Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
131 registered members (AlphaBravoCharlie, Andymania, ando, Adypiano, anotherscott, accordeur, Animisha, amad23, Andrew_G, 27 invisible), 1,485 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
choosing new cabinet piano #2398278
03/15/15 05:23 AM
03/15/15 05:23 AM
M
markiemark Offline OP
markiemark  Offline OP
M

I am still deciding on a cabinet piano , I currently have a kawai es 100 and a korg pa 300 keyboard.

I haven't got the room for both and I am thinking about getting a dp that covers both my piano playing and keyboard playing

things it must have are weighted keys 88 notes in a cabinet with a closing lid , and a accomp section that follows the chords I play on left hand , I like playing keyboard style with chords on the left hand and I also like learning piano with both hands

my budget is around 900 - 1000 pounds

I do like the kawai quality of the keys which to me are slightly heavier than the standard Yamaha keys although I wouldn't be fussed If the one I get is slightly lighter feel but not heavier like the Yamaha gh

i have discounted Yamaha clavino cvp range as they are just too far out of my budget range

i have seen a reconditioned kawai kcp 80 but then realised its a bit older technology , i cant see any newer kawais with accomp section for my budget which is a shame , others i am considering is casio ap 650 and roland 401r not sure how they compare to the kawai key feel , the accomp section needs to be reasonable , i realise it wont be as good as the korg pa 300 sound engine but i want more than just drum rhythm's and a good 8 beat accomp and a good jazz accomp that follws chords on left hand if anyone has any feedback on my above mentioned models or any others i may have missed let me know i have done some searching of older threads i think the 401 seems favourable , the casio 650 seems to have lot of good features and can be had for around 700 pounds in uk but i am concerned about the key quality , i haven't got option to try any models my main stockist of casio stock anything but the 650 although i have yet to contact a dealer in Sheffield uk who may have one to try , roland dealers are non existent in my part of the world and kawai for that matter

thanks mark

thanks mark

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: choosing new cabinet piano [Re: markiemark] #2398281
03/15/15 05:50 AM
03/15/15 05:50 AM
M
markiemark Offline OP
markiemark  Offline OP
M

another one i have considered is the Yamaha dgx 650 although i know its a slab type dp it does seem to have a lot of features to cover piano and keyboard playing i did start out on a psr e333

and can be had for a good price not sure how the key feels compared to kawai i did try a 620 in a shop once and the keys felt really heavy

Re: choosing new cabinet piano [Re: markiemark] #2398298
03/15/15 07:37 AM
03/15/15 07:37 AM
M
markiemark Offline OP
markiemark  Offline OP
M

I gather the f130 r roland is same spec as 401 apart from cabinet and control layout being more to the left sleeker more modern design I like it apart from where you put your music book seems a bit thin more suited to an ipad ! but looks nice anyone have either of these models ? wondered what the key action was like

Last edited by markiemark; 03/15/15 07:48 AM.
Re: choosing new cabinet piano [Re: markiemark] #2398413
03/15/15 01:22 PM
03/15/15 01:22 PM
UK
M
markalien Offline
markalien  Offline
M

UK
I would definately recommend the roland f 130r, it fits all your requirements
and the key action is fantastic. I played it a few weeks back and I'm looking to purchase it soon. I've tried out loads of cabinet style pianos in this price range and for me the roland f 130r and the yamaha ydp s51 are the best at this price point (in my humble opinion). The Ap 650 has bigger speakers and perhaps a fuller sound, but that is about the only advantage. The matt key finish on the celviano is quite unique - not to my liking - the roland has the ivory feel keys, and the casios have a cheap looking console unfortunately.

You would have to play them yourself though - one man's meat....

Re: choosing new cabinet piano [Re: markiemark] #2398489
03/15/15 04:03 PM
03/15/15 04:03 PM
M
markiemark Offline OP
markiemark  Offline OP
M

thanks for reply mark , I read good things about the f130 on here , how was the keys in regards to any nasty noises or clicking ? I like my kawai es 100 the keys are faultless in my opinion a little on the heavy side but very good quality , the speakers aren't great , I come to realise that any dp with 8 watts or less in each speaker the overall sound from them isn't going to be great I was going to go for the kawai kdp90 which is similar in someways to the f130 but for a bit extra I fancy the f130 because of the accomp section , did you try that at all ? I have tried a few lower end casio but wasn't that impressed

think I am going to go for the roland just need to sell my other keyboard and piano first !

mark

Re: choosing new cabinet piano [Re: markiemark] #2398536
03/15/15 06:15 PM
03/15/15 06:15 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by markiemark
thanks for reply mark , I read good things about the f130 on here , how was the keys in regards to any nasty noises or clicking ? . . .

. . . but for a bit extra I fancy the f130 because of the accomp section , did you try that at all ? I have tried a few lower end casio but wasn't that impressed

The two F130R's I've played have had quiet keys -- perfectly OK. Significantly better than the older "Ivory Feel-G" keyboard.

You might like to try a Casio PX-350, if you haven't. It's got full auto-accompaniment / auto-chording / automatic harmony (in the right hand). Decent sound generator, inadequate amps and speakers. Or a Casio PX-780 (same as PX-350 in a cabinet, with better speakers). Or a Casio AP-650 (I think).

If you've tried it and didn't like it, I won't be offended. Tastes differ.

. Charles

PS -- Bias -- I own a PX-350.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: choosing new cabinet piano [Re: markiemark] #2398692
03/16/15 03:16 AM
03/16/15 03:16 AM
M
markiemark Offline OP
markiemark  Offline OP
M

thanks for reply Charles I am leaning towars the roland , I not tried the casio 350 I did try the 220 or something lke that model number wasn't great the 350 seems to have better if not higher wattage speakers how do you rate the 35o ? are the keys quality ok ?

Re: choosing new cabinet piano [Re: markiemark] #2398972
03/16/15 06:12 PM
03/16/15 06:12 PM
BusyWait Offline
BusyWait  Offline

How does the key weight of the Casio AP650/AP460 compare with the Roland FP-130R or RP401R? I've got an RP-401R, and the action was heavier than the Yamaha and Kawai that I auditioned it against. I didn't find a Casio to try it against. (I had to relearn playing at any kind of speed on the Roland after only using unweighted keys recently.)

Regards,
Steven
---
(Re)beginner
Roland RP401R
Re: choosing new cabinet piano [Re: markiemark] #2399392
03/17/15 06:22 PM
03/17/15 06:22 PM
UK
M
markalien Offline
markalien  Offline
M

UK
I found the key weight of the Roland heavier than the casios personally.

Re: choosing new cabinet piano [Re: markiemark] #2399475
03/17/15 09:27 PM
03/17/15 09:27 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
I think, if you have an action that doesn't clunk, and that's not _very_ heavy or _very_ light (e.g. the Yamaha "GHS" in the P105):

. . . You'll quickly get used to whatever you buy.

I'm happy playing on the PX-350, but I'm not doing difficult stuff. The new Casio's (PX-150 / PX-350 etc) are better than anything Casio produced in the past, so don't judge them by your experience with a pre-2013 model.

The PX-350 speakers don't do the piano justice. I use a PA speaker instead. If you want nice built-in sound, a Roland F130R is a better choice.

. Charles

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 03/17/15 09:30 PM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: choosing new cabinet piano [Re: markiemark] #2399543
03/18/15 02:06 AM
03/18/15 02:06 AM
J
Jasper E. Offline
Jasper E.  Offline
J

Originally Posted by markiemark
I am still deciding on a cabinet piano , I currently have a kawai es 100 and a korg pa 300 keyboard.

I haven't got the room for both and I am thinking about getting a dp that covers both my piano playing and keyboard playing

things it must have are weighted keys 88 notes in a cabinet with a closing lid , and a accomp section that follows the chords I play on left hand , I like playing keyboard style with chords on the left hand and I also like learning piano with both hands

my budget is around 900 - 1000 pounds

I do like the kawai quality of the keys [...]

i have seen a reconditioned kawai kcp 80 but then realised its a bit older technology , i cant see any newer kawais with accomp section for my budget [...]

thanks mark

Hello Mark,

yeah, the accompaniment makes it not so easy. When googling around Kawai pianos I bumped into a demo of Kawai KCP90, which might be interesting for you... I just remember it, it was not intersting for me as I would definitely be more interested in a CN25.
Now I was googling it again, and I have found it only in the US/Australia frown . It might worth a question to the local Kawai distributor...

Last edited by Jasper E.; 03/18/15 02:07 AM. Reason: typo

Kawai KDP-90

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help for University course
by Bln99. 10/15/19 08:31 AM
raise up tuning in 20 minutes?
by Andymania. 10/15/19 07:53 AM
Input on NY Steinway D rebuild
by Erchoukyrie. 10/15/19 07:52 AM
[UK] Ivory Act 2018
by etherline. 10/15/19 07:43 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,530
Posts2,879,282
Members94,669
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission