks are busy now, I have a couple of my rebuilds I work on.

In the last 8 years I have lost my job, went through a divorce, have a a wonderful, beautiful woman, Dreama... that has gotten my into Ball Room Dancing (now thats something I never thought I'd be doing) and now she is teaching me to fly fish.... life is wonderful, as Dreama said "That God blessed the broken road, That led me straight to you". The piano world is a wonderful place and I just need to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH, to everyone I have come in contact with, now and in the future....

You shared a lot......your life is better again.......Life is sweet, life is bitter........and yes, sometimes God repairs the broken way......
I know this by experience.....also lost my function at the age of 53, had a good lawyer, and by outplacement a new job........and no financial lost......but a heavy period....

Best regards
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Practicing triplets in rhythms
by zillybug - 04/09/20 10:06 PM
What keyboard is this
by Bruce In Philly - 04/09/20 07:00 PM
Biggest range of great sounds ?
by Edb123 - 04/09/20 04:40 PM
Mason and Hamlin “baby” grand - one key
by SeanMcD12 - 04/09/20 04:37 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics198,025
Posts2,943,601
Members96,550
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission