2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments. Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
92 members (AndrewJCW, ambrozy, anotherscott, Baltguy, Abdol, Beansparrow, BachToTheFuture, Bentsch, 23 invisible), 894 guests, and 601 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
feeling a bit stuck
#2396633 03/11/15 03:34 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Just wanted some advice as I am a beginner , I am seeing an improvement in my playing on simple pieces on left and right hand and getting more fluent and recognising the notes more easily , I have started a piece that is a bit more challenging for me such as notes starting together on both hands and notes going in opposite directions together , I found myself just staring at the music before my brain registered how to synchronise both hands and I was very slow and pausing but hitting the right notes once it had registered in my brain to my hands , I did think at one point will I ever be able to get this lol is this kind of a normal learning curve that will improve over time ? just wondered if any others beginners have been through this , its more my left hand than right as my right was further on having played keyboard for a few months so my right hand has a better perception of where it is and what to press more than my left

thanks mark

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: feeling a bit stuck
markiemark #2396636 03/11/15 03:40 AM
M
M
Yes, this is very normal.
Time seems to be the secret to everything with learning the piano. But we all look for instant results.
The increments of progress are so slow we often don't even notice them. Like how you don't notice your children growing when you see them each day.

Once a month or so, take a few moments to reflect where you were this time, 1 month / 6 months / 1 year ago.

markiemark #2396642 03/11/15 04:11 AM
M
OP Offline
M
thanks I don't mind it taking time one of the reasons I got into it is just a creative hobby with no time and result expectations , I know it will be difficult at times i just wanted to know if it was a normal learning curve which thankfully you say it is

mark

markiemark #2396645 03/11/15 04:17 AM
M
OP Offline
M
one of my main goals was having played percussion in a band many years ago and learned guitar was to learn to read music i have always admired/ envied people who can read music and i get a real buzz being able to begin to understand it i not fluent with reading music on both treble and bass cleff but i am getting there and can read c scale on bass and up to A on treble sometimes its quite fluent and other times i just look at the note on the music before it clicks more so the further away i go from middle c lol

mark

markiemark #2396648 03/11/15 04:30 AM
M
OP Offline
M
you are right about the progress , the book i learning from has got harder hence the reason i posted my struggles but i picked up another book i purchased a while ago that i realise now was slightly easier than the current one but when i got it seemed really difficult at that time i only progressed a third of the way before switching to my current one because the teaching method suited me better , when i looked at the first one this morning i was able to play a song pretty much straight off being the first time i had seen the song and it was right at the end of the book so i felt quite pleased about that lol

mark

markiemark #2396674 03/11/15 06:29 AM
M
M
Well done Mark,
It really helps to have little reminders like revisiting things you once found tough, just to measure how far you've come.
Like you, I would love to be able to sigh read fluently, and I put in lots of practice. At the moment I honestly feel I'm not improving at all though.
So I've put a note on my calendar one month from now to test how many notes a minute I can read.
Simple goals like this help keep me focussed and working towards a long term goal.

markiemark #2396681 03/11/15 06:56 AM
Bsw Offline
Mark. I go thru the same thing. I read a note about keeping a journal. For me it is a good idea. I can read back and see that I am advancing.

Started October 2014
Faber & Faber 3
Faber & Faber 2B completed
Alfred's Adult All-In-One
[Linked Image]
markiemark #2396692 03/11/15 07:33 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Every time I start a new piece I believe it will be the piece that is too hard for me to play. It hasn't happened yet (except for the current crop of new pieces), and it only happens less frequently now because I work on pieces for longer.

Learner
markiemark #2396709 03/11/15 08:10 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's also a good idea to record yourself from time to time. I looked back at a video of myself playing a few months back and was shocked at my progress. It's very encouraging! smile

malkin #2396846 03/11/15 02:29 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
Every time I start a new piece I believe it will be the piece that is too hard for me to play. It hasn't happened yet (except for the current crop of new pieces), and it only happens less frequently now because I work on pieces for longer.

EXACTLY my feelings as well. And every time I am eventually able to play it well enough for my teacher to pass me on it. Some take a week, some take 3-4 weeks.

I think by this time I should know better. frown

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
markiemark #2397565 03/13/15 11:57 AM
I started 2 1/2 month ago and I feel the exactly same way.. but all the advice and great comments here always go back to "Time"

But I sure do enjoy instant gratification. Nevertheless, I'm enjoying the heck of out this and just taking my time.

[Linked Image]
Adventures in Piano
Started 1 Jan 2015 Quit - 2016. Fresh start Jan 2019
Kimball Upright Piano
Yamaha YPT-240

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New - Hammond SK-Pro organ & synth (SK1 upgrade)
by Doug M. - 01/15/21 01:09 PM
New Korg announcements in a few days...
by clothearednincompo - 01/15/21 12:17 PM
Estonia 190
by Walkman - 01/15/21 12:02 PM
My 'Gentle' and 'quieter' tuning technique
by Beemer - 01/15/21 10:46 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,265
Posts3,046,950
Members100,063
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission