2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
71 members (clothearednincompo, Bobbyfunkhouse, 36251, 1957, Bobetski, beeboss, 17 invisible), 488 guests, and 419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
No pedals . . .
#2400946 03/21/15 10:52 AM
Maths Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi!

I'm new to this forum, but I have been learning to play piano on my own for some 8 or 9 months now (with the help of Alfred's adult beginner piano course). I'm at the end of book 1 and checking out the beginning pieces in book 2. I've only got a digital piano with no pedals, and when the pedal was introduced in book one, I skipped its use (by playing those songs without it), and that's what I've been doing ever since.

Now I'm beginning book 2, and am concerned as to how the absence of piano pedals is going to affect my learning process. And that is my question to you all. I'm not in a position to buy the pedals at this point, and I really want to know what I'm missing. Could you guys possibly tell me something about that?

I live in a place where I'm the only one with a piano, or the passion to learn it, so I'm really looking forward to learning tons of piano related things from you all and improving my playing technique!

Thank you!

Maths

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: No pedals . . .
Maths #2400950 03/21/15 11:01 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't know what kind of piano you have, but you really only need one pedal to get started, and that's a sustain pedal. Most digital pianos have a dedicated jack for a sustain pedal. Unless you're concerned with half-pedaling, a simple one like this will probably do the trick:

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Sustain-Pedal-Action-Keyboards/dp/B00063678K/

Maths #2400952 03/21/15 11:02 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Pedaling is a key part of playing the piano. On the other hand, learning to play with finger legato is important too. But by book two, yes you need a sustain pedal.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Andy Platt #2400974 03/21/15 12:10 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
What piano do you have? There are a couple types of pedals and which dp will deterine which type.
What type of music do you want to play? Pedal would not be ccritical for Bach and you can make good progress on Haydn and Mozart with the understanding you will have to relearn quite a bit. Romanic music would be hard to learn without a pedal.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Maths #2401026 03/21/15 04:51 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
A pedal is a must, even for a complete beginner. The one David linked to is good because it will work with any keyboard. (I carry one as a back-up).

If the pedal you're looking at isn't switchable, you'll just need to know the brand of your keyboard. The polarity is sometimes switched on keyboards, meaning some are +/- and others are -/+. All keyboards of the same brand will usually have the same polarity setting. If you plug a pedal in and it holds notes when you release the pedal and stops them when you press it, you have the wrong kind. That's why I like the switchable ones. They're normally only $5 more.

It's not a big purchase, so I'd say go ahead and get one and then you don't have to worry about it anymore.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
Maths #2401043 03/21/15 06:27 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Children learn all the way up through advanced music before growing tall enough to reach the pedals. If you choose your repertoire accordingly, you won't need the pedal. Most if not all of the Suzuki repertoire is pedal-optional, depending on how you feel about leaving pedal out of a Chopin waltz or Granados dance smile
Pedal is really only crucial for some Romantic pieces that depend on one set of notes being sustained while the hands move to another location on the piano, and certain later composers like Debussy and Takemitsu who use pedal as a built-in aspect of composition.
Once the student grows tall enough, or gets an instrument with pedals, pedal can be added to lots of music as another dimension of sound production.

By the way, have you checked to see if your digital has a place to plug in a sustain pedal? Plug-in pedals can be had for $25 or so.

Heather W. Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Beethoven - Diabelli Variations Op. 120
Beethoven/Liszt - Symphony no. 7
Tommy (whole show)

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music
Maths #2401109 03/21/15 09:49 PM
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
It is only a matter of time before it will become essential, yes you can play repertoire to work around it but why would you want to do that. I managed without a pedal in my first year but by the second it was a must for 50% of the pieces. I only have a modest Yamaha P105 dp that can only take one pedal (sustain) and that is all I need.

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
hreichgott #2401181 03/22/15 03:43 AM
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by hreichgott
Children learn all the way up through advanced music before growing tall enough to reach the pedals.

Another reason to also have a digital. The pedal's on the end of a wire, so you can put it up on blocks as high as your children need.

As to the original question, yes, go buy a pedal. It's a worthwhile exercise to try finger legato, and you should continue to do it regularly. But it shouldn't be the only thing you ever do.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Maths #2401207 03/22/15 06:59 AM
The model of pedal that David links to is the one I had for my first Yamaha electronic keyboard when I had it (gave it subsequently to a friend), and it's a good, solid model, far superior to the cheap plastic thing that had originally come with my keyboard. It connected to a quarter-inch jack socket on the back of the keyboard. By now, you should be thinking of getting familiar with the pedal. I found it tricky at first, as I hadn't realised that when you lift off the pedal is as important as when you engage it, so there's a synchronisation skill to be learned in bringing your foot in to play with your hands. But like all skills, facility becomes acquired through practice. The first piece I remember finding it really useful was 'Over the Rainbow' in the Alfred book, where the sustain gave me time to move my hands to the next position in order to pick up the flow of the melody, a very satisfying moment for me when it actually worked. It's not an expensive item, so it'll cost you little to get one.

Maths #2401223 03/22/15 08:23 AM
Maths Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi!

Thank you all SO much for replying! It feels amazing to be a part of such an active and helpful community!

From your replies I've decided that you guys are right that I should buy a sustain pedal. I looked into my piano manual and found out that Yamaha FC4 or FC5 is compatible with it. I'm wondering which one would be best for me? I checked out the link that David gave, and I have no idea if that padal is the best option or the ones in the manual. Could you please guide me as to how to decide?

I'm really thrilled to have so many helpful people around here who have such knowledge about piano. It feels great to have people who can advice me. I look forward to learning a lot from you guys.

Once again, thanks a ton for helping me!

Maths

P.S. I have a Yamaha PSR 270 keyboard.

Maths #2401240 03/22/15 09:57 AM
MRC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Maths
From your replies I've decided that you guys are right that I should buy a sustain pedal. I looked into my piano manual and found out that Yamaha FC4 or FC5 is compatible with it. I'm wondering which one would be best for me? I checked out the link that David gave, and I have no idea if that padal is the best option or the ones in the manual. Could you please guide me as to how to decide?

Get either the FC4 (if you're intent on having Yamaha original) or the M-Audio SP-2 that David recommended (probably as good as the Yamaha and less expensive). Both of these will give you the feel of a real piano pedal.

Steinway A grand (1919), Richard Lipp grand (1913), Yamaha P2 upright (1983), Casio PX-150 digital (2013)
MRC #2401245 03/22/15 10:35 AM
The Yamaha FC4 and the M-Audio pedals are pretty much classic designs that look like pedals, whereas the FC5 is more like a foot switch than a pedal, and the FC5 is what came with my first digital piano. Didn't like it, plugged in the M-Audio instead. It didn't tend to skid along the floor the way the FC5 did.

Maths #2401271 03/22/15 12:04 PM
Maths Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks a lot for replying, MRC and Purkoy.

I'm not specifically interested in buying the Yamaha original pedal. It looks like the M-audio pedal will work fine enough. It's actually less expensive then the original, like you said, so right now it seems to be the best option for me. If both the original and M-Audio work equally well, then it's no use buying the expensive original one. So I'll probably get it at the earliest possible opportunity.

Thanks for guiding me! I'm really glad I got your advice in time. smile

Maths #2401272 03/22/15 12:05 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you have a Yamaha piano but it doesn't support half-pedaling, the M-Audio will be just as good as the FC5 and half the price. The only thing you may have to do it flip the polarity switch on the pedal. I agree with Purkoy - my first piano came with an FC5 and it isn't anything in style or feel to a real sustain pedal. I replaced it with the M-Audio.

David Farley #2401294 03/22/15 01:34 PM
Maths Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't think my piano supports half-pedaling, so I'll definitely buy the M-Audio pedal. It seems to be the optimum choice, both in terms of price and performance. Thanks for the info!

Maths #2401551 03/23/15 04:25 AM
C
C
Originally Posted by Maths

Now I'm beginning book 2, and am concerned as to how the absence of piano pedals is going to affect my learning process. And that is my question to you all. I'm not in a position to buy the pedals at this point, and I really want to know what I'm missing. Could you guys possibly tell me something about that?

You should start using a pedal in pieces as soon as you can and I think you miss a lot if you don't. This is an essential part of learning piano. Once you start using it, you'll never want to stop smile

Last edited by Celdor; 03/23/15 04:26 AM.

Zbigniew

[Linked Image]
Maths #2401585 03/23/15 08:12 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
And congratulations on finishing volume 1 in 8 months!

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
PhilipInChina #2401638 03/23/15 11:24 AM
Maths Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks!! smile

Although I've finished it, I can't say I played all the songs flawlessly- I've been learning on my own and have never had a teacher, so obviously I can't judge my own performance. Also, I skipped the pedal use, and it will be a while before I get a pedal from somewhere and learn (from book 1) to use it.

Besides, I haven't been able to play the bonus songs, so I haven't finished the whole book, in a way. I find those songs a bit too difficult, and they aren't even on the cd that came with the book. Have you had any experience with Alfred's books?

Maths #2401664 03/23/15 01:03 PM

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
1000 Post Club Member
Of course you can judge your own performance! Check other people's recordings on Youtube and record yourself. That's the way to learn without a teacher. Also, check the threads on the Alfred course here on PianoWorld, many people are using or have used these books, myself included.

sinophilia #2402068 03/24/15 11:29 AM
Maths Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Sinophilia smile I didn't know there were special threads on Alfred's books. I'm checking them out now and they look really useful and will certainly help me a lot with my learning.

I haven't recorded myself yet but will be doing soon, now that I know. It seems like a good way to judge yourself through recording- I'm glad you told me. This forum seems to be very helpful and I'm already learning so much stuff. I can't help wishing I had known about it when I first started learning piano!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Gospel-Jazz Chord Progression & Scale
by BB666 - 10/30/20 07:33 AM
Guitar Center Mulls Restructuring
by newer player - 10/30/20 12:44 AM
Anthony Hopkins / National Cat Day
by MH1963 - 10/29/20 09:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,489
Posts3,018,746
Members99,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission