2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,163 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
BN,

Where are you shopping that you have such limited choices if you don't mind revealing?

David

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Casio Privia Series
Yamaha P Series
Kawai ES-100
Roland FP Series

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Markarian
Casio Privia Series
Yamaha P Series
Kawai ES-100
Roland FP Series

I don't know if the OP was seriously considering digitals, since this thread up until now has been about acoustic uprights.

While I agree that for $1K, a digital is a viable alternative to a used upright that may need a lot of work, some people really want an acoustic piano (despite the maintenance headaches).

With digitals, there are hidden costs for things like stands, pedals, speakers, etc. The Casio AP-650, their top-of-the-line cabinet digital, sells for closer to $2K. Yamaha, Kawai, and Roland offerings will exceed the Casio's price by a significant margin.

Colin Dunn
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by BohemianNewby
MusicPassion/BDB
Does that fact that it is a console 40" make any difference in your opinion. Or are you just saying because they are more difficult to work on and potentially less responsive to the player, any spinet action is best avoided?
Thanks
The best general advice over an Internet forum is to avoid a drop action. Of course in the real world condition trumps so much...
But basically if you keep looking you should be able to find a console in that price range (I don't call a piano a console if it has drop action).

Pianist and Piano Teacher
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Just for further clarity: when a piano has a drop action, I call it a spinet, regardless of what the tape measure might say. (Although I realize piano categories are sometimes very flexible).

Also in all fairness I've played some very charming spinets. But adding extra complexity to the action while at the same time hampering function just wasn't the best design feature.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Don't buy a cabinet digital, you are paying a huge premium for particleboard aesthetics.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
B
OP Offline
B
I am in the Northeast Ohio area. I do have a new option. I am waiting to hear back on a serial number but there is a Mason and Hamlin console which looks to be in good condition externally. I have eliminated the S&C due to some instability in the treble and I agree with the opinions here that the Baldwin does seem overpriced even for a console.

Are there years I should avoid the Mason and Hamlin? I have heard mixed reviews of the time they were manufactured by Aeolian. Was it still a better brand name during those years. I have heard good things about Chickering and Knabe also which were manufactured at the same time.

What was good and bad about the changes made during that period? Was there anything that contributed to better tone or durability?

I was just about to make an offer on the Everett when I saw this M&H. I don't want to lose the Everett but I don't know how to compare the two.

B
OP Offline
B
We already have a keyboard although not a high quality one. But we are definitely only interested in an acoustic piano. My girls are at the point of learning dynamics and their teacher said an acoustic piano would be very helpful although not completely necessary.

I have read enough on this forum to see that it is a good starting point for a beginner in my price range. Especially if the keys are weighted.

In any case, I appreciate all the advice I am receiving. KEEP IT COMING. THANK YOU!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission