2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Any piano experts know how to seat this better on the stand? It really doesn't seem stable as it wobbles. This is the stand that was, "made" for this piano, but I almost feel like a folded towel on each side would make it fit better. Anybody with more experience know what I am missing?

Link to pictures

Not on Facebook, but pretty visible at Google+
https://plus.google.com/+DruMorgan
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Memory foam might help.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Looks like you have it too high. How far from the floor to the top of the keys? My privia is set to 28 inches. Lowering the stand will increase stability. Your bench is lower relative to the keys, but that may depend on your body proportions. My bnch sits about 4 inches above the cross of the x braces. Your is even. Its hard to judge without pics of you playing from a couple of different angles.

If that doesn't help there are always zip ties.

This is a generic stand,not one specific to your keyboard

Last edited by DragonPianoPlayer; 03/15/15 04:56 PM.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
255 Offline
Originally Posted by Dru Morgan
It really doesn't seem stable as it wobbles.

Of course. It's a X-stand.
Buy something with this shape:
http://cms.rolandcorp.com.au/assets/images/products/gallery/ks_18z_angle_gal.jpg
or better:
http://www.ultimatesupport.com/images/product/large/JS-MPS1_1_LG.jpg

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I set mine forward, so the front edge sits on the rubber ends. that means the back edge doesn't sit on the rubber, but it seems to work for me.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Apart from the wobbling... how on earth do you get your legs in there, and pedals??

Second link of 255 seems a better solution, if you don't want to go with a wooden 'cabinet' (not sure if they make one for this piano).

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Jytte, foir my set up, I have a board that keeps my pedals positioned with about an inch in font of the cross braces. He only thing under the stand is my feet. I suspect the reason the OP has his bench and stand positioned this way is to try to get his legs under his stand. Having the keyboard at the front will also make sure he doesn't have his legs underneath the stand.

Duble X stands are stable if positioned correctly. Not like single X stands.

Cathy, do you stand or sit for practicing/perorming?

If the duct tape or zip ties don't work, my last suggestion is velcro. If that fails time for a new stand.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Silly question, but are you sure you don't have it upside down?

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I've done both, sit and stand. I always stood when the band played anywhere - there were so many of us that I just figured we needed the room.

I keep my pedal from moving by backing it up to a couple of bungee cords I have looped around the bottom floor braces. It's easily movable to adjust to either the placement I need when sitting or standing - further back when I'm sitting, further forward when I'm standing.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
B
B
I had a similar issue with a lightweight Yamaha Piaggero which is quite narrow. Move the keyboard to the front of the stand. Cut the ends out of the rear rubber grips and slide them in so they are under a solid part of the keyboard. You might need to slot them around the supports and make good with some gaffa tape. Alternatively buy some foam pipe insulation from your friendly hardware store. Check out photos on Bellbuoy144 page in Google+

Peter

S
S
Another vote for foam pipe insulation from a home improvement store. It is usually about 1/2 inch thick and should slowly compress enough under the weight of your DP to hold it securely. The pipe insulation usually is black in color, so it will look like part of your stand.

Last edited by Silver Keys; 03/16/15 10:09 PM.

So much music and so little time!
-----------------------------------
1916 Mason & Hamlin BB
Yamaha P155
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Pipe insulation might work.

Adhesive-backed Velcro will surely work. It's cheap and reliable. Put four half-wraps around the crossbars of the X-stand. Put four rectangles on the bottom of the piano, matching the position of the half-wraps.

Position the piano on the stand, and press it down gently. It won't slip.

If you need to disassemble everything, just hold down the stand with your feet, and lift the piano off.

There are "high-strength" variants of Velcro. The original stuff is easy to find in fabric stores. The "high-strength" stuff is in Home Depot and other hardware stores.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
One other thought:

. . . Are the top crossbars parallel to each other?

If the whole stand is slightly twisted out of shape, twist it back _into_ shape.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by jotur
I set mine forward, so the front edge sits on the rubber ends. that means the back edge doesn't sit on the rubber, but it seems to work for me.

That's exactly what I do when I use an X stand. Seems to be more stable that way. Also take a look at the rubber. Some keyboard stands have different thickness of rubber so that you can rotate it to get the perfect balance. Mine has a flat spot so it connects to the keyboard better.

Does it rock on the floor too or just the keyboard doesn't feel stable on it? They're not really "made" specifically for each keyboard. It's more of a weight rating and how many beams it has.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
OP Offline
It is "square" (not bent/twisted), sits securely on the floor. Sliding the keyboard forward helped. I will look for the pipe insulation as that seems intuitively to give it what it needs. Though, honestly, a "plank" of wood laid out on top would give it a perfectly flat table-like surface to sit. I might look for a nice piece of wood.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That X stand style of keyboard stand is the cheapest to make and may work -ok- with a non weighted keyboard (which a real piano player would NEVER use except in a pinch). Digital pianos have more weight than those lite key excuses for keyboards. And they are gonna wobble all over the place.

Up your game and get a real stand with 4 metal legs, or one of those dual Z metal stands. Or, you know, deal with the wobble.

Good luck to ya.

http://PianoCheetah.app - my weird piano practice program
OP Offline
Yes, they do make a full wooden stand for this model (Yamaha P105) which includes the three pedals. I might have to make the jump. You know, if I want to be a "real" piano player.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stephen Hazel
That X stand style of keyboard stand is the cheapest to make and may work -ok- with a non weighted keyboard (which a real piano player would NEVER use except in a pinch). Digital pianos have more weight than those lite key excuses for keyboards. And they are gonna wobble all over the place.

Up your game and get a real stand with 4 metal legs, or one of those dual Z metal stands. Or, you know, deal with the wobble.

Good luck to ya.

Stephen, I use a Double X stand similar to the OP's with a Casio Privia. No extra support. The stand is rock solid. I had a single x stand before this one, which was flimsy.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission