2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, 9 invisible), 1,393 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Whizbang
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
bennevis, Guild has a track called Hobbyist where you don't have to memorize.

Speaking as someone who memorizes poorly and who doesn't perform memorized pieces more consistently, ew.

My sentiments exactly.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The question in this thread is about exams. For some reason, Guild was mentioned a few posts into this thread, after which we got the explanation that Guild isn't involved in exams. But the discussion keeps going back to what Guild does. That would be ok, except that a teacher tried to get the discussion back to the topic, and listed four specific questions. I was hoping to see what the answers might be. There was a post addressing her right after, but only to state that she had been young when her teacher did Guild with her - that could not have been in answer to her question.

In case anyone (besides me) is interested in the questions the Missbelle raised, I'm bumping the post.

Originally Posted by missbelle
Looking back at the four original questions in the OP,
let's get back to those, ok? cool

Originally Posted by MaggieGirl
If you ask a family to have their student participate in exams and they decide not to, does that change your relationship? ONE

Have you told a student that taking exams will look good on their college applications? TWO

.........(snip)..... So would having certificates in piano be an asset? THREE
.......(snip)...........
I guess I am wondering if piano teachers in general find that testing is important. And if they don't test, do you lose interest in them as students? FOUR

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
NO exams .... and no recitals. No children under eight. No half size keyboards. No children taking lessons who don't WANT to take those lessons. A half hour a day practice ...

And I promise that my students will love music .... will enjoy it all their lives. They will also LEARN the notes and the basics of playing without being drowned in technicalities and details which they'll never need or use. I will introduce them to the finest of the classics ( without telling them of course) ... I will play great music for them now and then so they can experience the thrill of a concert level perfomance. I will make those lessons enjoyable and sometimes we'll enjoy a laugh . I will give each child confidence without letting him slide or get lazy. This is my mission and I won't be swayed.

Parents who don't understand this ethos or don't agree can find their child another teacher. It won't be me. Music is one of life's great joys ... it is for me a sacred joy. I won't defile it for stupid pushy parents. And I won't waste learning time stalled on the same pieces played over and over to garner a few extra marks on a totally inconsequential exam or two minutes display at a recital.

( And I'm never a curmudgeon around my students ... LOL) laugh

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
FYI.. My wife and I completed our Guild exams an hour ago. For those who are interested, I detailed my experiences in the ABF.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by keystring
The question in this thread is about exams. For some reason, Guild was mentioned a few posts into this thread, after which we got the explanation that Guild isn't involved in exams. But the discussion keeps going back to what Guild does.

For a parent (or student) worried about saying "no" to "playing for someone other than your teacher in a formal situation from which you will get some kind of feedback, be it anywhere on the gamut from a minimal 'yes/no' to a maximal 'comments on at least 40 categories'", I would think that the distinction that Guild is not an exam would be a distinction that makes no difference.

The four questions seem equally questions one might ask a teacher who recommends Guild, as any other teacher, and for much the same reasons. Just substitute "Guild" for "exam" or "test" to have the correctly altered version of the questions, which address the same underlying concerns someone might have.

Originally Posted by MaggieGirl
If you ask a family to have their student participate in exams and they decide not to, does that change your relationship? ONE

Have you told a student that taking exams will look good on their college applications? TWO

.........(snip)..... So would having certificates in piano be an asset? THREE
.......(snip)...........
I guess I am wondering if piano teachers in general find that testing is important. And if they don't test, do you lose interest in them as students? FOUR

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
congratulations to both of you!

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by hreichgott
congratulations to both of you!

Thanks! Based on the last few months of preparing for today, and then having today finally happen, I have a new appreciation of why some teachers are for this concept in general, and why some are against it.

In re-reading some of these comments I now realize that there could be quite a difference between the way an adult student views something like this, as opposed to a younger student. I think this thread in general is geared toward the younger learner, which might explain why my own views are quite different from those teachers who have expressed a dislike for piano exams in general.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Realize that we are getting in further off topic but...

As a piano mom, I think the biggest difference between us as adults and our children is that we have much higher expectations for ourselves. I mean at 8, you make mistakes/ are corrected all of the time so they aren't so much of a big deal and I think that is one of the most powerful things about youth.

Yamaha G2
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoMom2006
Realize that we are getting in further off topic but...

As a piano mom, I think the biggest difference between us as adults and our children is that we have much higher expectations for ourselves. I mean at 8, you make mistakes/ are corrected all of the time so they aren't so much of a big deal and I think that is one of the most powerful things about youth.

Interesting. I'm starting to operate in the opposite manner; I know I do some things very well. Playing piano happens to not be one of them. *shrug*

Learner
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission